The Topic of Great Randomness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aurora said:
    That hurt. I spent half my life pulling the highest grades imaginable, I'm easily a top student, and I work my butt off studying about three hours a day, and I don't even get a pat on the head with a "good girl."
    And it's not as if the law is the worst field to be trying to get into. I know there are jokes about lawyers, but it's generally considered a good ambition.

At least you have Alastair to be supportive, though. And, if you play it safe and don't try to do what you want, you'll be stuck forever wondering if you could have done what you wanted - so I agree, you should go for it.
    Just the FAQs, ma'am: Chat, Board and Books.

Comment

• Um, wildflower, are you talking about me when you say Lisa, and if so, what are you talking about?
      Founder of the "Posts for ToGR" foundation. Keep the ToGR alive by a donation of one post!
      "But before the happily ever after, there was always a kiss." ~Misread, my novel-in-progress!
      "If I wasn't smart, I'd be dead."~The Naming, by Alice Croggon

Comment

• OMG no! She's a mod on that site, and she's not very nice sometimes. Whoops. Sorry about that...
        *Whacks Poot*

I edited the post, so it doesn't say Lisa anymore. Heh. Oops...

Comment

• Aurie, dunno what your sitch is, and I could be talking out my hat, but if you're forced into the engineering thing kicking and screaming against your will, via circumstances, I just want to mention that I have a friend who majored in engineering and materials science and worked as an engineer for five or six years before going to law school and becoming a patent attorney. And he makes about twice as much as he did as an engineer.

There are always ways...
          New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

• wildflower, thanks for clearing that up.
            Random: when I first started posting, I thought all of you were like, 16-20, but I was amazed to hear you're (mostly) around 11-15, my age! It was cool, and I'm now very glad I'm reading the TOGR all the way through, because I probably wouldn't know that you're all about my age! And since I'me shy, I'd wouldn't post much! Yay randomness!
            Founder of the "Posts for ToGR" foundation. Keep the ToGR alive by a donation of one post!
            "But before the happily ever after, there was always a kiss." ~Misread, my novel-in-progress!

Comment

• Now the teacher just assigns questions 1-5 on Austrailia and doesn't talk about anything.
              What are the questions? Ask away!

andom: when I first started posting, I thought all of you were like, 16-20, but I was amazed to hear you're (mostly) around 11-15, my age!
              Mmmm... does anyone want to have a stab at the average age for the boards? I'd say it was around the 15-16 mark, but that's just me.

Hehe.. I'm watching Dr. Who at the moment! I want that scarf. Its cool . Now its finished and I have half an hour before any good TV comes on. Ohwell... gives me time to post..

My feet are sore I've been working for two days now, I dunno what my boss'd do without the three of us that have finished school ... And I have this fake smile plastered on my face... its kinda scary.

Aww ... my poor cats. They had matted fur and we had to take them to the vets to be shaved. They're part persian and now they have a fluffy head and tail and legs (they look like they're wearing Ugh((THATS AN AUSTRALIAN WORD!!! - sorry, I just got annoyed last year when some American company decided to copyright the name )) Boots) I will post a pic when one comes. I need to charge my camera batteries.

Alla

Comment

• WHITE RABBIT!
                Hehe, that was a joke between my older sis, whose birthday is today, and her Photography teacher in high school. I was in his class too, but by the time I was there he had pretty much forgotten about white rabbit. It's where you have to be the first one to say white rabbit to someone on the 1st of the month. It's funny b/c the kids in my sister's class would all be sneaking around and trying to jump each other and the teacher to say white rabbit first. So what I'm going to do, in about 10 minutes or so, is call the teacher and white rabbit him. Does it matter to me that he is now 3 time zones away and I haven't seen him for 4 years? NO! Hehehehehehe it will only be 6 in the morning there but he'll be up because he's a teacher and I'll bet he forgot about the white rabbit thing so I'll be the one to remind him. I debating whether or not to tell him it's me...I might just say I'm the Ghost of Christmas Past or something. I dunno...anyway, my sis is 24 today and she's taking a day off work to go hang out with her boyfriend and not telling my mom or other sis about it. She's so wicked *evil grin* Reminds me of me. Hehehehehe. My dad is trying to get a new computer and he just found a good one at Sam's Club for about $350. It comes with a monitor but he doesn't need it so he might give it to me, even though I don't have a comp yet...but not matter, it will come in handy someday when I do get one. Hmm...this stupid chair is too short but I can't find the thing to raise it a bit...nevermind...*lowers chair a bit after raising it too high* I have Health class in about half an hour. It's actually not a bad class. We read a chapter and then the teacher talks about it the next class. Every other Thursday we go out for a walk/jog/run, depending what you can do. Some of the people are runners, some jog and some walk. I am one of the slightly faster walkers, b/c I'm not just walking really slow to giggle with a group of girls. Last time I called my dad and talked to him for awhile. It just happened to be the day that would have been my Grandma (his mom) 's birthday. (RIP) It was also the anniversary of us moving, so I've been in the South for 4 years now. A lot has happened since then...anyhow, I'm going now. Prolly going to call up Mr. Bolling and surprise him. It would be funny if he remembered and got ME...so we'll see. I will prolly put an update on this in a few minutes.

*insane laughter* I GOT HIM!!!! And what do you know, he does remember me. He didn't recognize my voice but remembered my name when I told him. Anyhow, I have to print something really fast before I go, so bye for now!
                *more insane laughter*
                ~Rachel

Comment

• Ooooh. I'm reading the TOGR and I'm about 200 pages late for this but I love the book Eragon. I'm so happy because he finished Eldest! (Eldest is the second book) All he needs to do now is the proofreading and that sort of thing. And in about 15 days I'll find out if I won the Eragon poetry contest. They're choosing 20 winners who will get a signed advance copy of Eldest! And the grand prize winner will get a signed copy of Eragon, a signed advance copy of Eldest, and an orginal piece of art by the author, Christopher Paolini. The winners were chosen yesterday, according to the official entry form...

Here's the official website:
                  http://www.randomhouse.com/teens/eragon/

This is the cover of Eldest:
                  http://www.randomhouse.com/catalog/d...erl?037582670X

I'm not very good at this, so those links might not work. To go to the official site, you can just type in www.alagaesia.com

EDIT: They all work. The first and last ones take you to the same site.

Comment

• *huggles wubbles and lubbles for Chani*

Aurie rocks. You do and *huggles* because it'll be hard. Government interests me, but history doesn't, and there's history worked into law. Law doesn't hold my attention at all either.

Lisa:
                    Um, wildflower, are you talking about me when you say Lisa, and if so, what are you talking about?
                    To answer wf's question for her, yes. You are the Lisa With Only One 'S.' You ranted earlier.

For Alla. S'my Doctor Who scarf.
                    Gigo: Hey, it's the person who puts 'asian' in 'caucasian'. Hi, Gryph. | | | wildflower: Hmm... should I side with "Gryph is more insane" based on conclusive evidence, or "Sharky is more insane" based on tradition? | | | [url="http://mariposa-mentiro

Comment

• I hate school so much... And now I have that new schedule for the second simester... First I have science, A usual pain in the butt... Then I have Mathematics, which isn't really that bad because I have Mr. Gussin. He's nice and a suprizingly funny Math teacher... Third I have French. It's okay, if it weren't for the dialogue we have to memorize and perform... Then for fourth I have gym. I swear I'm going to murder the gym teacher, Mr. Ameroso. He's terrible. As much as I already hated gym, I have to hate it some more because of him. I think it's so weird that I hate PE but I play baseball (NOT SOFTBALL, even though I'm a girl)...

For fifth period, I have English. The teacher is so annoying. She piles on all the work and expect you to have it all done it 20 minutes or something like that. I also have her for social studies, which I have for sixth period... My classmates are really starting to bug me... I just told a group of them that I'm a lesbien and they freaked out. They told the rest of the class within five minutes. Now they're going to think that I'm even weirder than I was before... Is that possible?! School is a jail cell...

Any my friends aren't helping much... Billy has to keep up her grades and Benji hurts people too much... She's the one at school whom everyone stays away from... So I have no help othr than Camp Ten Trees, a camp for gay people and all that. Of course, I have to wait till Summer to go there!!! Geez I'm so glad I haven't cussed or I'd get in trouble...

Polie
                      From your friendly neighborhood wizard, Poliester.

Comment

• Listening to the Living End right now... *loves* Anyone heard of them?? They're from Australia. *wants to be able to talk to someone with an accent all day long*

I fit within the average age then.. haha. 15.

awww, Aurora, I know kinda how you feel. My dad's started getting like that with me now, only not super bad. I think part of it is my sister just finished applying to colleges and stuff a few months ago. I'm the youngest child, and I'm a sophomore, so I still have 2 more years to figure things out, but everyone is bombarding me with questions about what I want to do. I don't have the faintest idea. Anything I want to be is not necessarily a job you'd normally think of or a high paying job really. I used to want to be a vet, but I'm kinda squeamish, and I don't have a very steady hand or anything. I still maybe want to work with animals. I dunno, I could see myself being totally happy as a librarian or working on a cruise ship or something... is that bad??

Anyways, getting back to the point, my dad's been bugging me about jobs recently. He gives me stuff to read on jobs I've already told him hold no interest for me. He wants me to be an engineer too I think since he was one. Plus, since neither of my sister's went to Berkeley, and my dad and his parents and other generations and lots of family went there, I know I'm going to get a lot of pressure to go there too. *sighs* I really don't know. I just wish people would give me space to actually think through what I want to do for myself instead of telling me what they think I should do.

and Gryph, I dunno if it's a normal form they do... it's a lot shorter than they generally have since our unit on PE is shorter. It's only a few moves. I'll post what it is next time when I have more time, cos i have to go.

And Polie, sorry about what you have to go through, some people are just too narrowminded and argh...
                        ------------------------------
                        Have a cookie. it makes life better. If you don't like cookies, I suggest you seek professional help.

"So why should I take your hand when you can't promise happy endings?"
                        -Amber Pacific "Thoughts Before Me"

Comment

• For choosing where you want to go, I don't recommend going all out and deciding "Okay, this is what I'm gonna do" without at least a lot of thought or unless like me you fell in love with a subject and think reading governmental acts (I read the Youth Criminal Justice Act over the holidays. It was very interesting because my law teacher's not the greatest teacher on the planet, and he still thinks the Youth Offenders Act is in effect even though it was REPEALED in 2002, and he refuses to recognize that the YCJA is a COMPLETELY new act, and so I spent about half a page on my exam today ranting about how the YCJA is NOT just some amendments, but a COMPLETELY NEW ACT. . . and then I referred him to the Department of Justice's website because I started spewing a lot of stats about youth custody rates and yeah. . .) I mean, I always found that high school, the courses you take will lead you where you want to go, if you let them. Right now, I'm taking English, French, Math, Chemistry, Physics (university prep), Accounting, Sociology, and Law (U/C). Just take courses you like, they'll lead you where you want to go. Don't take anything you don't want to.

Bah, I had my last two exams today. My law exam had this really nasty sexual assault case that went like this:

"Robert is charged with sexually assaulting Barbara. There were no witnesses. He testified that she was willing and enthusiastic to begin with, but changed her mind after. In the charge to the jury, the judge said:

'You are going to have to decide what you believe: That she fabricated the whole thing, or that you believe her evidence against his.' "

It was EVIL, because I was defending, so I made something up on the presumption of innocence. . . And said basically that, due to the judges words, which seemed to slant toward Barbara, that Robert didn't get a fair trial. Argh.

Comment

• Aurora: I know it is tough when your parents do not agree on your career choice. Give it time, your father may change his mind. If he doesn't, you stick to your guns and you go and do what you want to with your life. You are right. It is your life, and consequently, your decision. You may end up paying school costs on your own if he never recognizes it as your choice, but I hope that your father sees that you are going to do this because your passion lies there. In the long run, it is what will keep you happy. It is too bad that he can't see that about you and just be happy that you are following your dream.

Gryph: Awwww.... one of my darlings. Same back to you and then some. :P
                            -----------------------------I'm not paranoid! Which of my enemies told you this?
                            The trouble with life is that you're half-way through it before you realize it's a do-it-yourself thing.
                            I've gone to find myself. If I should return before I get bac

Comment

• I recall a chat some time ago with Gryph, Sharky, WF, and a couple other people (sorry for not remembering who exactly) in which the main topic of discussion was the "setting up" of the members in the chat with eachother. I expressed my opinion that this was quite odd as none of them had ever met eachother in real life. This was made even weirder when I became involved when no one knows what gender I am. Basically, I was told that I was not crazy enough for these forums.

If there is anyone who thinks I am to sane to be a member here, read about what I did today below.

Background Information:
                              I am currently on a the short break from school between exams and the start of Second Semester.

Today I woke up at about 7:30 (yes seven-thirty in the morning) and ate breakfast and did several chores until about 8:00. Then I proceeded to watch the entire Lord of the Rings Trilogy-Special Extended Edition until about 10:30 PM. About 12 hours of Lord of the Rings between brief meal breaks and minor chores.

So there is no misunderstanding, I did this entirely of my own free will, with no encouragement, order, or bet involved. This was 100% my own choice and-to my surprise-it was allowed by my parents.

So now, if there are any people left who feel that I am not crazy enough, do not lack enough sanity, or am just to normal to be a member along with the rest of you, I don't know what to say...

..Except perhaps...that you're all CRAZY!!!

Bonus LotR Trivia Question
                              Who does Director Peter Jackson credit the victory at Helm's Deep to?

Answer: <span class="ev_code_WHITE">Himself. He played one of the men guarding the keep and claimed to have thrown a rock and killed an Uruk-General, which threw Saruman's army into disaray.</span>
                              "If Time has a heart, it is because other hearts stop"-The Book of Night with Moon 9.v.IX

Comment

• YAY! This is my 200th (active) post!!!

Listening to the Living End right now... *loves* Anyone heard of them?? They're from Australia. *wants to be able to talk to someone with an accent all day long*
                                You got Skype? Cos I'm not doing much at the moment . I'll probs be around on (your time) Thursday night and Friday night.

Gryph: Nice colours on the scarf

My feet are sore... and I never want to tidy another piece of clothing again. But I have to finish it tomorrow morning. Anyway, The Mummy is on now, so I am going to sign off.

Alla

Comment

Working...
                                X