No announcement yet.

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Totally not going to bother whiting stuff out because no one would honestly be here if they hadn't finished...

That said...

I was surprised that the main focus of the book was shipping, but I didn't really mind it. I love JKR's lighthearted moments and there were a lot of good ones. I did want another dark book on some level, but this was a nice change of pace and I did like the message that life goes on.

I really felt that this book was the second half of CoS. Everything that was started there got finished (Aragog, Tom Riddle, Ron/Hermione, Harry/Ginny, Malfoy (you have to admit that the big rivalry started there with the whole Lucius mess), Dobby)...Anyway...So I'm going to guess that Book 7 will finish off lose ends from PS. This means that we'll see something with Trolls, "death is the next great adventure," Wingardium Leviosa, and *hopefully* a full explaination of the night at Godric's Hollow.

Dumbledore made me so, so, so, so, so, so, SO sad, but I honestly think that he was ready to go. I think that he and Snape had discussed this and that Dumbledore wanted Snape to kill him. I mean, he spent the entire year teaching and preparing Harry, he's got Voldemort's comback out into the open, he got teachers set up for Hogwarts...he was prepared to die. I look at it this way: why else would he have wanted Snape? Snape's not a healer. There's not time to make a potion. The only thing that Snape could help with is Dark magic. He went to the tower prepared to die. There's also Snape's completely illogical mood swings throughout the ending. He's up and down and brave and cowardly. He was clearly upset. Also, he went off ALONE with Malfoy. I think that he'll put Draco in to hiding, but that he won't be in time to save Narsissa. Seeing his mother dead will bring Draco to the Order's side.

Horcruxes...Cup, locket, griffindor/ravenclaw, nagini...Honestly, I don't buy Nagini. It makes it too easy if Dumbledore got everything right...it just becomes a shopping list. As for the whole "Harry is a horcrux"...I somehow doubt it. I mean, the idea is really good and it would make good story telling, but it wouldn't fit with everything else. First, why would Voldy want to kill Harry if he is a horcrux? Second, the big plot point of OotP was that Harry was so good that Voldy couldn't bare to share a body with him. How would the horcrux servive? Third, after posessing Harry, Voldy should have felt that piece of him in there. I think that either Lily or James's body might be the last one. It'd be a really low, terrible thing for Voldemort to do and it would be awful for Harry to have to destroy one of his parent's bodies.

I've got to go....I'll post more later...

P.S.: RAB=Regalus Black!
    A physics geek
    And proud of it...

Loyal reader and Young Wizards books, great lover of Moon Cakes, and engineering feminista...

Comment

Also - JKR didn't say straight-out that Snape is evil, at least nowhere that I read. She did, however, say straight-out that Draco is. So I doubt a "good" Draco is going to happen outside of silly fanfic.
      &

The second one is from the Leaky Cauldron/Mugglenet interview. The rest of which can be found here

It clarifies A LOT.
      http://superdrea.net/

Comment

OMG OMG OMG my dad found this AWSOME theory, (it's a guess to what happens in book 7)and.... It makes SOOOO much sense...
        here:

srry for length :P but, it looks like its spot on :P

Comment

Hmm... interesting ideas. Some of that I've already thought of... but yeah. Personally, I don't think that Dumbledore will come back to life - thats just... I don't know, but then I think that Sirius will XD (SIDF! - join!).

Not to be too nitpicky, but there are some things in that that I don't agree with at all.

1. Regulus Black was not Sirius' twin brother.
          2. I did have a two, but I can't think of it anymore...

Alla

Comment

Kaiba said:
            What does Harry MEAN "I may not come back even if school reopens." He needs to go back to learn everything else, right?! Well, he needs to learn the Unforgivable Curses and tak his Dissaperation Test and learn hexes that'll work against the Dark Lord... but I guess there's no one there to teach him.
            I doubt he needs to take his Apparition test at school; I think it's a Ministry thing that you can probably take like taking a driving test. (Muggles in the UK have to be 17 to take that one, too.) And if anyone's willing to teach him the Unforgivables (and they might be, in the circumstances), it'll be people like Remus and Moody, who are in his house, not at Hogwarts.
            Firewitch said:
            Seeing his mother dead will bring Draco to the Order's side.
            And his explanation of what Snape was up to could be the only thing that stops Harry killing Snape, in my opinion. But Draco's going to have to be very convincing.
            First, why would Voldy want to kill Harry if he is a horcrux? Second, the big plot point of OotP was that Harry was so good that Voldy couldn't bare to share a body with him
            Maybe Harry became a Horcrux as an accidental side-effect of the failed AK curse? Voldemort doesn't know it, if so, or he wouldn't try to kill him. And maybe Harry's already destroyed that soul fragment without even trying, just by being himself.
            Urk. After almost 15 years, unless James and Lily were magically embalmed, they'd just be bones.
            Just the FAQs, ma'am: Chat, Board and Books.

Comment

Ok, did Hermione and Ron actually get together? I don't remember it really saying anything that for sure cemented it in my mind, but I was really just trying to finish, so I'm going to have to reread. The only thing I can remember is that they hug somewhere, but ya know, Hermione and Harry do that all the time.
              I wonder if RAB has already destroyed any of the other horcruxes?
              The Taiko Dodo and Mitten of Insanity
              I promise not to funfun anymore
              Be happy cause life is good

Comment

Agrrr.... internet Harry Potter fans are INSANE! Even more than the people here. At least you guys don't write essays on DD's books. I am so gald I joined a YW fourm. It's so much more noraml than the maddhouse that is Harry Potter on the Net. I mean, I love Harry Potter but UGH, Harry Potter fansites are WERID.

Comment

<STRIKE>Kat</STRIKE>, I mean... <STRIKE>Earwig</STRIKE> I mean EARWEN! I totally know what you mean. I used to be a member of a couple of HP messageboards, but I just got totally sick of what was happening a them. This place is much much much better *huggles everyone*.

Cress: I don't think so. In fact I would say probably not. We know for sure that only two Horcruxes are destroyed, and that is the ring that AD had and Tom Riddle's diary. The others we aren't even too sure about what they are. Just out of curiosity, has anyone thought of Tom Riddle (snr.)'s gravestone being one of them? *shrugs* I know that it was explained that it was needed for a different piece of Dark Magic, but it could still be one.

Alla

Comment

I was reading the differnces between the British and American Potter books and really shocked by the changes JKR US publishers made to them, espically in Azkabane where they delegated some of Sirius's lines to Lupin. I was wondering - which does everyone else prefer? The origonal British or mangaled American? I perfer the British. Changing the spelling to American I can understand but making changes like 'rounders' to 'baseball' and 'mum' to 'mom' and (the one that made me laugh) 'multi-story car park' to multilevel parking gargage' I can't understand.

Comment

They deleted lines from Sirius to Lupin?

Someone needs to tell me more, or I might explode.
                      http://superdrea.net/

Comment

It's the bit at the end of Azkaban where Lupin and Sirius are trying to convince Harry, Ron and Hermy about Scabbers being Peter. I can't remember the exact wording (and can't be botherd in getting my copy) but it was something like "There time later to explain everything" said Sirius, "Now give Peter to me" by in America it's Lupin who says that. I can't see why. Also, a line of (quite important) diologe gets cut from that bit too:
                        Lupin: "I haven't been Sirius's friend but I am now" (American)
                        Lupin: "I haven't been Sirius's friend for 12 years but I am now."

For full list of changes see the Lexicon site. There's links to it on the Leaky Caldron and JKR's offical site.

Comment

Got to say that I did not enjoy the book that much, I read it that day and I was disapointed in it to be honest. Yes it answers a few questions but it had none of that Harry Potter charm and adventure! The last book better be 1000 times better I tell you .
                          Fox
                          God its hard to keep up with everything here!!

Memember of The STTF (Save the topic foundation).

Comment

Well, if you didn't like the end of HPHBP because you either don't want to believe that Dumbledore is dead, or that Snape is evil, or any of the above (or, like me, just don't want your fanfiction ruined) this is quite the interesting this to check out: here, even.

I have a strange awe of these people who pay so much attention to all the little detail in the books. Yeesh. I picked up on stuff reading that that I didn't notice in the books. Then again, I'm not the most observant person in teh universe. Heh.

vv
                            PM: Dai everyone, Caitlin is right
                            Follow the bouncing poot

Comment

OH... speaking of paying attention to details:
                              <span class="ev_code_WHITE">When Harry and Hagrid go back to Dumbledore's body Harry thinks he looks like hes sleeping because his eyes are closed. But in GoF all 4 victims of Avada Kedavra (Ma, Pa and #1 Son Riddle and Cedric Diggory) eye's are wide open after their deaths. JK makes special mention of this in both of the scenes where the dead bodies are being discussed. </span>

Comment

A question about the death : <span class="ev_code_WHITE">I've been thinkking about this for a while now and was wondering why JK concentrated on Silant spelling, would it then be possible for snape to say a spell but silantly say another and thats the one that is caste? in that case did he really proform the killing curse??</span>

Well what do you think?
                                Fox
                                God its hard to keep up with everything here!!

Memember of The STTF (Save the topic foundation).

Comment

Working...
                                X