Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Peter Murray:

Oh, sorry. I thought you meant you hadn't read HBP yet, and you'd just done a joke post as a way of saying so.
    Nope, I finished the book before any of you lot thanks to my handy time differnce and quick reading. As my thoughts on the book... well, everything I've thought of has been said before but
    <span class="ev_code_WHITE">I liked the romance. I felt it rang true of a very British school. I espically liked the Tonks/Lupin stuff and Bill and Fluer made me laugh at what should have been a sad moment. The Ginny/Harry romance I've been excpting since COS and Ron/Herimine since PS. As for Snape... I don't beleive for a second he is evil. He could have killed Hermione, Luna and Flitwick but he didn't. </span>

Comment

<span class="ev_code_WHITE">To Gryphon: As Dumbledore said, if you believe in the prophecy, then it has to come true. But not necessarily if you don't believe...or something like that.

The circumstances under which Harry could've been made a Horcrux were different. TWO people had been killed; his parents. So it would've been stronger. As they said, you must kill to create a Horcrux. So, killing twice could be twice as strong, right?

And if Voldemort lost touch with his Horcruxes completely, then what about Nagini? She seems to have a slight mental connection with him, right? Or that's what I picked up. Plus, the fact that Harry's alive, and his last Horcrux, could make it so that Voldemort was able to connect longer. Harry must've been Voldemort's focus for 10 years. With almost no body except for those of snakes, and no one to talk to, people would get a little overobsessed, and that focus could keep him in touch.

To myself: If Voldemort knew Harry was a Horcrux, then why would he stage so many attempts to kill him? Well...he might not know. Maybe out of reflex he did something the night Harry Lived. He might know, but think it's something else. I'm rambling and it's almost 2 am. Goodnight.</span>
      Founder of the "Posts for ToGR" foundation. Keep the ToGR alive by a donation of one post!
      "But before the happily ever after, there was always a kiss." ~Misread, my novel-in-progress!
      "If I wasn't smart, I'd be dead."~The Naming, by Alice Croggon

Comment

Wah i wont believe it.... Srry, Emerson posted part two of the interview on mugglenet... now, it really looks like:<span class="ev_code_WHITE">Snape is going to be evil</span>
        she really made it hard to think otherwise.. but i don't want to! He's like, my fav. character.... *sigh* well, I'll have to adjust.. he can still be awsome yeah, i'll just like him anyways

Comment

It is so strange to read about this here.

I read the book yesterday, borrowed it from my sister to read while I did laundry (yah laundromat....) and finished it up at home. I like it better than the other books, mostly. It seemed better written. I do agree with the people who said what the heck is up with <span class="ev_code_white">the sudden mess of pairings? I found Harry/Ginny and Hermoine/Ron entirely predictable, but still kind of cute.</span>

I read an interesting little bit about <span class="ev_code_white">the whole Snape thing, and whether or not he is actually evil. I don't have a prediction about if this is actually the case, but I found it a reasonable theory: Dumbledore knew he was going to die because of the potion he drank (I found the part where Harry had to force him to drink the potion disturbing). He also knew about Snape's Unbreakable Vow. The idea is that he asked Snape to kill him because he was going to die anyway and so that Draco wouldn't do it, because clearly Draco isn't actually that evil, if he couldn't just kill Dumbledore. Yes, he's a mean little brat, but that isn't the same as being truly evil. So Dumbledore's begging was for Snape to kill him, not for Snape not to kill him.</span>

I think one of the funniest things about the HP fandom is how <span class="ev_code_white">crazy the silly shippers are going over H/G, R/Hr, and L/T. AND there are a lot of people who are angry that Blaise Zambini is black. Er, huh? Ok. I don't get that at all, but sure.</span> People are unfriending each other on livejournal (and probably similar sites) over that stuff. I seriously don't understand it at all.

<span class="ev_code_white">I was sad when Dumbledore died.</span> I admit I didn't care at all when Sirius died - my first reaction was "is he actually dead? is that really what JKR was talking about?" and my second reaction was "I'm supposed to care? I didn't like him anyway!" because he'd been such a jerk because Harry wasn't exactly like James.

I was surprised in a journalfen post that I was linked to to find comments by DD. She mentioned how not-crazy her fan base is, particularly compared to the HP fandom. The HP fans are insane. Truely insane, and I have links to back me up.

Comment

Yeah, DD's fans don't stand outside in the middle of winter in the middle of New York City naked in a towel clamoring to see actors. Oy.

I was in NYC that day too, and that was just freaky.

vv
            PM: Dai everyone, Caitlin is right
            Follow the bouncing poot

Comment

Not sure if any of this requires white out, but I'll go ahead and do so...

<span class="ev_code_WHITE">What I didn't like about the book was that Harry was always <STRIKE>right</STRIKE>. His whole obsession with Malfoy annoyed me, because he really had no cause to be so suspicious, even though he was right about it. *mutters*

Anyways, I found the whole Kreacher and Dobby thing highly amusing. Of course, you find a lot of things amusing around three in the morning, but that's beside the point. </span>
              <3
              the awesome like whipped cream || Queen of Nonsensical || Guardian Angel of YW || who *dies* a lot || but <3s everybody || who pours out her soul || and doesn't always say what she should || but is

Comment

I agree. What I really didn't like was that <span class="ev_code_WHITE">Harry somehow knew everything before it was going to happen. If Voldemort had become so good at Occlumency, how would Harry know any of this? Plus it was just plain dumb to enter Malfoy's cabin. Now, having known several boys that age (my brother, currently), I can attest that they do dumb things. But Harry should know better by now, right? He's just become so obsessed with Malfoy/Snape that he can't even let his friends try and talk him down.

BTW. Was the whole book belonging to Snape thing just too weird for words or what?</span>

And you're right blue. DD fans are more heavy literarily, I think. Thus the importance of magic not just being magic, but the science involved. One of my favorite lines is in Deep Wizardry where Nita explains to her Dad how they have to achieve escape velocity. Yay for Magic with thought behind it.
                http://superdrea.net/

Comment

I second the thing about not caring when Sirius died. It was all mystical, so you weren't quite sure if he was actually dead or if he would stay that way, but with <span class="ev_code_WHITE">Dumbledore you knew he was dead, especially when Fawkes left. I actually cried during that, and I've never really cried during a book before. Dumbledore always seemed so sure you felt like he could never die or leave, and when he was there you felt like everything was going to be ok because he was always in control.</span>
                  <span class="ev_code_WHITE">I also thought the Snape thing was a little crazy and that it happened too fast. It was just "I'm it goodbye!". I really felt like there should have been more of a reason or a story behind it, although it is fitting that the title is Half Blood Prince because this book focused a lot on Harry's relationship to Snape. I thought the Malfoy thing was ok because Harry is always paranoid about Malfoy, so it seemed ok even if he was always right.</span>
                  <span class="ev_code_WHITE">Personally I thought the idea of Horcruxes was disturbing. Ripping your soul in two? Wouldn't that make the smaller parts of the soul weaker? I absolutely LOVE Remus/Tonks, I think they're great together. Two of my fav characters together! I'm still waiting for Ron and Hermione to get together though. There were so many hints that they like eachother in this book. All the jealousy. Ron and Lavender was hilarious, and Fred and George seemed to be doing pretty well. Anyone have ideas about who RAB is?</span>
                  <span class="ev_code_WHITE">I'm not sure about the Harry being a horcruz thing. Wouldn't the piece of Voldemort that's in him be having more of an effect on him? Wouldn't he be drawn to the dark arts more than he is? He seems pretty repulsed by all things having anything remotely to do with Voldemort, but if there was a piece of Voldy in him wouldn't he be at least slightly fascinated with them too? Just a thought.</span>
                  <span class="ev_code_WHITE">About the prophecy and Dumbledore saying it only happened because people believed in it-There are SO many times in mythology when people hear about a prophecy and take measures to stop it and it's only because they do that that it comes to pass. That's old hat. What I think Dumbledore was more into was the fact that Harry had a choice. Harry could choose to fulfill his end of the prophecy and go after Voldemort. He could choose to actively be a part of it. Or he could choose to try and run from it. Although it would probably catch up to him anyway (Voldemort will try and kill him no matter what) it isn't the same thing if he kills Voldemort while defending himself. It's all about making the choice to sacrifice your own life for others.</span>
                  <span class="ev_code_WHITE">I still think there's hope for Snape. I know some people think he only killed Dumbledore because Dumbledore wanted him to, but I'm not buying it. Why would he have done so much that seems like it's slowing down the progress of the Order if he was really part of it? Why would he waste so much time and energy trying to bring Harry down? I know he hates Harry, but it seems like a waste of energy if they really are on the same side. I think during this book he was really working for Voldemort, but that there's still a chance he could repent. I actually felt sorry for Malfoy though. I mean, he's just a kid and he's only doing what he's been told his whole life is the right thing to do, and he has to kill someone who has never done anything but be kind to him or he'll die. I mean killing anyone at the age of 16 is crazy, and you would have to be really messed up to do it. Malfoy isn't always a good person, but I don't think he's really evil.</span>
                  I'm not sure how long it took me to finish. I got it last night at about five thirty and read for a little while, but then I had to eat and then I read a little more but I had to unpack and a couple other things (I just got back from LA, which is why I haven't been able to read it) and then I read it from like 10-1 last night and I read from 11-2 this morning, so that's a lot. I don't read very fast I just read a lot. I think it's because I get excited and start skimming down the page and then I have to go back and reread.
                  The Taiko Dodo and Mitten of Insanity
                  I promise not to funfun anymore
                  Be happy cause life is good

Comment

Lisa: <span class="ev_code_white">I think Dumbledore said Nagini was the last Horcrux; yes, in chapter 23, he suggests that Nagini became a Horcrux only after some of the events in GoF. However, if Harry is a Horcrux, I don't think Voldemort can know he is.</span>

Bluesalamanders: <span class="ev_code_white">That theory seems reasonable.
                    I don't understand why people would care about Blaise's colour. There are a lot of fanfics where he's a boy, and a lot where he's a girl, so I can see people being upset now that he's definitely a boy, but worried about his colour?</span>

Drea: <span class="ev_code_white">Malfoy's cabin? What was that about? I don't remember anything like that from the book. (It'll be hard for anyone to change his mind about Malfoy and Snape, now that he's seen one of them let a group of Death Eaters into the castle, and the other kill Dumbledore right in front of him.)</span>

Yes, I liked that bit in Deep Wizardry, where Mr Callahan learns that wizardry doesn't work just like... well, magic.

Cress: <span class="ev_code_white">Alla and Diego put their ideas about R.A.B. earlier in this unreadable topic . Of the two, I think I find Alla's more likely.</span>
                    Just the FAQs, ma'am: Chat, Board and Books.

Comment

Cress: Have you finished the book yet? Because <span class="ev_code_white">Ron and Hermoine do get together. And re: horcruzes, yes, I think they do make all the parts of the soul weaker. Dumbledore said something like that when talking about how more and more evil and less and less human Voldemort became over time. Also, Snape had other entirely separate reasons to hate Harry: regardless of how important or good Harry is, James (Harry's father) picked on Snape through out their entire time in school. That is what I always assumed his reason for hating Harry so adamantly was.</span>

Oh - and the other reason I didn't care much about it when Sirius died was that I just didn't like him much anymore.

PM: People are upset about Blaise's color because people are stupid. Moronic. Absolutely idiotic. Because he no longer fits their idea of what he looks like (instead, oh my, he fits the author's idea! the horror, the horror!), that's all. I've seen people write things about how he's no longer absolutely gorgeous because of that (because black people can't be gorgeous? huh? you lost me....). No, there's no good reason for that.

Also, the <span class="ev_code_white">Malfoy's cabin thing Drea mentioned is talking about on the train to school. Harry put on his Invisibility Cloak and snuck into where Draco, Crabbe, Goyle, and I think a few other of that gang were, to hear what Draco had to say.

I actually don't think Harry's tendency to move away and do things on his own is so unbelieveable. After all, people had a tendency to not believe him and try to stop him in the previous books, so why wouldn't he start doing things on his own once he had the confidence to do them? And, likewise, why wouldn't he suspect Draco of doing something, given that he's done various sneaky things in the past and Harry overheard him saying various incriminating-sounding things? I don't find that unreasonable, either.</span>

Comment

here is a spoiler comment sry:

<span class="ev_code_WHITE">i am so upset about dumbledore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! all of my favs! i cried and cried. </span>

This book was a record reading, 15 hours, I was excited to have read it that fast.
                        sehlinger
                        -AND I AM GOING TO EAT....IT... ALLLLLLLLLLLLL

Comment

Alla and Diego put their ideas about R.A.B. earlier in this unreadable topic Smile . Of the two, I think I find Alla's more likely.
                          I'm flattered PM, but I think that Diego's idea has some thought behind it. It does make sense, but then I guess that we can theorise all we want, but we won't find out who is right until the next book comes out.

Is there anyone here, who is reading this topic, who hasn't finished the book yet? Because having to highlight entire posts is starting to get a little rediculous.

Alla

Comment

Heh yes, alla, you're right. I called my sister in yesterday to show her how silly this topic looked (my own posts included, of course) with 3/4 of the text whited out.

At least it works here. On livejournal, some people still white out spoilers and such instead of using a livejournal-specific code that means you have to click it to see what it says, and that doesn't work so well when the background of your friends page is, say, green, like mine is

Also, I find the idea that it is <span class="ev_code_white">Regulus Black</span> more plausible than the idea that it is <span class="ev_code_white">someone and someone else</span>. But it's possible that that's just because I read the first idea first. Also, though, because <span class="ev_code_white">the note, as I recall, says "I" and not "we".</span>

Anna

Comment

White isn't working. Spoilers exist in my post. I'll white it all out later.

The ships! Ahhhh! Lupin/Tonks should DIE. *utterly detests this shipping* How DARE Tonks near my favorite character like that! Bill/Fleur I don't really care either way... I don't like Ginny/Harry at all either, 'cause for some reason I loathe Ginny. I guess I hate HP canon.

At first I wasnt sure who RAB was, but my friend thinks it might be Regulus Black too.... but I'm not sure. We can't exactly PREDICT Jk's ways. I mean, she totally pulls out the unexpected.

Dumbledore told Draco that he wasn't a killer and should come over to the right side. I think Draco was actually going to side with the good guys but then the other Death Eaters rushed there. It said "Draco lowered his wand a fraction." Well, you only lower your weapon if you're admitting defeat. But who knows? It's what I like to think... a good Draco would be hot...

Gryoh:
                              Harry's obsession with Malfoy was stupid.
                              Yeah, I guess it wqas but... I kind thought it was cute. I dunno why, but I really liked the fact that Harry was obsessed with Draco. I loved Draco in this book, which he was in alot. I loved it when we found him crying in the bathroom (well, I knew it was him since Myrtle mentioned it btw).

At first I read this with skepticism, but it actualy makes sense! It's a bit unlikely, simply because Voldy would have to kill himself. But he's so corrupt maybe he wouldn't mind doing such a thing...

drea:
                              What I really didn't like was that Harry somehow knew everything before it was going to happen. If Voldemort had become so good at Occlumency, how would Harry know any of this?
                              If you noticed, Harry didn't feel Voldemort's emotions or know what was happening at ALL in this book. His scar didn't ache ONCE. In OotP it was a veru different case. The only reason Harry had been able to sense Voldemort was because Voldy wasn't even AWARE of the link. He's using Legilimency in book six, which he happens to be excellent at, and that's why Harry doesn't feel Voldy's emotions.

Riddle was so obnoxious, I was expecting him with a few more manners like in CoS.

Dumbledore's death was unexpected but I guess necessary. Harry has still so much to learn, but he wouldn't be able to fight Voldemort purely one-on-one with Dumbledore there.

Harry seems like he wants to murder three people. Snape, Bellatrix, and of course Voldemort. But I bet he never will. Well, he might attempt to "avada kedavra" Voldemort...

What does Harry MEAN "I may not come back even if school reopens." He needs to go back to learn everything else, right?! Well, he needs to learn the Unforgivable Curses and tak his Dissaperation Test and learn hexes that'll work against the Dark Lord... but I guess there's no one there to teach him.

In my opinion, this was the worst book. In the biggest climax, Harry was immobilized rather that dodging the Dark Lord's hexes like a good climax should be!

Compare Harry from book 1 and book 6. He's so much more mature (well, duh!) and like JKR's writing style goes all emotional and dark and thick and much more mature. In HP1 everything was so light and fluffly, but now it's all dark and serious. HBP wasn't meant for the little kids that read Sorcerer/Philospher's Stone.

Snape is evil, admit it. JKR said so. Draco on the other hand...moight just turn out good. *I hope so!*

BlueSalamanders:. I like it better than the other books, mostly. It seemed better written
                              It was definately the best written, but it was also the most eventless. Book seven will probably be the best, considering that it'll be well written (compare books six and seven to book number one! They get much better) and book seven NEEDS plot and wizard dueling and eveything because it's the last and most important novel when everything prophesixed needs to come true.

Comment

Spoilers galore. I give up on white-out.

It was definately the best written, but it was also the most eventless.
                                That's a matter of opinion, I guess. Things don't always have to be happening for things to be happening, if that makes any sense at all (which I'm not sure it does). What I mean is that even though Harry and the gang aren't running around saving the world every five minutes doesn't mean that nothing is happening. I found the memories that Harry and Dumbledore went into and the explanations of various things as interesting as another convoluded Quiddich match or some random fight would have been. But some of my favorite books are half explanation (almost all good SF, for example, is like that), which I know a lot of people don't like.

Also - JKR didn't say straight-out that Snape is evil, at least nowhere that I read. She did, however, say straight-out that Draco is. So I doubt a "good" Draco is going to happen outside of silly fanfic.

I also wish everyone would just deal with all the stupid pairing that JKR stuck in there. I don't think it fit particularly well (not all of it, anyway), I don't think it was in the best written parts of the book, but I wish people would stop throwing fits about it.

(Kaiba - that is NOT directed at you, just so you know. One little paragraph is nothing compared to some of the stupid rants I've seen.) People get upset about the stupidest things, and a lot of HP fans seem to go crazy about it.

Anna

Comment

Working...
                                X