Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tatiana:
    <span class="ev_code_WHITE">Harry could still be an auror if Voldemort died, he'd still have work. There HAVE to be other evil wizards out there, like the one they mentioned Dumbledore defeating in the first book (don't remember his name.) </span>

<span class="ev_code_WHITE">Yeah, it would kind of stink if they didn't get to be aurors, or have a career or anything because they left Hogwarts to fight Voldemort. Hmm...I bet they'd still find a career somewhere...Harry's famous, and Hermione is pretty smart, and Ron...well, Ron is...I don't know, ok? Ron is a confusing character to me. *ducks flying objects from siblings* They all love Ron. </span>

-seabiscuit, a.k.a. hungry

Comment

Originally posted by Tatiana:
      <span class="ev_code_WHITE">Without taking their NEWTS, doesn't that mean Harry and Ron can't become Aurors? And that Hermione is loosing her chances at jobs that require NEWTs??</span>
      <span class="ev_code_white">While Ron and Hermione say they'll go with him, they may be hoping they can help him finish this before the school year starts again - remember, it finished early, so there's a longer-than-normal summer holiday ahead. And, even if Harry doesn't go back, he could go back the following year to take his NEWTs - if he killed Voldemort in his year off, who would deny him that? Then he and Ginny would leave Hogwarts at the same time.</span>

<span class="ev_code_white">And, Harry has to die in the seventh book now...</span>
      <span class="ev_code_white">He deserves a Happy Ever After ending, after all this, and I hope he gets one. After the way the Ministry has behaved in OotP and HBP, he might not want to be an Auror and work for the Ministry. Joining a Quidditch team, as Oliver did, would suit him, and he wouldn't need NEWTs for that, just talent.</span>
      Just the FAQs, ma'am: Chat, Board and Books.

Comment

Founder of the "Posts for ToGR" foundation. Keep the ToGR alive by a donation of one post!
        "But before the happily ever after, there was always a kiss." ~Misread, my novel-in-progress!
        "If I wasn't smart, I'd be dead."~The Naming, by Alice Croggon

Comment

Lisa: <span class="ev_code_WHITE">YES! That's exactly what I thought when Dumbledore was talking to Harry, I don't think it was those exact words that triggered it.... he was saying something and then Harry asked him a question and I'm like "you, you idiot!" but I thought it was a stupid idea at the time... ahhahah! You put logic in it! yea! </span>
          *Agent~M*
          "Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
          "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
          "See everything, overlook a lot, correct a little." - Pope John Paul XXIII
          "I could live

Comment

I finished it in a day, and I'd have to say it's the best book yet. <span class="ev_code_WHITE">I am disappointed that Harry isn't going back to Hogwarts, but I don't really think they'll even open Hogwarts up again next year. What really made me mad though was the fact that during the whole year, Harry knew something was up with Malfoy and Snape. He even told Dumbledore, but Dumbledore chose not to believe it. It was right under his nose though (I mean, Malfoy was in the Room of Requirement the whole year). This makes me think that (like db_pr said) maybe Dumbledore purposely planned his death. Like Lisa said- I do wonder if Harry himself is a horcruxe. But, also, Voldemort didn't intentionally put some of himself into Harry. And for that matter, what about Quirell? Voldemort was "in him" for a long time too, but I don't really think that makes him a horcruxe. </span>

Comment

PM - that's unfair. I deleted that post. My computer went evil whenever I tried to post in white and either wouldn't let it post or started posting before I could click 'okay' to get my whited out post into the main part.
              Please stop making fun of my name. I can't email Lee as I currently don't have an email address and I don't post here often enough to make it worthwile anyway.

Comment

Actually MeG823 (hehehe, my name is Meg): <span class="ev_code_WHITE">That's not a bad idea, it goes with the one horcrux per book theory.... I think there are some problems with the idea but it makes sense... </span> And can we stop with the white? I don't think anyone is reading this topic that hasn't already finished the book....
                *Agent~M*
                "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
                "I could live

Comment

There is a dnager that someone will stray onto the topic accidenly and read some spoliers. At least this way, no-one who is posting can be blamed for what is leaked as if you are stupid enough to read the whited-out spoliers, you deserve to have the book ruined for you.

Comment

Hey, NO-ONE deserves to have the book ruined for them. Even if the book truly sucked.

Cat. I just saw a cat outside. Spooky. Wonder who it belongs to.

*twitches* danger. accidentally. spoilers.

*twitches* Grammar. 'Nuff said.

Me meee moo mooo....

I'm going to say some spoilers now, so don't look if you don't want to see spoilers!!!

____ ___ ____!!! And _______ now hates ______ because _____ _______ him! And ______ and _______ and ____ are all going to _______ because they _____ going ______ to _______, ___ ____.

Okay, you can look now.

Kat, if you haven't finished reading HBP, I would immediately spoil the ending for you. Or maybe I wouldn't.

Comment

I have no idea what you just said Gigo
                      yeah, okay fine... white it is...
                      heheh, but this doesn't need white: I saw a bumper sticker for the elections just now and it said something like "Vote Bush, vote Voldemort!" hehehehehehehehe.... *giggles hysterically*
                      *Agent~M*
                      "I could live

Comment

Okay I agree with M (about 2 things really,) 1)Could we stop the white? Just say *WARNING SPOILERS* or something? 2)I didn't understand anything Gigo said in the last post, sorry.
                        This is what one of my friends put into her xanga. (If you want to check it out it's http://www.xanga.com/treeflii)
                        -
                        ~ on pg 485, a drunk professor slughorn calls ron "rupert". even though he has never been able to remember ron's real name (even while sober) i find it rather ironic that he calls ron "rupert", with rupert grint being the name of the actor that portrays him in the harry potter movies.
                        ~ professor slughorn can transform into a chair
                        ~ dumbledore suddenly needs harry's assistance in almost everything he needs accomplished.
                        and finally

~ ron has transformed into a stud-muffin
                        ----------------
                        I replied to this statement with. 'STUDMUFFINSTUDMUFFINSTUDMUFFIN Ron was ALWAYS a studmuffin!'
                        penguins will rule the world.

Comment

Meg: <span class="ev_code_WHITE"> Yes, Voldemort was "in" Quirrell for quite a while, but it says in the fourth book "Only one power remained to me. I could possess the bodies of others...I sometimes inhabited animals...a wizard wandered across my path...I took possession of his body, to supervise him closely as he carried out my orders." Referring, of course of Quirrell. He was literally LIVING in Quirrell, but with Harry, it was different. Quirrell was basically possessed, but Harry and Voldemort have a mental connection, strong enough to unknowingly pass information and emotion to the other.

Maybe, realizing the curse hadn't worked, he performed one last-ditch spell before he became a spirit, a spell that made Harry a Horcrux. Since he knew about the prophecy, he could've had the spell ready, in case there proved some resistance. Perhaps he thought he could convert Harry as a young child, by putting some of his own spirit in him. That would explain how Harry can speak Parseltongue; neither of his parents could, or they don't mention it if they can. He also slightly resembles Tom Riddle, as said in the fourth book. And if you remember, Dumble dore says IN THE SECOND BOOK, "He put some of himself in you that day." Why is it relevant that it's book two? The Horcruxes were originally to be revealed in that book, but JKR "took out the whole plotline." Maybe she left that comment in to give us a hint. Albiet, there's a slight problem to the "he knowingly made Harry a Horcrux" theory: he's tried to kill Harry, what, three times since then?

And as for the stuff about him not going back: SUUURRRE. Something will happen, I know. There's no way he won't go back, because Hogwarts is THE most protected place. Either way, summer is going to take a lot more pages this time. Besides, we're all forgetting one little fact. Even for friendship and saving the world and junk, there's no way Hermy's gonna skip a full year of school. I have a feeling that Sirius's mirrors are going to have a part in this, somehow.

As for Snape: He was a good guy. I know he still is. He was under a freaking Unbreakable Vow. I don't know exactly how it works, but it sounds a great deal like if he breaks it, he DIES.

"'Severus...' The sound frightened Harry beyond anything he had experienced all evening. For the first time, Dumbledore was pleading. Snape said nothing, but walked forward and pushed Malfoy roughly out of the way. The three Death Eaters fell back without a word. Even the werewolf seemed cowed. Snape gazed for a moment at Dumbledore, and there was revulsion and hatred etched in the harsh lines of his face. 'Severus...please..'" - p. 595 of the Scholastic Hardcover.

That passage is VERY significant, especially the boldened part. I think Dumbledore was pleading for Severus to kill him, because he wouldn't live anyway, not with three Death Eaters and a werewolf there. If Severus hadn't killed Dumbledore, then he himself would die. The hatred/revulsion could be at himself, for having taken that Vow, for what he was about to do. And he ran away because, under a Vow or not, SOMEONE would be mad, be it Harry or the Order, or Malfoy or Voldemort himself. You never know...at least til the next book. </span>

Oh, thank you soooooo much WF for the review. I'm using all your suggestions in my new chapter. Mrs. Weasley was overdone because she realized she had an audience, and was playing up the part. C'mon, she knows her sons. And I'm planning on fixing the Ginny thing.
                          Founder of the "Posts for ToGR" foundation. Keep the ToGR alive by a donation of one post!
                          "But before the happily ever after, there was always a kiss." ~Misread, my novel-in-progress!
                          "If I wasn't smart, I'd be dead."~The Naming, by Alice Croggon

Comment

Gigo--sorry, I edited your post to remove the non-working HTML and to hide the spoiler text and eve ate the post and deleted it (I got a very weird "does not exist" error), and I can't "Back" to it in my browser. (sigh).

You may want to repost and just use the <pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> [color:white] [/color]</pre> tags for the spoiler text, like everybody else.
                            New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

Originally posted by Earwen:
                              PM - that's unfair. I deleted that post.
                              Oh, sorry. I thought you meant you hadn't read HBP yet, and you'd just done a joke post as a way of saying so. I didn't realise it was a computer problem.
                              If the buttons don't work for you, you can type the codes in [] - just color:white and /color - yes, with the wrong spelling, which is difficult if you touch-type.
                              Lisa:
                              <span class="ev_code_white">At the very least, Harry will probably have to visit Hogwarts to search for one or more of the Horcruxes. And, if Ron becomes Quidditch Captain, Harry will have to visit for the games. (I'm assuming that Ron and Hermione will only be with Harry until term starts again, then they'll go back to Hogwarts.)
                              If Harry survives hunting down Voldemort, then he can go back and finish school a year late. Poor Harry. That'll mean he has to be in the same classes as Ginny.</span>
                              Just the FAQs, ma'am: Chat, Board and Books.

Comment

Guess who finished HP today!?

Anyway, you guys had me biased before I even looked at the first page. And [here come the spoilers:] <span class="ev_code_WHITE">when Harry did the spell on Malfoy, I thought he was dead! _That_ would've been shocking, and Malfoy was huggle-able then. So for the next few pages, I was like, "He's gonna die, he's gonna die, he's gonna die, he's gonna - oh, I guess he's all better, then." So Dumbledore's death wasn't that shocking. I mean, you were prepped for it. He was my guess before Malfoy came along like that. After D died, it meant that the stage was set for the next book, but I wasn't as attached to him as I was to Sirius (who isn't dead!!!). And Snape was (well, duh) one of my guesses for the HBP until JKR dropped some hints that were meant to mislead. I wish Snape had stayed huggle-able, but he didn't. Kreacher, however was. He earned it after the Christmas "present."

All the ships were stupid. I'm serious! And EVERYTHING was a ship. It was like JKR couldn't come up with interesting stuff for the plot, so she does this instead.

Oh, and HP was doing just about everything alone. That's out of character.

I didn't have a problem with the Horcruxes. *shrugs*

And what's HP gonna do about potions class now? It would've been nice if he had actually picked up some skill from using the HBP book, but whatever.

I don't get Snape. So there was a streak of good in HP's first year at the Quidditch match, yet disgust for Dumbledore, and ??? to the rest. But I want Malfoy to turn good now.

Fluer/Bill... I don't like. Same for Tonks/Lupin. What's with all the ships!? TOO MANY!! Oh, and they're all SHALLOW.</span>

Alla:
                                <span class="ev_code_WHITE">I have just had a complete utter brainwave! For those of you who have read it and are wondering who R.A.B could be on that note - what if its Sirus' younger brother? Regulus (middle name note mentioned) Black?! What do you guys think?</span>
                                <span class="ev_code_WHITE">That would be really cool. Isn't he dead? Well, there's nothing to say that that wouldn't stop him from getting the horcrux; it could even be the reason that he died. In fact, when I was puzzling over it, just fitting in random names, I was like, ooh, Regalus. Who's Regalus? Wrong book, maybe. And I wondered about Sirius, but I couldn't remember his last name.

Oh, and Ginny/HP was the worst ever. And all the things related to it were just stupid.

So... Sirius was as good as gone from this book. :/ I guess the greif was restricted to the end of the last book.

I think AD's pleading was partially in disbeleif like, no, this can't really be true. There was a lot of weight in that trust.

Harry's obsession with Malfoy was stupid.</span>

OMG, I was thinking that too! But, erm, <span class="ev_code_WHITE">there'd be a problem destroying that horcrux!!! And if you look at the prophecy, it doesn't make too much sense.</span>

===
                                END OF SPOILER PROTECTION
                                I'm just not gonna white it out.
                                Added anyway - Peter

Lisa:
                                Quirrell was basically possessed, but Harry and Voldemort have a mental connection, strong enough to unknowingly pass information and emotion to the other.
                                <span class="ev_code_white">Dumbledore mentioned that Voldemort lost attachment with his horcruxes, which would mean he wouldn't notice if one was missing or had been tampered with, whatever. Or at least it happened over time. Which would mean that... none of what happened in the last book would've happened. Yet, HP's parents' death was supposed to be the last Horcrux, right? So what happened with the next? And that would've made Harry-as-a-Horcrux more likely.</span>
                                Gigo: Hey, it's the person who puts 'asian' in 'caucasian'. Hi, Gryph. | | | wildflower: Hmm... should I side with "Gryph is more insane" based on conclusive evidence, or "Sharky is more insane" based on tradition? | | | [url="http://mariposa-mentiro

Comment

Working...
                                X