Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm going to do a reissue of this...
    For any one who does not have books 3 and 4 in DD's Rihannsu series (Honor Blade and Swordhunt), I have duplicate copies. I will mail them, free, to the first person who asks for them. It's a great way to refamiliarize yourself with the Star Trek/Rihannsu universe. Spread the word!
    "Thus is Balance maintained." A Wizard of Earthsea
    "Condensing fact from the vapor of nuance." Neal Stephenson, Snow Crash

Comment

• my fav. series is:

Immortal
      Song of the Lioness
      They are connected.
      Harry Potter
      Wheal of Time By RJ
      Eragon
      Young Wizzards-of course

All Totaly Awsome!!!1
      "We are all just Slowlife." - Me
      "Oh, to soar high in the sky on the back of a dragon."- Me
      "Songs are the soul of life"-?

Comment

• One of my favorites is Elements of Style. It teaches people how to spell and use proper grammar. The dictionary is also good for those with difficulties in language.
        Hy gododin cataan hue
        Hud a lledrith mal wyddan
        Guance ae bellawn wen cabri
        Varigal don Fincayra
        Dravia, dravia Fincayra

Comment

• *looks enviously at blue* I would probably find Enid Blyton's books only - the rest seem to have disappeared!!

Wheel of Time? I've been meaning to read them, but have never gotten down to it... Is it very important to follow the series?? I can't find the first book *sighs*

On first sight, I thought you were talking about reading dictionaries, maxxrox

Not forgetting the Young Wizards as well, some of my favourite series are the Saga of Darren Shan, as well as Stephen King's Dark Tower series. I don't know why I prefer adventures now, when I absolutely loathe them as a younger child... (I'm still a child!! ) Well, I guess preferences do change.

"The man in black fled across the desert..." -- The Gunslinger, Stephen King

Comment

• Ok, I read all the ones I mentioned, plus From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler. That was some fun stuff. Now, though, I really need some more substantial reading. They were, as I said, fun, but were short (I read 10 j/ya books in about 4 days - during finals) and rather ephemeral.

Also I need to read some books I haven't read before. I'm keeping track on LJ of books I've read this year and here are my personal challange stats:

98 / 100 books
            26 / 30 new books
            36,167 / 50,000 pages

I doubt I'll read my page goal (I set it too high to begin with), but I think I can manage 4 more new books between now and the end of the year, if they're not too long (for instance, I'm not going to try The Historian again just yet).

Blue~

Comment

• i read Mixed-Up Files in 6th grade and enjoyed it immensely. while i wait for someone to pay for my copy of Wizards at War (hehe i'm so pathetic) i am rereading Pride and Prejudice and Jane Eyre, which are both quite good.

can anyone suggest some good books for a teenager to read? my friend keri told me about a Bartimaeus Trilogy, which i need to look for.
              I choose my friends for their good looks, my acquaintances for their good characters, and my enemies for their intellects. A man cannot be too careful in the choice of his enemies. I have not got one who is a fool.--Oscar Wilde

Comment

• Hmmm.. trying to think up stuff libraries would have. Well, if you liked Mixed-Up Files, you can always try another Konigsburg, like her Eleanor of Aquitaine one, A Proud Taste For Scarlet and Miniver. Or you might like Elizabeth Marie Pope's two books The Perilous Gard and The Sherwood Ring.

What about Anne McCaffrey's Harper Hall Trilogy (Dragonsong, Dragonsinger, Dragondrums), or Zenna Henderson's People books? And then there are always DD's Star Trek books. Oh, and Terry Pratchett's Tiffany Aching series: Wee Free Men, A Hatful of Sky, and Wintersmith.
                New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

• This topic is excellent. I am writing down titles and authors as I type. :P

Anyway, I really feel the need to rave about the books I finished recently: Twilight and New Moon, by Stephenie Meyer. These books...wow. I love them passionately. ( so passionately that me and my best friend have spent hours discussing them and wailing and crying and whatnot.) They were about four hundred pages each, and I finished a book per day out of pure excitement. I probably wouldn't have slept at all, except for the fact that my mom told me off for staying up so late. *sigh* Now I just keep re-reading them again and again, and I still cry at the sad parts. I'm such a sap. XD But really, these books are beautiful. Heartrending, lovely, exquisite--whatever you prefer, but they are amazing.

At the moment, I am reading Jane Eyre and Lord of The Flies, along with the latest Pendragon book (hey, the author has some pretty cool settings that he's brought to life, and I want to know what happens...), The Last Colony (the latest Artemis Fowl) and I'm getting to Red Is For Remembrance, part of a series I love.

Apparaently, the third book in the Inkheart series is due to come out soon; Inkdeath. (sounds ominous, no?) I can't wait! *claps gleefully*

Oh! My friend and I (yes, the same one mentioned before ) read The End as soon as we could get our hands on it; now that we've finished the series, we're a little depressed and more than a little confused. (read the Beatrice Letters to get what I mean.) Daniel Handler is going to be sorely missed.

Waiting is probably the worst part of reading. After you've finished one book, it's just awful to have to wait for the next in the series. But the upside of that is that we always have other books to intrigue us while we're waiting.

Oh, and for anyone who hasn't read the, A Great And Terrible Beauty and its sequel, Rebel Angels, do so. Excellent reads; I'm waiting anxiously for the next installment. Of course there are a lot of other things that I wanted to mention that now I can't remember...how typical of me. *grin*

-peri

Comment

• I really should read those books, a friend was telling me how good they were. Oh well, next time I go to B&N I'll look. Yes, A Great and Terrible Beauty and it's sequel are REALLY good, I can't wait till the third one comesa out. Actually I can't wait for a few books. The last of the Eragon books, and Inkdeath, and of course, the last Harry Potter (But not so much) I got the last of Mercedes Lackey's Joust books. YAY for Dragons!And now, there is NOTHING for me to read! WAAAAAAAA! Except of course those books that you mentioned Peri. Oh well, enough of my babling. Got to go.
                    Tourist, Rincewind decided, meant "idiot".
                    Terry Pratchett, The Colour of Magic
                    Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.
                    Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

Comment

• are you insane?!?!?! i LOVE the Harry Potter books. i was really sad when [<span class="ev_code_white">Dumbledore died</span>], i almost cried. has anyone read The Memory Keeper's Daughter? that's an interseting book...really deep. i'm gonna miss A Series of Unfortunate Events...they were so hilariously good. i really need to go to B&N before christmas break, else i'll "go distracted" as Mrs. Bennett would say. i need to check my email. adios!

[edited to whiteout Harry Potter spoiler. --kli.
                      I choose my friends for their good looks, my acquaintances for their good characters, and my enemies for their intellects. A man cannot be too careful in the choice of his enemies. I have not got one who is a fool.--Oscar Wilde

Comment

• I think that as the Harry Potter books get longer and longer, they get filled with more and more fluff and that the whole story gets more and more goth-like. My personal opinion is that at this point, Rowling is writing more for the advertisers than for the readers. The last Harry Potter book I enjoyed was the third.
                        Hy gododin cataan hue
                        Hud a lledrith mal wyddan
                        Guance ae bellawn wen cabri
                        Varigal don Fincayra
                        Dravia, dravia Fincayra

Comment

• there are many books out there i like harry potter and eragonan etc. but the only good ones are the ones that give you a vision like when you read it, it play in you head like a movie in the theater.

Comment

• are you insane?!?!?! i LOVE the Harry Potter books. i was really sad when Dumbledore died, i almost cried.
                            Me too. Maxxrox the Harry Potter books are great. And Ashnashi it's not always the books fault that a reader can't get a vision when you read it some times it's the reader. Like when I read even if the book is horribely written I can get a vision in my head.

Harry Potter is awesome

Comment

• I AM SICK OF HARRY POTTER. I know Rowling is planning on releasing her books at this pace...so that she can get the money....and to broaden the audience (there are generations already, who hace read the book!), but spacing the releases also lose fans. I want to read the last book, see that Harry dies and go, "Oh okay." If I have read all the books, say 5 years back, I think it would have intrigued me...so Rowling, release you book! I want to see Harry die, and continue with life.

Comment

• speak for yourself. what will probably happen, like what always happens with these kinds of books, is that Harry will defeat Voldemort, Ron and Hermione will get together, Harry and Ginny will stay together, and they will all live happily ever after. however, that doesn't stop me from liking the books.

Comment

Working...
                                X