No announcement yet.

Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i don't think ginny is stupid enough to get killed just because harry left her to keep her safe. of course ron would be torn apart if hermione died. they'd be dating if they'd stop fighting. [[color:white}how is it possible that dumbledore didn't die? there's no way someone sould have switched places with him in the minute that they were alone before malfoy came into the tower. unless, of course, dumbledore has a horcrux...but he's not evil enough to commit murder, unless everything we've been told is a complete and utter lie.[/color]]

sorry...this post is completely backwards in replying to yours, jwiz. i wish i knew, too, but that would spoil the ending, so i guess i'll wait...

[edited to whiteout spoilers. --kli]
    I choose my friends for their good looks, my acquaintances for their good characters, and my enemies for their intellects. A man cannot be too careful in the choice of his enemies. I have not got one who is a fool.--Oscar Wilde

Comment

• no... [<span class="ev_code_white">Dumbledor really is dead....</span>] but every loss only fuels Harry's power, and now that both Sirius <span class="ev_code_white">and Dumbledor</span> are gone, i wouldn't want to cross him now....

[edited to whiteout spoilers. --kli]
      <center><p style="font-family:times;font-size:70%">*Lilith*Lil*L*Lex*Lexa*Lexi*Alex*Ayan*Ay ankha*Bryce*Sakura*Lady Black*Niya*Ghost*Lady*Tai*Tig*Tygera*Punk-D*Punkti*K'ra*Sha'uri*Kiara*</p></center>

Comment

• I just finished reading Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. That was such a good book! I refuse to discuss anything about Harry Potter since she killed off Dumbledore. I will just wait patiently for the seventh book to come out, read it, and get on with my life. I'm not saying that everyone else can't, but not going to even think about it.
        Tourist, Rincewind decided, meant "idiot".
        Terry Pratchett, The Colour of Magic
        Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.
        Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

Comment

• did you really like dumbledore? i'm sorry...i, however, will think about it, since i really like the books. i re-read WH, and it really made me want W of M...
          I choose my friends for their good looks, my acquaintances for their good characters, and my enemies for their intellects. A man cannot be too careful in the choice of his enemies. I have not got one who is a fool.--Oscar Wilde

Comment

• he wasn't my favourite character, but he was a good man... very well developed, though a little blind where it counts... i make it a point not to pick favourites other than between the main protagonist and his/her antogonist(s) especially in a long series like Harry Potter. it saves me from heart-break when the secondary characters die... though i did become quite attached to Sirius
            <center><p style="font-family:times;font-size:70%">*Lilith*Lil*L*Lex*Lexa*Lexi*Alex*Ayan*Ay ankha*Bryce*Sakura*Lady Black*Niya*Ghost*Lady*Tai*Tig*Tygera*Punk-D*Punkti*K'ra*Sha'uri*Kiara*</p></center>

Comment

• Really? I found Sirius obnoxious. I mean, when they first met he was okay, but he kept expecting Harry to be his father, and was disappointed when he wasn't. Kind of like Snape in that regard, actually. I admit I <span class="ev_code_WHITE">wasn't at all upset when Sirius died, plus it was such a...not-final sort of death. For all we know, there is some esoteric way to bring him back after all. The magic of the HP universe is pretty random.</span> That's all. But then, I'm not a huge HP fan anyway.

Blue~

Comment

• i rather liked sirius myself...he was sort of another father for harry, and they were really close. [<span class="ev_code_white">i doubt that rowling brings him back. his death was, granted, very unsatisfying, as if he was meant for a grander death or something...</span>]

yeah, lilith...dumbledore was sometimes a little blind, but i think it made him more endearing, plus he had a sense of humor...

[edited to white out spoiler comment --kli.]

Comment

• Marina -

The reason I put that bit in white text is because it's a spoiler for people who haven't read the books. It's just polite to white-out major plot points like that so people aren't "spoiled". If you open the full posting form and click on the little painter's pallette next to the smiley face, you can pick a color.

And in reply to what you said: <span class="ev_code_WHITE">I don't know if she would necessarily bring him back, but I'm just saying the possibility is out there, because his death seemed unfinished, which made his death less powerful in my opinion.</span>

Blue~

Comment

• Makdragon, I love Good Omens, too. Did you come to it via Pratchett or Gaiman or both? (BTW, they'll do some really funny double-signings on the book if you get the chance. Stuff like "Apply Match Here"). I came via Gaiman, and then ended up ripping through all of the Discworld books in something like six weeks. I really hope they eventually work out how to write the sequel/followup, but that's still just a mere hint of a possibility of a chance right now.
                    New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

• Actually I came via Pratchett, I read all of his Discworld books first, and now I'll probably go through all of Gaiman's. I REALLY would LOVE it if they wrote a sequel, but as you said, it's not too likely at the moment. Has anyone here read Sharron Shinn? A friend of mine just sent me one of her books for Channukah and I just started reading it. What's the consesus? And right now I'm also in the middle of two other books while I'm reading Shinn's book, I'm reading Good Omens again and Eldest (again). Anyways have a Merry Christmas all, and a Happy Channukah.
                      Tourist, Rincewind decided, meant "idiot".
                      Terry Pratchett, The Colour of Magic
                      Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.
                      Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

Comment

• i agree with blue [( do you mind if i call you blue? )] sirius' death was somewhat unsatifactory, and <span class="ev_code_WHITE">the possibility of him coming back is palpable, but unlikely. just like the angel of destiney said in the last season of Charmed, every loss fuels the rage and want to defeat evil... Sirius' death served as fuel for Harry's ambition. </span> now Rowling could have thought of a better way to kill Sirius, but that's where fanfiction comes into play....

the reason why i liked Sirius is because, though there was a gender gap and Harry kept on trying to mold him into a father figure, Sirius treated Harry the same way he had treated James, as a brother and a friend. Sirius understood his responsibilities as Harry's Godfather, but he just wasn't ready for the father role imho...

Comment

• Lilith - I don't mind, everyone here calls me Blue; bluesalamanders is easy enough for me to type out quickly, but I've been using it as a handle various places for 8 or so years now, I'm used to it .

I think Harry could have dealt with Sirius as a friend - he had Dumbledore for the father (grandfather?) figure, after all, and he could always use more friends - but like I said, it annoyed me how Sirius always expected Harry to practically be James and had so much trouble accepting him as the good student, the one who follows the rules (usually), and so on, as opposed to a scapegrace like James was. Actually, as characterizations goes, that was probably fairly believeably, particularly if Harry looked as much like James as I seem to recall people saying he did. But that doesn't mean I have to like it, you know? I kept thinking, let him be who he is, stop expecting him to be someone else!

Blue~

Comment

• everyone always thought Harry was the perfect blend of his parents.... he looks exactly like James, except his eyes, and acted alot like Lilly in his straight arrow, good student act.. those few moments of mischeif showed James' temperment. Sirius said so himself, how much Harry acted like Lilly. But really, Sirius just wasn't ready to move on. He would do almost anything to get the good old days back, including subliming Harry as James. It's a shame really, he had soo much potential as a character... i think that's what got me hooked to him...

Comment

• I'm not sure which characte I like...
                              hte title for the seventh book is out now. It is HP and the Deathly Hallows. At least, that is what i heard.
                              And it did seem that SIrius wanted Harry to be like his dad. but I still thought it sad that he died, since Harry really would miss him.
                              Sorry this is short. Not much to say right now!
                              "You're so funny. Sometimes, I wish I was a little elf, so I could ride around on your shoulder all day and laugh at you." - my mom. (Yes, she honestly told me that. *rolls eyes*)

Comment

• Deathly Hallows...i was informed of that from one of my driends yesterday. i got to (I would have said gotta, but someone's been complaining about slang in general...i would think it stupid to charge per post...i thought you paid for the message board in general) say its a good conclusion. im happy...and i want to see him die-then good riddens.

Comment

Working...
                                X