No announcement yet.

Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone read stormbreaker or any of the following books? it's by Anthony Horowitz, and i ask do to the fact that they're making it into a movie...so i figure people who have read it and forgot about it, will remember it now. I did...found two books i didn't know existed in teh series, even.
    I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.
    For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

• I've read it, and to be honest, wasn't that thrilled with it, it's the same storyline over and over again, a lot like Clive Cussler actually, or James Bond, just younger.
      Tourist, Rincewind decided, meant "idiot".
      Terry Pratchett, The Colour of Magic
      Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.
      Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

Comment

• My friends are in love with that series. I personally, didn't particularly like stormbreaker, but point blank was ok. I honestly, after reading soo many good books, think that it isn't a great series. I mean, I could have liked it once, but my horizons expanded, so to speak. And besides, these are the action obsessed friends who didn't like SYWTBAW because they thought it was boring. Sheeesh.

As for the Princess Bride movie, I never got to see it, but one of the above friends saw it, and we were reciting, "I am Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die. I am Inigo Montoya! You killed my father! Prepare to die! I AM INIGO MONTOYA! YOU KILLED MY FATHER! PREPARE TO DIE!!" all during english class. That was fun. I gotta see that.

As for upcoming books, I am awaiting tomorrow with baiting breath because *drumroll* The 13th Series of Unfortunate Events comes out!! Yay!! I hope it has a happy ending, though... 'Cause if it didn't, I would be angryyyy....

Ahh, well. Still waiting for Wintersmith, heh. *rubs hands excitedly* I need to get that..
        just let your heart take over and sign with a flourish

Comment

• Originally posted by Birdhead:
          ... and I just read Mary Shelley's Frankenstein and was surprised by how much I enjoyed it.
          Hey, for the work of a 19 year old, it's pretty dang impressive.

I have begun reading The Pinhoe Egg. I like it. I am massively amused that it's packaged like a Harry Potter, though. I swear, they're using the exact same page layouts, and extra leading to get a bigger page count. [shakes head].

One of my favorite sf convention stories is that after the movie of The Princess Bride came out, Mike Ford went out, bought a bunch of those "Hello, my name is..." name badges, and filled them in with "Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die." and gave them out to folks.

I continue to work my way throught the ouevre of Paul Gallico. I doubt his work would interest many here, with the possible exception of Thomasina (yes it's the book the Disney movie was based on). But I find them to be great fun. I remain stuck in Quicksilver (sigh). Someday I will finish Stephenson's Baroque Cycle.
          New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

• the alex rider series is pretty good especially the newest one. although the movie looks pretty lousy. i probably won't see it.
            busy reading

Comment

• I have just finished reading The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by Kate DiCamillo, and let me tell you, it was a seriously great book. At first, you go, okay, a porcelein rabbit. Big deal. But then you get all wrapped up in his heart-breaking story, and it's so good you can't help but read it in under three hours!

*cough*

Well, I just thought I'd put that out there. That book totally deserves a Newberry, in my opinion, and I have never, not once said that. Ever. It's just such a moralistic book in the oddest ways. And truthful, unbelievably truthful. And fun to read aloud (I read like half of it out loud to my mom in the car today). So I suggest reading it. I doubt you'll regret it.
              just let your heart take over and sign with a flourish

Comment

• makdragon said:I've read it, and to be honest, wasn't that thrilled with it, it's the same storyline over and over again, a lot like Clive Cussler actually, or James Bond, just younger.
                i can see you feeling that way...my protection lies in the fact that i've never really READ any spie books...or seem to many spie movies. so while i know the basic story line, It's not same old same old quite so much...plus i know almost all the story lines i run into. i once read a book, and picked out all the people the main character would fall in love with almost the second he ran into them simply do to the fact that it fits the story line...
                For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

• I just got the Pinhoe Egg, and the newest Artemis Fowl book, I'm really looking forward to them! I'm not sure what you mean it being packaged in the same way as Harry Potter, maybe my book is just different? But now I'm set for the next two days. And then, it'll be back to the bookstore (or library) for me.
                  Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.
                  Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

Comment

• there's a NEW artmis fowl book? other then opal of deception? *cheers* oh, and the movie doesnt' look that bad...i was a bit worried when they said spying was a family buisness, but it turns out they just meant how his uncle was a spy...and i was curious about the girl and how it looked like he was in school, but i think they added in the second book and that was...i think her name was falicia friend? either way, there you have it...

Comment

• At the moment, besides rereading the entire YW series, I'm reading Julius Caesar for English class (but the test is tomorrow and we're finishing acting and stuff on Friday), rereading Tithe and Valiant by Holly Black (who is SO nice), and I'm also rereading "I'd Tell You I Love You, but Then I'd Have to Kill You" by Ally Carter which has quite a long title, but is also quite a story.
                      --I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!

Comment

• I just started Robert A. Heinlein's A Door Into Summer and I love it. My school library has tons of them so I know what I'll be reading for a while.
                        I just finished a french book report on Stargirl. I another due in a couple of weeks on a mystery/suspense novel. I don't have a book yet and I need to get to Chapters!
                        Has anyone read The Great Tree of Avalon trilogy by T.A. Barron? The last one came out last week but I haven't read it yet. Piratica II came out the same day.
                        Anyways, I've rambled on too long (and irrevelantly). Oh well.
                        ~~~~Dani~~~~

Comment

• I read the two books I got, I had said I was set for two days. I was really only set for a day and a half. But the books were very good, even if my brother DID try to ruin them for me. At the moment I'm reading The Seer and the Sword. Now that's a good book. But I think I need to go to the library I need other things to read! Oh yeah, and I finally read Eragon. It was ok, It could have been written better, but the storyline was sound.
                          Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

Comment

• Not that it's any substitute for DD's Feline Wizard novels, but I finished a book by S.F. Said called Varjak Paw (I bought it mostly because it was illustrated by Dave McKean, and I'd heard he was going to develop it for film), which is about a Mesopotamian Blue who goes out into the world to save his family. It's a little creepy and a lot of fun, but for me, the cats didn't feel as catlike as DD's.

Has anybody read the second book?
                            New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

• So, I read The End. I quite enjoyed it. And I liked the way that the series title got worked in and a lot of other things. But I'm sad that there will be no more Lemony Snicket. OTOH, I can always go out and buy Gothic Archies CDs, so there's always that. [grin].

I am now plowing my way through the new Nora Roberts trilogy, which is supposed to be fantasy, and it's kind of working for me and kind of not working for me, but that's probably because I was hoping for a straight romance and got eh-ok-vampires instead. Not as strong, for my money, as the J.D. Robb crime procedurals, but I'm sure it'll work for someone.

I also picked up a copy of the decidedly not-for-kids completely grossout serial-killer laden Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay, because I really like Dexter on Showtime. I hope I don't get nightmares.

I'm also picking my way slowly through the lovely lovely treats in Susannah Clarke's short story anthology, The Ladies of Grace Adieu. Wonderful stuff that feels very much like Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell only through many more historical periods, both forwards and backwards in time. Absolutely wonderful.

I also picked up DD's latest Star Trek novel, The Empty Chair, but am saving it for when I've got the time to really savor it. I have a sneaking suspicion it might call for a complete readthrough of the Rihannsu books...

Comment

• 'sfunny, you're talking about all these new books, and I'm taking a trip down memory lane. I read a bunch of new and new-to-me books recently, so then I read Patricia Wrede's Mairelon the Magician and Magician's Ward to balance it out.

I was going to read some more new books, when someone on my LJ flist mentioned The Ordinary Princess, which I read when I was young, which got me on a nostalgia kick. I was visiting my parents at the time, so I searched my bedroom and found my copy, and some other J/YA books I read around the same time. So here's what I've read the past couple of days:

The Ordinary Princess
                                The Farthest-Away Mountain
                                The Fairy Rebel
                                The Last Slice of Rainbow

Currently reading:
                                The Castle in the Attic

Up next:
                                Eyes in the Fishbowl
                                Afternoon of the Elves

I haven't read many of these in 10 or 15 years. They're pretty much how I remember them, though, albeit a little shorter

Blue~

Comment

Working...
                                X