Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by meteorite:
    From the other side of the English Channel...

"Jack, you have debauched my sloth!" Dr. Maturin, H.M.S Surprise
    One of the best damn lines ever in any book, anywhere.
    If you're feeling in the mood for some chewy naval fiction set in the Napoleonic Era, I suggest...
    Patrick O'Brien
    Dudley Pope
    Alexander Kent
    Dewey Lambkin
    and of course the father of them all, Forester.

...set staysails and topsails...
    I think Lambkin's the only one in that list I've not read. And, of course, we wish to make clear that we speak of C.S. Forester, not E.M.

However, Napoleonic naval/military fiction is not swashbuckling. And if you've finished reading all the Sabatini and Dumas there is, and Perez-Reverte is letting you down, then there's only one thing for you. You have to read Dorothy Dunnett. (grin)

And now for something completely different.

I have read Wintersmith. It so totally rocks. It is as good as the previous Tiffany Aching books by Terry Pratchett, and in some ways is a great deal more fun because Tiffany has discovered boys and gets to hang with Nanny Ogg. (I hooted out loud when it turns out that she lives in Tir Nanny Ogg. Oh, and the Dark Morris from Reaper Man makes a repeat appearance.

Next week--new Chrestomanci book from Diana Wynne Jones! Anybody else excited about The Pinhoe Egg?
    New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

• Ooh, yes, The Pinhoe Egg! Very excited indeed, though I was rather hoping to see a teenaged Cat Chant. C'est la vie. At least she showed us what Christopher was like at sixteen already, which was just too much fun

I Am The (Semi-Original) Roshaun Fan. Yay for Prince Unlikely!

Comment

• Who hasn't read narnia? I mean...it's narnia..they even made it into a movie...so yeah, who hasn't read it? :P well, i must go...computer time running low on library computer...but it's been good catching up on the last few days posts in less then fifteen minutes...I'll leave you to decide if it's fast typing, or little posts. :P sorry for the rant...i should probably be going to togr for this...well, i leave you!

well, since i'm here...*thinks of books that are good* pendragon...Eragon...Sword of truth series...wheel of time series...Series of unfortunte events is good if your down and need something to tell you others have it worse...sword of truth series rocks...And over all, anything involving dragons is good...:P

Merging two posts - Peter
        I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.
        For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

• The other day, my English class was complaining about having nothing to read. My teacher started a list on the board. We were allowed to make suggestions. Needless to say I had eight titles to add to the list.

Anyhoo, I just finished reading Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson. That was good. I can't wait for Wintersmith- the blurb on amazon.ca looked good.
          ~~~~Dani~~~~

Comment

• kli6:
            I have read Wintersmith. It so totally rocks. It is as good as the previous Tiffany Aching books by Terry Pratchett, and in some ways is a great deal more fun because Tiffany has discovered boys and gets to hang with Nanny Ogg. (I hooted out loud when it turns out that she lives in Tir Nanny Ogg.
            Thank goodness it's good, I couldn't stand reading a bad Tiffany Aching story (but I'd read it anyway), :P
            I saw the blurb online and it looked gooood...If only I was rich. Or had at least enough to buy the book...:\ I doubt they'll have it at the Book Fair...

Oh well, I'll get it eventually. Yay for libraries!!
            just let your heart take over and sign with a flourish

Comment

• Thanks for merging the topics pm...i was working under email and i had posts here from two different days...i posted first in response to one day, then in response to another and they ended up like that...Oh...and LIBRARIES RULE! truly, they do...
              I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.
              For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

• I just read Wintersmith, and it was fantastic. I love the Nac Mac Feegle! Anyways, other good books? Well, I ususally go by author. Here are few good ones, some have already probably been said, but could still be repeated.
                Diana Wynne Jones (Especially Chrestomanci series)
                Anne McCaffrey (DRAGONS!!!!!!!!!)
                Terry Pratchett
                Brian Jaques
                Mercedes Lackey
                K.A. Applegate (Animorphs! I don't care what you say, turning into animals is cool.)
                J.R.R. Tolkien (Lord of the Rings rocks, despite the fact I've never seen the movies)
                And that's all I can think of right now. I haven't read Eragon, but I will, as soon as I can take it out of the library. Is it really that good?

Oh yeah, and Orson Scott Card (Ender's Game)
                Tourist, Rincewind decided, meant "idiot".
                Terry Pratchett, The Colour of Magic
                Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.
                Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

Comment

• A few authors for you, makdragon: Naomi Novik (McCaffrey crossed with O'Brian), Sharon Shinn (McCaffrey, but with angels instead of dragons), Robin McKinley's Beauty or The Blue Sword, Lloyd Alexander's Time Cat, John Flanagan's Ranger's Apprentice series, Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials, Garth Nix's Sabriel or Keys to the Kingdom series, Neil Gaiman's Stardust, Pamela Dean's The Hidden Country series, Emma Bull's War for the Oaks, John M. Ford's Growing Up Weightless, Hope Mirrlees's Lud-in-the-Mist, Douglas Adams's Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Let me know if you need more.
                  New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

• Kli, Garth Nix is brilliant, isn't he? And i loved The Hitchhiker's Guide as well, it was hilarious and cleverly written. And His Dark Materials! *gasp* Oh gosh, gorgeous books! The ending did, however, make me very sad.

makdragon, I've just finished the first two books in a series by Juliet Mariller, the Sevenwaters trilogy. The first is called Daughter of The Forest, the second Son of The Shadows, and the third Child of The Prophecy. They're written beautifully, and I really REALLY loved them! The girl in the second book is so far, my favorite of the three main girls. ( I am still reading the third.) The first girl was perhaps too accepting of what the Fair Folk told her to do, but the second had more spunk and disregarded their words. So my kind of girl. I highly reccomend this series, especially if you love mythology/fantasy.

-peri

Comment

• Thanks for the recommendations! I've read His Dark Materials, and I loved it, I read Time Cat (I read it cuz of the cat on the cover), it was good, and I read Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy, it was so-so, but that's probably because I saw the TV series first. Oh wait, also read Pamela Dean's series. But I look forward to reading the others. Thanks again.
                      Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.
                      Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

Comment

• I'm sorry, I don't have much to say, but did you ever consider reading The Princess Bride? I just read an abridged version, and it was really good. I can't help but not like the ending (it's human nature), but that's ok. The whole book is really, really good. But I'd definately advise reading the adbriged version. Apparently the unabridged version is the like the Prologue to the Felloship of the Ring. It's ok, but only in small quantities.

Butm yeah, that's it.

Comment

• Mel,

You do know that S. Morgenstern isn't a real person, right?

Blue~

Comment

• Now I do, XD

(kicks away Poot)

Comment

• Anyone read the Thief trilogy by Megan Whalen Turner? The third volume just came out this year and I just read it today, which is why it's on my mind. I really enjoyed the series a lot (it's comprised of The Thief, Queen of Attolia and King of Attolia and I think some of y'all would really enjoy them. Set in fictional countries in vague Past Times (in terms of the balance of nations and so forth, it most closely resembles Ancient Greece; in terms of technology, probably Napoleonic. They have watches and things.) it features Eugenides, the Queen's Thief of Eddis. He is unbelievably kickass, and so is his cousin the Queen and, really, everyone. Everyone's cool. It has a fantastic mythology and great twists, and it makes me really sad that not many people have read them. So, yeah, highly recommended.

I'm also really enjoying Kelly Ana Morey's Bloom right now, and I just read Mary Shelley's Frankenstein and was surprised by how much I enjoyed it.
                              Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

• I read the Princess Bride, I happened to like the movie more though. But with movies it always depends whether you've read the book before or after. For example, I HATE the Harry Potter movies, I cannot stand them, so I prefer the books, because I read them first. But for the Little Meremaid, as an example, I saw the movie and THEN I read the story, I got to admit I prefer Disney's version. I saw the books you mentioned, the Thief trilogy? It looked interesting, haven't been able to really check it out yet.
                                Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

Comment

Working...
                                X