No announcement yet.

Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• well, all i know is that harry cannot keep on winning, and the last one will be like the two being one person or something. And so harry will have to kill voldemort; and by doing so kill himself. something like that.

i think the only thriller are the side romances. like, did you seeing the movie for the 4th? it was a bush! that was lame. it was so cut down, it ruined my perception on the 4th book.

another thing is harry and his luck. like come on, who can have all that luck?

Comment

• well, it's a book. what did you expect? this cheesy hero-always-wins stuff always happens in books, especially fantasy, where the hero-heroine conquers some abominably huge evil and lives happily ever after. also, the movies are never as good as the books, since they leave out some of the best stuff and add some really stupid actions and words. someone should write a letter of complaint to some high-and-mighty movie producer who has some influence in these matters.

but this is supposed to be about books. sorry for the ranting, but i had to get it out of my system. has anyone heard of something called the bartimaeus trilogy? my friend keri said it was really good.
      I choose my friends for their good looks, my acquaintances for their good characters, and my enemies for their intellects. A man cannot be too careful in the choice of his enemies. I have not got one who is a fool.--Oscar Wilde

Comment

• naw..teasing you about harry potter. i noticed you posted on eragon and i know another book that you might like...that's if you are interested in that genre. Luck In the Shadows by Lynn Flew-something. Great book, if you are okay with the mention of a guy-guy (hahaha, had to fix that because the site wouldnt let me put single-sex relation...nothing wrong with that)relationship. Like there arent any graphics...its rather cute. A Yaoi loving friend of mine said it was a good book and a safe one, and another non-Yaoi friend of mine gave me the OK, so i read it...and it cute, well written, and i am currently suffering the "withdrawal" from not reading the third installment because one of my friends have it.

A note on Harry Potter, good story but poor writing. Unless Rowling can think of anything better tow rite about, i think that's it for her.

Comment

• i like them too, but i have to say tamora pierce does a really good job. and sometimes it is not the readers fault but the wrighter. for example, when the reader is to brief you can barely get a picture in your head or where there is too much information that your brain overloades.
          ---
          i love your poem. the way it hits the soul and everything.
          ---
          ya i heard that [spoilers turned white: <span class="ev_code_white">harry has to kill himself inorder to preserve the wizards and mugels.</span>]
          ---
          no i have not. what is it about?
          ---
          it does have some slow points, but that is what makes it good.if there was too much action it would be boring.

[edited to consolidate QUINTUPLE post. Ashnashi, err, posting one-liners is bad. You might wanna read the Board FAQ, also, when replying to someone's post, you might wanna address them by name, so folks will know what you were referring to--kli.

Comment

• balthasar:

thanks for that idea for a book. i'll have to look for it whenever i get to a bookstore, or i could ask for it for christmas. and a note for a note: she may write other books, but none will acheive the well-known status of the Harry Potter series. like most authors, they have a couple big hits and their other works are not so noticed.
            I choose my friends for their good looks, my acquaintances for their good characters, and my enemies for their intellects. A man cannot be too careful in the choice of his enemies. I have not got one who is a fool.--Oscar Wilde

Comment

• Peri:
              Oh, and for anyone who hasn't read the, A Great And Terrible Beauty and its sequel, Rebel Angels, do so.
              A great and Terrible Beauty has a sequel??!! Since when??!!

I liked most of the book, but I think they sort of shyed away from the climax a little. Like it was only a page long. It could have been a little better. But it was still pretty good.

...only 13 days until I can *hopefully* get my hands on The End and Wintersmith...

Oh, and Peri: The next Inkheart book will be Inkdawn, not Inkdeath. It was supposed to be Inkdeath, but in the end Cornelia said it didn't fit any more.

*anxiously awaits awesome-looking movie*

balthasar:
              I know Rowling is planning on releasing her books at this pace...so that she can get the money....
              Personally, I think that is absolutely ridiculous. Ridikulus, hah. But anyway. If the books are getting longer, as many people seem to be complaining (what's wrong with long books?!!), it would take a long time to write it. So of course it is going to take a longer amount of time to write a longer book!

Hmm...I still say read The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane. You might have to buy it, though. It's pretty new.
              just let your heart take over and sign with a flourish

Comment

• Woohoo! I reached my goal of reading 100 books this year.

In fact, I'm going to surpass it a little - the year's not over and I haven't quite reached my goal of 30 new-to-me books, I need 4 more.

I'm currently reading 40 Signs of Rain by Kim Stanley Robinson. Anyone read anything by him? Mars trilogy? Antartica? They're incredibly good books (although I struggle with Blue Mars, the second half is so much more political and less SF, it's less interesting to me). It's very strange, when I'm reading this book, parts of it are very familliar, like I've read it before. I'm going to count it as a new book, because most of it I don't remember at all, but there are bits and pieces that are just so...my dad called it "book deja vu". It's very strange.

Hmm. Not sure what I'll read next. Hopefully not another dud like the last book I read (I made the mistake of picking up The Notebook, what an uninspired, poorly-written book). Hey, just a couple clunkers out of 100 books, that's not bad for a year of reading, right?

Blue~

Comment

• No Mel, its the fact that she has all her books done. I found out in a documentary that she had all her books sitting in boxes in her attic! GRR!!! I hate Rowling...and I hate the fact that I was introduced to the series.

Comment

• and how do you know that this documentary is trustworthy?! the only way you can know for certain that all of the Harry Potter books are, in fact, finished, is to ask j.k. rowling herself and, if you don't like the answer, raid her attic. it's like that john mayer (? did i spell that right ?) song says: "when you trust your television/what you get is what you got/'cause when they own the information/oh they can bend it all they want".

of course, i don't know if you got this info from the tv, and though the lyrics might not be exactly correct for this situation, the gist of the idea is still there: you can't trust the media. i don't want to start a huge debate, so i'll drop this.

on a lighter note...i got a B&N gift card today from my secret santa in spanish. yay! now i can buy The Stolen Child for cheaper! i'm all about saving money.

Comment

• Ya Ya Ya! It's great to be back it's been such a long time since I've been on here.
                      Well, concerning the topic I have always like Harry Potter, and they were the books that got me to read, or otherwise I wouldn't have found DD's books, because I wouldn't have been reading.
                      As for J.K. Rowling just writing for the money, sadly I am going to agree. I think that the first four had her heart in it, but the fifth one sucked, it was like someone else wrote it for her. The sixth one was more back on track, but I get the distinct impression that she really doesn't care anymore. You know, maybe she has moved on from this, advanced on to something she cares about more. Maybe she is just tired of the characters, so she is killing them all of just to have something to shock her readers, but whatever it is, I hope she will clean it up and go all the way for the last book, because I love the series and I would hate to see a bad ending.
                      I have a lot of loyalty to the books because they opened up so many new doors for me, but I thin that she could do better than the fifth book. I think she kinda got it together though on the sixth one because I loved that one.
                      Just the thoughts of a rambler.
                      Sehlinger
                      -AND I AM GOING TO EAT....IT... ALLLLLLLLLLLLL

Comment

• okay...you know what...YES! i will go in her attic. just remember, if there are any reports in the news about someone breaking into her attack WASNT ME. *sigh*, now i must figure a way to get her address; book a flight to europe; get a handling on the accent; and find some thief-appropriate clothes.

WASNT ME if you here of someone robbing her. and for your secret, i shall share the story. we shall read it front to back and sell copies calling it, "the possible harry potter ending" with a few words added to make it mine...ooh, her editors better not have it *laughes wickedly*.

Comment

• go ahead, be my guest to break into her house...and by all means, if you want to share it, i'll be glad to read it. you still can't sway me into thinking that rowling has acutally written the book yet.

and, samehl, she probably [<span class="ev_code_white">killed dumbledore because the actors changed from the 2nd and 3rd movies (the 1st actor died)</span>]. as for everyone else, you have to have something to keep people reading. the magic can only carry one so far...people need action, and disease can be cured with a potion/spell. every book has something like this, either love, affairs, death, lots of impossible action, etc.

if she goes all the way for the seventh book there will probably be another death, you know...

[edited to whiteout spoiler. --kli]

Comment

• [<span class="ev_code_white">
                            Originally posted by marina salem:
                            and, samehl, she probably killed dumbledore because the actors changed from the 2nd and 3rd movies (the 1st actor died).
                            I doubt it. It's like Obi-Wan Kenobi dying in A New Hope. The hero loses his mentor before confronting the villain. In Star Wars, two films before. In Harry Potter, one book before.</span>]

if she goes all the way for the seventh book there will probably be another death, you know...
                            Voldemort at least, I hope. And some of the Death Eaters, I expect. Although I think Harry deserves a bit of living happily ever after, I'm not convinced he'll survive either.

[edited to whiteout spoiler. --kli.]
                            Just the FAQs, ma'am: Chat, Board and Books.

Comment

• Everyone thinks Harry will die but I actually think if she were to kill off a main character it would be Hermione. When she <span class="ev_code_white">killed off Dumbledore</span> I think it was so powerful because it shows that everyone has their time, even the ones that we feel are immortal, or to smart to be mastered. I mean how much drama and tissue- blowings would that make in the book, when Harry flashes back right after she dies, or as she is dying, to the first time he meets her, and tells about all the stuff she did. I mean, it could make a great scene, but I hope everything turns out ok.
                              sehlinger

[edited to whiteout spoilers. --kli.]
                              -AND I AM GOING TO EAT....IT... ALLLLLLLLLLLLL

Comment

• I have no idea where I heard this, my mom I think, but she let slip somewhere, sometime, that one of the main characters WILL die. Or, at least, that's what she haerd. ANd some people think <span class="ev_code_white">it wasn't Dumbledore who died or that he didn't.</span> I don't know how they think it possible, but *Shrugs*. And that would be a very emotional sence, samehl, and I think Ron would be, like, torn apart by that. Multiple carachters could be possible candidates to die. Ginny, for example. I don't think she is going to let Harry leave her like that, even if he has a good reason. ANyhow, I have no idea. Wish I did though!

[edited to whiteout spoilers. --kli]
                                "You're so funny. Sometimes, I wish I was a little elf, so I could ride around on your shoulder all day and laugh at you." - my mom. (Yes, she honestly told me that. *rolls eyes*)

Comment

Working...
                                X