No announcement yet.

Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quill, I am so addicted to NESFA collections. It's really annoying.

Meteorite, I'm ticked that I can't find my copy of The Anything Box. I know I have one. The biggest "hits" I got via Zenna Henderson, though, were when I was reading the Cynthia Felice/Connie Willis novel, Promised Land, and when I ran into another Valancy in LM Montgomery's The Blue Castle.
    New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

Tui: I read the Merlin Conspiracy too! And I also did not know that it was a sequel! Wow...I'd never even heard of Deep Secret...

I liked the Merlin Conspiracy, although it was slow in the beginning. BTW, The Ropemaker is one of the slowest books ever. It's fantasy, and I actually had to STOP in the middle and read something else!! It's unheard of!

*Ella*

"'I wish none of this had happened.'
      'So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.'"
      -The Fellowship of the Ring
      *Ella*
      "But the night rolls around, and it all starts making sense
      There is no right way or wrong way, you just have to live
      And so I do what I do, and at least I exist;
      What could mean more than this?"
      --Bright Eyes

Comment

Mmph. I'm ashamed to say that I jsut never got in to [I[The Ropemaker.[/I] Several people told me it was great, but I just didn't get on with it; I'll have to try it again sometime. Did you enjoy it?

I guess TMC might be a bit slow... it didn't really bother me, though I got a bit frustrated that we spent so much time on Nick and not Roddy and yet didn't find out any of the backstory to Nick's family, etc. Of course, now I know why that was... 8rolls eyes* I should have guessed, really, but usually a book would have "sequel to" or "companion novel to" on the side... *shakes head*

"We are philosophical geniuses [sic] who will one day rule the world!"
        --Agent M
        Ahahahaha, Ahahahaha, Ahahahaha!
        Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

I read part of Sabriel, then I got my hands on some other book that I'd been waiting for for a long time and stopped, but it was good. Same with Dark Lord of Derkholm, but someday I will read them. Terry pratchett is fun. Anyone read Guards Guards?

I promise I will use no more fun funs
          "and really bad eggs.."POTC
          The Taiko Dodo and Mitten of Insanity
          Be happy life is good

Comment

I have read Guards! Guards!, yes... it's not my favourite Pratchett.

Last night, I read Eva Luna by Isabel allende. I loved it. It grabbed me the way City of the BEasts failed to do, and although i thought the second half, where it became so plot-driven, was not so good, I still really enjoyed it. I would reccomend it, but a warning fist: muchly adult content, not so much in a graphic but in a verbal sense. Uh... if you do read it, don't tell your parents I reccommended it, because that would be Bad. (More seriously: I don't have a problem with it, but i know some people do. So yeah, be aware that this has adult content.)

However, I wish I could read the... is it Spanish? That is, i think, the language she rights in... it had this slightly distant quality that I suspect is not a part of her writing, because the words themselves are so warm, but might come from the translation... I've actually found that translating the odd phrase into French,m which is not at all similar but is at least a different language, changes it a little. *shrugs* But maybe that's jsut me, and it is a feature of her writing.

--Agent M

Comment

I did not understand the last half of that

Be happy life is good
              Be happy life is good

Comment

Well, I'm up to Soul Music. I think it's the first one where Pratchett does two story groups at once: the guards and Death. I nearly died laughing when the band's asked to play "The Cavern." I know someone who plays in a band who needs a copy of this book.

Taking a break from Discworld to reread The Forgotten Beasts of Eld. I think it's been more than 20 years since the first time I read it. Good shtuff.
                New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

Soul Music! Music jokes! Lead Balloon... The Whom... "Would you rather be famous, or be outshone by some felonious monk?" Ahahah... *goes to find a coopy to laugh at all the band jokes...

Mind you, in Jingo they have that brilliant "Call me Al" joke...

--Agent M

Comment

Soul music was where I first encountered the odd english tendency to leave off the word 'it.' Example: 'The band with rocks in.'

Band with rocks in IT. IN IT! What's going on here!

--Dai Stihó

Bishie
                    'Mancer
                    Foam Poet
                    "It was a bad line and a prank call, someone spouting insane babble; I couldn't make sense of it. But I had an overwhelmeing sense of deja vu, and the caller's voice sounded oddly familiar."

Comment

• Is that English? I don't think that's English. Is that English?
                      it never bothered me, I must confess... seemed more, well styly. Heheee... *has just read Soul Music again* Trollz! Yes! "You can't take it with you!" "Then you got the wrong undertaker!" Sto helit Lace... Good Gracious Miss Molly... Pathway to Paradise...
                      *is on a music joke high*

--Agent M

Comment

• LIbrary, must find library card. But it's in a box. LIke everything I own. No Terry Pratchett at school library, but no library card. aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh! All I have to read is The Hound of the Baskervilles (which is good, but I'm not in that kind of a mood. I need humor) and I can't get anything else until we unpack. Oh, and to explain everything I just said... I'M MOVING TOMMOROW! Monty Python has funny songs. "We'd sing, siing, sing, I"m a lumberjack and I'm okay, I sleep all night and I work all day" Sorry, I'm listening to that song right now.

Be happy life is good
                        Be happy life is good

Comment

• You're moving? Are you nervous? You sound pretty happy... or something... about it but...

--Agent M

Comment

• Steadily working through Pratchett still. Have read Interesting Times, Feet of Clay and Maskerade. Starting in on The Last Continent, now. Damnit. I was right. He gets better as you go. Now I have to buy all of them, instead of just borrowing them from the library. Poot.

Comment

• Dang. Yeah, he's good to own.

Ah, the Last Continent... are you up to Vegemite yet?

You may be interested in knowing that, for the most part, The LAst Continent is fact, not fiction. Take it from me, I only live three hours away from them (by plane. Do you know, it's shorter to fly from NZ to Aussie than to fly from one side of Aussie to the other??)

--Agent M

Comment

• *innocently shows off her autographed copy of Soul Music * Yeah, not signed in my presence, though, unfortunately. Purchased off the Web in quite nice condition. RIght now I'm waiting for Monstrous Regiment at the library.

-Tabby
                                the princess with claws

Comment

Working...
                                X