No announcement yet.

Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah, HP is not that good. I only got into them because my third grade teacher was AMAZING with voices. But I'll get the last because my sister likes them and I will want to finish it due to extreme boredom. As far as I know, none of my favorite authors have anything coming out soon, which is a drag.
    I really need some good reads at the moment. Does anyone have any amazing suggestions? Cause I'll be getting B-day money in a few days and plan to splurge on books, books, and more books.
    "You're so funny. Sometimes, I wish I was a little elf, so I could ride around on your shoulder all day and laugh at you." - my mom. (Yes, she honestly told me that. *rolls eyes*)

Comment

• barnes and Nobles is soooooooooo expensive. It drives me nuts. I got a fifty doller certificate to there, and I'll only be able to gat about six to ten books. Why couldn't I just have gotten cash? I could then have gone to a used book store and gotten fifty books!
      I can create a world, out of letters and words. I can make you believe something in a paragraph. I can make you love someone in a page. I can make you go places that don't exist in a book. That's all the magic I need. [url]http://melpomene.freeforums

Comment

• Because while buying a book used costs less, it also means the author doesn't see a penny of profit from it? Yes, it's a pain, but buying books new can be a good thing: the author actually gets a royalty from that first sale.

You could stretch pennies farther by taking any books you didn't like and trading them in at the used bookstore for trade credit.

Small note, Rubywolf: your sig's too long by one line. The max length is six lines, including separators and blank lines. Not a big deal.
        New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

• true. Royalties are important. But what percentage of a book price at barnes and nobles goes into the author's pocket and what percentage goes into the owner of barnes and nobles? I would like to know. does anyone know?
          I can create a world, out of letters and words. I can make you believe something in a paragraph. I can make you love someone in a page. I can make you go places that don't exist in a book. That's all the magic I need. [url]http://melpomene.freeforums

Comment

• rubywolf: true. Royalties are important. But what percentage of a book price at barnes and nobles goes into the author's pocket and what percentage goes into the owner of barnes and nobles? I would like to know. does anyone know?
            no...and you guys are starting to make me feel ashamed that i get almost all my books from library...*erects shield from stabbings* it's not my fault! i don't get an allowence! and dad usually won't buy me a book if i can get it from here...
            I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.
            For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

• Hey, the library bought the book--that copy gave the author royalties.

Most authors also don't mind if you buy their books used--they're happier to be read than not, and they know that someone who buys the book used is likely to buy the next one new, because they won't be able to wait. You shouldn't have to pay just to try the book to see if you like it.
              New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

• we love libraries. Libraries are awesome. i get tons of books from the libraries. I've been reading up on Chihuahuas. I never knew all that stuff about my little ball of fluff. She's a little mama's girl. Chihuahuas are supposed to be very smart. I must have gotten one of the stupid kinds.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rubywolf:
                  true. Royalties are important. But what percentage of a book price at barnes and nobles goes into the author's pocket and what percentage goes into the owner of barnes and nobles? I would like to know. does anyone know?
                  I don't know what it is now, but I vaguely remember that Terry Pratchett (probably) was getting 8p per copy from a £4.99 paperback and 15p from a hardback at whatever price they went for.

But that just seems so small an amount compared with the retail price.

The UK has a fee that libraries pay every time a book is borrowed, and apparently the amount Pratchett received from that one year was enough to buy one or two chocolate bars.
                  Just the FAQs, ma'am: Chat, Board and Books.

Comment

• I neve belived that it was that low. I always expected that they got around the 25-40% mark. I mean now it makes sense why DD is not a very happy millionairess! all the effort it takes to write a book and the pulisher comes off the best, Unless your Tolken or JK , its a shame the church did'ant copy write the bible they would of made enough money to buy a loaf of break by now kidding.
                    Fox
                    God its hard to keep up with everything here!!

Memember of The STTF (Save the topic foundation).

Comment

• Errr... just to play devil's advocate.... DD just has to pay her own bills and her agent's fee. She doesn't have to spend money for employees, editors, office space rent & utilities, storage, losses on other books that don't sell, production costs, registering ISBNs, returned unsold books, shipping, or ads (from the publisher's end).

While a publisher or retailer's chunk may be larger, their expenses are also a lot larger. If you didn't know the book was out, you wouldn't buy it. If it wasn't a store shelf, you wouldn't see it. And all that costs money.

But yeah, DD should be richer than she is. Another reason movie options can be good things.

Comment

• It still isn't fair that authors get so little money. All artists are paid ittle for their work. You may mention that paintings go for hundreds, sometimes thousands, of dollars. However, paintings take a long time to make, paints are VERY expensive, you need a lot of paint to make a large painting, galleries charge a very high percentage, canvases are expensive, brushes are sometimes up to eighty dollars, etc. the bills start to add up, and the artist, whether an author or apainter, is forced to pop out products like some sorta robot.

Comment

• I just checked the '2006 Novel & Short Story Writer's Market' to see what Harcourt pays. They didn't list their royalties . . . but Harpercollins Children's did. They probably pay about the same, right? Harpercollins pay 10 - 12 1/2% royalty on retail price, so that's about what DD probably gets. That's better than a lot of authors, but it still doesn't add up to much. Yeah, OK, the YW books have sold over a million copies, but the royalties for that have been stretched out over nearly 25 years. In summary if (when) the SYWTBAW movie comes out, let's all go see it at least twice each

Comment

• *sighs* this is to be an auther, you need a second job...i mean, a LOT of the best authers are actually lawyers and docters as well! only the really BIG authers can manage to get by on just writing alone.
                            I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.
                            For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

• So, I've been working my way through Jasper Fforde's "Thursday Next" series and having fun with it, but I think I'll continue to borrow these from the library rather than buy my own copies. I'm not sure I'm going to be rereading these any time soon. I just finished The Big Over Easy.

What's interesting is the shift to Jack Spratt and the NCD, but still treating the fictional world as if it's both inside AND outside of books. I'm getting a little confused. It might be a while before I pick up The Fourth Bear. The books are really funny, though.

I also stopped by my local sf/f store and picked up a bunch of new books. Apparently China Mieville has written a YA book (!!) Un Lun Dun, Nix's Lady Friday is out, and Louise Marley's written another Nevya book, Singer in the Snow. Riches.

And just for a laugh, here's Nix making fun of big long epic fantasies. (It's just a joke!)

Comment

• I really wanted to buy Lady Friday the last time I was in a bookstore...but its hardcover and a little on the expensive side. Ah well. I shall have to wait.

The Thursday Next books are, as far as I can tell having read only the first two, rather entertaining but definitely not re-read material. I can't figure out why, but...yeah.

I Am The (Semi-Original) Roshaun Fan. Yay for Prince Unlikely!

Comment

Working...
                                X