No announcement yet.

Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you can locate any of the (out of print?) collections of short stories written by Zena Henderson, I think you might find them enjoyable. "The People -- No Different Flesh", for example. "The Ingathering" was the complete collection. They're about people who just can't fit in very well among humans because of their phychic abilities.

The idea of plaiting moonlight has always fascinated me...

Selden
    Selden

Comment

Sounds a little like The Chrysalids, by John Wyndham... Ohh! John Wyndham! Have I mentioned he's good? Try The Day of the Triffids or Chocky or The Kraken Wakes. (Or The Chyrsalids.) Yeah, he's good...
      T

"We are philosophical geniuses [sic] who will one day rule the world!"
      --Agent M
      Ahahahaha, Ahahahaha, Ahahahaha!
      Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

Wow, haven't read most of the authors mentioned, I really want to try Terry P., though. Right now I'm reading Jane Eyre, but I don't suggest that (Its for a school project)
        Ummmm, If your looking for a long book and not a never-ending-series try A College of Magics by Caroline Stevermer, don't worry, it's not a Harry Potter copy cat. I have no idea what else she wrote though. If you loved Sabriel by Garth Nix, you'll love that. Anouther book that's REALLY good is Crown Duel and/or (they come sepreate or together) Court Duel by Sherwood Smith. I've mentioned these before, but they are really good, especially when your favorite author(s) aren't comeing out with new books for a while. It's deffinetly adventure. I can compare it to Tamora Pierce, again this is the one book I've read of this person. Anyway's, I'll be on the look out for the authors you guys have mentioned. Ohhhhhhh yeah some author's you should try: Jenny Caroll (now Meg Cabot),D.J. MacHale(WARNING could be very lonng series), Orson Scott Card (scifiish),N.M. Brown!!!!!
        READ The Da Vinci Codeby Dan somethingorother, I thought it would be boring, but it is like a mystery, trust me, it'll keep you guessing for hours and hours.
        Anyways, long post, but had to give some of my favorite authors some props (at least the ones I haven't mentioned yet...there are tons of Forums with book titles) I have to spread the love (or at least the great books) to my friends, or at least penpals (kinda) lol
        Have a great Weekend

" Duct tape, the stuff that holds the universe together."A Wizard Alone by Diane Duane
        - Serena

Comment

Honestly, I wasn't ready for Dunnett until I was 30. And you need a serious amount of brain power and time to get through The Lymond Chronicles and even MORE to get through the House of Niccolò. But if you do get into it, it's cherce. I must've lost a good week's worth of sleep and a handful of meals the first time I read Lymond. I was continually staying up until 3 or 4 in the morning to finish.
          New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

*icky parts ahead!*
            My latest obsession has been true crime books. Not the ones about Charlie Manson or other nasty fellows, but the ones that deal with forensic science. It's a little gross, but the science of finding out whodunnit and how is fascinating. Right now, I have a couple of new library books on my desk. Dr. Henry Lee, one of the originators of forensics, has a new book out about DNA testing of evidence, and there's another on my desk about The Body Farm, a place in Tennessee where scientists put corpses in various situations to find out how they decompose. Sounds nasty, but necessary. Sometimes you need to find out what really happens when you leave a body in a duffel bag in the deep woods for 6 months. I am also reading a graphic novel about a serial killer in Depression-era Cleveland. It was based on the case that put an end to Eliot Ness' ("Untouchables") illustrious career as a G-man -- the case was never satisfactorily solved.

"Thus is Balance maintained." A Wizard of Earthsea
            "Condensing fact from the vapor of nuance." Neal Stephenson, Snow Crash
            "Thus is Balance maintained." A Wizard of Earthsea
            "Condensing fact from the vapor of nuance." Neal Stephenson, Snow Crash

Comment

... I really liked Jane Eyre when I read it...
              NM Browne is definitely good, ditto card...

"We are philosophical geniuses [sic] who will one day rule the world!"
              --Agent M
              Ahahahaha, Ahahahaha, Ahahahaha!
              Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

hey, you read Jane Eyre? me too. I read it last year, and I thought it was pretty good. So is pride and prejeduce. but a really good book is Angela's Ashes.

"It was my turn to save you, that's all. Now I want a few weeks off..."

it's not dying for a friend that's hard...no, what's hard is finding a friend worth dying for.
                Call me Q :-)

you never know who your real friends are until the hard times come. When it isn't all happy laughs and fun. sometimes your old friends will rough it & stay. but usuall they tend to fade away. If they fade, do not fear, bcuz better fr

Comment

Hmm, Orson Scott Card is a strange beast. I absolutely loved Xenocide, and could not get through Children of the Mind or very much of, if any of the Alvin Maker series. Absolute fav. Card book: Treason. Look it up. Worth a reread or two.

--Dai Stihó

Bishie
                  'Mancer
                  Foam Poet
                  "It was a bad line and a prank call, someone spouting insane babble; I couldn't make sense of it. But I had an overwhelmeing sense of deja vu, and the caller's voice sounded oddly familiar."

Comment

i'm on Xenocide right now. i love the series. It's amazing. who here has read ayn rand? she is an awesome writer, her books are absolutely great. she wrote Atlas Shrugged and Fountainhead.

you never know who your real friends are until the hard times come. When it isn't all happy laughs and fun. sometimes your old friends will rough it & stay. but usuall they tend to fade away. If they fade, do not fear, bcuz better friends are always near.

you never know who your real friends are until the hard times come. When it isn't all happy laughs and fun. sometimes your old friends will rough it & stay. but usuall they tend to fade away. If they fade, do not fear, bcuz better fr

Comment

kli6: Well, I was about seven or eight when I first found Redwall. And most of the stuff I wrote back then featured animals of a distinctly humanoid character.
                      Re Jane Eyre: I really didn't like it; I found her personality a bit...unreal. But maybe that's just me. Actually, that's probably just me--most of my friends liked her.
                      Re Rand: I've got those on order from my library.

"That's right," he said. "We're philosophers. We think, therefore we am."
                      -- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)
                      *Look kindly upon the decaffienated one*
                      http://pub15.ezboard.com/ftimeheartf...opicID=3.topic
                      My art place thing - http://paperdragoness.deviantart.com
                      OK, so ten out of ten for style, but minus several million for good thinking, yeah?
                      --Douglas Adams, HHGG

Comment

well, I though the best of Card was definitely Ender's Game- I don't know if I'm going to be reading on into the saga though. Maybe I'll pick up Ender's Shadow one day.

Philip Pullman is ALWAYS worth a read and reread, particularly the His Dark Materials. Did you know the "Lyra's Oxford" is out now? Short, but it ought to be sweet.

Garth Nix is always wonderful. Though I disagree with the person who said that if I loved "Sabriel," I'd like "A College Of Magics." To be honest, I abosolutely HATED "A College of Magics." But I absolutely LOVE "Sabriel."

I'm finding Austen's Pride and Prejudice a little bit difficult to read through, to be honest... It's sort of boring me. Maybe I'm just not cut out for romance books. I don't think it's the situation where I don't understand what's going on- I understand perfectly what is happening in the novel. But somehow, it's just not keeping me that entertained.

Kitsune Rei~In love and hating it~

Comment

Oh, I read Ender's Game! I loved it! I never followed up on that though...I should.
                          Re P&P: Hmm...I couldn't put it down. Where are you?

"That's right," he said. "We're philosophers. We think, therefore we am."
                          -- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)
                          *Look kindly upon the decaffienated one*
                          http://pub15.ezboard.com/ftimeheartf...opicID=3.topic
                          My art place thing - http://paperdragoness.deviantart.com
                          OK, so ten out of ten for style, but minus several million for good thinking, yeah?
                          --Douglas Adams, HHGG

Comment

Be careful with Ender's Shadow. I heard it wasn't too good. But Shadow of the Hegemon was very good when I read it.

NIX: Squeeeee! I've got a whole soundtrack for the Sabriel Series. SOOOO good! 'Specially Lirael and Abhorsen. Shade's Children was just weird. Really, really weird. And good. Really REally good.

--Dai Stihó

Bishie
                            'Mancer
                            Foam Poet
                            "It was a bad line and a prank call, someone spouting insane babble; I couldn't make sense of it. But I had an overwhelmeing sense of deja vu, and the caller's voice sounded oddly familiar."

Comment

Right now, I'm reading Battle Royale, by Koushun Takami.

I'm kinda stunned at the moment though. But if you know the plot of Battle Royale (which I am soon going to outline), you'll guess why.

Battle Royale- In a Japan headed by "The Dictator," every year, there is a Program. Fifty classes of Third Year Junior High students (grade 10) are chosen to participate. The students of every class are forced to kill each other. One class there is 40 students. And only one student from every class can survive.

I'm one tenth of the way through the book- and the death toll is 2 students, 1 teacher, 2 others injured. And I think what's stunning me is the detail... The teacher lost his head. It was blown off with a gunshot. Exploded. Brains and stuff went everywhere. One student died the same way. The other one got a knife in the head... *weird giggle*

Just imagine if that was your class of you read it, you'll understand why I'm kinda stunned.

Kitsune Rei~In love and hating it~

Comment

did i see something that said "Lyra's Oxford"!? what's it about, do you know? i cherish the dark materials series that i own. i had no idea he was making a book that stems from HDM

you never know who your real friends are until the hard times come. When it isn't all happy laughs and fun. sometimes your old friends will rough it & stay. but usuall they tend to fade away. If they fade, do not fear, bcuz better friends are always near.

Comment

Working...
                                X