Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the first line on the 46th page of the book closest you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Also, I met a very nice little old cannibal mutant lady."
    - Case File: Slavery Investigation on Port Tortuga
    (Not a published book, this is the "investigation journal" for Vanya Ysadora, a private investigator character in our tabletop roleplaying group, the campaign being set in a galaxy far, far away.)

For the nearest published work, I'd need to take a few steps away from my desk; and that'd be Service of the Sword, an anthology of "Honorverse" stories by David Weber, John Ringo, Eric Flint, Jane Lindskold, and Timothy Zahn. However, the book is currently in use by my husband, so I can't recall where p. 46 starts.
    I lurk. A lot. Don't mind me: I simply do not have much of interest to say. I've been here since two computers ago - oh, somewhere before 2001, for certain. But I'm so quiet, I'm generally unmemorable!

Comment

Hmmm... I'm in a different room now, so... *looks around*
      Okay, here!!

"You do not have the information that your mother ship has available to it."
      From the book my mom is reading: Gary Zukav's Soul Stories.
      in my field of paper flowers

Comment

The closest physically would be King's Dragon , by Kate Elliot: "And saw, on the path, a tiny blood-red rose. It glittered like a jewel, but when he reached to pick it up, its petals were as soft as the first flower of spring. He shifted his grip, and a thorn pricked his skin, drawing a welling bulb of blood."
        (OK, that's three sentances, but they make such a vivid mental picture...)

The one I'm currently (re-)reading, and so was on the couch instead of close to the computer desk, is Dune , by Frank Herbert. It's been about ten years since I last read the series, and the recent showing of the mini-series Children of Dune on the SciFi channel inspired me to read it again to see if their version matched better than the Kyle McLachlan / Patrick Stewart movie from the late '80s. Ironically, for a series that's so much about "the Desert Planet", the first (complete) line on page 46 is: "He looked up at the skylight, on which the rain was drumming."

And for Rissa, whose copy of The Service of the Sword was in use when she posted: "An idle mind is the devil's playground , he thought, swallowing a wry grin lest their humorless guide think he was mocking the train system."

p.s.: Brittany , are you sure it isn't supposed to be page forty-two ? Surely this is a somewhat Douglas Adams type of exercise....

"Is the glass half full or empty, I ask her as I fill it; she said it doesn't really matter, pretty soon you're bound to spill it" Indigo Girls
        "Is the glass half full or empty, I ask her as I fill it; she said it doesn't really matter, pretty soon you're bound to spill it" Indigo Girls

Comment

Oh! This is a fun topic. And I've stacks of books near the computer- let me grab a few...

"After the waiter's gone, I fork up half my sirloin steak and go to cram it all in my mouth, and Denny says 'Dude.' He says, 'Don't do it, here.'"
          --Choke, by Chuck Palahniuk

"She lay there miserable and lost, clutching the blankets round her."
          --Seaward, by Susan Cooper

"Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz was not a pleasant sight, even for other Vogons."
          --The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, by Douglas Adams

it's so easy to laugh at yourself when all those jokes have already been written...
          who're you fooling if the fools are right?

[This message was edited by evenstar on 19 April 2003 at 7:41.]
          it's so easy to laugh at yourself when all those jokes have already been written...

Comment

*snickers* My Principal used 42 in an assembly. The sad thing is, she didn't actually understand it, so she used it badly. I wanted to correct her (but didn't. I'm not that dumb)but hey, at least she used it...
            ka Kite
            Tui

Tuibird in Aotearoa
            Conservationist, Scientist, and proud of both!
            Chocolate lover extraordinaire...
            Ahahahaha, ahahahahaha, ahahahaha...
            My mission: Bringing Maori to the world!
            ON HOLIDAY! Wooo!
            Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

Comment

Well, Rysade, the reason I had King's Dragon out on my desk is that I like to re-read all the books in a series when I get the newest volume. The fifth volume, The Gathering Storm, came out in February, and not only does the Author's Note say "The sixth and final volume will be titled 'Crown of Stars'," it's clear from the way it ends that we're getting close to a conclusion.
                She must get asked about it a lot, because there are a couple of places on her website, http://www.sff.net/people/kate.elliott/ where she says the same thing.

Comment

heh heh, this is my mom's computer and she is a cooking/baking freak so the closest book is"The Breakfast Book". OK, skip that one and you have Fire and Hemlock by Diana Wynne Jones. AdviceON'T read it. The line is:"With best wishes to my assistant trainee-hero, Thomas G.Lynn." Why is tht important?

Perry the fantasy freak

Comment

Originally posted by Rysade:
                    Oh my gosh, Evenstar, you like Chuck Palahniuk?
                    That guy is GREAT!
                    Suburban warfare isn't the right prase, but it's the first phrase that comes to mind.
                    See also: Fight Club.
                    See also: Lullabye.
                    Suburban warfare is PERFECT. it fits just right. and yes, I like Palahniuk. very much so indeed.

"There were three in the meadow by the brook"
                    --from 'The Code' by Robert Frost

">>Beruhige du dich jetzt mal, Helwig,<< sagte dann der Direktor selbst, den der Schulwart sofort vom Familienmittagstisch geholt hatte..."
                    --"Das siebte Kreuz" by Anna Seghers

Comment

Comment

"Silly question. That other one must be deaf..." - So You Want To Be A Wizard, Diane Duane.

Funny..I just happened to be holding this book in my lap when I read this post.

-Sarah

"Do you talk to the computer often?"
                        ONLY WHEN THE REFRIGERATOR IS MAD AT ME.

N/K furever!

Comment

It's actually a chapter heading: "Decorative Beads".
                          "Thus is Balance maintained." A Wizard of Earthsea
                          "Condensing fact from the vapor of nuance." Neal Stephenson, Snow Crash

Comment

Haha, what a good idea. Saddly My book is last year's Science book.
                            The Sciences an Integrated Approach page 46 line 1: Reasoning: We must find the acceleration, then use
                            Pretty sad huh.

-IV-
                            Ipha
                            -IV-
                            Ipha
                            Dai Stihò

Comment

I'm in a a computer room... and so the nearest book is someone else's bedroom....sorry
                              "Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right" - Salvor Hadrin, in Isaac Asimov's Foundation

Comment

"If you think I look young in that picture with just my little sunsuit on & my little sneakers just think how many years ago that was for my Mom, actually wearing shorts and laughing in the sunsine like there's no problem."

Make Lemonade by Virginia Euwer Wolff

Comment

Working...
                                X