Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the first line on the 46th page of the book closest you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"If the witches liked it they would just spell it together." The Witch Trade.

Live Life to the fullest
    *Agent~M*
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
    "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
    "See everything, overlook a lot, correct a little." - Pope John Paul XXIII
    "I could live

Comment

"It would make better scientific sense to suppose there must have been known causes at work, particularly since one can "recollect that several problems in the former state of the the tides, once referred to violations in the ordinary conditions of our solar system, can now be explained without resorting to such expedients, and are, in fact, found to be the consequences of known and regular causes" (Lyelly 1881, 2:6)."
      ~~The Darwinian Revolution; Science Red in Tooth and Claw
      by Michael Ruse

Comment

As soon as she decided that the back bedroom was needed for some other purpose, Death and Bedwell, who had missed each other in the South China Sea, could finally keep their rendezvous in the Thames.
        -The Ruby in the Smoke by Philip Pullman
        the rest of the books nearest to me is mostly instruction manual and stragey guides for computer games.

Comment

I tried to do this a couple days ago, but page 46 in that particular book was *ahem* a bit inappropriate. So Idecided to hold off until I was back at the dorm and in a different room.

"The arrival of the stranger, Bamber, at Cilgwyn was the sole matter of discussion among all the badgers." From Aeron Clement's "The Cold Moons," an utterly brilliant book that I finally found a copy of this week after years of searching.

-Tabby
          the princess with claws

Comment

Hmm.. I have three books near me. Not counting my history textbook and my sister's old physics textbook (I'm doing a science research paper). Those are pretty boring.
            "Taggart made the stem of his glass whirl slowly between two fingers."
            -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
            "'And I think there is no doubt that once delivered from the usurper the entire nation will throw itself into the arms of its legitimate king,' she concluded, endeavoring to be amiable to the emigre and royalist."
            -Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
            "'The lesser rings were only essays in the craft before it was full-grown, and to the Elven-smiths they were but trifles- yet still to my mind dangerous for mortals.'"
            -JRR Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Comment

You're reading War and Peace!?
              How Many pages is it? please i need to know, How many pages!

Live Life to the fullest
              *Agent~M*
              "Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
              "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
              "See everything, overlook a lot, correct a little." - Pope John Paul XXIII
              "I could live

Comment

Caramon made a low, rumbling sound in his throat and moved from the window to stand behind his brother.
                -Dragons of Autumn Twilight
                Book 1 of the DragonLance Chronicles

*Ella*
                "You teach a child to read, and he or her will be able to pass a literacy test."
                --George W. Bush
                *Ella*
                "But the night rolls around, and it all starts making sense
                There is no right way or wrong way, you just have to live
                And so I do what I do, and at least I exist;
                What could mean more than this?"
                --Bright Eyes

Comment

War and Peace, at 1455 pages long, is the longest book I have ever read. Its kind of boring in the beginning, but gets better towards the end. I guess war is always exciting, for good or for evil.

Legolas' moves are smooth and elegant, like a cat....it's very balletic. It's also bloody hard to do without falling over!"
                  -Orlando Bloom

I am encouraged by the theatricality of Tolkien's readings -- full of humor and characterisation. Without question Gandalf is like Tolkien, but then so, I suspect, are Frodo and Aragorn.
                  -Sir Ian McKellen

Comment

In addition to HTTP 1.0's authentication mechanism, HTTP 1.1 includes digest authentication.

--Web Client Programming with Perl, Clinton Wong, O'reilly & Associates, Inc.

I'm at work and have no fiction handy

Comment

"Unfortunately, at about 3:45 p.m. of each wake, they would all start to act more like a bunch of rowdy kids than adults."
                      -- from The Definitive Guide to Underground Humor, edited by Edward Bergin. We get all typed of interesting stuff through here!
                      "Thus is Balance maintained." A Wizard of Earthsea
                      "Condensing fact from the vapor of nuance." Neal Stephenson, Snow Crash

Comment

Well, page 46 is blank (between chapters), page 47 is a timeline-type thing, which says: April 1-14, 460, near the Scanran border, and then page 38 is blank again, and page 49 says:
                        Long, Cold Road
                        It was well past dark when they reached their next stop, the village of Wolfwood.

Oh, my book is Lady Knight, by Tamora Pierce.

Comment

im doing my annual book shuffle around my house (parents EXTREMELY mad) and piles ofrandom books show up in every room of my house. so instead of a book on chemical engineering-i read the 46th page ish type thing but it made NO sense, in going to do the books in this room's random pile
                          ::ahem::
                          Mendanber smiled and pushed open the rear door of the audience chamber.-Searching For Dragons, Patricia C. Wrede

Next book im not really sure how it made it into the pile, its nonfiction, and i havent gotten around to shuffling them yet.
                          But when he told it to his fathers and to his brothers, his father rebuked him and said to him,"What kind of dream is this that you have had?"(qoutes continue, first sent. ending)- Genesis 37:10 the catholic youth bible

El guardian de las llaves. -chap title (4) hp #1 in spanish

These are wraiths and not women, Aeriel thought suddenly- the soulless and undying dead-The darkangel, Meredith Ann Pierce

With nimbness at odds with her appearance of extreme age and decreptitude, the drudge evaded the parting kick th Warder aimed in her direction.-Dragonflight, Anne Mc Caffery

this book is nonfiction too, but i read this for fun and put it on my fiction shelf
                          Once they reached Kinshasa, some members of WHO, led by Karl, remained in the capital, while Joel took charge of a smaller advance team that was to travel into the Yambuku area hundreds of miles to the north.-Level 4:Virus hunters of the CDC, Joe Mc Cormick and Susan Fisher-Hoch

The boat rocked in the great, cool darkness.- The farthest shore, Le Guin

Oh look! ANOTHER non fiction book! i need to reorganoze my books.... now
                          Equalize:Parity- analogy in Up your score: The underground guide to the SAT

After some moments it was opened by a middle-aged woman in black- Hercule Poirot's Casebook, Agatha Christie

And last but cartantly NOT least:
                          Mr. Weasley was looking around.- HP #4

hahahaha way to end the quotes.....
                          and Aislinn, what do you think of atlas shrugged?

so my school is doing Titanic this year, and i get to be benjamin guggenhiem's latest mistress, and last year i was mrs. potifar in joseph and the amazing technicolor dreamcoat....are we seeing an alarming trend here?????????
                          PM: Dai everyone, Caitlin is right
                          Follow the bouncing poot

Comment

early that little people must be hardy to survive among

Dan! Eric's playing the piano again! HELP!!!
                            -courtersy of the cast of JCS
                            Dan! Eric's playing the piano again! HELP!!!
                            -courtersy of the cast of JCS

Comment

Comment

The nearest book, first full sentence on page 46:

a <tab> COMPARE <tab> an
                                Before h, a is preferred if the h is voiced, as in a hotel, and an if it is not, as in an hour.

-- Bruce Ross-Larson, Edit yourself: a manual for everyone who works with words, 2nd edition (New York: W.W. Norton, 1996), ISBN 0-393-31326-3.

(Guess what I do for a living.)

The nearest fiction, first full sentence on page 46:

The Palace! They allowed him, a Karsite, to be within the same walls that enclosed the Palace?

Mercedes Lackey, Exile's honor: a novel of Valdemar (New York: Daw Books, 2002), ISBN 0-7564-0085-6.

The latter is a hardback and mine, so you can tell I like the author a lot. In this case, the book was a present from someone who knows me well . It was in the office with my unpacked work books from our last beach trip. (There's ice outside all over as I write this. I wish we were at the beach.)

I buy DD's books in hardback, and JK Rowling's as well, but most of the time my budget makes me wait for paperback publication or for the library to obtain its copy.

OK, back to work.

(Which today, consists of: Cleaning the office, buried after weeks of juggling several projects and tossing things aside to squeeze in the new printer. Waiting for responses from two current clients and two prospective ones, hoping at least one sends a check. Wondering if the lead I'm speaking with late this week might actually have an idea about a half- or three-quarter-time academic editing or research gig that actually includes health insurance. Last but not least, remembering that if I get another load of clothes done before my wife gets home, happiness may reign. And reminding myself L&O is on the videotape if I get all of this done early.)

- Pat

[This message was edited by Pat I. on 18 February 2003 at 13:16.]
                                "Caminante no hay camino. / Se hace camino al andar." (Walker, there is no road. You make the road by walking.) -- Antonio Machado
                                "A wild patience has taken me this far." -- Adrienne Rich

Comment

Working...
                                X