Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the first line on the 46th page of the book closest you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the first line on the 46th page of the book closest you?

I've done this at another forum I go to and it's a lot of fun, as well as a great way to find out what other people are reading and get ideas of something you could pick up come a rainy day.

It's not very hard, just grab the book nearest you and flip to the 46th page. If a sentance started on the bottom of the next page, you have the choice whether to use that sentance or use the first complete one. Be sure to include both the book's title and author!

(BTW: Ironically, both time I participated in the other forum, a DD book was closest to me- first Dilemma, then To Visit the Queen. No, I'm not obcessed...)

~*~
    A picture is not always work a thousand words. I would rather have the words and paint the pitcure with my mind.
    ~*~
    A picture is not always worth a thousand words. I would rather have the words and paint the pitcure with my mind.

"For the next half an hour I ate my head off." And that so does not reflect anything about the book, which, by the way, is "Love and Othr Excuses" by Jane Westaway. I got it for Christma, tho' I'd already read it- it's a good book.
    Merry Christmas!
    Tui

Tuibird in Aotearoa
    Conservationist, Scientist, and proud of both!
    Chocolate lover extraordinaire... mmmmyummmm
    IT'S SUMMER!! WOOHOO!
    My mission: Bringing Maori to the world!
    Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

Hmmm... not very exciting:

The three types also look like stacked triads: Major-Major-Major for the first; minor-minor-minor for the second; and Major-minor-Major as the next example illustrates:

Then there's diagrams of a piano keyboard showing C Maj 13(#11), C min 13 and C 13(#11). Good if you want to know about playing j*** piano, not much good otherwise.

(Edit - wow... I didn't know certain musical styles were censored on this forum! Let's try this out... Opera, Country, Classical, Rap, Heavy Metal, Pop Rock, J***, Folk, Reggae, Brass Band Marches)

The closest fiction I can find, however, is:

"Rambo Bloodaxe?" Rex crumpled in hilarity. "Don't wind me up."

Robert Rankin, Armaggedon - The Musical

Comment

Lesse:

"The sack of the village was a simple matter, hardly worth the telling. Yet hundreds of"

-Page 46 of the Warcraft: Orcs and Humans Booklet by Blizzard Entertainment

That's the VERY closest one. I was reading it to remind myself of the role Medivh played in the previous games, before Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos. The closest fiction (like Soup did) is Dickens:

"'Why don't you cry?' said she"

-Page 46 of Chatham River Press' compilation of Dicken's work. From Great Expectations.

I've Never read it, so I'll add another one to the list:

"'I can't see why, but then I only had time to skim the profile on the way over,' Lee said. 'There seemed to be some urgency "Upstairs"'"

-I'll give you a few guesses before I reveal what that's from. It was this year's christmas present. Since I haven't read it, I'll do one more, this time it will count all the way, and I can stop.

"Thornmallow even heard some say 'Frightfully *****ly,' which he decided to take as a compliment, though he wasn't entirely sure."

-Jane Yolen, Wizard's hall (paperback)

#include <daistiho.h>

That was incredibly fun!

Comment

hmm....this could be interesting. The closest book near me a comic book... A japanese translation...

"We cannot return home?"
          -Fuu-Rayearth by Clamp

The nearest actual book...

"The next most lovely thing was that Wart had no weight."
          -The Once and Future King, T.H.White

"If you can't find the key to happiness, pick the lock"

Comment

Heh. I know what book you're reading, Rysade!

The closest book to me, numbered page 46 (not the actual 46th page):

'adj. 1. of, like, or

No fiction within reach.

Inside every cynic there's an idealist desperately yearning to be let out, and when they are let out they're usually a real pain and cause all sorts of trouble. --Chris Boucher

Comment

My problem is that I have TOO much fiction within reach. I've got a small book case sitting next to my computer. Lets try this...

"She does," said Mother Hag, matter-of-factly. "She likes Mirabelle, Clothilde, and Veronica, too. And Baby Bernice."

All the Names of Baby Hag by Patricia MacLachlan from "Dragons & Dreams"

Rysade, I recognized that quote as well.

Lorain County Community College Network Gaming Association
              Hosting LAN parties on the 1st and 3rd Saturdays of every month, check out our website for details.
              http://www.lc3nga.net

[This message was edited by captin on 26 December 2002 at 8:43.]

Comment

This is pretty interesting, so I'll add my bit...

"For while thou wert in the heavensand with Ulmo built the clouds and poured out the rains, I lifted up the branched of great trees to recieve them, and some sang in Iluvatar amid the wind and the rain."

Whew. I guess I should have picked just the first line, eh??

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis ad capul tuum saxum immane mittam.

Comment

Hmm.. well i have 4 books next to me actually so ill use all of them.
                  came from the organ loft, where some repairs were going on; a servant was polishing the brass lectern.- The Golden Compass

Nita was puzzled. "It's the old word for emotions, sort of," Kit said. "Not like 'funny' humor."- Deep Wizardry

As soon as they had lift Barbarossa's shop, Riccio dragged Prosper into the pasticceria he had stared at so longingly before.- The Theif Lord.

chancing to look out a window. - A Wind in the Door.

Live Life to the fullest
                  *Agent~M*
                  "Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
                  "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
                  "See everything, overlook a lot, correct a little." - Pope John Paul XXIII
                  "I could live

Comment

hmm... Clairebeast, you're quote was from the Silmarillion, wasn't it? Well... looks like I have to do this again...

Leda was the wife of King Tyndareus of Sparta, and the usual story is that she bore two mortal children to him, Castor and Clytemenstra, Agamemnon's wife; and to Zeus, who visited her in the form of a swan, two others that were immortal, Castor and helen, the heroine of Troy.

-Mythology, Edith Hamilton.

"If you can't find the key to happiness, pick the lock"

Comment

Originally posted by Brittany:
                      It's not very hard, just grab the book nearest you and flip to the 46th page.
                      (BTW: Ironically, both time I participated in the other forum, a DD book was closest to me- first Dilemma, then To Visit the Queen. No, I'm not obcessed...)
                      "The meeting is not scheduled to begin for another twenty-five point six minutes, sir."

I'm not obsessed either, honest!
                      "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

Comment

Besides that, it was clear I would miss lunch - the kind of habit I deplore.
                        Last Act In Palmyra, by Lindsey Davis

Squash

By the way, whoever posted the all-purpose stick-up note...
                        Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinis alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes!
                        ...I have that book too!

Comment

"Me?" said the skipper indigmantly. "Hell, I can't see a submarine in the dark or under water any farther than the next man. All the credit is due to Sadie. She smells 'em. She hates 'em, too. - The Fantastic World War II

'Just as well you've got it out of the non-'cos hot little hands,' I said. - The Cassini Division

There is no other wisdom, and no other hope for us, but that we grow wise
                          - Surak of Vulcan

Comment

HA! I'll have to give you the first line on page 47, because 46 contains only a diagram (labeled "Figure 2.8: Embellished object structure").

From page 47:
                            Note that we can reverse the order of composition, putting the bordered composition into the Scroller instance.

"Design Patterns - Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software" by E. Gamma et al.

I'm doing this over lunch at work, so all the books close by are software development reference books.

Worlebird
                            ------------------------------------
                            At the beginning of the week, we sealed ten BSD programmers into a computer room with a single distribution of BSD Unix. Upon opening the room after seven days, we found all ten programmers dead, clutching each others' throats, and thirteen new flavors of BSD.
                            Worlebird
                            ------------------------------------
                            "We were once so close to heaven, Peter came out and gave us medals declaring us the nicest of the damned." - They Might be Giants

Comment

"1. Remove 4 tablespoons of fat from the roasting pan and reserve." - From "The Naria Cookbook" recipe for giblets

Nearest fiction:
                              "The place hadn't lost its power over him." - Enchantment, Orson Scott Card (Yay!)

Yours till the bed spreads,
                              Rowen Avalon
                              mysites/ravensiggys/constitutionality
                              Rowen Avalon

"I told you she was going to turn you into a soggy beermat. No one ever listens to me." - Jonny, AWAb (My fav moment!)
                              "IB helps you with stress management. It throws all this stress at you and says, 'Manage it!' Then you have your b

Comment

Working...
                              X