No announcement yet.

Television

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WARNING, MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS....(haha, I was about to write "nuts" instead of "spoilers...haha.)

Heroes- I've just started watching it. It's actually pretty good, just a little creepy. I mean, waking up and seeing yourself cut open in front of you...? Is that even possible? I mean, she'd beed dead for awhile, so her brain tissue would be damaged, and she was laid open to the bone...but I like how they have some unique perpectives. The Chinese business man, the cheerleader, the artist on crack. A bit quirky, yes...but it's a good series, with a very ominous touch to it.

Veronica Mars- I happen to love this show. The downside being; I wish she'd just pick one guy and stick with him, instead of switching so often...but yes, I love the show, especially Veronica's wry sense of humor. It's funny, and she's not your cliche (how do you get the accent mark?) blonde, thank God.

House- This is an amazing bit of showmaking. =) I love House himself--he's interesting and engaging, with a blunt way of speaking and a subborn attitude. Under his aloof demeanor, he's got a heart. And he is endlessly funny to boot. XD The patients and situations are also pretty cool; I end up actually LEARNING things, which is amazing while watching tv.

Everybody Hates Chris- This is pretty funny as well, but in a more slapstick type of humor, not as subtle as some other shows. The funniest parts, I think, include the narrarator Chris Rock speaking; his actual voice is hilarious. the acting may not be top notch, but considering how young some of the actors are, they've done a very good job .

Gilmore Girls- I know, I kno, everyone is always saying what an amazing show this is...and I do like it, but truthfully, I think the acting is sometimes a bit shoddy. No flaming! it's just that, when a particularly dramatic scene is going on, and one of the characters has a perpetually blank look on his/her face, it looks cardboard. But the overall plot is good, and I can see why someone would love it.

America's Next Top Model- I have to say, this show is more than a little disturbing. Tyra herself said, (and I won't quote because I can't remember it word for word,) that high fashion is really just brainwashing people to make them think something's hot. And the measures these girls will go to to become models is scary. I mean, some of the shoots are, admittedly, very cool (like posing on top of an elephant) but some are just plain weird. (like acting like freaks in a circus freak show.) And the girls are just plain mean to eachother a lot of the times. So if you like real-life drama and extremely fickle careers, I guess you'd love this.

-peri

Comment

• I am "ADDICTED" as my brother says, to WLIIA? Or in other words, 'Whose Line Is It Anyway?' I just love it, it's soooo funny! I'm definately getting the first DVD, I just have to find it... Also, when it's on, American Idol.
      -----------------------------------------------------------------
      Today I saw cancer, cigarettes and shortness of breath. This is why I walk to the ocean. Swim with sharks and jellyfish. I may never get this chance again. This is why if you want to

Comment

• I LOVE WHOSE LINE!!!!!!!!!! Is it even still on? Besides reruns that is? Colin is my love...my bald, old man love. JK.
        BTW-Does anyone know if the CW is doing reruns of Buffy? Cause they were on for like one night, and I haven't seen them since. It's annoying me. Not that I actually need them, I've got it all on DVD, but I'd like to know.
        The Taiko Dodo and Mitten of Insanity
        I promise not to funfun anymore
        Be happy cause life is good

Comment

• <span class="ev_code_blue">Originally posted by the_peridexis:
          WARNING, MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS....(haha, I was about to write "nuts" instead of "spoilers...haha.)</span>
          Just an eensy reminder that spoilers can always be whited out, if need be.

<span class="ev_code_blue">Heroes- I've just started watching it. It's actually pretty good, just a little creepy. I mean,</span> [spoiler: <span class="ev_code_white">waking up and seeing yourself cut open in front of you...? </span>] <span class="ev_code_blue">Is that even possible?</span>
          Myself, I noted that this week's episode was (finally) written by Bryan Fuller. The guy who came up with Dead Like Me and one third of the team behind Wonderfalls. This bit was undoubtedly his contribution to the fun and games.

<span class="ev_code_blue">...The Chinese business man,</span>
          Japanese. Hiro's Japanese. I love Hiro. Maybe it's because he's a comic book geek. And all that lovely lovely comic book art by Tim Sale is just making me all warm and glowy. It looks like real comics; not just some production designer's idea of a comic, frozen in the '50s, or some Todd McFarlane thing.

<span class="ev_code_blue">...House- This is an amazing bit of showmaking. =) I love House himself--he's interesting and engaging, with a blunt way of speaking and a subborn attitude.</span>
          My favorite thing about House is that it's simply Sherlock Holmes redressed in a new setting. Hugh Laurie makes the show. It's been hilarious watching both Justice and Shark attempt to do the House formula in a legal setting, and, well, mostly failing because there's only one Hugh. (sigh). No new House episodes until November.

But medically... er... I have a friend who's a pediatrician who can go on for 40 minutes straight about the medical misinformation in a single episode. You may want to take the "information" with a grain of salt. It's not written by doctors, after all.

Ok, what's really surprising me is how much fun Alex Graves is having with The Nine and how little a resemblance it bears to the lacklustre seasons of West Wing when he took over for Aaron Sorkin. And, sadly, on Studio 60, Sorkin's back to having to write every script himself, I noticed.

And Project Runway--Jeffrey won! my jaw hit the ground, as my friend and I were convinced it was going to be Uli. At any rate, it was a really great series, and I'm very happy that I now have one less show to keep up with.
          New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

• we watch top model in my house...personally, i don't really care for the show...the only reason i ever watched it is taht i wanted that crazy girl kicked off, and i wanted to be around to watch it when it happened...once it did, who cares?
            as for the being cut up part...i think that it's possible, since her body was probably alive the entire time, trying to repare damage, but being stopped by the stick even as it did so...if it never stopped, it would only have to continue afterwards...And *flames peri briefly, then reveals it was just a cardboard cut out* like i would actually flame you for that? *huggles breifly then runs off* school library comp rules!
            I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.
            For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

• what project runaway?
              the shows called runaway, the one i'm watching anyways...cw11 on sundays...and studio sixty rules...and hiro is the funniest one on hiro's...favorite character there
              "i have powers no ordinary mortal can dream of"
              "yes, you and spock."
              "yes...me and spock!"
              "use the death grip spock!"
              OH, and did you know the story line coems from the book more then human?>
              For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

• We don't watch much TV in my house, but what we do we watch a lot. Gilmore Girls, Stargate SG-1 (cancellation? No!) and Corner Gas. My dad and brother will watch SG-1 and Corner Gas with me, and my mom will watch Gilmore Girls. My mom always thinks I'm stupid laughing at Stargate, but there's some funny moments in there. Corner Gas is absoloutely hilarious.

Season 10 of Stargate SG-1 starts next week!
                ~~~~Dani~~~~

Comment

• GILMORE GIRLS RULE! Ok...just had to say that. so does boston legal. I know people who only really watch tv to see that show...WEird, but, hey, it's a great show...

Comment

• Originally posted by young reader:
                    what project runaway?
                    This one. It's a reality show competition for fashion designers. The prize is that they get to show a 12-piece collection at Bryant Park during Fashion Week.
                    ..and hiro is the funniest one on hiro's...favorite character there
                    Yup. Pretty much everybody feels that way. Most everybody else in that series moans and does a woe-is-me thing upon learning they have superpowers, while Hiro, like most of us watching the show, is just delighted.
                    OH, and did you know the story line coems from the book more then human?
                    I would have cited Stracyzinski's Rising Stars or Stephen King's The Stand. Yeah, the story's pretty old hat, but then there are no new stories. Just new ways of telling them.

As for Gilmore Girls how much of a hoot was it that Logan showed up as Logan's (fake) half-brother on Veronica Mars this week?

Also, I have to mention Battlestar Galactica is probably one of my fave shows right now. The fact that they tackled the issue of suicide bombings and being terrorists/freedom fighters under a repressive regime was outstanding. And it just goes to show that SF shows are always so much braver about presenting ideas than non-SF shows. Probably because network executives can only see things literally and not figuratively.

Also loving that Veronica Mars has worked the word "frac" into its dialogue. Although my favorite unexpected word in dialogue this week was definitely Torchwood and Captain Jack saying "retcon."

--- (added)
                    Ok, one more weird television mention. On PBS, there's a documentary showcase series called Independent Lens and normally I don't watch it. But this week's had Muppets. It was called The World According to Sesame Street and it was about the Sesame Street team going into Kosovo and Bangladesh and working to set up localized versions of the show in those countries. It also touched on the development of the South African version of the show. Totally worth watching if you can catch it.
                    New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

• I would have cited Stracyzinski's Rising Stars or Stephen King's The Stand. Yeah, the story's pretty old hat, but then there are no new stories. Just new ways of telling them
                      kli6 said:

I know the story lines an old thing, but it basically orriginates in more then human...supposedly. the guy got like dozens of awards for the book..at least two anyway.

kli6 said: As for Gilmore Girls how much of a hoot was it that Logan showed up as Logan's (fake) half-brother on Veronica Mars this week?
                      I loved that...and i also love them putting in frac.

Comment

• Ahaha Kli, I'd never take info from a tv show seriously. Here's what I meant; when I heard some "fact" or another (on the House, I mean)that sounded interesting, I checked up on it. When a few turned out to be true, I was surprised.

Hiro's Japanese. Yes. My bad. >.<

Oh dear. See, I have the annoying problem of falling in love with a show...and then forgetting the days and times it comes on. -_- I can't remember what time that Mars is on...or Heroes for that matter. My memory is like water sometimes; raging for awhile, but then just sliding by. XD

-peri

Comment

• I didn't know who Logan showed up as on Veronica Mars. That is funny. I really love Logan. Don't know why...
                          The writing this season of Gilmore Girls is really bad though. Amy Sherman Palladino and her husband left, and I think the show is really suffering because of it. It makes me sad. But I have season 6 on DVD borrowed from my friend right now. AAAAAAAh.

I just borrowed season 5 of Angel from someone and watched Smile Time with my parents...they almost died. "He's a wee little puppet man!"

Comment

• oh, someone here once said that justice and shark was trying to be a lawyer version of house...
                            well, from a review i heard, they're succeeding.
                            it said that it was doing for lawyers what house did for docters or something like that...
                            \just thought they might want to know.
                            and i can usually remember when my shows are on...
                            and if i don't, we have dvr. *cheers*

ah...smile time..>EVIIL! ANgel pupet was really funny...and gilmore girls is still good! and as for liking logan, at this point, i think just about everyone likes logan...finish the season!

Comment

• Yay! House is back. Lost is about to go bye-bye until February (Day Break takes its place for a while. I love that all the episode titles are "What if...?"s--and Medium's about to return with it). It's kind of funny that so many shows have tanked so quickly that they're bringing in the midseason replacements a month early.

Oh, and Tim Minear's Drive has been picked up. I am a happy camper.

Comment

• AH! Must finish season 6 of gilmore girls now...but seriously when Logan first showed up all my friends hated him with a fiery passion. Most of them still do actually. Ooh, now I'm all interested. I better go finish my homework.

Comment

Working...
                                X