No announcement yet.

Television

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Completely totally enthralled with a new series that I found on AMC of all places. It's called Hustle and it's actually heading into its third series in the UK, but we just got the first series here in the US. It's about a group of con artists: a kind of "Mission Impossible where the characters are grifters instead of spies"-premise.

I'm really enjoying it. It makes me laugh like a loon. The leader of the group, Mickey, is played by Adrian Lester, and his elderly mentor is played by Robert Vaughn (who, to us creaky oldsters, is known from The Man From U.N.C.L.E.). The show is a hoot, and AMC is being especially good and letterboxing it.

I'm really crossing my fingers that they end up picking up Life on Mars as well.
    New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

• Ooh, I saw the first episode of Life On Mars while I was in England for a few weeks around new years. It was really weird, in a gripping kind of way. Too bad I can't see anymore eps.

I also saw up until about the second to last episode of Lost, and then had to leave the country again *sigh*

Comment

• Well, at least Lost will probably be out on DVD and rentable sometime in the future. And given that, in the UK, both Spooks/MI-5 and Hustle are collected on DVD, I'd assume that Life on Mars will be, too.

Man, can't believe I forgot to post this. Dark Kingdom: Dragon King/Sword of Xanten/Ring of the Nibelungs thingie is airing on Sci-Fi Channel March 27th and 28th, 9pm. ("making of" special March 20 at 11:00/10:00c. Hmmm. Wonder if we'll see DD...)

DD has stated in chat that the full German uncut time was around 4 hours, so I'm a little worried, since Sci-Fi trims about 15 minutes per hour. Assuming they have 2x2hr slots, that means we're likely to be getting the UK 3-hour cut. (sigh).

Oh, and DOCTOR WHO is set to air Friday, March 17 at 9:00/8:00c.

Addendum:

OMG. The Beeb is adapting Pullman's Sally Lockhart series, with Billie Piper as Sally Lockhart. OMG!! (I'm weird. I like these books more than HDM.)
        New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

• mythbuster fan wrote:
          What's you Favorite tv show and why? I didn's see any topics like this around so...

Note to Mods...if there is a topic like this feel free to move this there or whatnot
          Just a small mod explanation--we can't merge threads together, or take the first post in a thread and move it into another. Anyhoo, I've deleted the other post and thread, since mythbusterfan gave me permission to scootch this one to where it should live.

Comment

• what do you mean you can't merge threads? I put up a topic on oath poetry, other then haikus, and someone certainly merged that with the oath haiku. it even said that you merged the topic, or something like that.
            I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.
            For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

• We can move individual posts, except for the first post in a topic/thread, which is what Kathy did (and said above). We can move whole topics between forums. But we can't merge them as such, or we'd be merging all the Nita/Kit, Nita/Ronan and Ages threads into just three big ones .

Kathy copied the text in your oath poetry first post, and then moved the rest of the posts. Then she deleted the topic, now consisting of just the first post. (Oh yes, we can delete topics, too. Ask Gryphon, who is paranoid about that happening.)
              Just the FAQs, ma'am: Chat, Board and Books.

Comment

• Yes, I got lucky that you double-posted that time. [grin]. I was able to keep your authorship of the post intact, which I wasn't able to do with mythbuster's post above.

PM: if only we could have one 'shippiness topic. One "I'm a newbie here!" topic... Ah... life would be so much simpler...

Back to TV.

I am now absolutely hooked on the Olympic curling coverage. Maybe it's just because I've never watched curling before. Maybe it's because our women's team has been at the bottom of the standings from the get-go. Maybe it's because I haven't shot a game of straight pool in forever; or I'm just wondering how you sweep that fast on one teflon-shoe on ice without falling on your butt. Whatever it is, I'm completely mesmerized. Anybody else watching it?

Also, once the Olympics are over--omg, the March midseason deluge begins. Gazillions of new shows are about to hit, and a lot of sleeping shows (like Alias) are about to wake up. And then, there's Doctor Who...

Comment

• My friend got obsessed with curling. It seems like the most useless sport in the world, but apparently it's addicting. Who knew?
                  The Taiko Dodo and Mitten of Insanity
                  I promise not to funfun anymore
                  Be happy cause life is good

Comment

• Curling is one of the only two sports I've ever been interested enough in to watch on television (the other was snooker, until it started taking over the BBC2 schedules for weeks on end).

That's even before the last Winter Olympics, when the UK womens' team won the curling event. (Apparently they're out of the running now for this one - aww. Still got the mens' team, though.)

My father still had one kid he took with him to watch at least one football game, though - my sister likes football. (Soccer, if you insist.)
                    Just the FAQs, ma'am: Chat, Board and Books.

Comment

• Curlingcurlingcurling is the sweetest sport in the winter Olympics! Lol, but it is. I've been watching it every time it comes on, and...it's really sad that I'm addicted to the sport.

What else do I watch on TV? Basketball. Survivor. Whatever's on at the time. I really like shows where you have to watch each week to know what's going on. I mean, I love Lost, and I wish I could watch it, but because I can't tape it, there's no way I can watch it. Every stupid show where you have to watch each week...gr. I'm sorry, that's just my problem with TV. Yep. What am I going to watch once the Olympics are over?

-seabiscuit, a.k.a. hungry

Comment

• the football... whats it called playofs? well anyways the commertials stunk!! i mean there were all the same. i look foward to those and they let me down majorly. i mean like wow

and also the olimpics are quite boring they should make them more intresting.
                        life sucks then u die

Comment

• Man, can't believe I forgot to post this. Dark Kingdom: Dragon King/Sword of Xanten/Ring of the Nibelungs thingie is airing on Sci-Fi Channel March 27th and 28th, 9pm. ("making of" special March 20 at 11:00/10:00c. Hmmm. Wonder if we'll see DD...)
                          I borrowed the DVD of this from the video store, but it was under yet another title. I just can't remember what it was at the moment. I'll edit it in when I can find out .

I've seen curling once, I think. Channel 7 (who is the channel with the rights to all the Olympic games, seems to think that we only like seeing things that Australia is competing in - or likely to actually have a chance in, so you can imagine how much we're actually getting. Its worse with the summer Olympics. Then we just get reruns of the swimming. It really bugs me, because I wanted to watch the fencing, and archery and all that sort of thing. Its really silly

hehe Kathy, while the US is getting the first new season of Doctor Who, other places are getting the second (hehe David Tennant *squee*). I hope Australia gets some of the merchandise that they're talking about. I want two of the 12" David Tennant dolls. One to keep in a box, and the other to play with XD, or maybe one of the little action figures, and one of the bigger dolls... I don't know. I'm a sucker for merchandise

How could they make the OlYmpics more interesting, Ariel? Different sports? Becuase theres tradition in the ones that are played/exhibited in the Olympics. Some of them have been part of the modern Olympics for over 100 years - similar things were even part of the competition back in Ancient Greece.

Comment

• PM: me, too! Snooker and curling. I guess we're just fascinated by Newtonian physics and objects bouncing off each other.

Cress: I think it appeals on two counts: 1) it's a finesse sport--just being strong or fast isn't going to help you as much as being accurate. And 2) the scoring and strategy are relatively involved and arcane (ok, not as bad as *cricket*, but ...). This makes it good for viewing.

seabiscuit: Survivor is not for me, but I get stuck watching The Amazing Race every single time. And the whole watch-it-every-week problem has pretty much been solved (for those with the rental/purchase bucks) by DVD collected season sets for tv shows.

Ariel, I agree to disagree with you about the Olympics. I always find them to be fascinating on two counts: you get to see all the sports that generally don't get much coverage in the US (where everything is [American] football or baseball, and less of everything else), and there's a tradition and a ceremony that goes on; as well as the international rivalry factor. One of the things I've loved about the curling competition is that everybody's speaking in different languages, yet everybody understands exactly what's going on.

alla--I'm well aware that Australia and Canada are a series ahead of us (as, of course, is the UK). [sigh]. Sci-fi channel took too long to get off its kiester. Still, this is the way of television--the BBC was something like two years behind us on Buffy. It's only fair it plays out in reverse the other direction. Plus, I have friends in Seattle who can get CBC on their cable...

Oh, and curling, while being a sport that's way-old, has only been part of the Olympics for the last two or three. Hence part of the interest--few folks have actually watched it played before.

Comment

• So, why didn't any of you UK Doctor Who fans let me know about Torchwood? Yay! Captain Jack gets his own series! And Wales doesn't have to pretend to be anything but Wales!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/4349120.stm

Comment

• A 2-hour special of 24 is on to-night!! Yesss!! I'm so jazzed!!

Ok, so actually, I missed the last two episodes because I lost interest while reading Count Your Sheep, but I redad through the archives and I'm ready to watch again. Yay!! *can't wait for his daughter to come back. * *is FAVVVV character!!*
                                just let your heart take over and sign with a flourish

Comment

Working...
                                X