X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by AlidaART:
    Haven't seen those Millenium episodes, but they're probably awesome
    Both episodes were in Season 2.

The Jose Chung episode was even wackier than the X-Files one. A complete hoot. Not necessarily worth buying a Millennium season set for, though, but possibly worth a netflix rental.

And "Somehow Satan Got Behind Me" was four demons gossiping together about how lousy business is (tempting souls to fall) in a donut shop. It doesn't get much better than that.

The absolute premiere fan website for Doctor Who is Outpost Gallifrey and there's a ton of behind the scenes stuff on the BBC Doctor Who page. Cybermen, here we come.
    New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

• Oh wow. Those do sound worth a Netflix. Demons, eh?

I've mosied around Outpost Gallifrey before, but it hasn't quite been the same as a true Dr. Who fix. Oh PBS, I wish you'd just keep playing them in the wee hours of the morning instead of being off-air entirely...

I Am The (Semi-Original) Roshaun Fan. Yay for Prince Unlikely!

Comment

• The one major problem of going through Millennium for those two episodes, however, is that you have to wade through all the "serial killer of the week" episodes (blech). And to be fair, you sort of have to watch at least one or two to get the "normal" feel of the show, before you get to see Darin Morgan do his supreme craziness thing on it, just as he did with alien abduction and weird science stuff on X-Files.
        New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

• BTW, for those of you who are also in the US, and haven't been able to join in with the Whovian disucssions on this board, rejoice.

Doctor Who is coming to DVD in the US. For Valentine's Day 2006.

Comment

• Yayness for Kathy! And for the rest of you USians I'm sure you'll love it

*drools over the box set* It is so totally COOL. Its massive, and in the shape of the Doctor's TARDIS XD. I want it, but I 1) don't have the money for it at the moment, as it is a little on the expensive side, and 2) don't have the space for it on my shelves. My Doctor Who collection already takes up two shelves, and would happily take up more, if I had the space

I only have one gripe with Doctor Who at the moment and that is that The Christmas Invasion isn't beening shown here at the moment... no David Tennant on Christmas day *sobs quietly*. I don't even know when its going to be shown here at all... much sadness.

Comment

• Excuse me, but I must

SQUEEEEEEEE DR WHO!!!

Ehm. Anyways, that said, I'm excited, but it's not the old ones, and I loved those Ah well. I bet the new doctor's pretty great too. But I really want some of the older ones on DVD or VHS, don't care which, but they don't seem to be available in the US of A. Dang.

Comment

• Ummmm... Alida, do a search in Amazon on "Doctor Who", not "Dr. Who". Older Doctor Who is definitely available on DVD in the USA. Science fiction tv shows and DVD are like a match made in heaven.

Comment

• Originally posted by kli6:
                  Ummmm... Alida, do a search in Amazon on "Doctor Who", not "Dr. Who". Older Doctor Who is definitely available on DVD in the USA. Science fiction tv shows and DVD are like a match made in heaven.
                  Especially when they can get the main characters together to do the commentary *wanders off to watch Earthshock*

The US even has more Doctor Who on DVD than the rest of the world. You guys have the Key to Time box set, which is currently only available as a region 1 set.

Also, Alida, if you're so inclined, check out eBay, or your local video store. I have been able to get 10 videos (non ex rental mind you - they were actaully from a collection belonging to a friend of the owner) for $5 each I also got a couple off ebay.

Comment

• Interesting. I've never seen it at any rental places, and I've got really good place near me. I always think that if it's not at Videoport, it mustn't be released yet But really, thanks so much for the tips, guys. I really got the strong impression that there just wasn't Dr. Who available around here. Interesting.

Many thanks.

Comment

• Originally posted by alla:
                      Yayness for Kathy! And for the rest of you USians I'm sure you'll love it...
                      Oh, no worries. I'm sure the only reason it's getting released in the US is because I ordered the dvd set from amazon.uk two weeks before they announced the US release. Always the way.

The Philips 642 dvd player can be hacked to be region free, and will do PAL -> NTSC conversion. I happily purchase UK dvds to view all the time (gotta throw in something else with all those Harry Potter orders to make the shipping worthwhile ). I also ordered Jerry Springer: The Opera for Christmas.

Comment

• Relatively old news, but...

John Spencer (Leo McGarrity on West Wing) just passed away a couple of days ago. Apologies if someone has already noted this.

"Thus is Balance maintained." A Wizard of Earthsea
                        "Condensing fact from the vapor of nuance." Neal Stephenson, Snow Crash

Comment

• A friend and I were speculating on how this was going to affect the storyline in the show, and also shaking our heads at the irony of Spencer dying from a heart attack, after his character had survived one.

He was one fine actor, and I'm glad that he got a prominent role like Leo on The West Wing that perfectly showcased his talent.

Comment

• Ok, so how many other people are sitting around watching Rankin-Bass stop-motion Christmas specials on tv? I can't help it. Every year, I end up watching at least two or three. They were probably my first exposure to Japanese animation, after all.

I even bought the $10 dvd of Year Without a Santa Claus, Nestor the Long-Eared Christmas Donkey and Rudolph's Shiny New Year. (Verrrrry pretty/clean transfer. They must've gone back to the original negatives.)

And I'm suddenly wondering what happened to the obscure ones, like The Leprechaun's Christmas Gold or The Story of the First Christmas Snow. I can't remember the last time the Here Comes Peter Cottontail Easter special aired. Or Rudolph & Frosty's Christmas in July. And (the rarest one), Mad Monster Party showing up for Halloween. I wonder what's happened to them...

...and whether the new CGI ones, like Island of Misfit Toys works as well for a new audience. They don't for me. Give me back the little Japanese puppets!

Comment

• More Doctor Who nattering. In case you haven't been able to see the new series with Christopher Eccleston and Billie Piper, Scifi has just announced that they're picking up the series, as an addition to Sci Fridays, this March.

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index...ory=0&id=34141

Bad news? Airing the series in March means that the DVD set's now been moved out from Valentine's Day to July.

Comment

• To add to the Dr.Who chatter and continue something I mentioned earlier...

a) SciFi? Really? Oh, excellent! So excited.

b) Remember how I said I was trouble finding old Dr. Who stuff? Well, I checked my local indie video store, and they had one VHS tape (the 1980s reunion "Five Doctors" special). I am getting rather frusterated. Gah. But the search shall go on.

Comment

Working...
                                X