Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the first few sentences on page 51 of the book nearest you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Awww...Kaila, I love that book. I'm re-reading it right now, but it's not next to me. What's next to me is...

Sec. Cit. Most noble Caesar! we'll revenge his death.
    Third Cit. O royal Caesar!
    -Shakespeare's Julius Caesar
    Yep...the Shakespeare dork has spoken.

By vales and sharp ravines in Lakedaimon, the travellers drove to Menelaos' mansion, and found him at a double wedding feast for son and daughter
    -The Odyssey
    I'm next to my bookshelf of books I had to read for school, so any book I grab is bound to have some weird random quotation on page 51. Don't really remember what they're talking about at this point in The Odyssey...and I even read the book, instead of using Sparknotes like the rest of the class did.

Comment

• "It was too far to return to dinner, and an allowance of cold meat and bread, in the same penurious proportion observed in our ordinary meals, was served round between the services."
      Jane Eyre, Charlotte Bronte

Comment

• I'm in my grandfather's computer room, and there are books literally coating the place, so let me see which is the closest...

"Bandstop LC filters (fig 1-33) eliminate a relatively broad range of frequencies while passing frequencues below F1 or above F2."

--Electronics Pocket Handbook
        Dif-tor heh smusma.

Comment

• yes it is

"Mildred, how would it be if, well, maybe, I quit my job awhile?"
          Fahrenheit 451, Ray Bradbury

i had to go quite a way to find a book. usually they're piled high beside me but we'll be having company soon and they all had to go bye-bye.
          -"Though speach be unlearn'd, The wisdom be earn'd,"
          Cairpre, the bard, The Lost Years of Merlin book 3
          http://inheritanceseries.freeforums....ce41240a2f1add

Comment

• Heh, this is the second closest book- the closest is written in Hebrew, and I don't have hebrew letters on this computer.

"[...lords used up their servants, and empty stools at the table.] If another slave appeared who wasn't on the roster, it was always assumed someone else ordered him bought or brought in from elsewhere on the property."

The Elvenbane, Andre Norton and Mercedes Lackey
            "If his grin was any wider the top of his head would have fallen off"
            -Terry Pratchett
            Candyman Jr, Master Procrastinator, Joe Green, Vashmata, Master of Technology

Comment

• "When nothing is an S, there certainly are no S that fail to be P and there are no S that are P; thus both the A and E sentences are true, from this hypothetical viewpoint. There is no logical conection now between A and E; knowing the truth or falsity of one of them does not enable us to tell the truth or falsity of the other."

And that is from The Elements of Logic, another one of my grandfather's books. He has so many books in here, it doesn't take very long to find one, it just takes some time to find one that is even vaguely understandable.
              Dif-tor heh smusma.

Comment

• -Artemis Fowl: The Opal Deception, by Eoin Colfer.
                And, second closest book:
                Frodo had a very trying time that afternoon. A false rumor that the whole household was being distributed free spread like wildfire; and before long the place was packed with people who had no business there, but could not be kept out.
                -The Lord of the Rings, Fellowship of the Ring. Do I honestly have to put the author on THAT?
                "Accomplishing the impossible means only the boss will add it to your regular duties." - Anonymous
                Nita, Kit, pay attention to that one!

Comment

• You have to lobby to be heard. Then you have to marshal experts on your side so you can convince the majority to support your claim over the one they have always supported. Finally, when you are in the majority, the burden of proof switches to the outsider who wants to challenge you with his or her unusual claim.

Why People Believe Weird Things by Michael Shermer. A very good book as an introduction to critical thinking.
                  "Thus is Balance maintained." A Wizard of Earthsea
                  "Condensing fact from the vapor of nuance." Neal Stephenson, Snow Crash

Comment

• -The Lord of the Rings, Fellowship of the Ring. Do I honestly have to put the author on THAT?
                    -Mousey

Kind of.... Some of us may not live in a country where the book was distributed, or some us simply may not know or remember the author....

Either way, I'll save you the trouble.... The author of The Lord of the Rings (and The Hobbitt. I don't remember if that's one B or 2...) is J.R.R. Tolkien.
                    "...Some of growing up is the knitting together of our cognitive webs, and some things take time and experience to make sense...." - Taran

Comment

• Either way, I'll save you the trouble.... The author of The Lord of the Rings (and The Hobbitt. I don't remember if that's one B or 2...) is J.R.R. Tolkien.
                      It's 2 "b"s nd 1 "t" (the hobbit)
                      if magazines count, it's "You don't need to wait for an obvious clue to make notes to yourself on a map-any time you find something interesting in an area you'll visit repeatedly, jot down some info."
                      Nintendo power for november 2007

if not, "...he'd kneel near the goal net and pray for several minutes. But at the start of one match, his prayers took so long that the kick-off began before he was ready."
                      Uncle John's
                      Bathroom reader
                      wonderfull
                      world of odd

by the bathroom readers' institute
                      "If his grin was any wider the top of his head would have fallen off"
                      -Terry Pratchett
                      Candyman Jr, Master Procrastinator, Joe Green, Vashmata, Master of Technology

Comment

• ...descendant: a person who is descended from another

devise: to grant real property by will; a gift of real property by will
                        The Amazing Story of the Tipton's in America by Sharon Taylor.
                        was the closest book
                        The Answer to life the universe and everything: CREW 42!!!!!!!!
                        DON'T PANIC!!!!! *two seconds later once the plan does not work* OK PANIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                        I have a spelling problem. SYWTBAW

Comment

• [Let's see. Dictionary? Not a book. SYWTBAW: well, we already know the quotes from that.]

"...the things a witch did was stand right on the edge, where the decisions had to be made. You made them so that others didn't have to, so that others could even pretend to themselves that there were no decisions to be made, no little secrets, that things just happened."

-Carpe Jugulum by Terry Pratchett

"...space occurs if all of an object's motion through time is diverted to motion through space. This occurs when all of its previous light-speed motion through time is diverted to light-speed motion through space. But having used up all of its motion through time, this is the fastest speed through space that the object- any object- can possibly achieve. This is analogous to our car being test-driven directly in the north-south direction. Just as the car will have no speed left for motion in the east-west dimension, something traveling at light speed through space will have no speed left for motion through time."

-The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene
                          (I cheated, I know. The next closest was "Write the following scales..." in Elementary Rudiments of Music.
                          -Tell me and I may remember; show me and I'll understand; involve me and I'll never forget. Thank you, PM. Your light lives on.

Comment

• ...saw the jewel-studed sword of honour presented to teh hero. Beowulf drank the cerimonial cup in the bangueting hall..

Beowulf is the closest to me for some odd reason, althought Garth Nix's ragwitch is close.
                            (\__/) "Be amazing"
                            (+'.'+)
                            (")_(")

Comment

• Gatsby's butler was suddenly standing beside us. "Miss Baker?" he inquired. "I beg your pardon, but Mr. Gatsby would like to speak to you alone."
                              --The Great Gatsbyby F. Scott Fitzgerald. Reading this for English. I find it quite interesting...

"Hello, Miss Doyle," he says, smiling at my soggy appearance. Melting snow drips from my hair onto my nose. "You look... well." I'm a fright. "Why didn't you respond to my note?" he asks. I feel foolish. And happy to see him. And wary.
                              --Rebel Angels by Libba Bray,
                              A really good book, the sequal to A Great and Terrible Beauty

I felt a chill tingle along my spine. "Remember how I decided that I wanted you to not ignore my birthday?" I asked quickly hoping it wasn't too clear that I was trying to distract him. "Yes," he agreed wary. "Well, I was thinking, since it's still my birthday, that I'd like you to kiss me again."
                              Do I have to say where that's from? Brownie points to whoever guesses first!
                              Time passes. Even when it seems impossible.
                              Even when each tick of the second hand aches like the pulse of blood behind a bruise.
                              It passes unevenly, in strange lurches and dragging lulls, but pass it does. Even for me.
                              Check out my video: LET GO

Comment

• some people don't read twilight.

"Due south of the R, on the edge of the constellation, is one of the brightest face-on spiral galaxies in the heavens, M83."
                                The Star Guide, Robin Kerod

i know weird. i don't even know why we have this book. no one in my house studied/studies astronomy.
                                -"Though speach be unlearn'd, The wisdom be earn'd,"
                                Cairpre, the bard, The Lost Years of Merlin book 3
                                http://inheritanceseries.freeforums....ce41240a2f1add

Comment

Working...
                                X