Young Wizards Movies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Someone's doing Howl's Moving Castle?
    Yet another reminder of why I love this site... ENWS. *goes to look for more information*

"We are philosophical geniuses [sic] who will one day rule the world!"
    --Agent M
    Ahahahaha, Ahahahaha, Ahahahaha!
    Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

Try nausicaa.net. And this isn't just someone. It's Hayao Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli, the guys who did My Neighbor Totoro, Laputa/Castle in the Sky, Kiki's Delivery Service, Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away, among others.
      New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

Okay... my other message seems to have been posted twice, and once with the typo I corrected and I can't deleat it. How very anoying.
        Also, I know Winnie the Pooh is just for kids, but I did love it when I small and can't stand what Disney did to it. Whenever anyone says how much they like it, I know that they are just refering to the T.V. series had never known what the wonderful books were like. This is probaly what would happen if YW was ever turned into a T.V. serise or movie.
        Avi, Harry Potter was terrible! Daniel whatever-his-surname-is-I-don't-care-anyway can't act to save himself and was supposed to look 'small and skinny' but instead looked like he had four square meals a day! And they got the whole look of the Harry Potter world wrong as well.
        Going back to YW, I think brokencello is right, the Lone Power would turn out to be cheesy rather than evil. Also, a lot would be changed, and most likly some plot that isn't even in the book, or not a major part, will be made much more important than its supposed to be. Much like the Arwen-Aargron bits in Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers.

Comment

Howl's Moving Castle? No way. I just was thinking of that. What about its sequel? Also--they're making All-American Girl into a movie, and PD2, for Meg Cabot fans. But in AAG, Raven from that dumb TV show is Sam! Isn't that terrible? I can't believe the misfortune of it all.

brokencello
          the crinkled paper bag
          "Life isn't like the movies, Toto."
          --Alfredo, Cinema Paradiso
          brokencello
          the crinkled paper bag
          "Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate." "But why is the rum gone?" --both from Captain Jack Sparrow, "Pirates"

Comment

Erm.... Kat, no offense meant, but perhaps you should scroll up a bit and read DD's own posts on the matter, if you haven't? You might be reassured. She's said rather emphatically both that she is interested in making movies or a TV series of YW and that if/when this comes to pass she will maintain control so that while there will be changes, they'll be her changes.

I also object to your assuming automatically that people who say they like Pooh haven't actually read the books, but that's off topic.

Comment

My little topic...now 35 replies *sniff* I remeber when he was only one post waiting to be replied to...

Webmaster of Marauders Magic.com (Harry Potter site)
              Webmaster of Schoolz Out.com

Comment

I think we can trust DD to make the YW books into good movies. A TV series might be OK as long as they don't turn it into a cartoon.

calliope- the greek muse of epic poetry and song

"I saw eternity the other night
                Like a great ring of pure and endless light
                All calm, as it was bright
                And round beneath it, Time, in hours, days, years,
                Driven by spheres
                Like a vast shadow moved, in which the world
                And all her train were hurled"
                H.Vaughan
                Metaphors be with you.

Comment

You know Holes turned out great and the screenwriter was the author

Comment

PK, I have read DD's post on the matter, but that dosn't stop me worrying. After all, important sections of the books could end up on the cutting room floor. Also I like books as books and don't want to see any made into films
                    Also, PK, I don't mean to sound rude but I go to a very big High School and there are huge number of so-called Winnie the Pooh 'fans' there and I don't a single one who like it for the books.

[This message was edited by Kat on 03 December 2003 at 11:44.]

[This message was edited by Kat on 03 December 2003 at 11:47.]

Comment

Different squids for different kids. I sometimes like seeing books translated into film or television and vice versa. And sometimes I don't. It depends on the story and who does the telling, and how it works.

There have been times I've SWORN that X could never be made into a decent movie. And sometimes I've been right (e.g., Possession) and sometimes I've been dead wrong (e.g., The Singing Detective).

But even a lousy movie adaptation can have benefits for a good book. Fewer people read books than go to see movies. Movies are just easier (and shorter) to get through. So, more people will watch a tv show or see a movie version of a story than would ever read it. And if the movie/tv story is popular, then the books get read as a side effect (think Tolkien).

Sure, it's annoying when the massively-different film becomes more famous and better known than the book (ala The Wizard of Oz), but it's not like the book is suddenly destroyed and whisked off every shelf where it lives.

Like it or not, filmmakers have always targeted books for adapation. And on the one hand you get The Maltese Falcon, Gone With the Wind, and 2001, and on the other you get Possession. But having a hard and fast rule of saying no book should ever be made into a film because it's a book is being a bit rigid.

I think that films/tv versions of books fulfill that "Telephone" effect that word-of-mouth translation of stories did. The same story in different hands becomes a different story. And sometimes that difference is worth seeing.
                      New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

Kat, it seemed to me that DD's post had made it clear that any adaptation of the series would be highly unlikely to omit sections that she considered important to show. And, after all, the books will still be there and it seems somewhat unlikely that anyone will force you to watch the adaptations.

I also like books as books and tend to be of the opinion that movies made out of them don't really count, but that doesn't prevent me from enjoying some of the movies as well.

And somehow, I'm rather startled that Winnie the Pooh in any version is that popular at your school. It's a great set of stories (and obviously I have read the books -- and yes, I mean the real ones rather than just the Golden Book versions, or I wouldn't have been in a position to object personally to your assumptions), to be sure, but not something I usually think of as inspiring a great deal of public passion at the high school level. By the way, are you talking about the old cartoons that were frequently quite faithful even to the wording of excerpts from the books as I recall them, or to the newer cartoons where the stories don't actually come from the original books? I vaguely remember some episode involving a land under Christopher Robin's bed and the use of soap as a weapon, but there are elements of it that may have inspired by Puff the Magic Dragon or may be the result of my imagination muddling the two in memory.

Comment

Just putting my 2 cents worth in.

I look at movies and TV series as another point of view on the same story. If you ask 5 people in a room what happened when the vase broke you will get 5 different answers but add everything up and you will find out what happened.
                          I think that any movie or series that DD has her hand in will be true to the story line if not to a certin story.

It would also be cool if it was a series and it was more of a new part to the story instead of a retailing of one of the older stories. (did that make sense?)
                          The same with a movie it be a new story and people would be driven to read the older stories to see how they got to that point.
                          Sort of what they did with Star Wars the first 3 movies was not the first 3 stories.

**Deja Moo**
                          Dia
                          Dai Stihó
                          **Deja Moo**
                          Dia :evillaugh:
                          Dai Stihó

Comment

Like it or not, filmmakers have always targeted books for adapation.
                            A true statement. hey, anti-movie people, let's jsut think like this: film makes have to resort to books. What, exactly, does this dmonstrate about the books? And/or the film makers? if these are good stories, people want to tell them, and lots of stories get told lots of different ways 9like the way there are different versions of Cinderella, etc) Lots of times this is really irritating (eg The Little Mermaid having a happy ending.... jeeze...) But hey... sometimes it ROCKS. (Like LOTR. If you don't like the adaptations, you at least have to admit that the books' consequent popularity is excellent. )

"We are philosophical geniuses [sic] who will one day rule the world!"
                            --Agent M
                            Ahahahaha, Ahahahaha, Ahahahaha!
                            Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

In the original Snow White, Snow White was squeezed to death by a corset...sad. And in the Little Mermaid she originally didn't fall in love w/ Eric, and then he was set to marry another girl. On his wedding's eve, her sisters sold their hair to Ursula who gave them a knife with which Ariel could kill Eric and return as mermaid to sea. She couldn't kill him so she went to the spirit world and became foam on thesea.

brokencello
                              the crinkled paper bag
                              "Life isn't like the movies, Toto."
                              --Alfredo, Cinema Paradiso
                              brokencello
                              the crinkled paper bag
                              "Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate." "But why is the rum gone?" --both from Captain Jack Sparrow, "Pirates"

Comment

PK, the Winnie the Pooh story about going under Christopher Robin's bed did exist. It's the only Disney Winnie the Pooh I ever saw. Why else do you think I hate it so much? Also, I know it is very strange that so many high school puplis like Winnie the Pooh in any form, but the amount of fans for any program for that age group is shockingly high

[This message was edited by Kat on 04 December 2003 at 10:58.]

Comment

Working...
                                X