The Topic of Great Randomness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Topic of Great Randomness

Welcome to the one, the only, Topic of Great Randomness, where it is the free will and right of the people to get off topic as much as they want! [cheering]
    Ahead, we may or may not see:
    • The reasons WHY we get off topic (probably not, unless you people want to help me out...)
    • Totally random nothing (probably)
    • More totally random nothing
    • All new types of totally random nothing
    • And much, much more!

So welcome to the Topic of Great Randomness, where it is the free will and right of the people to get off topic as much as they want!!

*Ella*
    She who is guilty of doing Darth Vader breathing into the phone to scare the telemarketers...
    "If you want to know about a man's character, find out what his cat thinks of him."
    -Anonymous

"All that is gold does not glitter,
    Not all those who wander are lost,
    The old that is strong does not wither,
    Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
    From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
    A light from the shadows shall spring,
    Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
    The crownless again shall be king."
    -J.R.R. Tolkien
    My fave poem from the whole LOTR (and there are certainly enough of them!).
    Last edited by Garrett Fitzgerald; December 2, 2008, 05:14:42 PM. Reason: fixing html
    *Ella*
    "But the night rolls around, and it all starts making sense
    There is no right way or wrong way, you just have to live
    And so I do what I do, and at least I exist;
    What could mean more than this?"
    --Bright Eyes

Re:depression. It's a very very hard thing to discuss because it *is* so personal for everyone who has the misfortune to truly experience it.

For me, being depressed is like standing in the middle of a field. All around me are pitfalls filled with sharp objects and other bad things. I have to get across and I can see where the sudden drops are, but there's no way to get around them. The only way to get past them is to fall into each one, and hope I can get back out again.

However, I believe that mine is chemical; it seems to have patterns to its appearances; it responds extremly well to medication; and "talk therapy" without said meds is pretty useless.

So yes depression exsists and yes if it interferes with your life for a long period of time **you need help.** That being said I agree with someone (Birdhead?) who said that the term depression is overused (And thusly medication is over prescribed But that's a whole 'nother rant.) I don't think our "have to have it now" society has much room for the people who need just a little more time to deal with matters. People are going to be upset after a major trauma; broken relationships will inflict emotional damage; and yes some people are just meant to be more "moody" than others. But we don't seem keen on allowing people time to heal. It's much easier to label someone depressed and wham! med them into oblivion.

And Aurora, been there, done that. Mine was driving like an absolute maniac and hoping an accident would take the decision out of my hands. Thank goodness that hasn't happened in a while. I truly hope it gets better for you.

*getting off her nonsensical soapbox*

Elizabeth

"You come in here, you die. Then you will be fired. RR"- from one of my new favorite fics, "What a Tangled Web We Weaver" by Merrymime.

"You come in here, you die. Then you will be fired. RR"- from one of my new favorite fics, "What a Tangled Web We Weaver" by Merrymime.

"Demon spawn but love the accent."- Birdhead, re: Ronan.

Comment

I said it, but Aurora meant it.
      *Sigh* I'm not very good with this stuff, am I? No.
      T

Tuibird in Aotearoa
      Conservationist, Scientist, and proud of both!
      Chocolate lover extraordinaire...
      Ahahahaha, ahahahahaha, ahahahaha...
      My mission: Bringing Maori to the world!
      Spelling Freak and Typo Queen
      Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

I'm never depressed. EVER. I think....

Evil will always lose.- Miep Gies
        *Agent~M*
        "Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
        "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
        "See everything, overlook a lot, correct a little." - Pope John Paul XXIII
        "I could live

Comment

I repeat- I don't consider myself depressed. I never have considered myself depressed. Sure, there were long periods- months on end- when I'd be very down about life, but I did not consider myself depressed, and I still do not.

Resident Otaku, Martial Artist, and Miko. Do not anger me-the consequences could be... dire.

Comment

*raises eyebrows* yet you went walking in freezing temperatures without a coat, not because of simple absent mindedness, more out of a sort of depression-generated apathy. Well. What can I say. Possibly that you are very healthy and also realistic.
            T
            trim sig-gf

Comment

YES, I DID. I was in one of those fits of feeling really, really down on life and hating everything. They come and they go.

But I can NOT say I have experienced depression.

Resident Otaku, Martial Artist, and Miko. Do not anger me-the consequences could be... dire.

Comment

Oops. I wasn't meaning to imply... whatever it was that I implied that you feel so vehement about. What I meant to say was people, especially teenagers,(myself definitely not excluded) are prone to exaggeration, self-pity, hypochondira, and such- with the result that, as you said, lots of people say they're depressed when perhaps they aren't really. I was remarking that it's unique and probably healthy that you don't.
                T

trim sig--gf

Comment

Oh, okay...

Define 'hypochondira' please- I knew the definition at one point... I just forgot it.

Comment

It's interesting that people describe the same feelings that I've had my whole life, ever since i was little and realized that I hated myself, I think that i was about seven. It comes and goes, I guess that it's pretty bad right now, considering the scars that are just fading on my shoulder, but fortunately I've never been suicidal, especially after last fall when one of my friends did hand herself, and I saw how awful it was to everyone who was left. But I still know that feeling of sometimes just wanting everything to end.

Comment

Hypochondria is when someone imagines that they're sick when they're really not; usually when they have a few mild symptoms and work it up into some big thing, such as my younger sister this morning. She had a bit of a cough and started wheezing and looking terribly sorry for herself... it's a very younger-sister kinda thing. And everyone, really...

Pointefeet- I'm so sorry about your friend.. that must have been extremely hard for you.
                      Ka Kite
                      Tui

trim sig -- gf

Comment

Oh mi gosh! SOOOOOOOO sorry for you PoiteFeet!!! I think I live in a very protected environment.

*Agent~M*
                        "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
                        "I could live

Comment

I think you do...

There are times when I hate myself. Then I ask myself, why do I hate myself? Then I realize its cos it seems that in my school, everyone is devoted to makiing me miserable. Once I find the cause, it's all "Why should I be ashamed of who I am?" yeah...

Comment

My deepest sympathies, PointeFeet. How do you pronounce that anyways, 'PointeFeet'?
                            ----
                            I hate parts of me, but I don't hate myself. I think that it's normal to not like certain stuff about you, but how can you hate ALL of yourself? Surely, there must be something good, something you like?

The Architect: Hope, it is the quintessential human delusion, simultaneously the source of your greatest strength, and your greatest weakness.
                            -The Matrix Reloaded, 2003

Graham Hess: So what you have to ask yourself is what kind of person are you: are you the kind that sees signs, sees miracles? Or do you believe that people just get lucky? Or, look at the question this way: Is it possible that there are no coincidences?
                            -Signs, 2002
                            combined posts--gf

Comment

Definitly. I hate a lot of things that I've done but never my whole self, but then again, I live a sheltered life.

*Agent~M*
                              "I could live

Comment

Working...
                              X