No announcement yet.

The Topic of Great Randomness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow, i just got back from Denver about two nights ago, and in Denver i fell in love with this wonderful bookstore called The Tattered Cover. They sell new and used books, so i decided to look for A wizard Abroad for my best friend, since he just finished HW and can't seem to find the fourth one anywhere. So i look for Duane on the shelves, couldn't find any, and asked a nice gentleman for help. Turns out, they were just one shelf down from where i was looking, so i got two hard-to-find DD YW books for $1:50!!!!! EPIC WIN!!! Then i went to a huge Borders store, and got two Tamora Pierce books! I never read any of her books so far, and i got the first two in the Immortal Series.
    Also, i am trying to write a book of my own. I had a few original ideas, but this one just seems to hit the spot. Its like the feeling you get when you see your food coming in a restaurant; a small tingle of joy Wish me luck!
    "Fear of the name only increases fear of the thing itself" Hermione Granger Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Comment

• well, the Tamora Pierce signing was a huge success! I went with my friend, and when we got there there were only about 20 people...it was awesome! TP read from one of her short stories, which was amazing, and I found out that she is going to write a guide of sorts to Tortall. Then, because nobody else was talking with her (except for her brother in law...), My friend and I sat down and talked with her for about half an hour. It was great! She signed 10 of my books, and my friend (who only brought 8) got her books signed too. She actually owns 24 TP books! I also met Holly Black, (Spiderwick Chronicles) who was great, and some horror author too. It was totally worth getting home at 2 in the morning!

Nita13579: Cool! the bookstore in my town is called Tattered Corners. I hope you like the Immortals books! I started with the Protector of the Small, and then mixed the Alanna and Immortals books...Daine is amazing(by the way, it's said dane, not di-an...i asked

by the way...did you know that TP has tattoos all up her arms and Holly Black asked her friend to lock her in the trunk of her car while doing errands as part of the research for her new book?
      All good books are alike in that they are truer than if they really happened. And after you are finished reading one you feel that all that happened to you and afterwards it all belongs to you: the good and the bad, the ecstasy, the remorse, and the sorrow, the people and the places, and how the weather was.

Comment

• I am having computer troubles. My up key and my O keys are now touch sensors, along with my H key that i have to hit five times to get it to work. *Sigh* I was also just thinking of how much more crowded the YW chat forums will get if the movie comes out. But it's a little sad because most of the people on then will have only known of the books through the movie, and won't be what i like to call, "Original Fans."
        I just got back from seeing Avatar: The Last Air bender with my best friend! (Who on the Yw chat forums is Kit13579) Katara made it! I love Katara! The movie was so much better then i thought it would be.

96Bookworms: Haha! That is so cool! I've always wanted to meet Holly Black.
        "Fear of the name only increases fear of the thing itself" Hermione Granger Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Comment

• Originally posted by nita13579 View Post
          I was also just thinking of how much more crowded the YW chat forums will get if the movie comes out. But it's a little sad because most of the people on then will have only known of the books through the movie, and won't be what i like to call, "Original Fans."
          Frankly, with a fandom as small as ours, I'd welcome any influx of new blood - not only will quite a few of them probably write their own fanfiction, but it would inspire those of us who already do to do more - and it would be much easier to make layouts/icons if we had more images on which to base them!

I really do think that the "original fan" vs. "new fan" attitude is a bit pretentious.
          Las Vegas Boulevard is jammed, and I'm in love...

Comment

• I don't mind new fans, and i do think that there will be a lot more opportunities if there were more people! It's just that i hope most people will like the books for the books and not just because it's a movie. Sometimes i will talk to people who have seen the movie but never heard of it as a book before. I don't mind that. I just hope that the majority of the people on will at least have heard of the books!
            And i'm not pretentious, trust me. I wouldn't mind calling myself an original fan, but that in no way would make me think that i am better than someone else. Were all only human, anyway! (Well, most of us.)

Comment

• Originally posted by Trialia View Post
              I really do think that the "original fan" vs. "new fan" attitude is a bit pretentious.
              Especially when there are those of us here who were reading the books before High Wizardry came out. :-) There are about 5 people here who get to pull that when I'm around. *grin*
              "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

Comment

• Changing the subject

The refrigerator in my hotel room is quite noisy. It makes little "plopping" sounds, almost like it was pumping water...coolant fluid? Kinda creepy. Odd. Oh, it just switched to the whiny humming sounds. I'm starting to think it's trying to communicate. In the Speech, maybe? My refrigerator never does that. Although it does make small-avalanche noises when the ice unfreezes/freezes in the icebox... *No, I'm pretty sure the hotel is not haunted. What are you thinking?* Refrigerator behavior cannot be that strange, even on the other side of the States.

I found an ancient, but well-preserved copy of The Wounded Sky, part of the Star Treks. 1983! 1983! I'm rereading it now. Yay east coast used bookstores! I'll be keeping an eye out for any others. There simply aren't enough used bookstores where I live; the pre-existing good ones keep closing down before I can make use of them.

Comment

• just found the best quote-thingy ever! I'll post it as soon as I can download it from my phone

and here goes...
                  Save the Earth! It's the only planet with chocolate!
                  and yes, I found that in a store, I didn't make it up...and about a minute later, I saw the DD books in the store as well! What a coincidence! Now I'm sitting in a public library (yay!) that doesn't have any DD or TP books! (not yay!)

I was at astronomy camp last weekwhich was AWESOME, by the way, the beach this week...not so awesome, 'cuz my cousins couldn't come but my little sister got to invite a friend...meaning I get to hang out with my parents and my 85 yr old great aunt...and next week I'm staying with my aunt and uncle while my parents go to san diego for a conference...again not yay...

but hey, I did buy lots of books, a Life is Good shirt, and I might guilt my parents into buying more books for their poor book-deprived child
                  All good books are alike in that they are truer than if they really happened. And after you are finished reading one you feel that all that happened to you and afterwards it all belongs to you: the good and the bad, the ecstasy, the remorse, and the sorrow, the people and the places, and how the weather was.

Comment

• Chocolate is fantastic; I'm gnawin on some rather sound Twirls now.

What kind of books do you like? I complete the Percy Jackson series recently...mostly upon request...I was only supposed to read the first book but ended up enjoying it too much. Isn't that so kla when that happens?

Also, 'nother topic: anyone see any sound films lately?

Comment

• Holy cheese. Apparently I haven't been on since June 14... It hasn't felt like that long... Mind you, time goes weird in the summer, and at uni, for that matter.

Mona: I'm glad to hear you had fun in Greece. Europe and particularly England are places I would like to go to/return, so I'm glad you had a good time.

Lazy Leopard: Did you see the Magna Carta at Salisbury Cathedral? I went to England five years ago, and was at Salisbury Cathedral, but I didn't realise one of the original Magna Carta was there. When I found out about that, I was kicking myself for not going to see it.

Bookworms: I'm glad you're having fun volunteering, and I'm slightly jealous you have been playing an instrument for so long. I played the flute for a while, but didn't have the dedication to continue, so I admire people who have the perseverance to stick with playing.

Garrett: I hope rehearsals/performances are going well for you, and you are enjoying them!

Gwendi: Welcome back to the forums! I'm an anti-Twilighter too, 'cuz I hate Stephenie Meyer's writing style. I got a C- in a physics class, and I'm just glad it's over.

nita13579: Good luck with writing your book! Writing novels is semi-sketch for me, although I have written fanfic for Delilah and Julius (Canadian teenage spy cartoon which finished in 2008 and has fallen off the planet since) in the past. I can't think up plot lines and original characters to write a novel.

Ronan: Welcome to the forums, and I hope you enjoy your stay! I like most types of fiction, except horror, but I have a leaning towards mystery and romance with some fantasy mixed in. The most recent movie I've seen is Despicable Me, which is quite cute, and I would like to see Step Up 3D and Shrek 4 if it's still in theatres. I've also been watching a lot of Bones episodes and recently discovered the Big Bang Theory which is absolutely brilliant. Sheldon's deadpan is absolutely amazing to watch.

I hope everyone has been having fun on their travels. I went to my dad's for a week, and that was fun. I've been mostly working, so it hasn't been too exciting. I went shopping with my grandma, and found a couple new dresses, a pair of heels, and some sneakers which are absolutely cute. One of the zippers on the dresses needs to be replaced, but that's an easy fix. I have discovered I have a love of dresses, which is odd as I never wear anything other than jeans and t-shirts, but I can walk into a store, find five dresses, try them on and think, I don't know where I would ever wear this, but it is sooo cute!

I went to my city's summer fair this year, which is the first time I've been in at least five years. I didn't go on any rides, as I don't particularly trust them, but there are established amusement parks I can go to nearby if I want. I won a stuffed dog, named Mimi, a stuffed snow tiger, named Alexander, and a stuffed fish, named Fenton (my step-dad named all three). I also saw Ill Scarlet, and was going to see Default before it started to look like a storm. I had fun.

Has anyone else read Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand? I'm trying to read through it, but my impression of the theme so far is, "life sucks, and then you die, so why try?" so it makes it hard to read, plus the print is TINY.
                      I stand tall, proud, brave, straight, and strong.
                      Fairest and Fallen, greetings and defiance.
                      ~Book junkie~

Comment

• The Magna Carta in Salisbury Cathedral is definitely something worth seeing, even if it is behind a piece ofvery thick glass. The caligraphy is very fine, and it's arguably the best preserved example. I spent a while admiring it last year.
                        -- Rick.

Comment

• bookworm - Stick with Atlas Shrugged. The theme will end up being pretty much the opposite of what you're afraid it is. More like: Life is the most precious thing there is, and no one has the right to tell you what to do with yours, so do what you love and don't let anyone stop you.
                          Ardub
                          r:w)

Comment

• Hello again, everyone who remembers me!

I feel so very guilty. I neglected this forum utterly for a while, due to- well, family stuff, computer stuff, mild anime addiction, and life in general. And then when I could come back, I didn't, because I felt bad about letting so much time pass, and after that it was a vicious cycle.
                            But, enough of the excuses! I finally screwed up my courage and came back! Therefore, everyone I know gets a *glomp*. And the newbies get cookies and a straightjacket. (do we still do that?)

Yay. It's good to be back.

Where else on the Net can you get civilized conversation, after all?

And lazy leopard: You got to see the Magna Carta? That is so utterly awesome. *is jealous*

Comment

• Oh wow, my last post was pages ago.... I miss this thread. It's been so long since I've been on these forums... or any forums for that matter. My life has been an endless amount of facebook (addicted) and twitter (even more addicted) and television.

bookworm: I recently started to buy more dresses too! I was like you, jeans and t-shirt kind of gal but I've always admired summer dresses. My sister read Atlas Shrugged and she liked it.

silveredblue: Welcome back! Even though I just returned myself...

I feel so lost and out of the blue here...

How's everyone's summer been? When do school start for y'all? I go back to college August 30th to move in and classes start September 6th. It's weird because we always start classes on Labor Day. Our school doesn't cancel classes for holidays except for our breaks for Thanksgiving and Christmas.

I spent the beginning of my summer in NH working and hanging with my friends and now the last month of my summer is being spent in NC with my parents. I feel like college has aged me. I feel more inclined to be on my own now more than ever. It's weird living with my parents since I was on my own for so many months. Anyone else who is in college feel or felt the same way?

I recently got addicted to Degrassi: The Boiling Point. It's a good season so far.

Uhmm... I still haven't read the newest YW book A Wizard on Mars because I can't find a place that has it! It's frustrating.
                              Time passes. Even when it seems impossible.
                              Even when each tick of the second hand aches like the pulse of blood behind a bruise.
                              It passes unevenly, in strange lurches and dragging lulls, but pass it does. Even for me.
                              Check out my video: LET GO

Comment

• Well, the first weekend of The Mousetrap went well. :-) One more weekend, and we're done.

A few pictures over at http://www.facebook.com/SarekOfVulcan?v=photos for the Facebookers in our midst....
                                "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

Comment

Working...
                                X