No announcement yet.

The Topic of Great Randomness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ... I still haven't read the newest YW book A Wizard on Mars because I can't find a place that has it! It's frustrating.
    Oh no, that's not good! T.T Can you buy it online, or are you just waiting for the library to get it?

School started today...and I can't say whether I'm happy or sad. I mean, I like school, but I also like just being lazy, reading, writing novels and fanfiction...stuff I don't have a lot of time for during school. Oh well.

Garrett: Maybe I'm really behind and/or totally blind, but...The Mousetrap?

Comment

• Finally Home!!!

Yes! after 3 weeks and a grand total of...drum roll please... over 32 hours in the car, spread over the course of 3 weeks, and not counting the everyday time in the car...up to an hour a day...I am never getting in the car again!

On the upside, I got to visit lots of awesome libraries, and am now insanely jealous of them (our library has some "cash-flow problems") Best part though, was getting some of Tamora Pierce's Full Cast Audio Books...totally awesome! It was lots of fun! I saw a super-cool Hubble I-Max, and got a cool DVD about how they made the space center...I've now witnessed an astronaut eat a taco in space...surprisingly amusing

I just found out though, that my parakeet Clara did something to her foot while I was gone, and I'm kinda worried about her because she's really old...but I think she'll be O.K.

S.B: it does kinda stink that you have to start this early-our school doesn't start till Sept. 2nd, I think...

Garrett: that sounds like lots of fun!I can't wait for Sound of Music rehearsals to start...then again, I don't have my lines memorized, so maybe not Who are you playing again?
      All good books are alike in that they are truer than if they really happened. And after you are finished reading one you feel that all that happened to you and afterwards it all belongs to you: the good and the bad, the ecstasy, the remorse, and the sorrow, the people and the places, and how the weather was.

Comment

• Originally posted by SilveredBlue View Post
        Garrett: Maybe I'm really behind and/or totally blind, but...The Mousetrap?
        Agatha Christie's The Mousetrap, presented as part of the University of Maine School of Performing Arts Summer Music Theater Festival. (It's not a musical, just theater. :-))

Originally posted by 96bookworms View Post
        Garrett: that sounds like lots of fun!I can't wait for Sound of Music rehearsals to start...then again, I don't have my lines memorized, so maybe not Who are you playing again?
        The mysterious Mr. Paravicini. The unexpected guest. The guest whom you did not invite. The guest who arrived, from nowhere, out of the storm. It sounds quite dramatic, does it not? :-)
        "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

Comment

• Ah, okay, thanks! *blushes* And I call myself an Agatha Christie fan...

96bookworms: Ouch, 32 hours driving? Well, anyway, welcome back! I love the Full Cast Tamora Pierce books: have you listened to Melting Stones? It's one of my favorites. That and the Circle Opens quartet, which I am trying to get my sister to read. I know she'll like it once she starts, but it's difficult to get her to read a new series. (I got her into YW at last! But she's not as obssessed as I am.)

Hope your parakeet gets better.

Comment

• Originally posted by SilveredBlue View Post
            Hope your parakeet gets better.
            Must...

resist...

tasteless...

Python...

quotes........
            "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

Comment

• Garrett: ooohhhh...cool! Sounds like and awesome play!
              SB: Thanks about my parakeet, I'm takin her to the vet tomorrow...and yeah...I love the FCA! I've only read Wild Magic and Emperor Mage, because they were they were the only 2 in...I'm dieing to get my hands on Melting Stones, though, because it was Audio before it was a book...but my library doesn't have ANY!

Speaking of library, mine got DD's newest book yesterday, Omnitopia Dawn, and I'm just about to start it...can't wait! What makes it better is that 2 days ago I checked and it didn't show up 'cuz it hadn't been cataloged yet, and I was about to buy it yesterday...but I waited and now I get it for free!

P.S. ...Python quotes?...
              All good books are alike in that they are truer than if they really happened. And after you are finished reading one you feel that all that happened to you and afterwards it all belongs to you: the good and the bad, the ecstasy, the remorse, and the sorrow, the people and the places, and how the weather was.

Comment

• S.B: I could buy it online, but I'm a poor college student. I'm waiting for it to come out on paperback and hopefully it will be at the Barnes and Nobles at my school.

bookworm: 32 hours??? I would die... but then again, I'm doing a 20 hour drive back to NH to grab my stuff for my dorm and then another 7 hour drive the next day. I hope your parakeet is going to be okay!! That's so scary.

Garrett: Yay another play! Have fun!

I'm spending the last week with my parents here in NC and it's getting sad, because my mom keeps saying she'll miss me! I don't know if any of you have a relationship with your mom like I do, but she's my best friend, and it's hard to see her sad. Guess this is the part of growing up.
                Time passes. Even when it seems impossible.
                Even when each tick of the second hand aches like the pulse of blood behind a bruise.
                It passes unevenly, in strange lurches and dragging lulls, but pass it does. Even for me.
                Check out my video: LET GO

Comment

• I hate it when problems cause you to re-install your OS and it wipes out all of your passwords and sites and you have to rebuild everything! I don't even want to know when the last post I made on here was because I don't want to be reminded that it's been forever since I got a chance to get on and post anything.

Anyway... I'm just glad I could spend a few moments of my birthday here today... as my best fiend (intentional - she is the best fiend friend I have) says - it is the 13th anniversary of my 21st birthday.

Garrett - the play sounds fun... I miss theatre.

Anyway.... I'll be back a little later...
                  There is Always DEEP Shadow where there is MUCH Light!
                  "I will meet the terminally clueless today...idiots and those with hairballs for brains.... I do not have to be like them, even though I would dearly love to hit them hard enough to make the empty places between their ears echo..." Rhiow - TVTQ

Comment

• The girls registered for their new school today, since we moved out of the old district last winter (though me finished out the year where we were). They were kind of sad they were leaving their friends, but they cheered up after touring the school.

Among the reasons for that was the stack of Young Wizards books on display near the librarian's desk. :-)

Comment

• *dances* Iiiiiiiiii got a copy of Omnitopia Dawn in the post this morning. Yay! I'll take it to DWcon with me to read, and maybe I'll ask DD if she'll sign it for me *laughs* even though she's not an official guest this time. You never know! *grin*
                      Las Vegas Boulevard is jammed, and I'm in love...

Comment

• Must remember to take my copy of AWoM along to DWCon, on the off-chance that I'll have nough spare time to ask DD whether she'd be willing to sign it. Should probably find the photos I have of PeterM, and take them along too...
                        -- Rick.

Comment

• other books

I've read all the young wizard books multiple times. I loved them. i have a VERY hard time finding books i like so i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on books i should read. Normally i like books with female protagonists because i can relate more, but if a book comes highly recommended i am willing to give it a try. sorry if this is not the kind of thing I'm suppose to put here, I'm kinda new.
                          thanks

Comment

• Well you might want to check out Tamora Pierce all her books have female main characters. You might also want to check out Garth Nix's Sabriel trilogy. That's all I can really think of now..... other people might have more to add.
                            Dai.
                            elz
                            I think I'll go ennoble some waffles.
                            -Nita

Comment

• Suzanne Collins's books Hunger Games and Catching Fire; the next after that is Mockingjay, whenever it comes out. I don't know how old you are, but if you're ready for more mature romantic content than that, then try Graceling and Fire (though still in YA). They're both have feisty, survival-oriented heroines.

Because it's an old favorite, Crown Duel by Sherwood Smith.

Diana Wynne Jones writes great girl and boy characters, but of the girl protagonists there's Hexwood, Fire and Hemlock, and Howl's Moving Castle for starters, which aren't entrenched in the middle of a series. Mind you, I find the first two to be a little baffling, so start with Howl's Moving Castle.

With the exception of Dragonhaven, Robin McKinley has only written girl heroines. You'll like here style more is you appreciate DD's lengthy, more poetic passages and have the patience to stick them through.

I could recommend loads more, but you did a good job limiting by recommendations with "girl protagonists/heroines." They're also all fantasies. Hope you like them!

Comment

• Clover- I like the Blue is For Nightmares series by Laurie Stolarz. She's actually a local author in my region, but has published millions of books. There are five books. Last one is a graphic novel. She's also written other books like Project 17 and Deadly Little Secrets. I really like this author as much as I loved reading DD's work.

Stormwind- happy birthday!

Garrett- Having YW books on the desk is always a plus! Good luck to your girls!

Where is this DWcon everyone's talking about?
                                Time passes. Even when it seems impossible.
                                Even when each tick of the second hand aches like the pulse of blood behind a bruise.
                                It passes unevenly, in strange lurches and dragging lulls, but pass it does. Even for me.
                                Check out my video: LET GO

Comment

Working...
                                X