No announcement yet.

The Topic of Great Randomness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• illirium: I love used bookstores as well. I have found so many books that I have wanted but they're out of print in the regular bookstores or crazy expensive (like Catch-22 is $22 new, but I found it for $6 at a used bookstore. The covers are falling off now, and I have to tape it back together, but that's a different story.) I get a squee of excitement every time I find a cool book at a used bookstore.

trialia: *gently hugs* I hope the pain gets better.

bookworms: I hope you have fun with your summer! I'm a month and a half into mine, and it feels like just yesterday I was writing finals.

To continue with the getting injured stories: last Saturday my brother accidentally slammed my finger in the car door. It was throbbing for a while, and I had to put it in ice to make the swelling go down. I didn't know if my finger was broken or not (still don't, but it hasn't hurt since 5 pm last Saturday, so I'm assuming it's not broken), but I still went to my friend's grad banquet that night, whoo! I also have a big bruise on my arm that I have no clue where it came from.

I got a Hello Kitty plushie for my birthday from my brother, and three pairs of Hello Kitty socks from my sister. I squealed in excitement when I received them, even though I am a dignified *static noise* year old. I also got a dress, a skirt, and five tops. It was a good day of shopping.
    I stand tall, proud, brave, straight, and strong.
    Fairest and Fallen, greetings and defiance.
    ~Book junkie~

Comment

• 96bookworms - Whoo Bar Mitzvah's! I remember when I went to my friends' (they're twins) and ohmygosh it was soooo much fun. =D I did watch the USA v ENG game, but asked my (OMG NOW-BOYFRIEND) from England sooo many questions about it, since I'm not a soccer fan at all. Like Trialia, he has noooo interest in the world cup. Oy. (Although I'm liking it to the whole not-caring-if-it's-not-a-Philly-team this area seems to do if no "important" teams are in a playoff or whatsit.)

Trialia- Ohmygoshhh those HORNS! You must be completely ready to kill those people by now. It definitely ranks up there with the most annoying noises ever.

crazy_bookworm- Ouch, ouch, ouch! Throbbing pain is annoying. And.. teehee. That's a lot of Hello Kitty stuff! I can't say anything against anything, though, cuz my parents informed me they planned our vacation around the Star Trek convention I want to go to! Whooo!
      ..................~*Wolf*~..................
      AIM: CeliaWells8 / Twitter: Scifi_Nerd
      Won 2nd Place for Topic Of The Week 04, January, 2010!!!

Comment

• Tee hee... the topic seems to be about people getting hurt.
        Just today I got sunburn, hurt my shoulder, scrapped my knees, and may have twisted my ankle. I did all of this on school grounds. We had field day today, and we are making up snow days. I almost screamed when I saw the bouncy castle. They also had some kind of blow-up race course that you have to jump through, climb, and slide. ( Hence the ankle. I was racing the person next to me. ) It kills me to think we only have one and a half days left. It's like Chinese water torture... Also, a while ago I stepped on a stick while running, and got a somewhat big cut that you can still faintly see... I have no idea how I get hurt sometimes.

Crazy_bookworm: My friend is OBSESSED Hello Kitty, and would be soo jealous of you right now!
        Last edited by nita13579; June 14, 2010, 11:58:48 PM.
        "Fear of the name only increases fear of the thing itself" Hermione Granger Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Comment

• ARRGH school needs to be over. Now.
          Luckily it will be. Tomorrow. Last final. Science. Did I study? Naaah...
          Today was history and I think I did reasonably well. You know that awesome feeling when you have this huge exam coming up and you spend the night on the computer instead of studying and then you feel like an idiot right before the test, but then it's super easy and you feel awesome and laugh in the faces of people who studied for eighteen hours?
          It is an awesome feeling.
          And yes. I am the queen of both monosyllabic and run-on sentences. Luckily I have an awesome English teacher and she likes me anyway.
          I know the answer! The answer lies within the heart of all mankind! The answer is twelve? I think I'm in the wrong building.
          -- Charles Shulz

Comment

• It's hard for me to remember that last year this time I'd just finished my year of school, when this year I've already been done for a month. Happy summer break to those of you who are just now joining us!

So, i have this random bruise on my ankle and it hurts when I sit cross-legged. I have no idea how it got there. I don't know about anybody else, but it really bugs me when that happens.

I just got back from Greece!!! I was in Greece for a week and I was amazing. The only thing that I wish was different was the weather. It was in the 30s (Celcius) all week. There were even to days in the 40s. For me, that's nearly unbearable. The rest of the trip was great. We visited many historical sites and I learned so much history!!! I love history. We saw the Parthanon (in Athens), the ancient Olympic stadium, Corinth, Delphi, and a few other places. I ran the length of the Olympic stadium and it was longer than I thought. I am not a runner so, with the heat, I probably shouldn't have done it. Oh, well. It was tons of fun. Our tour guide aws excellent. I met some nice people in our tour group and plan to keep in touch with some of them. (We'll see how well that goes. I'm not known for my ablitiy to keep up correspondence, despite the fact that I like to write.)

Speaking of writing...my NaNoWriMo story is almost done, but I'm wondering if I'm going to be able to finish it in time for the free proof copy. I really want to but it seems like I still have so much to do. I'm contemplating maybe turning in the almost-but-not-quite-finished version, just so that I can have the copy. I asked one of my friends to draw a cover for my book. She just sent it to me and it turned out about 100 times better than I had imagined! This is another reason why I want to get the story done. I guess that I just have to keep working and hope for the best.

My sister is going abroad on a trip with a music group and she's going to be gone for 3 weeks. They are going to be giving concerts in Europe and touring in between. I want her to have a good time, but I'm a little bit jealous. Her trip sounds like it will be a lot of fun. On the other hand, I'm kinda excited for the time that she will be gone. Does that make me a bad person? I'm going to her farewell concert today - this is where they give the concert to their families (the same concert that they will be giving in Europe). I'm excited to hear what songs they are playing.
            Shoot for the moon. If you miss, at least you'll be among the stars. ~ Les Brown

Comment

• Wow I haven't been on for a long time. I hope everybody has had a good month or so since I was last on. On the subject of injury, I managed to get a sunburn that covers my shoulders, neck, arms, and legs while playing at an ultimate frisbee tournament over the weekend. My team got 4th out of 8 so not to bad considering it was our first time playing as a team.

I've been on summer break for a while now and have visited Britain where we traveled all over the place. We started in Edinburgh, then went to Ruthin, then Bath, next London, then Oxford and back to Edinburgh. It was a blast and we actually had good weather. The roads there are scary, they are too small and people drive way to fast.
              "These are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others."-Groucho Marx

"What is scientific fact? An oxymoron. Science does not deal in facts. It deals in hypotheses, which are never fully and finally correct."-Orson Scott Card

Comment

• Just spent a week driving round parts of the South West myself; two nights in Emsworth (near Portsmouth), then via Dorchester to Salisbury fo rtwo more, and from there to Sidmouth for two more, and finally to Bath for two more, before heading home. Finally finished reading AWoM first night in Bath. Odd how I read much more when I'm not at home. I'd half hoped I could spin it out 'til I got home, but I'd taken another book to read to, just in case...
                -- Rick.

Comment

• Well, it's been a while, but I honestly can't say that much has happened...I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing...

I volunteer at the library on Tuesdays, and over the summer on Thursdays too. I work in the children's section, and sometimes gets really busy! On Tuesdays they have a craft time, and today it involved paint...not a good thing when you have apprx. 90 kids ALL wanting to do theirs FIRST!! It was hectic, but fun at the same time. I have read sooooo many books in the last 2 weeks that it really isn't even funny any more...last I checked, I think I had 35 books checked out!! Then again, I don't have any plans for June, and July is jam-packed!

I have a piano camp in Boston the first week, then a day camp that some of the people at the college teach, which I've gone to since I was 3, and I now help out with...then, leaving the day camp a week early (it's a 3 week long camp)I have an amazing astronomy camp in New York (state) to go to the last week...Then I'm spending a week at the Jersey Shore with my relatives on my mom's side the first week in August...whew!

So I've been spending my time just relaxing and appreciating my leisure time, and reading more than I thought was humanly possible...
                  All good books are alike in that they are truer than if they really happened. And after you are finished reading one you feel that all that happened to you and afterwards it all belongs to you: the good and the bad, the ecstasy, the remorse, and the sorrow, the people and the places, and how the weather was.

Comment

• Yay! My favorite thread to post in!!
                    I will be leaving for Denver, Colorado, on the 6th of July, and staying for 12 days. So, really, I have to fly halfway across the country, and through an area that once you fly through, the plane is half dark, and then half light. There is a two hour time difference. I will be going to a Renaissance fair in a city near there, and dressing in a beautiful red gown. It is a little over $100. My mom and I are going to the flea market on Sunday, and anything of mine I sell, I get to keep the money. I have lots, since I'm going to re-decorate my room soon. Think I can make it? I sure hope so!
                    "Fear of the name only increases fear of the thing itself" Hermione Granger Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Comment

• Aaaaaaaah it's summer and I'm in South Carolina and it is FREAKIN AWESOME!!!
                      It's gorgeous here but super ridiculously hot. Today was our first cool day... down in the nineties, as opposed to like 110. I'm staying in an apartment with a bunch of my friends, we work at a day camp, and we have a pool and we had a car until we crashed, and the directors are SO nice and they buy us awesome food and tease us about our plants, and I've officially become addicted to Starbucks dopio espressos with a pump of caramel and a pump of toffeenut with milk over a grande cup of ice- blisssssss- and I am just deliriously happy and having an awesome summer.
                      Hope you guys are too.
                      I know the answer! The answer lies within the heart of all mankind! The answer is twelve? I think I'm in the wrong building.
                      -- Charles Shulz

Comment

• I'm on a road trip to the national parks of the southwest US, and was in a used book store in a small Utah town this afternoon. I heard a man in the next aisle say something to the people he was with that made me double-take: "In the second of these, they all turn into whales."

I laughed and called out to him that there can only be one book that matches *that* description! I went over to his aisle and saw he was holding (and buying) the omnibus edition Support Your Local Wizard.

It's the second time in a few days the series has come up in conversation - on a tour of caves at Great Basin National Park, the ranger mentioned that this was the filming location of an old B movie "the Wizard of Mars" which he said he'd heard was really terrible and should be avoided. I felt compelled to point out to the other tourgoers (mostly teens) that there's a new book out "A Wizard of Mars" that's unrelated to the old movie and that they shouldn't avoid.
                        Ardub
                        r:w)

Comment

• Ardub - That's so cool that you randomly ran into other people that have read the series. Outside of these forums, I have yet to meet anyone who's even heard of the books, much less has read them.

Yesterday, it was really nice out so I went for a bike ride. It's been nearly a year since I'd last been on my bike. I only rode for 15 miles and was tired by the end (it's very hilly). When I was done, I treated myself and went to the bookstore to buy a new release that I'm interested in.

I have succeeded!!! I finished and submitted my story! I am going to order one proof copy. I'm so excited to see my work in print. I'm so happy with how it turned out! And my friend did the artwork for the cover, which turned out 1000 times better than I had pictured in my head. I can't wait for November to write its sequel.
                          Shoot for the moon. If you miss, at least you'll be among the stars. ~ Les Brown

Comment

• A few days ago my Mom and I went to see Cirque du Soleil: OvO. It was AWESOME!!!! We were in the very front row. It was in a circus tent which was cool. The tent had AC which was good because it was like 98 degrees outside.
                            I got a really cool hat there... unfortunately the hat is a cold weather hat so I probably won't have any time to wear it until winter...
                            Yesterday mom and I went to a thrift store and I found this really cool jacket.. Its olive green and has bronze buttons/studs with lace on the shoulders, cuffs and neck.
                            Tomorrow my dad is taking me to Maine which will be fun; we are meeting my cousins up there. Unfortunately that means I won't see one of my friends till the end of the summer because he gets back from Spain tomorrow and leaves for Scotland the day I get back from Maine. Oh well.
                            And I have to get working on my summer reading.... I don't mind the reading, I just don't like the writing.
                            Dai ya'll,
                            elz
                            I think I'll go ennoble some waffles.
                            -Nita

Comment

• Elzefa: Oooh, Cirque du Soleil sounds fun! And thrift stores are amaazing. And cool, I've heard Maine is fun. My youth group recently went on a trip there, and helped a church put on a Vacation Bible School.

Ardub: I had something like that happen to me today. I went to a homeschool conference, and they had a book sale section that I stayed in for most of the day (my parents were selling some books). My sister brought me over to a table that was selling an almost brand new digest copy of SYWTBAW, and as I picked it up, a girl at the next table over grinned and gave me a thumbs up and said, "Good books! I love those books. I own all of them. Except the most recent one. Which I need to read. Awesome books!" (I invited her to the forums, but she just kind of shrugged.)

But yes. Book sale. I spent the day reading, because I found a nice copy of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. It's good so far, I'm about halfway through it.

And tomorrow I get a desk! On Craigslist there's a pretty roll top desk for a good price, and I need a desk that isn't taken up by computers and parts. I'm really excited about it. It means I have to move my children's book to under the window where my end table was, to make room, but all in all it'll be more organized and neater-looking. *is so happy*

And five relatives are coming on Wednesday. Five. Grandmother, grandfather, aunt, uncle, and babycousin. And they're all staying in our house. It's gonna be insane but fun.
                              Dif-tor heh smusma.

Comment

• I had dinner with George R.R. Martin. Me one happy fangirl.

I asked him if, once the Game of Thrones HBO/BBC series gets going, the actors were going to be affecting how he envisioned the characters, and he said, "That's a really good question." He thought about it for a bit, and then he mentioned that there was one actress they're in negotiations with right now (so, he couldn't mention which character or the actress's name), who, if she does get cast, is definitely going to be changing the character.
                                New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

Working...
                                X