No announcement yet.

The Topic of Great Randomness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nita: Running around with water balloons and dressed as ninjas sounds AWESOME. I hope you have fun with it and all the other things you plan on doing this summer.

Just in general reply to the talk about summer reading programs: I never really participated in them. I never went to the library between the ages of roughly 7 and 12, instead preferring to read and re-read books I bought (my Harry Potter books are so battered as proof of this). Although, when I did finally get a library card again, SYWTBAW and DW were two of the first books I took out. I'm glad you guys have fun participating in them, though.

Mona: Thank you! I've been out of school for a month, so there has been nothing better to do than watch episodes of Bones, read fanfics, and read actual novels besides working. I think it was a bit of overload, though, as I couldn't sleep settled after watching so many episodes in a row.

bookworms: Good luck with your exams, and it sucks about not being able to see Tamora Pierce. She was one of my favorite authors when I was younger, and I still think she's amazing, even though I haven't read her books in a while.

Wolf: It was me who went to Rocky Horror, and it was amazing! The movie itself is horrible, but it's the audience participation that's awesome. There was so much rice being thrown during the first wedding scene it was crazy. People also yelled lines at the screen when they thought it was appropriate. I yelled "spit it out!" during the "antici...pation" line during Sweet Transvestite. Seriously, there's no reason for a pause that long.

I threw rice, stuck a newspaper over my head, waved my cell phone back and forth as a light, snapped a rubber glove, threw a roll of toilet paper, threw a piece of toast, wore a party hat, and danced the Time Warp. The entire theater stood up to dance the Time Warp, which was amazing to see.

I thought the movie was supposed to start at midnight, but there was a costume contest before the movie actually started, with people dressing up as Transylvanians, Brad, Janet, Riff Raff, Magenta, Columbia, Eddie, Frank, and Rocky. There was also a guy who was dressed up as William Wallace, and tried to enter as a Transylvanian. He actually had nothing under his kilt, and the guy running the contest kind of gave him a rough time about participating. Not too many people had corsets on, which isn't surprising considering we had snow this past weekend, no joke, but there was some.

There were dummy actors in front of the screen acting out the movie as it happened, and the actor for Dr Scott for most of the movie was a dummy taped to a chair that they threw down the stairs leading up to the stage/screen sometimes as the scene required. Rocky was chased by Frank through the theater during Sword of Damocles, I think?

The actors requested afterward that people clean up in their personal space if possible, and after the lights came up, I saw why: there was stuff EVERYWHERE. It was crazy.

I finally got home and went to bed at 3 a.m., and went to work at 10 that morning after six hours of sleep. I was fine while I was working, after a slow start, but at 5 p.m., when I was done, I started to crash.

I demoed toilet paper at work today, which I enjoyed.

One of the theatres in my city isn't producing a Shakespeare play for the coming season, which is surprising. They're putting on Billy Bishop Goes to War, Intimate Apparel, August: Osage County, Hunchback, The Three Musketeers, and Little Women: The Musical. I'm interested in seeing Intimate Apparel, August: Osage County, Hunchback, and Little Women: The Musical, if only in wishful thinking and my dreams. Still, I want to at least try go see a couple.

Okay, it's now bedtime. Catch you all later!
    I stand tall, proud, brave, straight, and strong.
    Fairest and Fallen, greetings and defiance.
    ~Book junkie~

Comment

• bookworms: That's too bad about missing Tamora Pierce's booksignings. I've read some of her novels and enjoy them a lot. My favorite series is her Alanna series and reread them every once in a while. I have not yet read her newest addition to the Tortall legends.

wolf: I'm going to have to agree to disagree with you on this topic. I am pleased (I wouldn't go so far as to say happy) with the current situation with the Stanley Cup.

bookgirl: I'm also enjoying the ablity to free-read now that school is out. Unfortunately, I still have some work to do for my Study Abroad. I've still read a lot though.

crazy_bookworm: Be glad that your work starts at 10am. I need to get up at 5:30am for my job and get home around 6pm. There is a 45 minute drive to my work. My work day goes from 7-4 (but I usually leave around 5). I
      am an intern at the same place that my dad works and he leaves late almost every day. I get to leave early on Friday, though so I still don't work over 40 hours.

I wish I had 1 week to just relax and do nothing. I would be able to use that time to catch on my 'me stuff'. I've gone from one thing directly to the next without any relaxing time. And now, on top of work, my CreateSpace deadline is quickly approaching. I'm afraid that I'm not going to have time to finish editing my story. I really want to get this done in time this year, especially because I missed out on it last year. It just seems like there is so much to do in less than one month. Hopefully, I can do it.
      Shoot for the moon. If you miss, at least you'll be among the stars. ~ Les Brown

Comment

• Dai stiho! I'm new here and still new. Wa ha ha! Together the wizards of this great nation will make a greater nation!

Comment

• Welcome, Special Agent! I hope you enjoy it here!

To keep this from becoming a one-liner: My friend's grad is tomorrow and I'm excited. I have a short black dress for it, flats, and a silver shrug thing. I'm going to look GOOD.
          I stand tall, proud, brave, straight, and strong.
          Fairest and Fallen, greetings and defiance.
          ~Book junkie~

Comment

• Heya, special agent! ^_^ Wizards Unite!!

Sooooo this weekend my mom and I went up to New York to visit my cousins... when we got back home, the CVS sign told us there was a tornado watch!! Haaaaahahahahaa!

Oh by the way, Doctor Who fans... last time I checked, I have 21 episodes saved for when my parents go away and I am left to my own devices. So when you don't see me for three days or so... er... you know where I am. Right here. On my couch. With a remote and big dang glass of chocolate milk. And Doctor Who. =D

And PLEASE for the love of sanity has anyone heard anything about rescheduling the signing????????????? I LIVE TOO DARN CLOSE TO MISS OUT ON THIIIIISSSSS..... *whimpers* (for those of you who only *kind* of understand... I still haven't gotten the new book yet and am holding out for DD so I can buy it & get it signed all in one)
            ..................~*Wolf*~..................
            AIM: CeliaWells8 / Twitter: Scifi_Nerd
            Won 2nd Place for Topic Of The Week 04, January, 2010!!!

Comment

• I feel like there are a lot of posts. Maybe that is just me though, since I haven't been on for more than a minute for like two weeks. So much for a relaxing summer.
              I work for my dad at the mini golf we own, and I have been picking up as many hours as I can before our other employee (aka my brother) gets out of school and needs hours too. Plus, I have a car insurance I need to pay off. And new shoes to buy.

But I never really appreciated used bookstores up until recently. I thought Barnes and Nobles had spoiled me, and no one else could ever win my heart. Well they have. My best friend and I went on a used bookstore search, and went to all of the ones in the immediate area. I made out like a bandit. I can not stress the greatness of small bookstores, and their superiority. Maybe not in selection, but in price and service. Now my "to read" list is like a page and a half long. It is a wonderful thing.
              I'm slowly working my way down the list, and was happy to add two books in particular : A Wizard of Earthsea (I've heard great things about it) and A Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy (ditto).

And Wolf: I don't exactly know where the thread is, but I seem to remember reading that there were two options for the book signing's reschedule-ment. One was at the end of summer, and one was shortly into the school year. Anyone else remember anything more specific?

And a blanket congrats to anyone who is graduating or has graduated. Anything. Middle school, high school, college. Congrats to all.

Comment

• Wow... I haven't posted in this thread for a while. You are very right, illiriam, this thread has the most posts I have ever seen!!!! Let's see if we can keep it going!!
                Where am I you ask? School. I'm surprised that it lets me on here. Most of the good sites are blocked.... Yeah... the teachers let us on the computers. Bill Nye the Science Guy is on T.V. It's the computers or Bill. I really like Bill Nye, but... I like this better.
                Last edited by nita13579; June 9, 2010, 04:14:33 PM.
                "Fear of the name only increases fear of the thing itself" Hermione Granger Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Comment

• both my shoulders got dislocated wednesday. i am in a double sling and on oral morphine for the next week and limited typing. damn my body! :P
                  Las Vegas Boulevard is jammed, and I'm in love...

Comment

• Originally posted by Trialia View Post
                    both my shoulders got dislocated wednesday. i am in a double sling and on oral morphine for the next week and limited typing. damn my body! :P
                    OWIE!

How'd that happen -- or can you not type well enough to tell us until later?
                    "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

Comment

• Originally posted by illiriam View Post
                      I'm slowly working my way down the list, and was happy to add two books in particular : A Wizard of Earthsea (I've heard great things about it) and A Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy (ditto).
                      Whatever you do, stay away from the SciFi Channel version of Earthsea -- the director's image of it was so far off that LeGuin bad-mouthed him in public. (Hmm, that's not the link I meant, looking at it again -- there's one where the director says "this is what the books were really about" and LeGuin goes "hell no", but I can't find it at the moment.)
                      Last edited by Garrett Fitzgerald; June 12, 2010, 02:28:13 PM. Reason: clarify
                      "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

Comment

• Trialia: OOH! That has to hurt very badly! I hope you get better!!
                        I recently discovered the wonders of ordering things online. Two YW wristbands came in that I made for my best friend and I . They have the The Young Wizard Series printed on the back, and either Nita Or Kit on the front. The one that says kit is for my best friend. It came out a little better than the Nita one, also he is a boy, so I think ill keep the Nita one. My mom is gonna have a fit when I tell her I want one that says Dairine....
                        "Fear of the name only increases fear of the thing itself" Hermione Granger Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Comment

• Originally posted by Garrett Fitzgerald View Post
                          OWIE!

How'd that happen -- or can you not type well enough to tell us until later?
                          Sore, but can tell if I type slowly.

Simply put: gotta love having hypermobility-type Ehlers-Danlos syndrome. Or not. :/

In more depth: I was checking into FourSquare on my cell phone while walking to the bus stop to go home from choir practice Wednesday night, tripped and went flying, landed with my whole weight - and I'm not exactly light - on my right arm. That shoulder got partially dislocated forwards (anterior subluxation) and stuck when the muscle went into spasm. I got the bus to the ER to get them to put it back for me. Waited 3 hours in there, holding my right arm with my left all that while. They called me in, X-rayed the right shoulder, and rotated it back in while giving me some nitrous oxide (laughing gas... I giggle endlessly on that stuff, which I like). But shortly after that, the left, so tired from holding up the right, came out - fully - backwards (posterior dislocation). So they had to X-ray that and reduce it, then X-ray it again to make sure it was back. They sent me home in a hospital gown at 0400, in a taxi, with both arms in collar-and-cuff foam slings. I had to wear that gown from then til this afternoon, when my stepmother came up and helped me shower and change!

So my GP gave me oral morphine, and I am in this contraption 'til fracture clinic at the hospital on Thursday.

Comment

• Um.. in lesser pain news... I discovered that my maybe-broken-and-not-healed-right thumb is a really bad place of a pinched nerve. I'm really glad it doesn't have to be re-broken or anything, but now I have to take two anti-inflammatories twice a day for five days.. and completely splint my thumb to my hand. By the way.. I'm right handed.

But um.. we need a big soft cushy bubble.. and.. Trialia.. plushie things.. for your birthday you're getting plushie things..

Also I had something else to say but it's 1 am and I'm really tired. Plus I dealt with a really stupid person tonight, so... I know you guys understand the frustrations and tired-ness you get when you have to say the same. exact. thing. over. and. over. and. OVER AGAIN. (seriously, it was a conversation about an hour long. of me saying the same exact thing.) UGH.

But I'm going to put my air on high and climb into bed now. Love you guys. <3
                            ..................~*Wolf*~..................
                            AIM: CeliaWells8 / Twitter: Scifi_Nerd
                            Won 2nd Place for Topic Of The Week 04, January, 2010!!!

Comment

• I went to my friend's Bar Mitzvah yesterday, which was fun, but very confusing (I can't read or speak Hebrew!!) I also went to my friend's lake house, and we swam and I got to meet some of her new friends. (she moved...) I also got the awesome Wicked Grimmerie, which is amazing by the way!!!!!

I am also officially out of school, as of Thursday, but I'm sad 'cuz my friend is moving to Atlanta on Tuesday But, I am now an official 8th grader...I admit that I am younger than most...

Anyways...it's late...To Wolf and Trialia: hope you get better soon! And don't get hurt again over the summer, the weather's too warm for casts!!

Oh...who's watching the World Cup? I am rooting for South Africa all the way (obviously) but America is good too...Did annyone hear about how the USA team got delayed from their lodge by an old elephant? Well, their not in Kansas anymore...or anywhere else in the US for that matter...
                              Last edited by 96bookworms; June 13, 2010, 10:47:33 PM. Reason: World Cup!
                              All good books are alike in that they are truer than if they really happened. And after you are finished reading one you feel that all that happened to you and afterwards it all belongs to you: the good and the bad, the ecstasy, the remorse, and the sorrow, the people and the places, and how the weather was.

Comment

• Wolf, Bookworm - thanks. Plushie things are good!

Please, if you're going to talk about the World Cup, you mind doing it in a different thread? I'm trying to get AWAY from that as much as possible. The disadvantage of living in "football city", everyone's been blowing air horns for days.

Comment

Working...
                                X