The Topic of Great Randomness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Garrett Fitzgerald View Post
    That's one of my pet peeves right there. Obama is not our Commander in Chief; he is the "Commander in Chief of the Army and Navy of the United States, and of the Militia of the several States, when called into the actual Service of the United States".

Soldiers obey their commander. Citizens tell the commander what to do.
    Sorry Garrett, I've worked for the government and live in a military family. The president is often referred to as Commander in Chief in my family. So that's how I think of him. That's why I said that.
    "Doctors help you to live, the Arts give you a reason to live."

Comment

• Originally posted by bookgirl View Post
      Sorry Garrett, I've worked for the government and live in a military family. The president is often referred to as Commander in Chief in my family. So that's how I think of him. That's why I said that.
      I was considering qualifying that with "Unless you're in the armed services..." :-) But still, my point applies: you're his Commander, not vice versa. Even if you worked in the Executive Branch (which is most of the government offices, right?) he'd be your boss, not your Commander.

I don't mean to take it out on you personally, I've just had it up to ^here with the "unitary executive" theory...
      "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

Comment

• Hi everybody! I haven't been on in about a month, and I haven't posted for real in a couple of them. But I hope that I am back for awhile at least. My life just seems to be going up and down a lot. It's hard to come on much, for me.

I was extremely happy yesterday, with President Obama's inauguration. I didn't really get to watch it because I had classes. I got to see the part where he and the rest of the motorcade ware going to capitol hill and I got to listen to the second half of his speech. I have it recorded, so I can still watch it. It isn't quite the same, I suppose, but it is better than nothing, by far. It was just so inspiring, listening to his speech.

The only problem is the economy. I think some people are expecting him to erform some type of magic and fix it. I think he will help it, and he will try his hardest to help the problems we are facing. I hope that the people who expect everything to be fixed aren't to upset with him. I hope that they don't blame him for it, like a scapegoat. I also really hope that his two girls can have the most normal lives that they can.

On a very different note, I am tired of winter. I think it should be just about over by now. It's not that I don't like winter. It's just that we haven't gotten anyreal snow and it is still cold. If we don't have snow, I don't want it to be cold. I ride horses year-round. We don't have a heated facility and it is absolutely freezing. I probably look pretty comical when I am going off to ride - I have almost three shirts, a sweatshirt, pants, a coat, and then these heavy-duty pants overtop. It sound excessive, but it isn't. When I tacked up yesterday, my fingers went red from the cold and went numb within only a couple minutes. It also made tacking up take longer, though that isn't completely important. I'm used to getting cold though. I get cold easily.

I feel weird in a couple of my classes. I love to read, which translates into writing well. I don't even know when when the person who sits behind me noticed that I always do well. I think he thinks I am magnificent at everything, from the way he talks. But I don't like to flaunt when I do better than other people, so I wish he would stop mentioning it and pointing it out, it makes me feel a little guilty, because sometimes I don't try as hard as the others do. He is nice, but I wish he would stop mentioning it. On one hand, it is flattering, but the other? Not so great.

I have to go now, but I think my schedule is clearing up a little, so I should be able to post more. Any news on A wizard of Mars? I checked Amazon Canada, and the date has moved up... I haven't seen it on any other site though.

dai
        (: it feels so good to be back
        "And on he went, out of sight in unhurried grace; the true dark angel, the unfallen Destroyer, the Pale slayer who never really dies -- seeking for pain to end." Deep Wizardry, page 355 Listen, and I'll tell you a story... of the wind in the trees, and the sun, the moon and the stars... of all of Earth dancing

Comment

• Smile:
          Any news on A wizard of Mars? I checked Amazon Canada, and the date has moved up... I haven't seen it on any other site though.
          I've noticed that too. February 1st now (whooo!); except the only problem is that Amazon.ca is _the only_ place on the 'net that I can find anything about it. Searching by ISBN, or using other book websites to search just brings up the Amazon.ca page. Its kinda strange; you'd think that there would have been a date put up on youngwizards.com. But the only thing that it says is:

A Wizard of Mars will be published by Harcourt Trade Publishers in 2009.
          We shall have to wait and see.

Comment

• So...

Alright...I still don't understand the new forums. And what with all these shiny new "thanks" buttons and nominating threads and...argh....technophobe Hungry is coming back into the light of day, and she is more confused than ever. And I can't even get into my school email for some reason on my own computer-the page won't load! (Totally unrelated, except that it relates to my technophobiac tendencies.)

Hmmm...I was so happy on Tuesday, it was ridiculous. Obama's inauguration, of course, and on Monday night I had a really good/satisfying conversation with "the boy" (I'm going to use "the boy" to refer to the guy I'm kind of dating, kind of not since we're not officially dating...but everyone thinks we are, and we agreed not to date anyone else.) Just seeing Obama inaugurated filled me with so much hope for the country. I'm realistic-I know that the man is only human, and it is possible that he will make many, many mistakes over the next 4 years. But I also feel that the country is in better hands than it was a week ago, and for that, I'm happy. Plus, did anyone else notice how cute his children are?! Completely unrelated to politics, I know.

Monday night...yes, I had a good talk with "the boy" about why we're not technically dating. I'm proud of myself that I was able to get up the nerve to actually call him out on why he's acting the way he is. I hate waiting around for people...but after hearing his reasons why, and knowing that they're good reasons, I'm going to wait for him to get his head in order again. Plus, he did say please... XD I'm completely pathetic, I know. But knowing his history, and what is going on in his head, I think it's ok to wait. He is, without a doubt, my best friend on campus-and he was my best friend before I even liked him as more than a friend, which is partly why I'm willing to wait around for him now.

College is crazy; I'm extremely stressed out right now, which is why I'm posting here, instead of doing homework...this week has been really bad for stress, what with my school email being broken, and me being kind of sick, and getting absolutely no sleep, and having track practice from 9:30 at night until midnight...horrible week. I'm going home on Saturday though, so it'll be ok.

AWOM...I should put aside some money so I can buy that when it comes out...

Alla: sea kittens! I read about that last week, and nearly snorted Gatorade through my nose. Those sea kittens...so dangerous, yet so cuddly.

My mother sent me an Edward Cullen action figure through the mail. I love Twilight, but was so surprised that she'd actually spend money on something that pointless...so now Edward is staring down at me from my shelf while I do my homework. Or, while I procrastinate on my homework.

Is it normal for one person to have 3 loads of dirty laundry after being back at school for only a week and a half? Because that's what I've done tonight...3 loads of dirty laundry. It's a good thing the school washes my running clothes for me during track season, or else it'd be about 5 loads, I think. Anyway...this is all way too much random information for me to handle right now, so I should go do my geology homework...

Comment

• Hi! I am very happy right now. Except that I am tired - when I'm happy, it usually comes with some energy, but not today. I just took my math midterm, which my teacher thought was unfair (she wasn't the only one who made it). I was expecting it to be really hard and too long to finish (some people didn't, though the teacher gave in and gave them more time). I thought that I was going to blank out, of something. But I didn't, the test was easy, I finished it, and now it is the weekend. I have a chem midterm, but it counts for barely anything, so I'm not too worried.

One of my teachers was talking today, on a tangent. He said that when he was going to grad school, Martin Luther King had just been shot. I was really surprised... You hear about these things that happened, and you can do the math and see that it wasn't long ago, and you know that many people are still alive from then. It wasn't that Martin Luther King had been shot so recently (comparatively), it was more that there was so much hate recently. I guess that there still is. It makes it even more wonderful that President Obama is president. It makes me proud.

seabiscut - How come you have track at night? Obama's children are incredibly cute.

I have to get used to the new forums too. Right when I started to get loaded down with work was when the forums switched. I have to figure a few things out. I should probably go to the Newbies section to look over everything again.

And, randomly (as befits this topic), one of the books I am waiting for is coming out soon - yay! It is in a series, but I thought that the series was over.

and also - I don't know if all of you will see this, but thanks to Alla, Garrett, and Tuttle for nominating my post! I didn't expect it, and it was nice to see. It also seemed silly to click the thanks bbutton for nominating me... That could just go around and around. Thank you very much
              "And on he went, out of sight in unhurried grace; the true dark angel, the unfallen Destroyer, the Pale slayer who never really dies -- seeking for pain to end." Deep Wizardry, page 355 Listen, and I'll tell you a story... of the wind in the trees, and the sun, the moon and the stars... of all of Earth dancing

Comment

• Originally posted by Garrett Fitzgerald View Post
                I was considering qualifying that with "Unless you're in the armed services..." :-) But still, my point applies: you're his Commander, not vice versa. Even if you worked in the Executive Branch (which is most of the government offices, right?) he'd be your boss, not your Commander.

I don't mean to take it out on you personally, I've just had it up to ^here with the "unitary executive" theory...

Comment

• Are you using the basic, or advanced editor interface? You can tell, by going to your User CP, click on "Edit Options" in the sidebar on the left, and then scroll down to the bottom. Under the heading "Miscellaneous Options," there should be the option of "Message Editor Interface." If you are using the basic interface, you can change to Standard or Enhanced (that's what I use), and then you'll be able to see and add the smileys to your messages... I think...

If you are already using the Enhanced or Standard editor interface, you should already be able to see the smileys on the right side of the message editor, in kind of a sidebar; and can just click to add them to posts... If not, then there's something else seriously wrong...

Or, if you want to go to the trouble of typing out the code for the smiley you want to use, the link to all of the smileys and their codes is here.

I hope that helped, somehow!
                  Dif-tor heh smusma.

Comment

• Originally posted by seabiscuit1009 View Post
                    Alright...I still don't understand the new forums. And what with all these shiny new "thanks" buttons and nominating threads and...argh....technophobe Hungry is coming back into the light of day, and she is more confused than ever. And I can't even get into my school email for some reason on my own computer-the page won't load! (Totally unrelated, except that it relates to my technophobiac tendencies.)

Hmmm...I was so happy on Tuesday, it was ridiculous. Obama's inauguration, of course, and on Monday night I had a really good/satisfying conversation with "the boy" (I'm going to use "the boy" to refer to the guy I'm kind of dating, kind of not since we're not officially dating...but everyone thinks we are, and we agreed not to date anyone else.) Just seeing Obama inaugurated filled me with so much hope for the country. I'm realistic-I know that the man is only human, and it is possible that he will make many, many mistakes over the next 4 years. But I also feel that the country is in better hands than it was a week ago, and for that, I'm happy. Plus, did anyone else notice how cute his children are?! Completely unrelated to politics, I know.

Monday night...yes, I had a good talk with "the boy" about why we're not technically dating. I'm proud of myself that I was able to get up the nerve to actually call him out on why he's acting the way he is. I hate waiting around for people...but after hearing his reasons why, and knowing that they're good reasons, I'm going to wait for him to get his head in order again. Plus, he did say please... XD I'm completely pathetic, I know. But knowing his history, and what is going on in his head, I think it's ok to wait. He is, without a doubt, my best friend on campus-and he was my best friend before I even liked him as more than a friend, which is partly why I'm willing to wait around for him now.

College is crazy; I'm extremely stressed out right now, which is why I'm posting here, instead of doing homework...this week has been really bad for stress, what with my school email being broken, and me being kind of sick, and getting absolutely no sleep, and having track practice from 9:30 at night until midnight...horrible week. I'm going home on Saturday though, so it'll be ok.

AWOM...I should put aside some money so I can buy that when it comes out...

Alla: sea kittens! I read about that last week, and nearly snorted Gatorade through my nose. Those sea kittens...so dangerous, yet so cuddly.

My mother sent me an Edward Cullen action figure through the mail. I love Twilight, but was so surprised that she'd actually spend money on something that pointless...so now Edward is staring down at me from my shelf while I do my homework. Or, while I procrastinate on my homework.

Is it normal for one person to have 3 loads of dirty laundry after being back at school for only a week and a half? Because that's what I've done tonight...3 loads of dirty laundry. It's a good thing the school washes my running clothes for me during track season, or else it'd be about 5 loads, I think. Anyway...this is all way too much random information for me to handle right now, so I should go do my geology homework...
                    Wow! So what college do you go to anyway? I'm a junior in high school so I've been looking at colleges lately. The 'boy' sitch you're in is a lot like what I'm going through with the 'boy' here in Charlotte. I feel it, and I know he feels it too, we keep talking to each other about so many different topics it makes my head spin, but I'm not sure what to do to talk to him about why we're not together. In fact, after we broke up a few months ago (there were complications, but neither of us really had a good reason for breaking; we just did; we didn't even fall apart, we just kinda stopped). We haven't talked about the prospect, and he nearly brought it up and so did I. He's stressing me out, but he's also the only one I really care about within the men/dating world. I'm glad you and your 'boy' worked it out too
                    Magic exists everywhere you look because you choose to see it. Magic exists inside of me because I welcome it. Magic and energy are one and the same. Energy and magic will always exist.

Comment

• Thanks kk! That helped a ton. Wow, this is a ton better. And I love the smileys.

The weather is still perfect here, now its raining. I love it! I'm reading the book "The Hunger Games", I recommend it to all of you its really good. It sucked me into the story from the very first page. I have to put it down for a bit and run to the mall. My dog chewed up my last pair of dress shoes, and I need them for church tomorrow, so I have to waste such a good day shoe shopping.

Comment

• I keep trying to find some more books, and since everyone goes to the TOGR, I was wondering if you guys could post some more books in the thread I made a while book that says *Curious*. I'm always trying to find some more.

By the way, if anyone wants to read a great compilation about Faerie, I recently read the Faery Reel. There are great authors such as Holly Black that have put some funny tales in here, and each one represents a different belief of Faery, as well as different cultural aspects. Look up the Faery Reel on Amazon to learn more about it. I recommend this book to anyone in love with Faery just as much as I am.
                        Magic exists everywhere you look because you choose to see it. Magic exists inside of me because I welcome it. Magic and energy are one and the same. Energy and magic will always exist.

Comment

• Have you seen the Inkheart movie? I think it's good, although it's not right at all!
                          The books are great too. They are called Inkheart, Inkspell, and Inkdeath by Cornelia Funke. I recomend them to everyone!
                          "Just how have I failed to notice Neets is hot?" ~Kit

~Lover of great books ever since she could read~

Comment

• Originally posted by seabiscuit1009 View Post
                            Alright...I still don't understand the new forums. And what with all these shiny new "thanks" buttons and nominating threads and...argh...
                            It's a bit harder to find stuff at the moment, and we do seem to have a lot more active threads at any one time now, but on the whole it seems to be working fairly smoothly. I'm not really a regular enough reader here to have opinions on "Topic of the *", but the "Thanks" buttons are a nice way to avoid one-line replies saying "Thanks". (I'm not so sure I like the way the list of names under the post grows. A simple count would probably be sufficient.)
                            Originally posted by seabiscuit1009 View Post
                            Geology field work can be a grubby business. Well, it was in my day, anyway...
                            -- Rick.

Comment

• There's a Youth Group session that I'm going to at a Catholic church, and tomorrow its 'Ask The Priest' night, and we're basically asking a ton of questions that are definitely getting answered, and its anonymous. I just wanted to know if anyone here had some good ideas of questions to ask? I'll answer back later and post the answers on here.

Comment

• I like my boyfriend...he's a sweetheart. Yeah that was random, but that's what this place is for. I also like Yu Gi Oh the abridged series. Has anyone here seen that? It's completely hilarious, and I fell out of my chair repeatedly while watching it today. Youtube is my God. Sort of.
                                The Taiko Dodo and Mitten of Insanity
                                I promise not to funfun anymore
                                Be happy cause life is good

Comment

Working...
                                X