The Topic of Great Randomness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Garrett Fitzgerald View Post
    Gwendi, I'm sorry. *hugs* I'm sitting in the hospital room with my mum-in-law while my wife runs an errand. Mum is in the final stages of liver disease, and is in quite a bit of pain. We're not sure how much longer she'll be with us.
    Gwendi, Garrett -- know that my thoughts are with both of you... I'm truly sorry. Seems when your computer decides to go on a vacation, you miss quite a bit.

I was at work during the Inaguration, so I didn't watch it, (not that I would have... I don't like politics) but I do think spending someodd million (billion?) dollars on parties to celebrate the event is excessive.

I think it's time that we all reread history before it's too late... we all have an ability to change our futures, and this is a country that believes in Innocent until proven guilty. That's one of the things that people seem to be forgetting about the basic rights of human kind. After all, we are all only one race - mankind. Just because my skin is white, and others is darker, doesn't make me superior to them. Man is the only animal on this earth that I know of that kills just because of an argument, and for no other reason than that he can.
    I want to send out a Thanks to those in the Military, thanks for keeping us safe. It doesn't get said enough, and I know that it isn't enough. But I want to honor those who have fought this battle with the Lone Power, some have lost their lives, others their pride, and still others have sold out to the Lone Power. It can seem the easier and "safer" path to do so, but in the long run it isn't.
    *glances back at her post* Wow, I got a bit long winded there, sorry. Needless to say, I only hope for that bright future... it's there when you're happy with what you have in life, and live your life in a way that you have your peace.
    Last edited by Stormwind; January 25, 2009, 01:30:41 AM.
    There is Always DEEP Shadow where there is MUCH Light!
    "I will meet the terminally clueless today...idiots and those with hairballs for brains.... I do not have to be like them, even though I would dearly love to hit them hard enough to make the empty places between their ears echo..." Rhiow - TVTQ

Comment

• Garrett and Gwendi - I am really sorry. I don't know when I missed that post, but I hope you are doing as well as you can be... *hugs*

My cat, Koko, is still very young. She still loves to attack things. Such as my feet when they are under a blanket. The blanket in question is very thin, and made in a way that leaves tiny holes in it. (she is really sweet - she just is also very energetic, sometimes)

And on a random note, I can't type today. I have had so many typos to correct, all of them weird.
      "And on he went, out of sight in unhurried grace; the true dark angel, the unfallen Destroyer, the Pale slayer who never really dies -- seeking for pain to end." Deep Wizardry, page 355 Listen, and I'll tell you a story... of the wind in the trees, and the sun, the moon and the stars... of all of Earth dancing

Comment

• My cousin recently was murdered, and my family is having a tough time. Garrett, I'm sorry about your mom, and I hope that everything turns out alright.
        Gwendi, I'm glad that there are so many wonderful memories that you have of your dad, and I hope that you always remember him. He lives in you.
        Magic exists everywhere you look because you choose to see it. Magic exists inside of me because I welcome it. Magic and energy are one and the same. Energy and magic will always exist.

Comment

• Well, Judy left us yesterday afternoon. Both her daughters were with her, as well as one of mine. Ael and I were at home: we had gone to the eye doctor's in the morning, and had skipped breakfast -- and I had had my eyes dilated, so I wasn't in a hurry to go back out and drive, even with the sunglass thingy they gave me.

The funeral will be on Wednesday. I get three days of bereavement leave, so I'm taking them now: I don't know if I need it, but I'd rather be available if Donna needs support. We'll be asking our Eastern Star chapter to do part of the service: Mum was the Worthy Matron of our chapter.
          "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

Comment

• *offers a hug to Garrett* You'll be in my prayers and thoughts, may your family find the solice and peace that they need at this time. Let me know if you need anything that I can give, besides an ear.
            There is Always DEEP Shadow where there is MUCH Light!
            "I will meet the terminally clueless today...idiots and those with hairballs for brains.... I do not have to be like them, even though I would dearly love to hit them hard enough to make the empty places between their ears echo..." Rhiow - TVTQ

Comment

• Garrett and Wiccangixie: *hugs* *hugs again*

I'm sorry; I would write something longer than that, but it's... very late at night, where I live, and my brain just doesn't want to function.

G'Night, all. Dai... I'll write more... later...

*Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz*
              Dif-tor heh smusma.

Comment

• smile: I know how you feel about the boy in your class...I have a friend who, whenever I'm attempting something says, "Of course you'll do well, you're Zara!" He's not saying it to discount me, he just seems to think that I'm amazing at everything. You're right; it is kind of annoying.

kk: Haha, I love the bunny video!

Wiccangixie and Garrett: I'm so sorry about your respective losses.

Wow, I feel like I've been gone from the TOGR for months, but it's only been five days. So much has happened...I went to a speech and debate tournament last weekend, and I advanced for the first time! I went to semifinals in Poetry and my partner and I advanced to quarterfinals in Public Forum debate.We each got a trophy for quarters. Shiny. Anyway, I was really happy about that. The team dominated in first-place trophies AND in top-ranking novices, and we got 4th place sweepstakes. Overall, a very good weekend, especially as the teams that were there are our NFL district.

I'm also going to try out for the spring play...I've thought about it for a long time because I don't know whether or not I have time, but I decided that I'm just going to do it. So. Tryouts were going to be today, but they've been shifted to next Monday and Tuesday because of weather, so hopefully I won't change my mind again before then.

...I also have a kind of boy situation...I think one of my best guy friends likes me. I really hope he doesn't, though, because I don't like him like that and I don't want to hurt him. Sigh. I know he likes someone on the speech and debate team and that he's going to ask them to midwinter. I just hope it's someone who likes him back and who will make him happy...not me. I have reasons to believe it might be me, though.

Dai all.

Comment

• Ooh I love speech! I do poetry too, and it's just the beginning of my season. I'm really excited this year. I should have gone to state last year but I was out of town during sections. I'm doing one Sylvia Plath poem and one Anne Sexton poem this year (both very cheery, of course). I really want to do well this year.

Love and hugs to all going through painful situations right now.
                  The Taiko Dodo and Mitten of Insanity
                  I promise not to funfun anymore
                  Be happy cause life is good

Comment

• *huggles Garrett* I'm never really sure what to say in situations like this, so I just go for a huggle.

smile: seabiscut - How come you have track at night? Obama's children are incredibly cute.
                    I have track at night because it is indoor track season...and I live in the midwest...and my college doesn't have an indoor track. So, when it snows as much as it has recently, we go to the local high school, which was just rebuilt a few years ago and has a beautiful indoor track, and run there so we don't freeze/slip on the ice outside. It's nice, but 10:00 at night is way too late for me personally to be exercising.

wiccangixie: Wow! So what college do you go to anyway?
                    Ehn...I go to a small, private college somewhere in the Midwestern United States. I kind of keep where I go to myself, since it is a fairly small school, and a few (very few...) people on here do know my first name and graduating year, and with those 2 pieces of information, it would be extremely easy to find me. Yeah, I'm probably a little paranoid...but you never know what people will do in this day and age, especially since the forums are open to the public now (they weren't in the past, when I first joined.)

Lazy Leopard: Geology field work can be a grubby business. Well, it was in my day, anyway...
                    Well...I'm actually a potential English or History major...who has to take a science course as one of her requirements, and Environmental Geology fit my two personal requirements: 1. it wasn't an 8:00 AM course, and 2. It isn't an upper level course. But we do get to take a field trip in April and go run around in the mud and a local river...should be fun.

Right now I'm sitting in the school library, waiting for "the boy" to finish his book, since he's got less than 30 pages left, and wants to finish it tonight, apparently. Done with my homework and everything...should probably go back to my dorm and go to bed, but honestly, I just don't feel like walking out in the cold yet. My roommate is pledging a sorority (which I think is crazy of her, but that's another topic that I could go on about for about an hour, so I won't go into that) and has to go to bed at midnight every night until this Saturday; pledge week at my college is apparently actually 2 weeks long, so she's already been doing this for a week. It's insanity, and that is the last word I'm going to say about sororities/frats.

Honestly, it's not really even the cold that's preventing me from going back to my dorm right now, it's the fact that I don't feel like walking around in the dark alone again...you can never be too careful, and we did have a few incidents on campus last semester so I try to stay around people when I can.

I went home this weekend to go to the dentist, and to go to my siblings' orchestra concert. It's always weird coming home; I suddenly get the desire to just not do any homework ever again, and to laze around the house all day. Not that that's a bad feeling, but it does cause problems when you come back to campus and just don't want to work ever again...

Comment

• Cress: Awesome! I've never heard of Anne Sexton, but I love Sylvia Plath. My piece is a collection of poems by Mattie J.T. Stepanek, who was a truly amazing kid. Google him if you haven't heard of him before. Good luck with your piece!

seabiscuit: I'm only in high school, but I know what you mean about coming home and not wanting to do anything. I practically live at school, so that happens a lot. Best of luck getting back into it all.

I know I've said this before, but hugs again to everyone who's going through tough times. *smileyhug*
                      Last edited by eowyngirl; January 27, 2009, 02:13:45 AM.

Comment

• eeeee.

Hiii
                        If this is in the totally wrong thing, and it's misplaced and out of whack.
                        Sorry XD But, the sites all new and it's all different and I haven't been around, for, well, quiet a while, aye?
                        Aww, it feels so warm and fuzzy to see TOGR still going all-out.
                        Had to email Lee to get my stuff... login stuff, yeah. Big thanks again, Lee

So, wow. New members. Old members. Friends. Sweet as bro.
                        Still on land for those wondering. Boat's just sitting pretty out in the harbour.
                        Anyways! I have physics homework. and ... I'm totttallly excited about it because the man who put science AND math together, is like, the almighty. [Har har ... riggght, ... physics.. nnng.]

But yeah, back to posting and having something to do on the internet other than school work, facebook, or ... myyyspace... [so addictive >.<]

*huggles*
                        Hi to Mel, and Sea, and all the other names I saw but now cannot remember because it's 10:30 and I'm not done with physics even though I went out tonight knowing I had to do it... Just so I could play poker in hopes of winning 12 bucks. I got 3rd place. Woo!]

I swear I saw a pirate icon... Where's the pirate icon? Haaa.
                        Love and be loved

Comment

• My best wishes for you, Garrett, and anyone else impacted by the loss!

So the second semester at my school started a week ago.... New classes are pretty good, with the exception of ACP Math with Mr. G. So my mom called my guidance counselor, and I ended up switching to an SCP class with a different teacher, Mr. J, who was a student teacher in one of my sister's favorite Math teacher's class.

Yesterday afternoon, I located the classroom I'm going to be having Math in starting tomorrow, but Mr. J wasn't there. I went to the office asking where Mr. J was, so they paged him to call the office, and they told me where he was and told him that they were sending a student up. I went to find Mr. J, and the classroom was full of teachers, but Mr. J gathered up his things and left to meet me and give me a new textbook (apparently SCP uses a different textbook than ACP). He seems helpful because of this, and also laid back and patient.

Mr. G's a really nice guy and a very unique, outside-the-box thinker, and he integrates famous quotes to his lessons. But his teaching style and work load didn't work for me. And he knew I was struggling, and switching classes happens all the time. I just have to give the ACP book back to him....
                          "...Some of growing up is the knitting together of our cognitive webs, and some things take time and experience to make sense...." - Taran

Comment

• OMG! I'm sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo sorry for your losses! Garret! *gives big hug and won't let go* I'm so sorry! I don't know if I'd ever be able to loose my mom. It would hurt, though. Gah! I'M SOOOOOOOOOO SORRY!

Wiccan! *let's go off garret and clings to Wiccan, not letting her go*
                            I'M SORRY TOO! My cousin's are in the army/marines and I worry for them every day. It would be so harsh if they were killed. I can't imagen life without my bothersome cousins. They are like big brothers!

... Darn, I'm crying. *glares at her won tears* stupid liquid that comes out of my eyes. I'm really sensitive, I guess. *shrugs*

I"M SO SORRY!
                            "I'm so smart!" *KABOOM!!!*- me and my eggbert game
                            "Poop a box!" me and my sis while playing MarioKart DS
                            "Gah!" "I love this song!" "What?!?"- BFFE and me
                            "PILLOWS!" me, Sam, and Kat.

Comment

• Wow! I just found something very amusing...

I know that the old forums are shut down, but go to that address anyways... I noticed that the "Not Found" page is not in any way a normal one!

The page you have requested is not available in the Manual at the moment.
                              This may be due to a change in access authorization requirements, ongoing revisions of the pertinent material, or temporary aberrations in the local time-space continuum. There is also the possibility that the new sysadmin the Powers that Be just hired is on Its coffee break. Again.
                              The Google widget below may be of assistance.
                              Other things to try:

Search youngwizards.net:

If you still can't find what you're looking for, please make sure you are in the correct universe for the page you are requesting. To check your coordinates, meta-click on the toolbar clock to bring up the timespace coordinate-adjustment tool. The settings should match those found in the Manual under Continuum- and plenum-specific attributes; in case of difficulty you can also obtain the necessary data from your local Advisory wizard or equivalent.

If your preferred input method is a keyboard, check to see that you typed the name of the desired page correctly.

If you did, the error may lie with your keyboard. Try downloading a newer version of the Speech-friendly keyboard drivers from your hardware's manufacturer. (Windows XP users: of course there are no XP drivers. You knew before you even asked. Use the 2000 drivers
                              and hope for the best. Vista users: you're on your own.)

For some pages, permission from an Advisory or Senior-level wizard (or higher) is required. Click the Help menu and then click Access-level modification and sanction review to file a request or seek adjustment of an existing sanction.
                              I laughed so hard... I think that's very creative!

Anyways... That's all I wanted to say, right now...

Dai!

Oh, and: *drumroll* 61 DAYS TILL AWOM COMES OUT! Heh... Unless my calendar is off, again...
                              Dif-tor heh smusma.

Comment

• KK: I did come across that, but I didn't read it thoroughly.... I agree, it's really amusing! Who wrote it (sounds like Kathy to me )?

So.... My first day of Math with Mr. J was great today. He had me take a quiz that the class had taken yesterday while they corrected the homework that was due today. He went it over it problem-by-problem, step-by-step, which I think was great (Mr. G just corrected the papers himself; he only went over the homework in class once). Then, we took notes on a couple sections from the second chapter (instead of more than half way through the book like in Mr. G's class, but again, it's a different book), did some practice problems as a class, and started the homework in class. He told us to let him know if he was going too fast. He also told us to let him know if tonight's homework took more than 45 minutes or so; if it does, he said we'll go over it some more (I was fine, though, it only took me about a half hour). And it was easier material than Mr. G had us doing, so I actually wanted to do my work!

We had a snow day yesterday and a 90-minute delay today, so I got plenty of sleep the past 2 nights.

Oh, dear.... Now I have to do a History essay that's due tomorrow.... *Sigh* Off to Microsoft Word!
                                Last edited by EricG1793; January 29, 2009, 07:44:09 PM.
                                "...Some of growing up is the knitting together of our cognitive webs, and some things take time and experience to make sense...." - Taran

Comment

Working...
                                X