No announcement yet.

The Topic of Great Randomness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Awww, pooor Hungry. The hot tea was a good idea, but I guess since you have something really important to do, cold medecine might be in order. Yech. I hate any kind of medecine. But like I said, this is a fairly significant event in your life, and you might want to be coherent.

Angel, yay. I hope you have a good time. What's your dress look like? Oh, and I haven't been to a zoo in a looong time. Maybe it's the whole captivity thing...I actually support zoos if they're treating their animals correctly, but it still makes me sad how diminished (in my mind, anyway) they look behind those bars. :/

Mike, I hope your life becomes less weird? I dunno. If life were normal, it might get boring...but then again, I can relate to the feeling of craving some semblance of normality. Philosophy, eh? Have you done the Greeks yet? If you havn't, reading "Sophie's World" is a good idea. It's a fairly good read, but textbook-like enough to be really informational on a number of philosophers.

Anyway, I'd like to start up my drumming lessons again. I miss them. Now I just have to find a teacher with respectable rates, a decent demeanor, and a hell of a lot of patience. Which cuts out all of the talented drummers I know; none of them are over seventeen, and none of them are particularly good teachers. Any ideas that aren't madly, heartbreakingly expensive?

-Peri

Comment

• Have y'all noticed my chat discussion 9 posts up? Thank you, Garrett, for giving your feedback on that. I would, however, also like feedback from other members. The more opinions, the better!

Aaaahhh, it's a perfect temperature of 56 degrees. I just got in from riding my bike with the dog. Well, riding my bike and having the dog run after me. Not the dog with me on the bike. That just wouldn't work; he's too big.

I'm very much looking forward to landscaping season. Hopefully we'll do more than we did last year. Although, apparently my mowing our lawn and my grandfather's lawn isn't enough. And there's the possibility that I'll be mowing the lawn at my sister's house for her.... She moved in to a big house with three of her friends that they're renting, and since they all moved in over the winter, they don't have a grass-mowing plan worked out yet. I hope that I don't wind up hating to mow lawns.
      "...Some of growing up is the knitting together of our cognitive webs, and some things take time and experience to make sense...." - Taran

Comment

• Aw Hungry.. I hope you feel better!!! I say drink a lot of water. That's what I do. I drink a lot of water and take tons of Vitamin C drops. Good luck on your interview.

Angel: Glad you had fun. I'm excited for prom too!!

Eric: Yeah I agree with you. I haven't had the chance to be on chat, because when I first joined I didn't realize there was one, and then it closed when I found where it was. But like Garrett says it's up to DD to make the decision.

SO. Anything new in my life? Oh, I'm not doing aau this year, really don't _feel_ like it I guess. You could say that my coach from the school team made basketball not fun for me. So.. yeah. Kind of stinks but oh well.

Um. Prom is coming in like a month or so... May 31st. I still need to get my dressed altered. Still have no date. But I'm trying to work up the nerve to ask this one guy... and I think it might be a ridiculous thing to do. We barely even talk! Ugh... life is so hard.

Oh. In my Psych and Sociology class we had this massive giggle fest going on. We couldn't stop laughing during the whole block. It was insane. My teacher got really mad... and threatened to assign seats. Ha. We were like come on, it's a one time thing! We've never done this before.... Yet, we were still laughing...

See, we're learning about how memories work. And he was talking about learning how to do CPR and we might forget as the years go on. He was like "Yeah we remember to tilt the head back and pinch the nose..." A lot of us heard "Punch the nose" instead of pinch. So we start laughing hysterically!! Yeah, I think there was a gas leak in our school or something...

Alrighty. That's all for now. I might come on later...
        Time passes. Even when it seems impossible.
        Even when each tick of the second hand aches like the pulse of blood behind a bruise.
        It passes unevenly, in strange lurches and dragging lulls, but pass it does. Even for me.
        Check out my video: LET GO

Comment

• so i realized, i havn't been on yw.com in forever
          and i decided to make a re-emergance, so i guess we'll see how long that can last. so, basic updates are in order i guess. i turned 18 now XD i have my liscence (sp?) driving is awesome fun. i got accepted to st cloud state university in minnesota. and right now it's snowing in the middle of aprol? seriously what in the name of anything is going on with the weather?

i came back, sort of hoping they'd have brought chat back by now, but i spose not. do we have any sort of official verdict or anything like that yet? with a possibility of chat's return? i havn't been on in so long i havn't been keeping up with the news. though i was pleased that i didn't have to accept any new policy changes when i signed in after so long, so there's obviously hasn't been any negative changes again, which i suppose, is nice to know.

well, i'll be around i guess, since i want to get back into the flow of things before the release of AWOM.

oh speaking of which. has the big meow's online chaptes been updated at all? i couldn't acess the site earlier.

dai all
          -MBF
          ---------------------------------------
          YW Chat room link. http://client00.chat.mibbit.com/ Type in nickname and #youngwizards for channel.
          "in remembrance of Peter Murray,5/16/06,dai stiho

Comment

• Welcome back mythbusterfan (although I probably only saw you once or twice)! They haven't updated "The Big Meow" yet, if you still don't know. By the way, you're not the only one who thinks snow in April is crazy. Even in Canada (Montréal, Québec)it would probably be finished by now. It rained today, but I don't think that's the end of the snow in this strange year. (It's licence, by the way)

Well, next week is my last guitar class (that time will be more like a jam session actually). I've really learned a lot: The 7 basic chords, barre chords, power chords, some seventh chords, some minor chords, two scales, the 12-bar blues, and a few chord progressions. I would've liked to learn all the odd chords like diminished, 5th, 6th, 9th, minor 7th..........
            "If his grin was any wider the top of his head would have fallen off"
            -Terry Pratchett
            Candyman Jr, Master Procrastinator, Joe Green, Vashmata, Master of Technology

Comment

• Originally posted by mythbusterfan:
              do we have any sort of official verdict or anything like that yet? with a possibility of chat's return?
              Well, I actually started discussing it right here in TTOGR, around 15 or so posts up from this one.... It hasn't caught on, though, so apparently getting chat back doesn't appeal to many.

On a different note.... Today, I have a relative coming who I haven't seen since my grandmother's funeral in 2001 - and I don't even remember her. She calls my grandfather every Saturday, but I have never talked to her except to give her my cell phone number for if anything goes wrong while we're driving to pick her up at the bus station. As far as how to categorize her as family, I'm not sure. She is my grandfather's (father's father's) niece, meaning she's my father's cousin. So I suppose I would call her my great-cousin. I'm at my grandfather's right now, and at eleven this morning, my aunt is going to come and pick my grandfather and I up and then we'll be driving to the bus station.

Toodles! (I have never said that... I just had the urge to! )
              "...Some of growing up is the knitting together of our cognitive webs, and some things take time and experience to make sense...." - Taran

Comment

• My dress is a pink-peach colour...but it changes throughout the dress. It's strapless. The top has this sparkly gauzy layer that splits in the skirt. The skirt is white at the top, then darkens into a deep pink at the hem. It's kind of hard to explain. Or maybe I just fail at describing dresses. I'll probably put up a picture at some point.

J is freaking out more about prom than I am. The poor thing...he's so nervous. We're just going to my prom, not his. He's not big on dances, and he won't know that many people. I'll have to make sure he has fun.

As for Chat...like people have said, it's up to DD. And to be honesty, I rarely have the time for chat anymore. Even my spring break was loaded with things to do. Therefore, I'm not greatly affected by its absence.

Oh. My. Goodness. I've been here for four years this month. Well, that's exciting.

Well, I have to work tonight, and I have a flute lesson in a couple hours. Time to go be productive in the world...hah.
                <3
                the awesome like whipped cream || Queen of Nonsensical || Guardian Angel of YW || who *dies* a lot || but <3s everybody || who pours out her soul || and doesn't always say what she should || but is

Comment

• mythbusterfan and vashmata: it's actually spelled license. Sorry don't mean to sound rude and all.

Um, going to the concert tonight!!! Avril Lavigne!! And Boys Like Girls is opening!! I'm so excited. I can't wait. I get to be in General Admission too, which is AMAZING.

Angel your dress sounds really pretty. Mine's a pink color, that's floor length and strapless. It has sparkly on the top, but it's like bunched up on the right and spreads out to the left... Whenever I get the time to take a picture of it I'll post it up on here.

Well not much to say.

Dai
                  Even when each tick of the second hand aches like the pulse of blood behind a bruise.
                  It passes unevenly, in strange lurches and dragging lulls, but pass it does. Even for me.

Comment

• Well, as it turns out, it's a licence (noun), and to license (verb), or at least in Canada, so I was right.

Yeah! I beat the Subspace Emissary in Super Smash Bros. Brawl! ...Well, except for some secrets that I don't have.

I'm learning a short riff that sounds cool. Go here to check it out.

And, being the horrible procrastinator that I am, I haven't started my science project (see the school section) yet.

Well, that's all for now, folks!
                    "If his grin was any wider the top of his head would have fallen off"
                    -Terry Pratchett
                    Candyman Jr, Master Procrastinator, Joe Green, Vashmata, Master of Technology

Comment

• Hey guys. I've got some bad news.

I know a lot of you don't believe in God or whatever, but for those that do, please keep my piano teacher in your prayers.

This morning, he had a seizure. On the way to the hospital he couldn't remember his own wife's name.

The situation gets worse: his wife has cancer, his son has lyme's disease, and his daughter is going to NYU-- keep in mind that he is just a piano teacher, and somehow has to make ends meet for all of this.

It's so sad, I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't have him for a teacher anymore--he's been around me as long as my parents, he's like family to me... I just dunno what I'm gonna do...

Just, guys, I'd really appreciate some prayers for him, okay?

All right, Dai
                      just let your heart take over and sign with a flourish

Comment

• Aw Mel, I'll definitely keep him in my prayers. I hope everything will be okay... There should be some sort of fundraising thing to help his family!! Maybe a benefit concert?? Since he teaches piano, that would be amazing. Take all his students... Yeah. Anyway, yes I'll def. pray for you piano teacher.

Oh man, I'm sick _again_! When am I never sick? I swear I only get like a few days of healthiness before I get sick again. And it's just colds too, nothing serious. It's not fun. Especially when it's allergy season as well. So I have a cold/allergies. BLAH.

My sister's birthday is this Sunday. She's turning 21. It's going to be pretty fun. We're going out with a bunch of my fam and some friends and she's going to get "drunk". Haha, just kidding. But yeah, she'll be able to drink. I'm going to be a designated driver because I'm only 16. Boo. Five more years.

Vashmata: OH. Didn't know that. I've only spelt it license, because you know, that's how we roll in USA haha. Now I'm going to get confused. Haha, thanks for the new knowledge.

I used a lot of smileys. Oh well.

See ya later!

Comment

• During our bi-weekly family-quality-time-at-a-restaurant on Friday, my dad told me I need to get a job this summer. Actually, he more of suggested it, in such a manner as came across as a parental order. I don't really like it when people tell me to do things (and how I've survived through eleven years of school it beyond me), so I was my usual grouchy sullen self. But the idea is rather appealing. Especially since my monthly allowance ($25) is about the price of three paperback books, or three school dramatic performances (and flowers for mis amigos). So some steady extra money that's entirely mine (after taxes, of course) would be nice.

But I don't know what to apply for, so I thought I'd ask for some advice from you nice people. My friend works at Chick-fil-A, and her mom says that they're very flexible with her volleyball schedule. Flexibility is nice. Keeping in mind that I won't be sixteen until July, and that I'm the cynical, antisocial person that I am, any suggestions?
                          I choose my friends for their good looks, my acquaintances for their good characters, and my enemies for their intellects. A man cannot be too careful in the choice of his enemies. I have not got one who is a fool.--Oscar Wilde

Comment

• Marina: a. Sorry, no suggestions for jobs. Haven't gone through that field yet. Good luck, though!

b. You won't be 16 until July?!! I always got the impression you were older, but that's OK! I'm 8 months younger than you.

Mel: Sure, sure, I'll pray for him! I'm really sorry he's going through this, and I'm sure it's troublesome for his family and you! Hang in there.

OK. My laptop died last week. I was at my grandfather's, stuck it in standby, took it home, and when I got home, I pressed the power button, and the screen didn't come on. Neither did the "hard drive activity light". I held down the power button to shut it down, and I tried to turn it on again, and same problem. I contacted HP about it, and they sent me a box last Tuesday, and I have the box, I now just have to wait for a hard drive adapter from Amazon so I can back up my stuff. And of course, I can't use the computer to back up my stuff. I would just let it go, since most of the important stuff is backed up already, but I've loaded on more pictures, and organized the pictures, since I last backed up, so I don't want to lose that.

I gave the lawnmower a very detailed cleaning... that's a long story, though.

Dai all!

Comment

• Originally posted by marina salem:
                              During our bi-weekly family-quality-time-at-a-restaurant on Friday, my dad told me I need to get a job this summer. Actually, he more of suggested it, in such a manner as came across as a parental order. I don't really like it when people tell me to do things (and how I've survived through eleven years of school it beyond me), so I was my usual grouchy sullen self. But the idea is rather appealing. Especially since my monthly allowance ($25) is about the price of three paperback books, or three school dramatic performances (and flowers for mis amigos). So some steady extra money that's entirely mine (after taxes, of course) would be nice.

But I don't know what to apply for, so I thought I'd ask for some advice from you nice people. My friend works at Chick-fil-A, and her mom says that they're very flexible with her volleyball schedule. Flexibility is nice. Keeping in mind that I won't be sixteen until July, and that I'm the cynical, antisocial person that I am, any suggestions?
                              Firstly, $25 buys three books! The way book prices here are going, you'd be lucky to get one for that price. I went looking through a bookshop the other day (I haven't bought any new books myself for a long time, I just borrow from my dad's library), and a book that I had purchased four years ago for $14.95, was $27.99! I was speechless for about five minutes when I saw that. Prices for everything here are going up, and it sucks. But especially the books. A lot of books that I buy have the US and Canadian prices printed on the back, and a lot of my friends are considering starting to get books off the internet, because it is so much cheaper over there.

Job suggestions: Retail is good for young people, just make sure that you can tell them what your availability is when you are applying for a job. Its always a good idea. Or if something comes up, try to find out a couple of weeks in advance (depending on how they do the rosters). I'm not too sure about how supermarkets work over there, but a lot of school kids work at them here, because they're all open to 9pm every night - means that when school goes back, they can still get some work in during the week.

*hugs Mel* Hang in there, mate.

Comment

• May I just take moment to rant and say that the "random" selection by which jury duty is assigned is anything but random to me. I seem to get called every freaking year, and it's a serious pain in the butt. Admittedly, this time, I got off easy by never being called in a panel and just spending the entire time in the lounge waiting to see if I'd get pulled into the mind-numbingly boring process of voir dire.

But still. It's a day of my life I'm never going to get back. I mean, I was in that lounge long enough to read one and a half books. A citizen's work is never done... at least we're down to the one-trial/one-day system.
                                New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

Working...
                                X