The Topic of Great Randomness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welcome Viper!

Wow, we have a big influx of new people again. How many have hung around a fair bit from last time? Lisa, I think, is the only one who comes back quasi reguarly. Viper, follow the link in Kli's signature for the FAQs of the forums, and if you head into the Newbie Zone, there is also an Injokes topic, which will explain a few of the things like nicknames and Tumbleweeds.

One of my friends just showed me this link. I couldn't pass up showing you guys. I apologise in advance if it offends anyone - I think its hilarious that people could come up with these topics...

Oh well... back to the grindstone that is university work

Alla

Comment

• There's place that explains all the injokes I missed?! Why didn't someone tell me before!? I've been wandering around here trying to make sense of all the random giggling and wondering why I was gone so long, when all I had to do was go to some topic that tells me! PETTY ANNOYANCES!
      In other news, PM got my avatar to work. You rock PM!
      The Taiko Dodo and Mitten of Insanity
      I promise not to funfun anymore
      Be happy cause life is good

Comment

• Alla said:
        One of my friends just showed me this link. I couldn't pass up showing you guys. I apologise in advance if it offends anyone - I think its hilarious that people could come up with these topics...
        I'm still laughing at the first prize, for which a girl "proved" that her uncle isn't a monkey. Therefore, she isn't descended from a monkey, she's descended from her uncle.

Who's going to tell her father, that's what I want to know! (And I'm sure the Bible has something to say about people sleeping with their brother's wives, but I'm not going to look that up.)
        Just the FAQs, ma'am: Chat, Board and Books.

Comment

• *is indignant* That second place one in middle school level. *snort* That's completely rediculous. The reason women get lower pay is NOT because we don't work as well. *glowers* It's because stupid people have stupid ideas. *stomps around* That irritates me greatly. I don't believe in evolution, but that whole "Life Doesn't Come from Non-Life" or whatever really didn't prove a thing. The theory of evolution has it taking place over a much longer time than a few weeks. *rolls eyes*

The Bible has verses about adultery...*goes to bible.com* Eek. I don't like that site. *goes instead to biblegateway.com* Much better. In Leviticus: "'If a man commits adultery with another man's wife-with the wife of his neighbor-both the adulterer and the adulteress must be put to death." Pretty harsh. Though, if the wife was childless when the husband died, his brothers/ male family member would marry her.

I guess she should have used her father. *grin* I wonder how young she was. Ooo. Now I see it. Fifth grade. Well, that didn't prove anything. I don't know anyone who goes around saying that everyone's a monkey. *bounces around crazily*

My friend asked me to be a backup singer in his band. The problem is, I can't sing. I think he's deaf or something, 'cause anyone who can hear me would NEVER ask me to sing. *sigh* Even my own mother says I'm just "average". Well, he asked Lovey to play her bass guitar. I wonder where that girl is? I need to call her... *wanders off*
          <3
          the awesome like whipped cream || Queen of Nonsensical || Guardian Angel of YW || who *dies* a lot || but <3s everybody || who pours out her soul || and doesn't always say what she should || but is

Comment

• I'm sure I've already mentioned this before, but just for the fun of it, it seems worthwhile to once again put up a link to The Brick Testament, aka "The Bible in Lego."
            New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

• Klie:
              The third thing was that in my 8am meeting, I couldn't answer a direct question from my group leader about my progress, and I had to say, "I have no clue." in front of a half dozen co-workers.
              *huggles* That sucks. My computer is okay. I think.

And why does this: It was just a "terrible, horrible, no good, very bad" day, sound very familiar. Hmm. *thinks* Dunno where from.

Viper! *blinks* You've registered in October! I did the same thing. I joined in October, but didn't start posting until December or January. And it looks like PM saved you from me. Yup, prol'ly. I wouldn't have bitten your head off over your first two posts if it weren't for the fact that a) I've been repeating myself to newbies. Used to be a thrill to explain it, but some need several explanations. *grumbles* They're pretty rare, but that and stress from school... b) and PM saved you, so I can't yell.

Would I have? No, head hurts. Plus your sentences start with capital letters. Always a plus.

So, yeah, welcome, and I love newbies. Head hurts. Nnnn

OMG! RAHHHHHH!!!!!!! *has a spaz attack over Alla's link* A science fair over creationism!?? AHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Oh my god. I'm reading the actual projects now. OMG. OMFG.

2nd Place: "Women Were Designed For Homemaking"

Jonathan Goode (grade 7) applied findings from many fields of science to support his conclusion that God designed women for homemaking: physics shows that women have a lower center of gravity than men, making them more suited to carrying groceries and laundry baskets; biology shows that women were designed to carry un-born babies in their wombs and to feed born babies milk, making them the natural choice for child rearing; social sciences show that the wages for women workers are lower than for normal workers, meaning that they are unable to work as well and thus earn equal pay; and exegetics shows that God created Eve as a companion for Adam, not as a co-worker.

You're kidding. I'm shaking with rage. OMG! Some of them are silly. This one isn't.

AS:
              *is indignant* That second place one in middle school level. *snort* That's completely rediculous. The reason women get lower pay is NOT because we don't work as well. *glowers* It's because stupid people have stupid ideas. *stomps around* That irritates me greatly. I don't believe in evolution, but that whole "Life Doesn't Come from Non-Life" or whatever really didn't prove a thing. The theory of evolution has it taking place over a much longer time than a few weeks. *rolls eyes*
              I agree with you on everything. *huggles*

I know I'm not a monkey. XD We had a really neat discussion about why, if you beleive in evolutionary theory, people became so different from monkeys. I'd talk more about it, but after this, it'll sound like I'm just battling creationism vs. evolution.
              Gigo: Hey, it's the person who puts 'asian' in 'caucasian'. Hi, Gryph. | | | wildflower: Hmm... should I side with "Gryph is more insane" based on conclusive evidence, or "Sharky is more insane" based on tradition? | | | [url="http://mariposa-mentiro

Comment

• Gryph: thanks for the hugs. And it didn't suck that badly--it was my own damn fault for not reading an e-mail more carefully and asking a simple question at the right time. The important thing was that afterwards, I found out what the lead wanted to know, and made sure he got the right info.

And I know what you mean over stressing out about repeating answers to newbies, but you just have to try and remember what your own newbie days were like, and how nice people were to you (or, conversely, how you wished people had been nice to you ).
                New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

• Hey all!

Havent been round much latley... We had our 7/8 play on thursday. It was Anything Goes, it went okay... Though since I'm posting in 7th grade, I didn't have a major part so their wasnt much pressure... Though all the leads voices today were so hoarse, it was really amusing... Though I felt bad, they laughed themselves soo...
                  ITS SPRING BREAK!!! Oh My God I'm so happy its spring break. No more homework for two weeks, all late nights and mornings for two weeks, HEAVEN! The only bad thing about it is that IT DOESNT FEEL LIKE SPRING! Especially because we're going through ANOTHER snow storm. I CANT BELIEVE THIS! I can't wait for summer!!!

----------------------------------------------
                  Member of the DDFQOTW foundation
                  Commited Fratcha-Bruta
                  Forever and Always
                  Nella

Comment

• *screaming* What happened? I put up a really, really, really long post yesterday, but it's not here! Oh no! Maybe I pressed the wrong button...

Oh well. I guess I can just say hi! I was gonna say, you guys posted almost a whole page in one day.

Also, my choir was in this Chorus Festival, and we got the highest rating, a 1! And hte judge that gave us the highest marks is the director of a Grammy-winning chorus! Wow!

Oh yeah. What is the "uncyclopedia"?

There was a lot more, but...oh well. I typed it after I finished BOTH projects (yes, that's TWO) that were due today. It took, like, 30 minutes to type. And I type 61 words a minute.

I saw The Pacifier today! Best movie ever! (Yes, even better than movies based on books, because I don't like movies based on books, because they're always wrong.)

We got our interim grades today. My English grade went down from an A to a B+. When I told my friend D that, she got really upset. It's my fault, really. I knew she didn't get good grades. She's been absent a lot, so she has only one grade higher than a C+. And that's a B. Then Page (from this site, for those of you who don't know) got mad at me for making her mad. And then I got mad at G for yelling at D. Yes, this is the same G who followed me around for a week. She yelled at my best friend and told her she shouldn't be mad, after I told her it's none of her business. *sigh* Apparently, she was EXTREMELY rude about it.

On that Lego site, I recognize several Lego figures. I love Legos. One of them is Anakin Skywalker, and another is Rom Weasley.

"Women were designed for homemaking"
                    WTH? I want to be an author. I don't intend to have a family, or at least it's not a priority. Just b/c we're paid less doesn't mean we do worse jobs, it means the idiots who hire us don't pay us enough! I do beleive in God. (I'm...well, I don't really know what religion I am. Officially, and Baptismally, I'm Catholic. But I go to an Episcopal church...they're pretty much the same.) But I DO NOT believe that God made women to carry groceries and laundry! *re-checks site* Oh, I should've known a boy did that. *smoke coming out of ears* I bet the judges were male...
                    And I don't think that "experiment" is politically, morally, or logically correct. There's WAYYY more evidence to the contrary. Now I should stop before I start cursing for the first time in my life.
                    Founder of the "Posts for ToGR" foundation. Keep the ToGR alive by a donation of one post!
                    "But before the happily ever after, there was always a kiss." ~Misread, my novel-in-progress!
                    "If I wasn't smart, I'd be dead."~The Naming, by Alice Croggon

Comment

• Kli:And I know what you mean over stressing out about repeating answers to newbies, but you just have to try and remember what your own newbie days were like, and how nice people were to you (or, conversely, how you wished people had been nice to you ).
                      I don't remember how people reacted to me. I guess it was because I had only posted a few posts on YW, and all of the rest were on Abroad. I was eventually dragged back to YW, and a lot of the members here were familiar with me already. They also called me Gryphon and all thought of me as a black and white cat.

No Spring Break for another weak, but I have a three day weekend. :/ This three day weekend isn't one to get excited over..

Lisa:
                      Oh yeah. What is the "uncyclopedia"?
                      Have you heard of an encyclopedia? (nod your head yes) This is the uncycolopedia! I don't have a link with me, but on DD's blog, she put up a link about Adolf Hitler from there that I'm sure will have you rolling on the floor, laughing.

The missing link...

Gah, the mods are controlling our posts!
                      Gigo: Hey, it's the person who puts 'asian' in 'caucasian'. Hi, Gryph. | | | wildflower: Hmm... should I side with "Gryph is more insane" based on conclusive evidence, or "Sharky is more insane" based on tradition? | | | [url="http://mariposa-mentiro

Comment

• Whoa. I just clicked on the link. That's weird. That's beyond weird. It's absolutely bizarre, and extremely random. I'm sort of scared. That's even crazier than Page.

I changed my siggy! I'll probably change it once a week or so from now on, because I feel like it.
                        Founder of the "Posts for ToGR" foundation. Keep the ToGR alive by a donation of one post!
                        "But before the happily ever after, there was always a kiss." ~Misread, my novel-in-progress!
                        "If I wasn't smart, I'd be dead."~The Naming, by Alice Croggon

Comment

• Re: Pi day... In New Zealand March 14 isn't Pi day, because we would write it as 14/3 rather than 13/4. Instead we celebrate it on 22 July, because 22/7=3.142 blah blah blah; it's the closest fraction approximation to pi.

It's also, incidentally, my birthday.

I am alternately snickering with insane amusement at the LEGO bible (is that an acronym, by the way? And Peter, I'm sure your Lego creations only aspire to be as elaborate as those..) and choking all over the compuiter screen for the creationist science fair... um, guys, is that a spoof? Surely no-one actually thinks like that (please, please, oh please let this be true.) Just so you don't have too many heart attacks, let's pretend (hope)... Anyway, if anyone thinks god designed women for housework, they could be proved wrong simply by examining me. A cursory glace at my skills will show that I
                          -can't sew
                          -can't vacuum!
                          -don't get on with kids
                          -hate doing dishes
                          -my room's a pigsty
                          -can't even open curtains in the morning...
                          ... well, you see, I'm not exactly a product of divine design, am I? :P

And kathy *hugs* Frankly, just the fact that you had an eight am meeting was enough suckage for at least a day...

And congrats on your choir Lisa... that's great!
                          Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

• The Uncyclopedia thingy is DD's fault... she posted a link to it in her 'blog and PM and WF got to it and passed it around! Well, maybe not fault, but yeah.

Ah, I just got back from work and my voice is sore. A whole day of saying stuff on the mic hurts... and I have another whole day coming up I won't be able to speak by monday - I bet.

*sigh* I'm really tired, and must needs I get started on an assignment which is due on monday...

Dai'stiho!

Alla

More: hehe.. Erin Brockovich is on TV at the moment. and its kinda cold where I'm sitting atm... I don't know why my brother turned the aircon on...

Comment

• Originally posted by Birdhead:
                              I am alternately snickering with insane amusement at the LEGO bible (is that an acronym, by the way? And Peter, I'm sure your Lego creations only aspire to be as elaborate as those..)
                              I don't think they're even up to aspiring. I like that Testament, but keep having to be reminded to look for updates to it.
                              and choking all over the compuiter screen for the creationist science fair... um, guys, is that a spoof? Surely no-one actually thinks like that (please, please, oh please let this be true.)
                              I can't decide if it's real or not. If it's real, there's no hope for some people. If it's a parody - .
                              Alla said:
                              The Uncyclopedia thingy is DD's fault... she posted a link to it in her 'blog and PM and WF got to it and passed it around!
                              We didn't just pass it around, we added entries to it . And now they're voting on whether to allow entries/editing from unregistered people. Should we take this personally? Yeah, I think so.
                              Just the FAQs, ma'am: Chat, Board and Books.

Comment

• I saw the headline on Yahoo about how the Pope is expected to leave the hospital soon, and it jogged my memory. Last week in chem class, a few of the boys had a theory that the Pope was really dead and people were just propping him up with sticks and strings. Sick, I know, but hehe.

Just so you know, I don't believe all (or most, even) Christians are like the ones on Alla's website.

I've been siggied by in real life friends. It's from the time I did a chatroom roleplay with them. It went something along the lines of "Sometimes I always like tea with water. Sometimes I never like tea without water. I always sometimes like tea with water." My character, well, the only things that I knew about her was that she liked tea, was snobbish, and goes to flower lessons (?). She also used a weapon called a mint alo, which we later found out was really the mint arrow, and alo was just a bad translation.

I read an article about how the most powerful, most _compact_ supercomputer is half the size of a tenis court. It also consumes like power.

"72 Trillion Calculations Per Second"

I'm assuming that's really good. It's the fastest computer on the planet, it says.

Yaha, I saw it before WF!

I can beleive that that's real (the Christian webby). I just hope that it's off in Alaska somewhere. Or on another planet. It scares me.

Kinda like when Belial messaged me asking why I shot down all of his statements pro extreme capitalism. It was because I was afraid of it.

I feel helpless.

Comment

Working...
                                X