No announcement yet.

The Topic of Great Randomness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• it sounds like you're saying that the Bible is not the truth and Jesus was not the Son of God because you do not see them as such.
    I'm not sure what you mean by the secodnd part. But the first bit is accurate: no, I do not believe the Bible uis the truth. Certainly not the literal truth, but not really truth at all. *shrugs* I'm an atheist. If I believed the Bible was the truth I, uh, wouldn't be.

Mmph. I like Kit's mythology point, though I suppose your eyewitness idea disagrees with that... yeah. It's a mythology. And mythologies are myths. (ooh, that was cutting. Unintentional.)

I thought it was hilarious, anyway, because to me... I dunno... because to me, the idea that inter-racial relationships are wrong is plan STUPID. We're all people, right?
    Er, YEAH. I thought that whole idea went out long back, and was continued only by the occasional parent- not usually by strangers... >.< Shame about your parents. But probably they'll come round eventually....

GOD, I'm so hopeless. Sorry. I know alll of this is pretty ineffectual: I'm not good at this stuff. Yeah. Pretty useless. So if I give you lame advice, forgive me?

"We are philosophical geniuses [sic] who will one day rule the world!"
    --Agent M
    Ahahahaha, Ahahahaha, Ahahahaha!
    Still the Typo Queen
    Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

• The second part was the point, though. I was just giving examples. Perhaps a more accurate expression would be, 'it sounds like you're saying that A is not B because you cannot conceive of A as such, but want to see A as C and therefore believe that A must be C because you cannot see A as B but must see it as C because you cannot see A as otherwise. Similarly, D is E because you see D as E and nothing else; thus D must be E and cannot be, for example, F because you don't believe D is F. However, you do not believe D is F because you do not believe D is F. Also, you are G, which is a belief that encompasses your beliefs that A is C and D is F. You are G because you believe A is C and D is F, and you believe A is C and D is F because you are G.' But I thought it would be easier to say it they way I did. Sorry for all misunderstandings.

Words are the litmus paper of the minds. If you find yourself in the power of someone who will use the word "commence" in cold blood, go somewhere else very quickly. But if they say "Enter", don't stop to pack.
      --Terry Pratchett, Small Gods
      My art place thing - http://paperdragoness.deviantart.com
      OK, so ten out of ten for style, but minus several million for good thinking, yeah?
      --Douglas Adams, HHGG

Comment

• Gee, Aurora, I'm really sorry about your parents' interpretation. Hey, the first guy I liked, my mom started crooning around telling everyone how we kept saying we were getting married. Now, whenever we see each other, we're like, "Not talking to him/her!" It's so embarrassing. I hope your treasure can get your parents out of it. Sometimes they just are trying to help, and are annoyed that we grow up so fast. Best wishes--

brokencello
        the crinkled paper bag
        "Life isn't like the movies, Toto."
        --Alfredo, Cinema Paradiso
        brokencello
        the crinkled paper bag
        "Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate." "But why is the rum gone?" --both from Captain Jack Sparrow, "Pirates"

Comment

• Why? I personally think it's VERY VERY VERY funny. They'll snap out of it. *airy tone of voice*

I dunno, other people all feel bad about it, I just think its funny! Very very funny.

Even if the STILL don't let me go to his school dances.

Kitsune Rei ~kisses taste nice~

Comment

• lol. I guess. But it sounds kind of...dunno. Wow, this is pointless, ne?
            randomness...
            I was reading up on Baryonyx Walkeri, and I'm finding precious little information on its habitat. I don't suppose anyone knows anything about what the wealden was like in the early-mid Cretaceous? Oh, and I can't find many contemporaries. So annoying.
            Hm. I just read my previous post, and now I remember I said I'd stop the debate-whatsit. Oh well. Just pretend I never posted it.

Words are the litmus paper of the minds. If you find yourself in the power of someone who will use the word "commence" in cold blood, go somewhere else very quickly. But if they say "Enter", don't stop to pack.
            OK, so ten out of ten for style, but minus several million for good thinking, yeah?
            --Douglas Adams, HHGG

Comment

• Well, I guess if I were your parents, I would want to meet the guy first. I mean, it's evident that you have kissed him and stuff--I don't know if it is to your parents--but depending on your childhood and age, perhaps they think that your relationship is going beyond kissing. And that is knid of a scary thought when you're a parent. Like, My daughter's dating a man I don't know and I don't know how that relationship is! So, I agree with you, he might be great, but try and see your parents' side.

brokencello
              the crinkled paper bag
              brokencello
              the crinkled paper bag
              "Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate." "But why is the rum gone?" --both from Captain Jack Sparrow, "Pirates"

Comment

• hmm??? My childhood? I was a pretty good kid, pretty quiet, the kid who'd get beat up and never tell anyone about it.

I'm bloody fifteen! That's a lil YOUNG for a relationship going past kissing, no?

Or maybe it's me and my naive mind. After all- According to my friends, I am supremely clueless and naive... though too smart too.

Comment

• Kit: for you, maybe. And you think you're too young, so you/it won't. But if your parents are worried, and aren't sure whether they know you well enough, they don't know whether it will or not. A lot of the time you hear all these worrying articles about teenage sex, and teenagers being sexually active at 13, and blah blah blah- and that worries parents, really. You know you're not going to do anything: they don't.

You could try telling them, that might help... *shrugs* I'm no good at parent psychology, I'm just a kid...

--Agent M
                  Still the Typo Queen

Comment

• One thing you might use to reassure them is tell them that no, you're not planning to do anything like that, but you will come talk to them if the subject should come up, and especially if something goes wrong. Other than that, since you don't have a record of doing dumb things, ask them to trust you to be responsible.

A couple of the guys in our gamer group are 15, and get a certain amount of razzing about the whole 'young love' thing, but we have told them repeatedly that, as much as we tease them, they can count on us for help and advice from the so-called 'mature' viewpoint. We'd much rather have either of them talk to any of us than go do something stupid. I expect your parents feel the same, even though it might be uncomfortable and/or embarrassing for both of you.

"Thus is Balance maintained." A Wizard of Earthsea
                    "Condensing fact from the vapor of nuance." Neal Stephenson, Snow Crash
                    "Thus is Balance maintained." A Wizard of Earthsea
                    "Condensing fact from the vapor of nuance." Neal Stephenson, Snow Crash

Comment

• Ooh, I have a marvellous quote for us all, courtesy of my best friend Meg. It goes like this:
                      "Religion is not knoowing and denying it; agnosticsm is not knowing and admitting it; atheism is not knowing and glorying in it."
                      That might appeal to some of you. It makes me laugh, that's for sure.

--Agent M
                      Still the Typo Queen

Comment

• Aurora: When you said 15 was too young, my friend is 14 and she's already had an abortion (sp?) (not this year!) and her mom thinks she's pregant again, because she is throwing up every morning and she says she feels like she did when she was pregnant. My brother used to spend hours at his girlfriend's house alone with her, and once didn't even tell mom where he was going. So she asked him about sex, and he said they had decided when they first went out that they weren't going to do anything like that until marige. She trusted him, even though 2 years before he had taken the car out on a little joy ride, and he didn't even have his permit! And earlier that year he had tried drugs. And really lost her trust for a while, now she doesn't even wory about him spending the night in a hotel by her college so he can hang out with her.

~Sam (Hifun55) and Dog~
                        One by one the garden gnomes slowly steal my sanity.
                        ~Sam (Hifun55)~
                        Why do I have to keep telling people I'm OK? Oh, because they aren't sure I am... then why do I have to keep telling me??
                        HYPERNESS IS FUN!!! I'M HYPER 24-7!!!
                        My being born was NOT a natural disater!!! It was just a bad thing to h

Comment

• Um. No comment. Let's move past this thread. I don't like talking about boys because I have never diddled in their footsteps. I really couldn't care less. If my best friend wants to make out in the back lot of DQ, good for her. But really, I have never cared too much...Let's get off this thread. That's really terrible, Sam. Really terrible.

brokencello
                          the crinkled paper bag
                          brokencello
                          the crinkled paper bag

Comment

• Yeah, lets change subject. Whats going on to talk about? I just went shopping, got lots of stuff, but can't have it untill Christmas. I saw Pirates last night for the first time, I don't see many movies in theaters. OH, well glommy day, nothing interesting here.

~Sam (Hifun55) and Dog~
                            One by one the garden gnomes slowly steal my sanity.
                            ~Sam (Hifun55)~
                            Why do I have to keep telling people I'm OK? Oh, because they aren't sure I am... then why do I have to keep telling me??
                            HYPERNESS IS FUN!!! I'M HYPER 24-7!!!
                            My being born was NOT a natural disater!!! It was just a bad thing to h

Comment

• Pirates of the Carribean? I know it's been said ad nauseum, but...that is the _best_ movie.
                              *sigh* I should get started on my history homework...social darwinism and whatnot...history has never been one of my strong subjects. How did the Gospel of Wealth relate to the activities of the so-called 'captains of industry?' No clue...
                              Wow, I am discombobulated today.

--Douglas Adams, HHGG

Comment

• yeah, well, that's the media for you... maybe its only ME, but honestly- I doubt more than half of teens seriously have sex... If you went out on the street to ask that question, the answer you're going to get is more likely to be *slap* "What do I look like, a *****?"

hmm... I met up with him at the library today. he played with his Magic cards while I reviewed my geography notes and did an english response journal. Then we talked, and he gave me a back rub, and that's about it....

Comment

Working...
                                X