Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Harry Potter Speculation (book & movie Spoilers)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i've never skipped school either, but I like HP that much. I don't think it was Ron that just dosn't seem likely. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!! You called the lighter thingy-not even the silver lighter as it's described in the book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! In book 1, chapter 1- The Boy Who Lived, page 9, 13th line, 7th word, it's called a Put-Outer. In book 5- the US edition in chapter 3- The Advance Guard, on page 58, the 1st word on the 15th line, Harry calls it a Put-Outer.

These are the 1st two books that I thought of immediately (and I could think of the chapter in which they were mentioned) so, if you find more references, then it's not because I scoured the books looking for examples. Both editions mentioned are hardcover US editions.

I don't think she indicated Ron at all, but your perspective is different than mine.
    Believe something... and somewhere, it's happened

Comment

• It can be really annoying when people don't look at the rest of the topic when all of this has been talked about already. *sighs* Ron and Harry work for the ministry of magic as aurors. Harry, Ron, and Hermione completely revolutionize the industry and the wizarding world. Here's a link. Scroll to the epilogue in the middle of the page.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Weasley
      Writing is nice, but you have to live in the real world sometimes.-Me 09/06/07
      Writing is an art, and words are like colors.

Comment

• See?!!! I was right. JK Rowling did NOT even hint that Ron would become the headmaster of Hogwarts. Was the Put-outer already mentioned? because I haven't got the time to look now.
        If it was, then I guess I shouldn't have bothered remembering two of the exact areas in which it is mentioned. *growls*

I think Vashmata was thinking Ron, though an auror, might still become the headmaster of Hogwarts, because it is still possible- just VERY unlikely.

Comment

• This is a clip from the new documentary coming up with J.K. Rowling. In this clip she draws out the Weasley family tree and explains what happens to each of them.

http://video.the-leaky-cauldron.org/video/958

This is a picture of her handwritten family tree of the Weasley's.

http://gallery.the-leaky-cauldron.org/picture/204471

And this one has Draco Malfoy on it.

http://gallery.the-leaky-cauldron.org/picture/204472

Comment

• nice links Spyells! Thanks, I like the leaky cauldron, but have you also been to JK Rowling's official site? It's pretty nice, and so is the muggglenet, etc.

I was just wondering, because you seem to be in the leaky cauldron a lot, and I was just wondering if you wanted a couple more sites to visit...I can give you more if you want, so, if you do just PM me.

Comment

• I usually do check other sites. I just don't post them. I always check J.K. Rowling's official site. I just post this one the most often because I get it in my email. But thanks for the offer though.

Comment

• Okay, just out of curiosity, who does everyone think is the most complex and believable character as of Deathly Hallows? I think Snape and Dumbledore tie, mostly. But I find Snape easier to imagine as an actual person because, I guess, he's a little easier for me to understand, feel sorry for and (horror!) relate to. (Emphatically not meaning that I have a similar personality to him at all :0 )

Annnd... I have a theory about Lily as of DH... This is it, in short: Lily was already sick of Snape when she ditched him and had been sick of him for the past few years beforehand. The explanation is long and is more character analysis than anything else, but I'll enter it anyway, but it's full of teal deer. So here it is: I've always been pretty neutral about Lily as a character; I don't dislike her, but she's a rather flat character, so I don't know enough about her to decide if I like her. But it surprised me to realize that some die-hard Snape fangirls actually hate her. (I admit, I laughed rather hysterically.) But it did get me thinking about Lily. Of course, after Snape called her a 'Mudblood' (HP equivalent of the n-word) I thought, yeah, she had every right to ditch the jerk. I would have done the same if my friend called me -

Well, no; I would certainly have been shocked and offended, but thinking about it from my own perspective, I would have been furious for maybe three seconds, taken a couple hours to cool off, but the way I would have dealt with it would have been markedly different. If this person was my friend or at least someone I cared about, I would have thought about it and realized that, a) this person was in a fit of anger and humiliation when s/he said it; and b) the fact that they used such an offensive racial slur means that *they need serious help* and for his/her sake and for the sake of the other people who might care for him/her, - since nobody else was doing anything to help his/her growth and development, I needed to. I would have, at that point, taken responsibility myself to help that person, since obviously no one else was. And yes, I do know what it's like to be called a racial slur. I still would have stuck with them and done everything I could to help them.

So, my theory is that, being a popular girl, with plenty of choices other than Snape as a friend, the only reason Lily put up with Snape by her second or third year at Hogwarts was out of the kindness of her heart - she didn't understand him, and probably by her fifth year, she didn't even like him. She was justifiably furious after the 'Mudblood' incident, but the only reason she didn't try to help him was because she had already been sick of him. And since she didn't need the friendship for her moral and psychological growth the way Snape did, she ditched him. The 'Mudblood' was only the last bit of leverage she needed.

Another fundamental misunderstanding would have been Lily's perception of why he called her a Mudblood. Sure, Snape had problems; but considering the position Snape was in, - though it was not the right thing to do and was offensive, - it is also understandable. (I've been in similar positions in my life, and though I never let rip with a racial slur, I would not have found it difficult, I'm ashamed to say.) Lily had never been in that kind of situation and would not have realized how easy it is to do the wrong thing and make bad choices. She probably didn't realize that Snape was desperate for anyone who would associate with him, and being in Slytherin and given his unpopularity, people like Avery and Mulciber were probably the only people (other than Lily) who would even give him a passing glance. More often, people outside of Slytherin - well, look at James. To Lily's credit, she stuck up for Snape despite being confused and disapproving of his choices.

Despite being flat, Lily is pretty complex for a minor character. She's kind - but is she too impulsive? She looks farther beyond the surface than some people, like James - but did she let popularity or the desire for it get in the way of that skill? She's 'pure' in that she hates the Dark Arts - but is she willing to foray into the darkness to pull her friend out of it?

She needs an in-depth, psychoanalytical fanfiction.

By the way... I did my best to be fair and objective in the explanation of this theory (and the resulting analysis.) I am not a 'Lily-basher' and will never be one; but I've always been easier on the underdogs and, yes, sometimes the villains from stories. Not that being popular is bad, I just identify far more with the underdogs. (Villains not so much - I don't consider myself a villain - but I always feel pity and a wanting-to-help for most of the more well-developed villains.) Popular people ... well, it's a sliding scale of popularity, and if someone hasn't experienced something, (in this case, extreme bullying,) then they can't really understand it, and that can make them a little unfeeling - not they're fault, since they don't understand, but it's still not pleasant for those of us who do. But anyone who thinks I was too critical or misinformed in my analysis of Lily - please call me on it.

I'm sorry this post was long and full of teal deer. It won't happen again!
                LifeSong
                Last edited by LifeSong; April 10, 2011, 06:41:04 PM.

Comment

• Don't apologize for making a long post: from my experiences it's not easy to find people who take some time writing a post more than a few lines long. I find it's easier to understand what's going on if people go to the effort of articulating their thoughts clearly.

"Lily-bashing"? Now there's a phrase I've never heard before. I always thought that there was a lot of mystery behind Lily being a dead character and all, and one of the many reasons you kept reading was to find out more about her among many other things.
                  How do you wake Lady Gaga up in the morning?
                  You poke her face.

Comment

• Thanks.

As for as far as "Lily-bashing" goes . . . you're right, at least for most of us, Lily was a character we definitely wanted to know more about. But for some of the most die-hard Snape fangirls out there, their rationale is: "Lily ditched Severus = Lily is evil." Strange, yes. But although I might have chosen differently, her choice turned her from a higher-being, a mother who died protecting her child (because that was all we knew of her) into a very real, interesting and complex human being.

It may have something to do with the fact that I like to look for the good in people. Sure, Lily refused to help Severus after he called her a "Mudblood" - she took it hard and personally - but isn't that fairly normal for a fifteen/sixteen year old girl? (Well, I shouldn't be talking, I just turned thirteen, but that's beside the point. ) And she was the only one willing to make friends with the "ugly street kid" when she was a child. I'd really like to know more about Lily. (I also have a hunch that she did have a serious crush on James from early on, even though she acted like she hated him.) I spend all my spare time theorizing about books (when I'm not being that crazy girl who breaks flint and glass in her front yard trying to make arrowheads . . .)

Comment

Working...
                    X