No announcement yet.

Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z... the father is a bit after the skirts, if ya know what I mean... kinda James Bondish in character.. and the grandmother isn't very nice at all...

And then Mia's mother has nights over with the teacher and then she gets pregnant and then elopes... not exactly Disney rated 'G' material. I like the movies..... but I am sure that I wouldn't have liked them if I had read the books first... my policy now is to watch then read...

Ya know.. if ya all were to read Robert Ludlum, you would complain too, cause in Supremecy, they kill off his wife... only in the book, she doesn't die and the guy is living in the US and not abroad, and the book really takes place in the US and in the Orient...not in Europe like the movie does. And big one... the people actually know where he lives, as he has been in some witness protection program.

Sometimes a movie has to deviate from the book because it just doesn't work the way the book does. You can't just do whatever the book says... too complicated and it costs too much money to do it that way, so they adapt the story for what they have already.

Not every movie can be filmed like Lord of the Rings.
    -----------------------------I'm not paranoid! Which of my enemies told you this?
    The trouble with life is that you're half-way through it before you realize it's a do-it-yourself thing.
    I've gone to find myself. If I should return before I get bac

Comment

• I still don't want to read Princess Diaries. Don't know why. I didn't want to see the movie either. One of my friends forced me to watch it. I didn't really like the first one very much. Well, right now I'm kind of Anne Hathaway obsessed. It's a bad thing.
      The Taiko Dodo and Mitten of Insanity
      I promise not to funfun anymore
      Be happy cause life is good

Comment

• "Ya know.. if ya all were to read Robert Ludlum, you would complain too, cause in Supremecy, they kill off his wife... only in the book, she doesn't die and the guy is living in the US and not abroad, and the book really takes place in the US and in the Orient...not in Europe like the movie does. And big one... the people actually know where he lives, as he has been in some witness protection program."
        My dad said something like that! hahahah!!! MORE PROOF THAT HOLLYWOOD IS EVIL!!!!!!!! MUAHAHAH!!!!!
        *Agent~M*
        "Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
        "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
        "See everything, overlook a lot, correct a little." - Pope John Paul XXIII
        "I could live

Comment

• Sometimes a movie has to deviate from the book because it just doesn't work the way the book does. You can't just do whatever the book says... too complicated and it costs too much money to do it that way, so they adapt the story for what they have already.

Not every movie can be filmed like Lord of the Rings.
          Sometimes I wonder why they want to "base" a film on a book, if they have to change so much. I can't think of a particularly bad example of that, though. Films/TV series like Wyrd Sisters and Soul Music aren't too bad.

I've read that Princess Bride was supposed to be impossible to film, but the writer of the book wrote the film. I haven't read the book, so I don't know how much it changed.
          Just the FAQs, ma'am: Chat, Board and Books.

Comment

• Yeah... Even Diane said that should would probably have to change things when she wrote the film/series scripts for the YW series.

M... did your dad like the movie? Did he read the books?
            -----------------------------I'm not paranoid! Which of my enemies told you this?
            The trouble with life is that you're half-way through it before you realize it's a do-it-yourself thing.
            I've gone to find myself. If I should return before I get bac

Comment

• PM: Princess Bride, in its entirety, would be unfilmable. The story is told as a first person narrative from the POV of the successful screenwriter of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (which, William Goldman wrote), talking about this book his father used to read to him, and how it was only after he'd bought a copy for his kid that he discovered that his father hadn't read him the whole thing, etc., and had only given him The Good Bits version.

When he came to adapt it as a screenplay, he ended up jettisoning most of that, conflating the father-to-son-to-grandson thing to grandfather-to-grandson, and basically gave you the Good Bits version. Brilliant, but big changes that nonetheless stuck to the heart and soul of the piece.

The other adaptation-miracle is Dennis Potter's The Singing Detective, which changed the hero's name, his situation, the period, the geographic setting, and all the music, and still managed to be a quintessential version of The Singing Detective. You'll note that in this case, the original writer was also the adapter.

That's not to say every novelist should screen write their own stuff (both Potter and Goldman are/were at the top of the screenwriting profession), but if that novelist is also a talented screenwriter....
              New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

• M:
                Okay, just to let anyone know I've got a list of books that are coming out in the next few months, if anyone wants to know when a sequel to something is coming out, tell me, I'm bored and I love looking up stuff
                The Golum's Eye (sequel to The Amulet of Samarkand) Sept.1
                Days of Magic, Nights of War (sequel to Abarat) Oct.1
                The Purple Emperor (sequel to Faerie Wars) Oct.4
                And The Key by Marianne Curley was SUPPOSED to come out around the beginning of August and if ANYONE knows when it's coming out, PLEASE TELL ME!!!
                I have Amulate of Samarkand, haven't read it. I have Abarat, haven't read it. Wait... Abarat has a sequel? I thought it was a single book. It's been out forever, and I haven't heard anything about a sequel. Hmm. Faerie Wars... *hiss* I don't like that book.

I got Stravaganza: City of Masks and Stravaganza: City of Stars today from the library. I think someone here recommended them, right? I can't figure out which one goes first.
                Gigo: Hey, it's the person who puts 'asian' in 'caucasian'. Hi, Gryph. | | | wildflower: Hmm... should I side with "Gryph is more insane" based on conclusive evidence, or "Sharky is more insane" based on tradition? | | | [url="http://mariposa-mentiro

Comment

• I just use Amazon to look up forthcoming books. I think the only one I'm really psyched about, though, is the next Discworld book: Going Postal.

And, of course, always remember to take their release data with a grain of salt. Given that W@W is still listed as October by them.

Oh, hey! The Grand Tour is out! Yippee! At last, Sorcery and Cecilia will have a companion on the shelf.
                  New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

• "I have Amulate of Samarkand, haven't read it. I have Abarat, haven't read it. Wait... Abarat has a sequel? I thought it was a single book. It's been out forever, and I haven't heard anything about a sequel. Hmm. Faerie Wars... *hiss* I don't like that book."
                    Yeppers, Abarat is a trilogy. I've been looking up everything I can about it for the past two years. *grumbles* He's decided that he's gotta wait 2 years to publish them *roll eyes* It'll take me two DAYS to finish it and then I'll have to wait another two years! *grr* But it's worth it And there's supposed to be a movie too... Faerie Wars was pretty good, not the best, but it was good. Tithe was WAAAAAAAY better though, I like the whole modern faerie tale thing. Gryph have you started To Visit the Queen yet? *glares*
                    Ooh! Stravaganza! I might have recommended it but I know that other people besides me have read it on here so maybe I didn't... But I know that the third one comes out next spring.
                    AHAHAH! And for anyone who's read Eragon (and liked it) the sequel, Eldest, is out next Aug.1
                    *Agent~M*
                    "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
                    "I could live

Comment

• Stravaganza's sequel is out in Spring? Well, that's not too bad, I guess. Ugg. I'll still read it now instead of waiting. Tithes was an awesome book; I don't care how dark it was. Abarat is a trilogy? Eesh. That's harsh. As for Eragon... you don't mean next years August, do you?
                      Gigo: Hey, it's the person who puts 'asian' in 'caucasian'. Hi, Gryph. | | | wildflower: Hmm... should I side with "Gryph is more insane" based on conclusive evidence, or "Sharky is more insane" based on tradition? | | | [url="http://mariposa-mentiro

Comment

• Why is that harsh?? Abarat was good!! And yeah, Eldest comes out Aug.1 2005.
                        *Agent~M*
                        "I could live

Comment

• And yet it is still, perhaps, a little harsh because not only does he have to write the book, he has to paint the pictures. And don't get me wrong, I LOVE the pictures, but it just takes FOREVER to do that many full-size paintings, which is why the gap has been.. kinda long. Or that's what I would guess.

Going Postal! Kathy, I too am excited!
                          Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

• I loved Abarat! Has anyone ever read the Wheel of Time? Cause someone suggested it to me, and I seem to remember someone on here saying they couldn't get past the first chapter or something.

Comment

• The same person that recomended it to you recomended(sp?) it to me I think.... I might have been the one that said I couldn't get through the first chapter too... *snore*
                              *Agent~M*
                              "I could live

Comment

• Actually you don't know the person that recommended it to me. They were the people at the school I almost went to.

Comment

Working...
                                X