No announcement yet.

Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tori, I know what you mean about having the next one at hand. There's one series (Dorothy Dunnett's "Lymond Chronicles") where I'm always recommending that by the time you start the second one (the first one is standalone without a cliffhanger ending), you really really need to have all six in the house. And it gets worse with her "House of Niccolò" series.

I don't recommend Dunnett often on this board, because they're neither kids' books or fantasy, but historical fiction with gloriously baroque prose that a lot of folks find give them headaches. But I love it to death. The woman uses words you can't find in the OED.
    New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

• You can't get the second one before the first when dealing with libraries...you end up with the SECOND book first often as not, and find yourself reading it and getting confused cause you can't bring yourself to wait after a few weeks....*Shrugs* at least, that's the problem i get....my library is TINY though so i have to request almost EVERYTHING. the good news is though, it means every once in a while i can comb through my school or public library and write down ALL The books i want to read from them...
      I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.
      For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

• So, I borrowed Inkspell from the public library, and I hear that Inkdeath is due out next year.

But what I'm trying to puzzle out is how they translated the title. As I understand it, the German titles of the books are Tintenherz, Tintenblut, and Tintentod.

So, why do we have Inkspell instead of Inkblood or Inkspirit?
        New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

• kli6:
          But what I'm trying to puzzle out is how they translated the title. As I understand it, the German titles of the books are Tintenherz, Tintenblut, and Tintentod.

So, why do we have Inkspell instead of Inkblood or Inkspirit?
          Ah, that's American editors at work. Not unlike "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone", the Inkheart titles have been changed to something more "suitable" for American audiences (supposedly).

The titles of the Inkheart books in German are as follows: "Tintenherz", "Tintenblut", and originally "Tintentod", but now "Tintensaat".

The English translations of these titles would be "Inkheart", "Inkblood", and originally "Inkdeath", but now "Inkseed".

"Inkblood" and "Inkseed" were considered to be unmarketable titles in the US, and were thus replaced by "Inkspell" and "Inkdawn" respectively. For some reason, it seems that "Inkdeath" would have made it unscathed, had the book kept that title. "Inkdawn" is somewhat forgiveable, as "Inkseed" does sound a bit odd, and "dawn" conveys the same meaning of new beginnings that I believe "seed" is meant to convey. There really is no good excuse for "Inkspell", except perhaps that the word "blood" is considered a bit disturbing. Of course, so is the book, but perhaps they were afraid of scaring away young readers, or more likely, parents of young readers.
          Worlebird
          ------------------------------------
          "We were once so close to heaven, Peter came out and gave us medals declaring us the nicest of the damned." - They Might be Giants

Comment

• Yes, it would also be my guess that American marketeers got in the way, but given how extraordinary the translations have been on the Funke books, I found it a little confusing. And thanks for updating on the title change.

I find it interesting that Funke is apparently now living in Los Angeles, and that she'd always envisioned Brendan Fraser as Mo (and now he's in the flick). One does wonder how living in La-La Land's going to affect her writing.

Comment

• I just finished reading 'A Princess of Mars' by Edgar Rice Burroughs. I was expecting it to be very bad, but actually it wasn't. Sure, there was a bit too much 'hero punches huge green monster-man on the jaw, monster-man falls down stone dead' for my liking, but on the whole I rather enjoyed reading it.

And now I am acquainted with some of the references that will no doubt be found in AWOM.

How do I get a 'first 100' icon like Worlebird? Surely I qualify.

Comment

• Now you can understand references DD has made in past blogs and comments, such as
                (heh) Yes, he is a cutie, isn't he? But you ain't seen nothin' yet. Just wait till he turns up in A Wizard of Mars wearing the John Carter Memorial Loincloth. What there is of it.

(snrk) Doubtless there will also be some comment passed about what Nita winds up (somewhat) wearing. Very Dejah Thoris.
                Even if they go to Mars during its summer, they'll have problems.
                Just the FAQs, ma'am: Chat, Board and Books.

Comment

• books that change countries get edited, changed, messed around with...even in the SAME country it happens! it can be annoying, but what can you do about it? and anyways, when you change the country the very content changes anyways...i mean, if you direct translations of the words, there's no fluidity, and the book STINKS. if they want more fluidity they have to actually change the way they say the same things, so that the words still fit together...of course, i've never actually read a book in a different language, so they could just make it really bad, but i think i remember something about the process... when is the inkheart movie coming out, anyways?
                  For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

• Books are always getting translated wrong. In a mystery book from the twenties (can't remember which) the American version didn't make sense because the solution was mistranslated.
                    I can create a world, out of letters and words. I can make you believe something in a paragraph. I can make you love someone in a page. I can make you go places that don't exist in a book. That's all the magic I need. [url]http://melpomene.freeforums

Comment

• Ok, here's my latest YA fantasy find. Esther Friesner's Temping Fate. It's a light-hearted comedy about a teenage girl who finds a summer job temping for the Fates. Friesner's really good with the funny.

The book I'm currently reading, though, is Rafael Sabatini's Bellarion. It's historical fiction, set in medieval Italy, with a hero who was raised in a cloister on books, who's suddenly gotten out in the world, met and fallen in love with a woman, and is now doing everything he can to help her save her country and her brother, Machiavelli-style. I like heroes who outthink their enemies.

Comment

• Has anyone here read any Charles DeLint?

I think he's an incredible writer with a very unique perspective on modern fantasy and on life in general. His books flow like modern fairy tales but have the twist of being in an urban environment and his characters have alot of depth.

On the other hand I fear some might not like his method of not always keeping with an antagonist or a normal adventure. Most of the time his tales have to do with dealing with amazing things in a somewhat real environment. From ghosts to faery, to imaginary friends turned real due to alternate reality and magic, his tales really are something different.

If you've already checked him out or if he's been mentioned here before, that's fine. I'm new. I have just been reading a lot of his stuff recently and was really getting into them waiting for the next wizards book.

If you haven't read him, check it out.

Comment

• at the moment, i'm reading L.O.S.T series and TRYING to clear enough out of my reading list from the lirary to read the arthur series by kevin corssly holand (not sure when i'll get around to it though, even though i dived half way into it before realizing i had books about to be do!) and i'm also working my way through a reading list a mile wide! and half of them are series, and authors, so that one entery can me half a dozen or more! *would faint from all that i want to read but admits that i actually LIKE having a reading list constantly awaiting me*

Comment

• Originally posted by Elder Math:
                            Has anyone here read any Charles DeLint?
                            I haven't read much, but what I've read, I've really enjoyed. I had this great experience once where I was at a party that Neil Gaiman gave after World Fantasy convention, where Charles Vess (aka Charles Light) showed myself and Maggie Thompson copies of the paintings for an illustrated book that he'd just done, which had been written by Charles de Lint (aka Charles Dark). And Charles Dark was sitting in the corner, just sort of silently observing as Maggie and I were in tears over the artwork and the story. Gorgeous stuff.

The book is called A Circle of Cats. Highly recommend it. It's about a girl who's changed into a kitten. It's the prequel to Seven Wild Sisters.

Comment

• Originally posted by kli6:
                              I had this great experience once where I was at a party that Neil Gaiman gave after World Fantasy convention...
                              Kathy, have I mentioned lately that I hate you? :-) I have to get by with things like meeting Adam Baldwin at a signing in Seattle, or holding the door for Stephen Hawking...
                              "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

Comment

• I can't believe I just read that whole thread...

Anyway, Asimov wasn't mentioned often enough. Foundation is awesome, as are all the robot books.

Also, I really liked Myst. The largest single volume I believe I've ever carried around was the three in one Myst.

Life of Pi is incredible. I've read it like, four times and own two copies. "Water without a hippopotamus was so much more manageable than water with one."

Other books I liked include at least half of what has been mentioned here. My reading list (ok, my 'titles that will catch my eye next time I browse the library' list) is now much larger as well.

Oh yeah, I also really liked the Jungle Book. Really.
                                /~*|=|*~\

Comment

Working...
                                X