Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

My least favorites are WD and WA.
      A WD because Nita and Kit's being separate seemed impossible (kind of like, 'Obi-Wan and Anakin fight?! Neverrr!'). When a book has two stories going on, and switches between them constantly, it really gets on my nerves. I can't keep the stories straight and they lose their meaning for me because I get distracted. I appreciate how it was handled otherwise- they didn't suddenly hate each other but were worried instead and tried to contact each other, which made it more realistic.
      A WA because it was kind of a weak link. I don't know exactly why though. Additionally, reading fiction about or watching a movie about people with mental problems or disorders is really tough on me. The end was gratifying, because let's face it, who doesn't love Darryl? But the rest of it gave me a headache from putting up with the strain of, again, following the two stories.
      I must have a bad memory or something.
      "A cynic is a man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing."
      -Oscar Wilde

Comment

deep wizardry is by my opinion, the worst book. Like, it got a little boring in some parts of the book, and it did'nt really grab me as much as the other books. I mean, I like some parts of the book, like when they first meet Ed and when they are singing the song of twelve, but really hated the part when Ed died. I mean, I didn't want Nita to be sacrificed, but couldn't like, S'ree be sacrificed or something. I just... this book didn't grab me as much as the others.

Comment

favorite so you want to be a wizard

least favorite a wizard alone

Comment

Deep wizardry is my least fave but i still have yet to finish To Visit The Queen. And it took me forever to read A Wizard Alone cause I started reading a different series and its rather slow in the beginning.
            Footsteps in the snow suggest where you have been, point to where you were going: but where they suddenly vanish, never dismiss the possibility of flight....

Comment

Originally posted by trevbook View Post
              deep wizardry is by my opinion, the worst book. Like, it got a little boring in some parts of the book, and it did'nt really grab me as much as the other books. I mean, I like some parts of the book, like when they first meet Ed and when they are singing the song of twelve, but really hated the part when Ed died. I mean, I didn't want Nita to be sacrificed, but couldn't like, S'ree be sacrificed or something. I just... this book didn't grab me as much as the others.
              Why S'reee? I'm glad she didn't get sacrificed because her job is too important. There aren't enough female whale wizards and I personally liked Deep Wizardry because I could resonate my problems with S'reee. Being young, yet somehow being stuck with having to make decisions that you feel you're not ready for; then having to make those decisions anyway no matter what happens. Ed was amazing because he could understand so much, and yet was misunderstood as a shark that ruthlessly eats, when in fact he's performing a service. Personally it's hard to dislike any of the books simply because DD does such a good job of releasing so many different aspects.
              Magic exists everywhere you look because you choose to see it. Magic exists inside of me because I welcome it. Magic and energy are one and the same. Energy and magic will always exist.

Comment

I don't know if I "dislike" any of the YW books. In fact I love them all. I've read them all many times over and I would again. Honestly, when an author can make getting a snack interesting (WH), she doesn't deserve any of her books not to be liked.

Now, non-YW books....see, I like to think I have an open mind. I can find some good in any book, I thought (although I did avoid teen romance and horror and most contemporary adult fiction). Until I met...Slathbog's Gold. YUCK. KILL IT DEAD NOW.

Cliched, contrived plot. Stereotyped elves, dwarves, magicians, and dragons. The main character, a teenaged boy, picks up, "accidentally", the perfect weapon that allows him to kill a dragon. And his bloodline, apparently, is every single race in the fantasy world, giving him fantastic abilities. I kept waiting for something to happen and it didn't. Gah. It reads like a bad adventure video game, without the nice graphics.

Sorry for the rant. I only read this coughplagarizedcough book a while ago, and the injury is still fresh.

Comment

It's hard to imagine that anyone didn't like Deep Wizardry. It's the book that got me hooked on the Young Wizards series in middle school many years ago. I have the Silent Lord's Song tacked to my quote board (and it's the longest quote on the board, too). The underwater theme and the overall moral of the story were both very appealing to me.

As to my least favorite YW book, I would also have to say that A Wizard Abroad wins that "prize", though not for the mythology (which I found very interesting). It seemed to me that AWA had an unusually large amount of superfluous description, and the situation that landed Nita in Ireland to begin with made me cringe. While the situation is in character for Nita, I, as a reader, go along for the ride, and I can say without any doubt that her parents' technique for sending her across an ocean would *never* have worked with me. That being said, I did enjoy Ronan and his plight, as well as the overall plot of the book.

As for non-YW books I'm not a big fan of, "When Legends Die" makes the top of my list (we were forced to read it in school). "The Grapes of Wrath" and "Of Mice and Men" also stuck out as books I had to read and didn't like at all. Come to think of it, the only required reading book that I ever enjoyed was "Animal Farm" (and that's only because it at least had talking animals in it - I can tolerate far more thinly-veiled social commentary when they include a nice fantasy element, like talking animals). Other than required reading, there are very few books I've read that I didn't like, probably because I stopped reading any book that failed to grab my interest by the time I'd read the first couple dozen pages.

~Quag

Comment

"Dislike" isn't exactly the word for me, since I don't actually dislike any of them. Dilemma is the one I re-read least - not because I don't think it is a good book, but because I, too, lost my mother to cancer at a very similar age to Nita, and the book is very difficult for me to read without either getting a stress migraine or ending up in tears.
                    Las Vegas Boulevard is jammed, and I'm in love...

Comment

Hmm...I can't really say which one I like the least, since I've only finished half the series so far, but so far my absolute favorite is High Wizardry, because it's the most sci-fi. I like the visiting other planets and alien races thing, so from the sound of things I can't wait to get to Wizard's Holiday.
                      I just can't seem to get into AWA. It's so complex, the mythology stuff, it's hard to remember every little name and detail. It gets confusing.
                      "This will look great next to my restraining order from Leonard Nimoy!" ~ Sheldon, Big Bang Theory

Comment

You know, I always get very confused when I see a topic and want to respond, only to discover I put my two cents in several years ago and have forgotten entirely. Oops!

Anyway, contrary to my first opinion, I'm siding with the AWAL people. I really liked meeting so many new characters/species/etc. in TWD, and again in WH and WAW. In the middle of that clump of books which spread out the focus of the series from our world to a significant degree, pulling back into one place just doesn't appeal to me as much.

And again, in comparison to the books following it, the subject matter is much more somber. I mean, the subject was somber in TWD, but there was still some home that Nita's mom could be saved. The books following AWaL have been much more lighthearted and epic, making it stand out a little bit more.
                        PM: Dai everyone, Caitlin is right
                        Follow the bouncing poot

Comment

My least favorite YW book would probably have to be A Wizard Alone. DD is a fantastic writer, but all the sad elements just dragged down the plot for me. It's drowning in a mire of depression, to put it pretentiously.
                          "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

...and eyes, sweet as honey, soft as moss, that hold in their black vessels the bitterness of old wounds and the tired peace of growing wisdom.

Comment

Originally posted by Trialia View Post
                            "Dislike" isn't exactly the word for me, since I don't actually dislike any of them. Dilemma is the one I re-read least - not because I don't think it is a good book, but because I, too, lost my mother to cancer at a very similar age to Nita, and the book is very difficult for me to read without either getting a stress migraine or ending up in tears.
                            I'm the same way- I would never say that I dislike any of the Young Wizards books, but Dilemma just dredges up too many old memories of how I lost my mom to cancer, too. Also, I was a bit confused by the way Nita responded to the whole situation, but I've realized since that the difference between my situation and hers was that she was taken completely by surprise, whereas my mom lived for ten years or so after being diagnosed, thanks to her bone marrow donor.

Comment

Originally posted by Linktoreality View Post
                              I'm the same way- I would never say that I dislike any of the Young Wizards books, but Dilemma just dredges up too many old memories of how I lost my mom to cancer, too. Also, I was a bit confused by the way Nita responded to the whole situation, but I've realized since that the difference between my situation and hers was that she was taken completely by surprise, whereas my mom lived for ten years or so after being diagnosed, thanks to her bone marrow donor.
                              Mine lived for 14, in and out of remission. She was diagnosed with NHL when I was just about to turn three years old, so I grew up knowing from about eight that I was going to lose her eventually, but not when. I'm lucky to have had her so long.
                              Las Vegas Boulevard is jammed, and I'm in love...

Comment

I never really liked DW or AWA, I'm not really sure why.

The first time I read AWD I cried for Nita and her Mom, partially just because I'm like that, and partially because my mom also had cancer, but my mom's was breast cancer. Thankfully, she survived, but I was about 11 at the time and I don't think I had fully realized in how much danger my mom had been in.....so that put me off that book for a few years. But just a while back I forced myself to reread it, and I found that I enjoyed it more, maybe because I wasn't so worried about what would happen. Mainly, I like the whole think with Ponch, and I try to skip a lot of the sad parts. But the Playroom was cool.....sorry for getting off topic.

I think DW just got sort of tedious after a while, and the issue didn't, for some reason, feel quite as important. The undersea theme was pretty cool, but I just find it kind of dull.

As for AWA, I think that the description went overboard a little, and I think it was different (not necessarily bad ) that there were so many adults involved. I can't blame DD for describing so much because, after all, she lives there, so she would want to make it sound really cool (that's, again, not all bad) it just gets tedious sometimes.

As for AWaL, that's one of my favorites. I've always been fascinated with autism (I must get it from my dad, he's a psychologist )I don't know anyone personally that's autistic, but I've always thought it was interesting. Has anyone seen Rain Man ? That movie was AMAZING! It features an autistic savant. It was really cool.Anyways, I've always liked autism (not that I want to have it or anything.....)Also, If the next book after AWD went on as if nothing had happened, THEN I wouldn't have liked it. I can understand why Nita was so sad.
                                All good books are alike in that they are truer than if they really happened. And after you are finished reading one you feel that all that happened to you and afterwards it all belongs to you: the good and the bad, the ecstasy, the remorse, and the sorrow, the people and the places, and how the weather was.

Comment

Working...
                                X