No announcement yet.

Your least favorite book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High Wizardry was the most boring, the only good parts were at the very end DW was my favorite and then AWA. I can't wait for Wizards at War!
    penguins will rule the world.

Comment

Finaly, one that doesnt need saving!! Thought I would mention that..
      ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
      **Neets**
      CAUTION: Being a member of YW forum may result in loss of sanity.

Kathy, me and G - I love you, chime, I hate you, chime, I can't live with out you.

Comment

other than that my least favourite book would be 1984
        Whoa, my favorite book! I love books about society. George Orwell is the best.

Xylemicarious
        I am Espresso Fiend.

Comment

Whoa! My favorite song is 1985...hmmmm.
          Anyways I do not like the book Shabanu! It's annoying!!!! ARGH!
          penguins will rule the world.

Comment

least favorite yw book
            r u kidding!?
            i dont have one!
            they are all really really good, i guess because i love fantasy so much...

quote of my day
            if life is a road... dont hesitate! by God follow it!

Comment

OMG, I read like two pages of Anne of Green Gables and chucked it out of the window because of how boring it was. Then I remembered that that wasn't any way to treat a book! So I rewinded and put it in my bookshelf to rot. I thought it would be good because I have to admit that I am a little house on the prairie fan, and on the library list they recomended Anne of Green Gables to people that like The Little House on the Prairie, and so I bought it. So monotonous (sp?).

Right now I am rereading Hamlet, and after that I'm reading King Lear. I love Shakespeare because I can understand it (in Lexiland, people speak in the language of poetry).
              Whoops, wandering from the topic again.

I don't have a least favorite YW book either.
              ... But he was looking through the window at the one joy from which he must be forever barred.

Comment

I read one called 'Martian chronicles' or diary and i really could not get into it!! It was terrrible! The story line was good but the way it was written made my head hurt!! Cant remember the author but it went straight to another member of my family!!
                Fox
                God its hard to keep up with everything here!!

Memember of The STTF (Save the topic foundation).

Comment

Non YW books that I hate

Jane Austen... blech. And Anne of Green Gables is awful too. Arrr. The Hounds of the Morrigan sucked.

BONWM is my least fav. YW book right now.
                  Gigo: Hey, it's the person who puts 'asian' in 'caucasian'. Hi, Gryph. | | | wildflower: Hmm... should I side with "Gryph is more insane" based on conclusive evidence, or "Sharky is more insane" based on tradition? | | | [url="http://mariposa-mentiro

Comment

Oh, come on ppl! Deep Wizardry, A Wizard Abroad are the Best!!!!! -NitaFan211
                    So, I have never really done the whole quote thing before and I probably did it wrong, but anyways I totally agree with NitaFan211, Deep Wizardry and A Wizard Abroad are the best YW books.
                    On the other hand I really did not like High Wizardry, I didnt like it because I really dont like Dairine all that much and I was kind of disappointed that Dairine got powers because I was kind of sympathising(sp?) with Nita when she was happy that at last she could do something that her sister couldnt. I guess that I am biased cause of my own genius sister, anyways thats my opinion.

Comment

Well, the one where Dairine gets her wizardry is actually High Wizardry; Deep Wizardry involves the Song of the Twelve and Ed.

A Wizard Abroad wasn't my favorite either.
                      I solemnly swear I am up to no good...

Comment

I know what you mean, neets. I didn't like HW as much as any of the others because I'm attatched to Nita and Kit and I don't really care about Dairine as much.

My favorite book so far... I don't really know. I liked A Wizard's Holiday a lot.

Comment

So far my least favorites have been A Wizard Abroad and WD. The first because it seemed to break with the formula of the first three and sidelined Kit. The second because Kit and Nita spent much of the time separated.

However, I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed the wizardry leakage at Kit's house and any appearance by his sassy and very funny sister - Carmeela. Also when I say 'least favorites' it should be put in perspective - I enjoyed ALL of the YW series so far. It's just that I enjoyed those two a little less.

Still, I cannot fault DD's writing in those two books - it's just my personal preference for subject matter. For example, I _LOVE_ DW and HW, but apparently they just didn't grab other DD and YW fans. There's no accounting for taste, is there? After all, how the hell else did Harry Potter take off at the expense of established, much loved and (I say) far better series' such as Young Wizards? ;-)
                          Frog blast the vent core!

Comment

I'd have to say A Wizard Abroad is my least favorite of the Young Wizards series so far for a number of reasons. I guess the minor reasons being that the Irish kids Nita met had a really annoying attitude, the fact that this novel has the most timeline inconsistencies of any YW novel to date, and that this book marks the beginning of the split between Nita's and Kit's friendship that lasts for two more books. Now, the major reasons I least like this book least is because the storyline just isn't as interesting as the others and there weren't really any new ideas or deep questions asked, which every other book after the first book (that one being an introduction) did. Let's look at some ideas or questions the other books offered:
                            <UL TYPE=SQUARE>
                            <LI>DW: If you had to, would you be willing to sacrifice yourself to save others?
                            <LI>HW: Is it worth living an imperfect human existence if we can make ourselves into perfect machines? Should imperfect being even be allowed to exist?
                            <LI>TWD: Should one risk going against everything one's worked for to save another?
                            <LI>AWAL: Autism, although it has serious disadvantages, gives perspectives that probably wouldn't be obtained in other ways.
                            <LI>WH: Is there a purpose in having a perfect society if there is no advancement?[/list]
                            Not only did AWAB not really make the reader think in some way, the climax was a reenactment, something we had already seen in DW, except in DW at least there was some kind of dilemma, which AWAB didn't have. The fact the climactic battle ended with merely a spear being thrown, seemed like a bit of a letdown. I think the reason this novel suffered somewhat, was because DD really just wanted to use this book to showcase Irish culture and mythology, and the storyline and writing suffered as a result. Not to say that this is a bad novel, it isn't, it just isn't as good as the others.
                            ---------------------------
                            "The law of entropy is just a complicated way of explaining why some things don't happen very often."
                            -Norman Christ, Professor of Physics, Columbia University (Does the Lone One know this? :P)

Comment

Ah, finally someone who agrees with me. And also expresses their feelings on AWAB more eloquently and thus breathing life into the things I've been muttering about all along. So here's to you, Moeen.

But there is one other thing to dislike about AWAB that hasn't been mentioned: Ronan. I don't like him. His attitude is just plain bad and not at all attractive, though his story has some pull to it. But really, he could try to be a more likeable person. I really don't understand what DD thought Nita could see in him--it's like Hermione and Ron in Harry Potter. You know Hermione could do better than Ron, but there she goes, falling in love with him. Throughout the whole book, Nita and Ronan as a couple never rings true. I almost feel like DD was experimenting with a "feuding lovers" theme that finally matured into the interaction between Dairine and Roshaun (which, consequently, worked quite well, though we don't really have a clear indication that they are lovers per se--but I would like to see that happen ).

The one ray of light in AWAB is Biddy. That is why I read that book every once in a while, as opposed to all the others, which get read about once a month But anything to do with Peach/Michael/Biddy is pretty damn amusing, so...

Anyways, as far as favorite books go, I'm all for High Wizardry and Wizard's Holiday, the latter having quite a bit to do with a certain King/Prince.

I Am The (Semi-Original) Roshaun Fan. Yay for Prince Unlikely!

Comment

*sigh* Why does everybody dislike Ronan and AWAbroad so much? (I asked rhetorically. many people have been taking my questions waay to seriously.) Well, I'll save that for another thread.

I really like HW, AWD, and AWAbroad. I suppose I'm kind of biased towards AWA because I'm Irish, and it makes me think about how my ancestors may have thought. My guess is that DD chose Ireland because it is so rich in ledgends and witchcraft and all sorts of things like that.

Sorry, kind of off the point. My least favorite may be DW, but i don't really think so... It's probably more like AWAlone because Kit and Nita didn't really get along at all, and it didn' just grab at me, as somebody put (I'm sorry, I can't remember or find it!!). It was pretty interesting, and it had a good pot, its just that I didn't like it, and there's nothing much more to it. I guess it was a bit depressing for me.
                                just let your heart take over and sign with a flourish

Comment

Working...
                                X