No announcement yet.

Shippiness/Romance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• umm, I don't think that there is a difference at all in the Lettering. Hmmm, i don't know if they will marry. I think it would certainly be ironic if they did, but... I don't know. It just doesn't seem right now. I like them as being friends for now. i certainly hope that they always remain pateners...I think they will, but still...
    Believe something... and somewhere, it's happened

Comment

• For all we know, the series' relationship subplots could go as follows:

Nita starts dating Ronan, and Kit is more than a little nosy about it. Eventually, after hearing about her "Celto-goth hottie" one time too many, Nita tells Kit that if he finds Ronan so hot, maybe heshould go out with him. Kit goes "...yeah, that's true".

Nita and Ronan break up, Ronan and Kit start dating and then Nita runs off with Carmela to do every shopping mall in the galaxy. Meanwhile, Dairine carries on a sordid polyamorous relationship with Sker'ret, Filif and Roshaun.

...okay, so the last part is possibly pushing it.

Comment

• Ummm. Wow. That certainly was unexpected. Made me laugh at first. I don't really look forward to the idea of Kit/Ronan. i mean, it is possible, and i don't think that there is anything wrong with on guy liking another, but seriously. Kit and Ronan? think about it. and I don't think Kit would have that kind of time... Hehehe Also, Nita doesn't seem to be the kind for shopping, but, you know... could be wrong... she just doesn't have enough time either. and Dairine...well, I think that Roshaun is plenty for her.

I know that that was intended as a joke (or I hope it was, though if they are your views...no offense or anything) But, i'm glad we are exploring different possibilities. (though i think I prefer the older ships.)

Dai all

Comment

• No, no, it was intended to make you laugh -- I was being incredibly facetious! I'm more of a gen reader/writer anyway and feel that the series is more of a coming of age story rather than anything else.

Not to mention, how would a tree and a girl go on a date? If only Carmela had answered that question in Wizard's Holiday. Oh, the missed opportunities.

Comment

• Yes, I know it was a joke... And I really have no idea how a tree and a girl would go on a date... But I think it would be Carmela, if anyone... though I think that Filif is better staying with his own species... and Sker'ret...
            But Roshaun and Dairine are fine. so at least your joke had a tiny glimmer of what we were saying betfore...
            and i'm not really sure that this is a coming- of- age story. Care to elaborate? I mean, there are so many different themes...

NO CARMELA/RONAN.

Comment

• I am all for the original matches that we've been talking about, but I had an idea - it would be funny, I guess. In W@W, Nita and Sker'et keep seeming to fall on each other, and Sker'et keeps saying that that will make tham a lot closer. I am not that enthusiastic, and that could have been humor to release tension, but what if it kept happening? (assuming Sker'et is in this book)
              "And on he went, out of sight in unhurried grace; the true dark angel, the unfallen Destroyer, the Pale slayer who never really dies -- seeking for pain to end." Deep Wizardry, page 355 Listen, and I'll tell you a story... of the wind in the trees, and the sun, the moon and the stars... of all of Earth dancing

Comment

• Why the YW series is a coming of age story? Sure! Nita and Kit have changed a lot over the course of the eight books (or nine, if you've read the first four chapters!) and these changes aren't necessarily to do with the base personalities. Nita is still a spitfire with a temper and Kit's the insouciant stabilising force (what a combination there!). What's changed about them is that they've grown a lot more comfortable with who they are, regardless of what their peers think of them. In the first book, Nita is utterly miserable at the treatment she receives at her peers, whereas in the later books, it's not that big a deal for her. That's why I think it's a coming of age story -- we can literally see Nita and Kit (and their friends!) grow up and grow into themselves, with wizardry as their aid.

This brings me to Dairine and Roshaun! In a sense. I don't ... really think that Dairine is too young for Roshaun in the sense that Dairine is Roshaun's very first friend and sometimes friendships transcend age. Do I think they're in a romantic relationship? Not so much. I kind of think that Roshaun is an incredibly lonely boy and that he values his friendship with Dairine -- being the only friendship he has -- so highly that he's willing to save her planet simply because he wants to. And not because he has to.

Whether there's a possibility for something else in the future will have to involve a lot more time on DD's part, I think, in order to make it work. I don't want to say "something more" because I ... kind of think that the friendships the YW characters have with one another transcend the usual boundaries of friendship or boyfriend and girlfriend.

But hey, who knows? Part of coming of age is falling in and out of love with people, so we might see Dairine crushing on Roshaun or vice versa in a later book.

...so why not Ronan/Carmela, anyway? I've been wanting to ask for months.

Comment

• Nights Mistress: Well, i still don't think of it as much of a coming-of-age story, as though the characters are growing up, it doesn't seem to be centralized in the books, and they already have magic, so i guess that I am confused about what they would be coming-of-age for. I guess it could be just growing into themselves, and who they are, but I think that the story still isn't centralized around that.
                  and I think that the Dairine/Roshaun ship is OK. I mean, I think that even if Roshaun was just a lonely person, he firted with Dairine a little to much, and vice versa.
                  Though I agree with you on the fact that they all seem to be "more than" your usual boyfriend/girlfriend relationships. way more. And I think Roshaun was willing to save Earth because of Dair, and because he is a wizard, and so it's his duty to.

And NO CARMELA/RONAN! because I like Ronan's character a bit, and I don't really like Carmela's as much (She's OK, I just don't like her as much) and Carmela has to many boyfriends and isn't really serious enough for him. And I doubt that they have that many common interests, and I think that overall she just isn't right for him. and he doesn't seem to be very atracted to her at all so far. and I think she focuses to much on how he looks and not on how /who he really is. I also think he and Nita still have some sort of relationship, and I will be really unhappy if he ends it for Carmela. I actually don't really know who i prefer Nita to be with, but i know for sure that I want her and Kit to remain parteners. and that seems to be meaning having some sort of relationship. there are actually more reasons, but i don't really want to bore you with them here. and I think that i have covered some of the main points.

NO CARMELA/RONAN!!!!

Comment

• Hmm, a coming of age story isn't about turning a certain age and then being able to do something, otherwise we'd have a whole lot of stories based around people being legally allowed to vote and drink. It's typically a story telling the transition of a character from childhood to adulthood, and the changes and refinements they undergo along the way. As such, the YW series does fit into the category of a coming of age story because Nita and Kit go from bullied and alienated pre-teens to confident and capable wizards who have stood down the Lone Power on a regular basis. It's this evolution that makes it a coming of age story because it's the chronicling of Nita and Kit's journeys through wizardry and how it shapes them. Although each individual story is an action-adventure story, together it shows the development of the characters.

In regards to Roshaun, yes, as a wizard he has a duty to intervene when he can. However, I feel that DD meant that there was something a lot more complex going on there. Roshaun is a character whose entire life has been focused on duty and in particular a duty to die if necessary to save his planet -- regardless of how much his subjects fear and loathe him. As such, when he turns to Dairine and replies that he helped her with the intervention "because [he] didn't have to", it's not out of duty that he does it. He's not duty-bound to do anything. He's been permitted to choose something, and that's a great gift indeed. It's no wonder that Dairine and his relationship is complicated -- she exposes him to ideas and concepts he would never have encountered back home! It makes you wonder what's going to happen if they find Roshaun and how he's going to be changed as a result of this, and how Dairine's huge influence on him is going to affect his future development. And let's face it, they do affect one another! The question is whether it's that they're future romantic interests or future wizardry partners or something else entirely.

I'm just wondering, but I can't ... really find anywhere in the text that explicitly states that wizardry partners = romantic relationship. I know that Nita's aunt had a partner but that they drifted apart later in life, Ronan's partner happened to be in his head ... I wonder if DD meant to say that wizardry partners and romantic partners can be the same but also can be unrelated? After all, I like Kit and Nita and how they mesh together as partners, but I think I'd really be uninterested as them as romantic partners because it would alter the dynamic entirely and not necessarily for the better.

Just out of curiousity, but which moments in Wizards at War did you mean in regards to Nita and Ronan? I'm quite fond of the idea of them but I must have missed the clues there!

Comment

• I think that Dari does like Ro but she doesn't realize it yet because she is so young. Which could be why they argue all the time, and Ro just doesn't understand how to take it so he argues back. they are pretty much the same personality, and very independent. Good for each other. When she is old i think it would be awesome if they got together because age is just a number. But that young not just yet.
                      I'm just sayin'!

Comment

• I think that Dair understands a little. That is why she was so upset at the end of W@W. She probably doesn't realize it consiously or completly. I don't think that Rosaun is the type of personality to argue back for lack of soething better - more for frustration or something.

I think that they definately could be together, but in my opinion, I like them as really close friends - in many of my books if something turns into someting it may be superficial. I trust DD though.

edited for typos - probably many more than what I removed - taking spanish has completely messed up my spelling
                        "And on he went, out of sight in unhurried grace; the true dark angel, the unfallen Destroyer, the Pale slayer who never really dies -- seeking for pain to end." Deep Wizardry, page 355 Listen, and I'll tell you a story... of the wind in the trees, and the sun, the moon and the stars... of all of Earth dancing

Comment

• I think she might have realized it completley by the very end. As horridly steroetype as it sounds, having someone you love suddenly disappera from your life really DOES make you realize exactly how much you are going to miss them, and why.
                          I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.
                          For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

• I think that Dair realized some of it, but not all. I think she WOULD have realized all of her feelings had she known that he died. but I don't think that she (and I) believe he is dead. Otherwise, he would be in Timeheart. So, she hasn't REALLY lost him; therefore she doesn't know for sure how she feels about him.

Comment

• It might be one of those things were, when he finally does show up again, Dair will not be able to control her emotion and we will really see... Or will she play it off like Nita does when she is intered in someone and dump their drink in his lap... so to speak
                              I'm just sayin'!

Comment

• I'd say that she couldn't possibly be feeling what she must have felt when he disappered, and she was uncertain of his fate, without making the connection and figuring out why she felt that way...
                                But people tend to delude themselves when they don't want to be in love, or even when they do. Perhaps especially when they do, if they aren't, but that isn't exactly pertinent to this. :P

She'll have to figure things out eventually, though.
                                I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.
                                For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

Working...
                                X