No announcement yet.

Shippiness/Romance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think that Dairine has discovered her full feelings for Roshaun, otherwise she wouldn't have been so chopped up at the end of the book. However, I'm positive that he's not dead. He's just..... been blown into smithereens.
    I can create a world, out of letters and words. I can make you believe something in a paragraph. I can make you love someone in a page. I can make you go places that don't exist in a book. That's all the magic I need. [url]http://melpomene.freeforums

Comment

• I think Dairine did pretty much reaize she loved him in the end, especially with that necklace - That might or might not have tied in exactly, but didn't she cry when she looked at it more closely? Even if Dairine didn't realize in what way she cares about them, she does know how much she cares.

I don't think Roshaun is dead, if nothing else, I dont think DD would have included his absence in Timeheart if he was.
      "And on he went, out of sight in unhurried grace; the true dark angel, the unfallen Destroyer, the Pale slayer who never really dies -- seeking for pain to end." Deep Wizardry, page 355 Listen, and I'll tell you a story... of the wind in the trees, and the sun, the moon and the stars... of all of Earth dancing

Comment

• Yeah, I would LOVE to know what the necklace said...I have boundless ideas, but I want to know what the Speech writing said, especially since Roshaun made such a big deal out of her keeping it in W@W.
        Books may well be the only true magic---Alice Hoffman

Comment

• I wonder if the necklace was a message from Ro...or some way to find him? Or maybe something totally unrelated that states something about herself, about how she loved him.
          Dif-tor heh smusma.

Comment

• Regardless of what it said, we know it's going to be a plot point later; why the suspense, if not? Potentially the Moon thing as well.

I don't think that the age difference (whatever it may be, precisely) is really an issue here. For one thing, they seem to have mutually agreed on how they're going to proceed for the time being; that at the moment, they are too young, and that while the "just" in "'just' good friends" bothers them, that that's how it's going to be for right now. Yes, I think they have quite the potential for a developing relationship, but all that depends on what shape Roshaun is in when he returns!

Emotionally and mentally I think they're at the same stage of maturity. The lifespan difference could become more of an issue, but I think that both of them have thought about that and kept it in the backs of their minds, and will deal with it when it comes.

For right now, the two of them are just "it's complicated" on Facebook.
            - - -

"All right, bugger all that," said Nanny. "Let's curse somebody."
            -Terry Pratchett

Comment

• I don't know if they've thought about it...By the time Dairine accepted that she loved him, if she has, he was already (potentially) dead. She wouldn't be thinking of his lifespan at that point, for anything other than "he had so many more years to live." Of course, I don't think he is dead, but if faced with the possibility that my friend had just died, I doubt the thing on my mind would be, "Hmm...I wonder how long he/she could have lived if not for dying."

Before that, she wouldn't have allowed herself to wonder, because it would open to many questions about her feelings for him.
              I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.
              For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

• 1. This isn't a spoiler is it? What if someone comes in by accident and it spoils it for them? I think we should all be whiting out like the FAQs say to.
                2. On topic: I don't think Dairine is too young for Roshaun at all. My parents are eight years apart. It may be a small difference compared to Dairine and Roshaun, but they still seem perfect for each other.
                3. I am finally posting in the books section!
                4. Shouldn't Roshaun have a different abbreviation than Ro? Ronan also starts with Ro, so it makes no sense.
                5. I hope Dairine will be able to find Roshaun because the necklace that changed colors to fit our sun's color became Dairine's. It seems too sad to me that it would become hers after he dies.(Supposedly) Didn't he try to give her the necklace also in that book? So it makes sense that he was just giving it to her. I am keeping up hope that she will find him.
                Last edited by Garrett Fitzgerald; December 3, 2008, 11:22:20 AM. Reason: Fixed spoiler tagging

Comment

• No, I don't think whiting out is practical, here, given how old this thread is. But I've gone ahead and retitled it to take the basic spoiler out of the title of the thread.

The basic assumption is that when you're in the forum for a book you've read that book and all the ones preceding it. So, WaW spoilers are ok in the WaW forum. But should be whited out in or the thread title marked in, say, the High Wizardry forum. It's only if you're going to mention, say, stuff from a specific chapter from A Wizard of Mars in this thread, that you need to white out. >D

Given that this thread is in the WaW forum, it's ok to assume everybody's read the book already. If someone comes in here without having read the book, they're probably already pretty sure they're likely to get the book spoiled for them.
                  New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

• I have been thinking about the age thing, and have taken this view.

In "Song of the Lioness" quartet, Alanna is 7 yrs younger then George.

In the "Wild Magic" quartet, Daine is 13 when she meets Numair, who is 30.

Aly is 17, while Nawat Crow is 1 yr, but he looks 18 or 19.

"Will of the Emperess", Briar is 18, Evvy is 14.

And, oh yes...
                    Cohen the Barbarian is 87, While Bethle is 17. That is wierd.
                    “I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book.”
                    -Groucho Marx

Comment

• I don't ever recall Briar having feelings for Evvy like Dairine and Roshaun do. With Briar and Evvy it was more like a big brother and sibling relationship or parent and child. Unless I've missed something. It's been a while since I've read the book. But I think that Dairine and Roshaun's situation is different when it comes to the age thing.
                      Writing is nice, but you have to live in the real world sometimes.-Me 09/06/07
                      Writing is an art, and words are like colors.

Comment

• In my opinion, Ronan is okay, but not the complete ideal for Nita. He might have been in AWAb, but now Nita's changed. Plus, he's two years older, which might cause problems. In the best of situations with Nita and Ronan is that they will get together for a while in AWOM, and then when Kit gets questionable (see http://www.youngwizards.com/A-Wizard-Of-Mars to catch my meaning) they will break up, and then later on Kit and Nita will finally get together. But that's just my guess of the scheme of things.

Now, with Roshaun and Dairine, things are a bit more complicated. Well, not really, just complicated in other ways... First, Dairine will have to find him, then they will have to work the kinks out if they are actually serious about a relationship. First of all, many people have wondered about the age difference problem. Well, I believe that Dairine is 11 now. I'm 11, and I like someone, so the liking part is okay-ish for them. The problem is the age of Roshaun. We don't know his age, and if we did, we don't know how the Wellakh humanoids aging relates to Earth. He could be 1200 ears old, and that could be only equivalent to being 12. But then comes the matter of the aging in relation to; if they do get together for a long period of time, like getting married, then how is that going to affect the relationship? Dairine might be old, and Roshaun practically the same age as he was in WH. Or it could be the opposite. Roshaun could be 25, and Dairine 22, and Roshaun would be equivalent to 100, and dead. So, if the lived here, how would they explain it? Or if they went to Wellakh, how would they see Nita and everybody. Because that worldgate that Roshaun got for vacation won't stay forever. That could mean that gating back and forth would probably become impossible. Then the problem of the governing of Wellakh, because I'm sure Dairine wouldn't want to continue the government situation they have now. Plus, in WAW, Nelaid says something about Dairine possibly trying to take over Wellakh "by straight forward conquest, or more intimate means..." So the people of Wellakh might not take to Dairine to well either.

That's just some of the problems, and I've got to go.
                        "at least i thought it was a wall. It sure felt like one. It was hard, it was flat. It stretched out on either side of me. You know... wall." -Bobby Pendragon

Comment

• Originally posted by windchild View Post
                          I'm sick of this Dairine/Roshaun thing..dude she's only like eleven or twelve, and he's a teenager in earth years since Carmela liked him....I'm sorry but I think that pairing is just gross.

I looked some stuff up and found that Nita is fourteen in W@W, and Dairine is two years younger than her according to their bios on this site, making her twelve. Just so there's no confusion over the ages.

[Simplified thread title --kli]
                          I'm pretty sure they're older than that. Nita was 13 in SYWTBAW and Dairine was 11 in HW. W@W is five books later and there's usually a good amount of time between each book. (Wizard's Dilemma and A Wizard Alone for example are at least a few months apart as Nita's mom had died in-between them.)

Comment

• Here there be spoilers. (Mostly for AWoM.)

. . .

I think the Dairine/Roshaun ship is even more complicated than just the age/species thing. (And not to mention Roshaun being, well, gone. For the moment.) There was some talk in AWoM about Dairine possibly being taraenshlev' (Was that how you spelled it?) What I got from that was that Nita was saying that she had mentally been "meant" for Wellakh but her soul had "taken a wrong turn" and ended up on Earth instead. The mechanics haven't been explained (yet), but that would make things both a lot easier and a lot harder. There was also the thing with the matching hair between Dairine and Nelaid, and Nelaid comparing her to his brother in personality. With these clues, I'm sure it's got to be going somewhere.

I can see that Dairine/Roshaun will be extremely complicated and there's not any actual evidence that they'll end up together, but there's no denying they have a relatively close relationship, friendship or otherwise.

And Dair being eleven as of AWoM . . . I'm not even sure how that happened.

Comment

• Dai Stiho LifeSong!

Funny story actually. They don't age as much as they appear to. The jumps in maturity and technology seem to fool us fans well. I think Dair was NINE when she went through her ordeal, really young for a wizard. I thought maybe she was 12 or 13 by aWoM (Roshaun seems so much older than her, which can be an odd spot for shippers), and then Nita and Kit were 14 and 15, putting Ronan at 16. That's how I THINK it has gone. I would love for there to be an "official" timeline by Miss Duane, or a fan with some time on their hands to go back and find some quotes and such for us!
                              ^(^.^)^

Comment

• Yeah, I think they're still working on the timeline . . .

Either Nita or Dairine really was thinking about Roshaun's age, at some point in WaW; one of them either said "he couldn't be much older than Nita or Kit" or "he couldn't be much older than Ronan", in earth years . . . I forget which; I should find a copy of WaW and look for it. But it was one of those two.

And if Dairine really *is* 11 in AWoM . . . the age difference would be about 4-6 years. Pretty big, especially at that age; but if you take into account the taraenshlev' issue it could make things either simpler or more complicated.

But once you get older, 4-6 years really isn't a big deal. It's just that Dairine is only a preteen right now, and that makes it ~*holy awkward*~ to think about putting her in a relationship. Which is why I feel odd explaining Dairine/Roshaun to my friends, because they always get really weirded out. Oh, well . . .

Comment

Working...
                                X