Nita and Kit...Yes or no??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As quoted already:

"... and as for Kit, the thought crossed Dairine's mind that it was a pity Nita had a claim on him. It's the light, of course, she thought; it wouldn't last. But it was kind of a shame."

And that is the *exact* quote that started me off on this bizarre little unconventional shipper tangent Back in the Day. I'm with Mad King Soup V- you *go* Dairine!

Heh heh heh....so nice to see I'm not alone in this madness....

Elizabeth
    "You come in here, you die. Then you will be fired. RR"- from one of my new favorite fics, "What a Tangled Web We Weaver" by Merrymime.

"Demon spawn but love the accent."- Birdhead, re: Ronan.

Comment

ALL RIGHT ALREADY!! Jeez, girls and their Giggling...

I'm EIGHTEEN and I'm complaining about girls! You two must have hit a nerve or something.
      What is it about Irish guys? I don't get it. You know what, I'm just gonna stop right where I am, because I'll never understand women, and sitting here thinking about what the HECK is going on here for ten minutes is not going to work.

--Dai Stihó

When we hear a fantastic claim we say, "that's nice, prove it."
      - Michael Schermer, Skeptic Society

I'm gonna apoligize again for how often I post. And also for how long my sig is, because I just LOVE THIS THING. Also, I fear i'm getting too deep for people, and if you want to keep the discussion light and airy, then feel free to shut me up by saying: "Oh, NO, Rysade's gonna go PHILOSOPHICAL again!"

Comment

Giggling? Giggling? Who's giggling?? Well, they might be giggling, but I would never giggle about Ronan, rest assured. As for Irish guys- it's the accent, really. Just, the accent. Just... ah, forget it. However, you may have noticed hordes of giggling fangirls hanging around the HP Netverse (or Real Life) gushing about whoever it is who plays Oliver Wood? Same syndrome- it's the accent. Is this helping your insight into the feminine psyche? Somehow I doubt it...

Hmm... your sig changes. Is it just me, or did it change in the last two seconds? One moment *Tui wanders off to check something out* Ah, no, it's not just me- unless you are in the habit of typing your sig out, the forum saves sigs instead of changing them as they change within the profile. Actually, since replies-with-quote have the sig as part of the quote, I think that makes sense (Well, to me)...

Ka Kite
        Tui

PS: No need to apologise for posting often, or for being philosophical. Philosophy is good.
        PPS: Don't eighteen- actually, any teen- year old boys spend most of their time complaining, or at least talking, about girls about girls? Anyway, that's what I've heard...
        PPS: Long sigs are good. Hey, mine is four lines of utterly irrelevant stuff only I get!
        T

Tuibird in Aotearoa
        Conservationist, Scientist, and proud of both!
        Chocolate lover extraordinaire... mmmmyummmm
        IT'S SUMMER!! WOOHOO!
        My mission: Bringing Maori to the world!
        Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

Yup, I am converted. Dari and Kit all the way. Hmm . . . la la la.

As for Ronan, I think if he hung around Nita for long enough, they would be good influences on each other. Nita keeps Ronan from getting too mad at the world and she's not afraid to go TALK to him and work things out!

Why Irish? Definitely the accent. Or British! Maybe Scottish too. It must be. After all, what does else does Sean Biggerstaff (Oliver Wood) have going for him besides that? I don't like him much, but could listen to his voice all day.

Yours till the bed spreads,
          Rowen Avalon
          mysites/ravensiggys/constitutionality
          Rowen Avalon

"I told you she was going to turn you into a soggy beermat. No one ever listens to me." - Jonny, AWAb (My fav moment!)
          "IB helps you with stress management. It throws all this stress at you and says, 'Manage it!' Then you have your b

Comment

Well, I can't say about Irish guys, but girls with Irish accents certainly do it for me, add some long red hair... err, yeah... anyway...

That said, I didn't really like Ronan all that much, I'm with Birdhead on that one. Too grumpy. Nita gets annoyed too easily as it is, so I think she needs someone a bit more easy-going.

Comment

Riiiiiiight. You know, I'm scared now. Very scared.

"If you can't find the key to happiness, pick the lock"

Comment

Originally posted by EWizard11:
                Nita and Kit...should they be going out?

*Ella*
                I think its nice seeing girl + boy as friends

Comment

I'm back to add some more to the subject. A K/D relationship? Hmm...interesting.

And Rysade, the Irish accent is definitely hot. That's why we girls love Irish accents. They're just hot. So are Australian accents. And French. (Personally, I don't like British, but any other accent is hot.)

Somebody go on Fanfiction.Net and write a K/D fic! I'd read it!

AML,
                  A Moonlighting X-Phile
                  <If all good things must come to an end - than numbers are not our friend!>
                  <WARNING: I cannot be help responsible for the above, as apparently my cats have learned how to type.>
                  <'Men will fight bravely and be heroes, but for a last ditch defense against any odds, get a mother.' You should recognize that one!>
                  And as I sit and talk to you, I see your face go white
                  This shadow hanging over me is no trick of the light
                  This spectre on my back shall soon be free
                  The dead have come to claim a debt from thee
                  --The Pogues--

Comment

hmm... I suppose I could. I being GoldenRed Phoenixia of fanfiction.net, anyway. Well, it a stray from my usual one-shots and originals... I'll consider it.

Of course, it'll probably be angsty and a one-shot.

"If you can't find the key to happiness, pick the lock"

Comment

If "going out" means "making out", then of course Nita and Kit aren't going out.

But if it means having someone who means the whole world to you and sharing your life with him or her, then the only reason we say they aren't going out is because "kids" don't go out. The same logic proves kids don't conquer the world (sorry Alexander), or get drafted into wars, or work in factories to feed their parents and siblings, or write books that get published, yet kids have done all of these things.

Suppose: (a) you care deeply for someone, (b) you were pretty much a loner before that, (c) you work together as a team on things that tear your heart apart sometimes and fill you with amazement other times, (d) you share thoughts (I'm married, and I know what that's like: it's weird, even when you do it the old fashioned way where you know someone so well you know what they are going to say or do), and (e) you are in each other's dreams having the same dream together. From the point of view of a reader in his 40's, Kita and Nita's friendship looks a lot like a marriage.

I know, what about... ? The only mention of sex I remember was in Deep Wizardry when the parents were worried about what the two kids were doing, and even that was hard to notice. There have been crushes and Ronan and jealousy and I think I remember a kiss or two, maybe I imagined it. No romance, no relationship?

I don't buy that. From the other side of the divide between "not old enough yet" and "really old," I can see Kit and Nita have a relationship as important as any marriage, even it never turns romantic. It's one they may remember as closer than any other in their lives years later, even if they live far away from each other and lose touch.

In much of the world in the 21st century, marriage is for grown ups, I mean, for old people, over 30 or something drastic. ;-) Teenagers have crushes and fall in love; twenty-somethings hook up, then live together. Committment is for later. Plenty of people fall in love and share lives with one another without marrying, and some claim there's no commitment even while they live one.

Wizards can't do that. They learn not to lie, and it becomes harder and harder to lie.

So if Nita and Kit have romantic feelings for each other more than fleeting thoughts, they'll tell each other. And if they both have those feelings they'll go out. Because they won't be able to lie to each other about their feelings successfully. Which is why their friendship is like a marriage already.

An inability to lie won't save them from grief though. The other way their friendship is like marriage is how deeply they can hurt each other when they don't understand each other.

My $0.02, not sure what that is in euros ...

Pat
                      "Caminante no hay camino. / Se hace camino al andar." (Walker, there is no road. You make the road by walking.) -- Antonio Machado
                      "A wild patience has taken me this far." -- Adrienne Rich

Comment

OK, got irresistably drawn to this discussion ... Personally I'm a romantic, and I simply adore the idea of Kit and Nita falling in love, but I don't mind either if they stayed friends. I'm really not into Ronan though, although he is a very interesting character. My best friend is a guy, so platonic relationships with the opposite sex is possible. But I guess the main theme in the series is the strong frendship between Nita and Kit, so as long as that keeps up I'm a happy bunny (or rowan tree, in this case ).

Etharei

<em>"You are talking to a fan of LOTR, SW, HP and last but definitely not least, YW; acronyms will save the world one day."</em>- purely me
                        "You are talking to a fan of LOTR, SW, HP and last but definitely not least, YW; acronyms will save the world one day."- purely me

Comment

Dear A Moonlighting X-Phile --

I think that people think two people of the opposite sex can't be best friends without being bf/gf because it's confusing -- confusing the same way two people of the same sex being gf/gf or bf/bf is.

The world is simpler when people are predictable, so we pretend people are predictable. This is kind of like abbreviating everyone's names in The Speech though. Say you added "predictable" to someone's name in The Speech. (I kind of doubt The Speech _has_ a word for predictable.) You would destroy who they really are.

I like it that Nita and Kit are, as you write, "free to be close friends and work partners without going all sappy, kiss-me, she's-holding-my-hand-what-does-that-mean?" But there's no predicting who they each may become, no knowing who each may discover she or he already is.

When Nita says she's glad they've avoided "all the romance stuff has been going around school," why does she think that? I can think of several reasons any of which could be true. In fact _all_ of them could be true at the same time:

1. Nita is really glad they aren't bf/gf because it would mess up their friendship.
                          2. Nita thinks about being bf/gf with Kit in the back of her mind and it scares her, so she doesn't think about it consciously and doesn't know what she feels about it.
                          3. Nita wants them to be bf/gf, is scared (remember both of thems were outcasts, wierdos) of losing her best friend, and tells herself she doesn't want them to be bf/gf.

Somebody I've read -- I think it is Don Juan, the shaman in Carlos Castaneda's books -- talks about "really looking" at a rabbit as "not knowing what way the rabbit will jump." When you think you know which way the rabbit will jump, you aren't seeing the rabbit.

Whether they become lovers or spouses or not someday, I hope Kit and Nita's friendship grows with them and deepens their whole long lives . But if I knew it did, the books would not be nearly as exciting to read.

-- Pat

[QUOTE]Originally posted by A Moonlighting X-Phile:
                          Basically my original post to this thread was lost apparently...anyway.
                          I don't think Kit and Nita should get together romantically. As an X-Phile (see my name), I'm a whole-hearted shipper, but when people think that two kids, particularly teenagers, can't be best friends without being bf/gf, it annoys me. That's part of what I like about the YW series - Nita and Kit are free to be close friends and work partners without going all sappy, kiss-me, she's-holding-my-hand-what-does-that-mean?
                          Nita even talks about it in one of the books - HW, I think - she says all the romance stuff has been going around school, but she doesn't want to be any more than Kit's close friend and partner.
                          "Caminante no hay camino. / Se hace camino al andar." (Walker, there is no road. You make the road by walking.) -- Antonio Machado
                          "A wild patience has taken me this far." -- Adrienne Rich

Comment

Originally posted by Birdhead:

PS: No need to apologise for posting often, or for being philosophical. Philosophy is good.
                            PPS: Don't eighteen- actually, any teen- year old boys spend most of their time complaining, or at least talking, about girls about girls? Anyway, that's what I've heard...
                            PPS: Long sigs are good. Hey, mine is four lines of utterly irrelevant stuff only I get!
                            T

Tuibird in Aotearoa
                            Chocolate lover extraordinaire... mmmmyummmm
                            IT'S SUMMER!! WOOHOO!
                            Hey, BH (do you mind if I call you BH? I like philosopy (see Zen reference below).
                            I am just now feeling like I want to start seeing people. Yikes! To quote Counting Crows: "I just wish I had known to go out walking in the sun"(All My Friends)
                            My sigs are equally incomprehensible sometimes, I suppose. I like to change 'em. Keep people on their toes, you know?

Originally posted by Pat I.:

Somebody I've read -- I think it is Don Juan, the shaman in Carlos Castaneda's books -- talks about "really looking" at a rabbit as "not knowing what way the rabbit will jump." When you think you know which way the rabbit will jump, you aren't seeing the rabbit.
                            Oooh, very Zen.

About Nita an Kit: I don't think they need to get into the kind of relationships that the kids in school have. Most of that stuff is just side effects of trying to get to know people better, to decide if you like them. Kit and Nita are already comfortable with each other. Of course, they would become uncomfortable if the situation ever became physical in any way, and then the whole thing would be the typical bf/gf being shy thing. Oh, and I am definitely not qualified to be talking about this. I'm much too antisocial and much to tired to be able to say much of anything worthwhile on this subject I think, but WHAT THE HEY, I might get lucky.

--Dai Stihó

Time for some pessimistic song lyrics!

Today's lyrics:
                            ---------------------
                            The pattern still remains on the wall where darkness fell.
                            And it's fitting that it should, for in darkness I must dwell.
                            Like the color of my skin or the day that I grow old,
                            My life is made of patterns that can scarecly be controlled.

Comment

I LOVE that song.
                              "The night is setting softly, with the hush of falling leaves
                              Casting shimmering shadows on the houses through the trees.
                              Impaled on my wall, my eyes can dimly see
                              The pattern of my life and the puzzle that is me."
                              ka Kite
                              Tui

Tuibird in Aotearoa
                              Chocolate lover extraordinaire...
                              *sob* back to school....*sob*

Comment

The above post was incomplete due to sudden school-bell-ringing.
                                I have indeed noticed your changing sigs- some of the lyrics are cool. i know some of them, especially the Simon and Garfunkel ones (I love what Paul Simon writes, or rather wrote, as I haven't heard any of his later albums- mostly the ones through the 60s and 70s and 80. Patterns is very cool.)

Oh, and on the topic of getting sleep-
                                "From here to there to everywhere
                                and back to Union Square
                                where do I get some sleep?
                                Anywhere the sleepdust lies
                                that decorates your eyes
                                Where will I get some sleep?
                                Stranded in June
                                Whistleing my favourite tune
                                But I do believe I might having fun..."
                                -Bic Runga "Get Some Sleep" Just popped into my I really think you should consider getting some sleep, as your lack of sleep seems to be preying on your mind!
                                Ka Kite
                                Tui
                                Ps- no I don't mind if you call me BH. Or you could try Tui. I don't care...

Tuibird in Aotearoa
                                Chocolate lover extraordinaire...
                                *sob* back to school....*sob*

[This message was edited by Birdhead on 18 February 2003 at 21:01.]

Comment

Working...
                                X