No announcement yet.

What first got you into the YW series?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really needed a book for school... so I picked up one on one of the shelves at Borders and bought it. (That book ended up being SYWTBAW)

Have an issue get a tissue!!--Steph C.
    Kisses taste like chicken-- Absoulutely Normal Chaos...sharon creech
    penguins will rule the world.

Comment

My friend and I were reading one lunchtime at school about three, four years ago now. I think I was reading Lords and Ladies (one of the Discworlds) and she was reading High Wizardry. She left to go get something and I picked her copy of HW and started to read it. I was only about two pages into it when she came back and pointed out that it was the third one. She lent me SYWTBAW the next day and I read all of the up to Abroad. I got the first five for Christamas 2002 and found out about this site shortly afterwards - but I didn't join the Forum for nearly a year.

Welcome to Rivendell, Mr Anderson :: Agent Elrond

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning. Where the sea's asleep and rivers dream. People made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on Ace, we've got work to do. :: The Doctor, (Doctor Who - Survival, 1989)
      Last edited by Garrett Fitzgerald; December 4, 2008, 04:04:42 PM. Reason: fixing dbcs

Comment

I have a feeling i have posted this before, but here goes.
        I first came across the YW series in about year 9 (age 13) at secondry school, in the school library. They had Deep and High, which I read and enjoyed. Sometime after that (memory is hazy), I tracked down SYWTBAW, and read that. I didn't realise that there were any others out there - after all, High didn't seem to leave anything unifinished in a major way. That was the end of me and YW for years.
        I then came across Abroad in the sixth form (age 17), I think via my elder sister. From that I found out about Dilemma, but wasn't able to track down a copy.
        Whilst searching randomly on the internet around a year ago (see my date of registration, left), I cam across this site, and learnt of the exsistence of Alone, and theupcomign existence of of Holiday. I have only just (!) bought and read Alone and Dilemma, and at some point I will get round to buying Holiday.
        So, all in all, a rather piecemeal journey, abetted by ignorance of what YW books were out there.

"Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right" - Salvor Hadrin, in Isaac Asimov's Foundation
        "Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right" - Salvor Hadrin, in Isaac Asimov's Foundation

Comment

I think is was maybe 9 months to a year ago, and I was at a bookstore looking for a book to read. I scanned along the shelves and saw 'so you want to be a wizard' Since Im slightle (hehe) obsessive about all magic/fantasy books, I read the back immediatly and decided to buy it.

***ally***

"No...we named the monkey Jack"-pirates of the carribean
          "Not all who wander are lost"-JRR Tolkein
          and yes...I am slightly (hehe) crazy
          ***ally***
          Never try to eat a quesadilla while on the computer. Never. It is too gooey. I know this from experience.
          and yes...I am slightly (hehe) crazy

Comment

Oddly enough, it snagged my hand as I was looking through the kids section in a book store in Monteray, CA. No joke.
            My heart, my weapon, my money, my tool... Just a simple deck of cards

Comment

I am completely obsessed with magic and everything like it.

I use the local library a lot and when I was browsing the books.... There it was "So you want to be a wizard". Picking it up got me hooked and now I just have to find WAW in the library.

Comment

Hmmm...in fourth grade, my mom was making us go visit her friend's new house (which was the coolest house I've ever been in! Inside pool...) and it was about an hour away. So I went to the library and was looking for a book to read on the way there. I found AWA, and read it, and thought it was great, and forgot about it. In sixth grade I found SYWTBAW, and remembered that I'd read the fourth book awhile ago. Since then, I've been hooked. Hmmmm...I love these books.

-seabiscuit, a.k.a. hungry

Comment

In...what was it, 5th grade or soemthing, one of my friends at the time was telling me about the books and I got really interested: so I started reading them at the library. I got completely hooked and I needed to read llike every second I could, lol...So, I have read six out of 9 of them, btu I am hoping to get number 7 and 8 for my birthdya which i in like 9 days! lol, I love those books!

Comment

When we moved back to the States the summer before 6th grade (so, '97), there was little to do but go through the local library like locusts. One of the books I read happened to be SYWTBAW. That first book actually didn't make a big impression, but months later, after switching libraries, I read DW and HW in one night and was amazed. I've been following the series since.

Comment

I think I was probably hooked by the concept of wizardry and Duane's depiction of the alternate Manhattan. But probably mostly by the teamwork between Nita and Kit. It didn't hurt that I got the audio version of Deep Wizardry from the library and was driven to tears. I wasn't impressed with High Wizardry at first, but it's grown a lot on me. Didn't like A Wizard Abroad, but A Wizard's Dilemma made up for a good bit of that. A Wizard Alone was good, though I wasn't that impressed with A Wizard's Holiday, and Wizards at War was just plain awesome.

Just my take!
                      I solemnly swear I am up to no good...

Comment

Hey,
                        I was just looking at some books cause I went into Borders with my mom and it was my Grandmothers birthday and she has diabetes so my mom was gonna get her a book on diabetes...I was just looking and just kinda just saw it and was hey I want to be a Wizard and I went to ask my mom if I could get it but she said no cause my bro would want a book too and she didn't want to buy him one so i had to wait till my birthday so I waited till my birthday and we went to a diff borders and found the box set so I got the first 3 for my birthday and then found out that there was more and found the YW site from searching the borders site ( http://www.Borders.com ) for AWAb and that is how I came to the site...but then I went into chat and met Gryphon and Sharklord AKA Sharky. So that is how I got here and got the books...

I LOVE THIS SITE!!!!!!

Comment

Origionally posted by the origionator of this topic, a Gueast:
                          Now every single person in my family is a bookwork to some extent, but my dad's at the level where there are books he can't remember getting and he can't pass a bookstore without going in.
                          heh heh..been there, done that n my 12 years of life...

Ok, for my birthday, most of my friends got me Barnes & Nobles giftcards (big surprise). My Grandma and Grandpa gave me 50 bucks, too!

So the day I got my B&N money from my Grandma, we went straight to the nearest B&N. I saw some cool books there, including the first 3 YW series (all in that cartoon-ish version), and I was gponna buy it, but my Gram was looking skeptical...so, instead, I bought like 5 books (including FoxTrot )

So, a few days later (after my b-day purty), I went back to B&N. And this time, I bouht them! They just reached out at them, they looked sooo interesting, I couldn't help it!

So there is my almost uineventful story.

So far, I think 3,4 (bcause I'm irish (lol))7, and 8 r the best.

Woop woop!!
                          just let your heart take over and sign with a flourish

Comment

Lo these many years ago, probably 1986 or 1987, I was in an evening class that required two buses to get home. The second bus ran every 30 minutes, and if the first bus was even one minute late, I missed the connection and had to wait half an hour for the second bus. The intersection in question was Hollywood Blvd. and Vermont Avenue -- not a very savoury area -- so one evening I wandered into the grimy Woolworth's and was nosing through the paperback shelves. In a bin of 99 cent paperbacks was "So You Want To Be A Wizard".

I bought it to have something to read while I waited. 10 minutes later I was hooked. I found "DW" and "HW" in hardback versions not long after in an SF/fantasy bookstore in West Los Angeles, long since closed, and later found "Wizard in Ireland" (now "A Wizard Abroad") listed in the Science Fiction Book Guild.

I've read and reread the books, purchased them as gifts, recommended them to many readers, and recently replaced that original battered paperback "SYWTBAW" with the 20th anniversary edition. My daughter loaned the original to her cousin and it never came back but the new edition, with extra story, is great!
                            CPCU: Chartered Property Casualty Underwriter

Comment

i had read all of the books in the fantasy section of a library and one day i found so you want to be a wizard. i decided that i would read it. i was hooked instantly i had read it at least times that weekend. it is now my favorite book.
                              busy reading

Comment

Well, I first picked up SYWTBAW about three years ago on my way home from one of my infusions. There we'rent any new Star Wars books out at the time and the store didn't have the mew Tamora Pierce novel either, so I was pretty much out of luck, my mother having gone across the street to pick up something for dinner, I had about forty-five minutes to waste and decided some well earned mindless wandering was in order. I gave up on mindless wandering after about ten minutes though, I was far to irate for it and the scary looking goth wannabe was shooting me this evil looking eye from the sci-fi section so I didn't have much choice other than to retreat to the children's branch of the store.

I was looking at the Meg Cabot books when I saw the word 'Wizard' out of the corner of my eye, and of course I just had to pick it up. Being an obsessive Harry Potter fan, I will of course read anything if the title has the words 'wizard' or 'dragon' in the title. I was entranced as soon as I read the first page blurb. In Life's name, and for Life's sake... was all it took.

I left the store that day with a lovely copy of books one through three.

Comment

Working...
                                X