No announcement yet.

What first got you into the YW series?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What first got you into the YW series?

For me it started quite sometime ago (for my short life, that is), about six years ago. At that time I was seven years old and my oldest sister was about fifteen. She liked to read me books and I loved to hear them. One time she brought this strange book called So you want to be a Wizard? from the library or somemthing. From what I remembered, and it was a miracle I remembered anything, was that it started with a girl running away from some kids who wanted to beat her up, and she runs into a library (the ONLY actual line I remembered was when Nita runs in and slams the door and the librarian understands why she was running). She hides downstairs and finds a book called "So you want to be a Wizard." At first she thinks that it's a joke, but she checks it out and reads some of it. Somehow she becomes a wizard and some stuff happens and she meets some boy, I didn't remember anything about him except that he was a wizard a while before her. I remember that she talked to a tree and the tree was rather annoyed and scornful to humans in general. I also remembered a white hole named Fred. I remembered Fred very clearly becuase I have always loved quantum/theoretical physics and black holes and my sister basically just told my that he was the opposite of a black hole and therefore very very dense. I remembered that for some reason the fact that Fred's name was Fred was funny. I also remembered that my sister told me semi-jokingly that the whole book happens basically because this nameless girl lost her pen that her grandfather had given her that she always did well on tests with. Fred tries to get it but swallows it by accident. The only other thing I remembered was that they were on top of a building and walked on air.

Anyway, I was in Ohio for a week or so with some friends while my parents were in Germany. Now, I'm a huge computer geek and spend lots of time online, but these friends were country people and hardly used their comp (thank heavens they HAD a comp with E-mail), so I was bored a lot of the time. At one point we went to a library and I picked out a Calvin and Hobbes book I had already read and a tiny X-Files novel to see if it was any good. Now, I love to read, but I always have horribe trouble finding anything I like. I often spend times in libraries trying to remember books that I wanted to get at some time in my life. While I was thinking about this at the library, absolutelyout of the blue I recalled the long-lost memory of a strange book called "So you want to be a Wizard?" Now, I only remembered what I've already written, but I seriously had NOT thought about the book AT ALL since my sister read it to me (she never finished it).I found this really old-looking rather battered and beaten solitary copy of the book. It was hardcover without a dustjacket and had an illustration on the front that I have never seen since, even when looking online, and it is still my favorite. It's a picture of Nita and Kit (both with their wands) in the Dark World (or whatever it was called) climbing into the sewer pipe, with off in the not-so-distant distance a whole bunch of Perytons and, in the middle of them, very tall, holding his long metal rod and sitting on his eight-legged steed, Starsnuffer. After the title there is a large star and there is a star before every chapter title. Anyone else seen this version?

Well, I read it, and... it's not just a great plot. It's not just a great story. I actually cared about these characters and think that they are some of the more realistic to ever grace the pages of a book. This book remains still, not only my favorite YW or DD book, my favorite book of all. It's indescribable. I practically cryed when Fred died. I'm thirteen! I'm a boy! I NEVER cry!

Ah, look what this has driven me too? Rambling! Shame on me! Anyway. Anyone else?

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh. I have been called a hundred names and will be called a
    thousand more before the world goes dim and cold. I am hero.

My story's a lot more simple than that- though I am familiar with books-you've-been-read syndrome. But as for SYWTBAW, I picked it up in the library halfway through last year, and loved it. *shrugs* nowhere near so complicated...
    T

Tuibird in Aotearoa
    Conservationist, Scientist, and proud of both!
    Chocolate lover extraordinaire...
    Ahahahaha, ahahahahaha, ahahahaha...
    My mission: Bringing Maori to the world!
    Spelling Freak and Typo Queen
    Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

I got it at the Hal Price Books Store and I was at the part where they just got across the air passage and the peryton's attack and then I lost the book then I found it again two days later after endless searching then I finshed it and wanted to read the otherones because it was really good.

I LOVE White Tigers and Wolves!I read to much and have been waiting more than 5 monthes to read A Wizard Alone.Pirates of the Caribbean is an AWESOME movie!Harry Potter Books are REALLY Good ask me any question about it I think I would know the answer.People say I have an accent when I leave Wisconsin do you think I do*gets various hurtful spells ready inside mind* WELL DO YOU!
      I have difficulties with Gravity.

Comment

I bought SYWTBAW when it first came out pretty much because it had Diane Duane's name on the cover, and I was buying anything that had her name on the cover. This is because I loved Door Into Fire. If you're tired of waiting for YW, may I humbly suggest hunting down DD's STAR TREK novels, starting with My Enemy, My Ally and The Wounded Sky?
        New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

I had seen it in a library several times, and once I jsut got up the enrve and got it. I had to hide it from my mom, but I was sooo hooked on it. I proceeded to skip deep wizardry and go on to high and abroad. I only recently read deep, dilemma, and alone. I have all of them except alone right now...

~Rad

O'Reiley:If the good Lord...
          Fawlty:Is mentioned once more I will bring you closer to him!
          -Fawlty Towers, The Builders (not exact quote)

"You were meant to live large
          C'mon take charge
          Let's go light the world up
          Let's not wait until the end
          To be the things we wished we'd been
          You were meant to live life
          C'mon let's fly
          You're a Super Trouper spotlight
          We're going to jump on the count of three
          Here it comes now
          1 2 3 Jump!"
          -Superchic[k], Super Trouper

*Dai'Stiho*
          ~Rachel

Comment

quote: I LOVE White Tigers and Wolves!I read to much and have been waiting more than 5 monthes to read A Wizard Alone.Pirates of the Caribbean is an AWESOME movie!Harry Potter Books are REALLY Good ask me any question about it I think I would know the answer.People say I have an accent when I leave Wisconsin do you think I do*gets various hurtful spells ready inside mind* WELL DO YOU!
            You have excellent taste.

quote: I bought SYWTBAW when it first came out pretty much because it had Diane Duane's name on the cover, and I was buying anything that had her name on the cover.
            I can relate. I was in Oregon for a family reunion a few months ago... and we spent some time just driving around, looking at things, of course. Now every single person in my family is a bookwork to some extent, but my dad's at the level where there are books he can't remember getting and he can't pass a bookstore without going in. So, we were in Oregon, and my dad was driving and we saw this little shop called "Bob's Books" or something. It was absolutely picturesque. There were books everywhere, not really messy but just cluttered. All very good prices. Though you probably wouldn't find many newer things there, you find all these really rare really really old books that you thought you'd never see again there (though there was a newer Star Wars Amazing Cross Sections book in great condition that usually went for something like twenty or twenty-five buck for about eight dollars). The only person who worked there was Bob himself, and he alone new where everything (not exaggerating) was. There were also piles and stacks of books behind the counter. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanyway, this was right after I had read SYWTBAW, so I was right in the middle of the series and I looked in Sci-Fi and found six books, none of which were YW books, and promptly got them all. They were... Starrise at Corrivale, The Door into Fire, The Door into Shadow, Star Trek: My Enemy, My Ally, SpaceCops: Kill Station and a novel based off of a TV-movie called "Sea Quest DSV." (The last two were DD and Peter Morwood)

Wow. Look at what happens when I have free time!

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh. I have been called a hundred names and will be called a
            Last edited by Garrett Fitzgerald; December 4, 2008, 03:44:46 PM. Reason: cleanup html

Comment

Wow. Good bookstore, and, yup, I've got all those. Love a good used bookstore with tons of old books around. Makes me wanna go Sabatini-hunting.
              New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

Er, I meant that I found six books by DD that were not in the YW series.

Comment

My dad originally found the book on the internet and bought it for me. That was...5 years ago. I read it so many times that the cover came off and the pages were falling out (it was paperback). At that time I didn't know that Young Wizards was a series. So when I went to Borders 2 years later, I about freaked out when I saw DW, HW, and AWA there. Then I freaked out again when I found out thad Diane was continuing the series with Dilemma and Alone. I ALMOST freaked out when I found this website. See how the cycle repeats itself? *shakes head* I can't believe how ditzy I was.

Omnia mutantur, nihil interit.

Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
                  I will rejoice in the moonlight;
                  I will dance in the rivers of my tears;
                  For I am joyously, wonderfully alive!

Make your own laws or be a slave to another man's. -William Blake

School is hell with flourescent lighting.

Comment

Er... freaky. But if you had a copy from five years ago, didn't it mention somehwere that it was a sequel? *is puzzled*
                    T

Tuibird in Aotearoa
                    Conservationist, Scientist, and proud of both!
                    Chocolate lover extraordinaire...
                    Ahahahaha, ahahahahaha, ahahahaha...
                    My mission: Bringing Maori to the world!
                    Spelling Freak and Typo Queen
                    Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

I must have gotten SYWTBAW out of the library...probably fifteen years ago now...something like that, since I remember reading DW when Starman (the series) was on TV. Which library, and why I picked it up, I no longer recall, but I do remember that it had the cover you mention, Soldier, and I really like that one. I like that artist's work (see the covers for The Spellkey and The Glass Salamander, for instance)--it seems to be light-filled.

Murmurings

Comment

I think I might of told this to someone before:

I got into YW about a year and a half ago, going back to my home town for a visit I went to Rivers End Bookstore. I always pick up new books, and I was really into the whole magic thing at the time, and still am. When I saw the title I basically had to pick it up, SYWTBAW kind of stands out to me. And had to get it when I read the back, because it was exactly what I was thinking before I read the summary. My mother thought it sounded interesting, too, which is why she let me get it. I got hooked after the first two pages. I didn't get DW until my next visit home.

~!~!~!~!~!~!~
                        PART OF THE PROBLEM, Nita thought as she tore desperately down Rose Avenue, is that I can't keep my mouth shut.
                        -Diane Duane, So You Want To Be A Wizard
                        ---
                        Interesting (adj.) - Oh God, Oh God, we're all gonna die?

Comment

EVERYBODY TO THE CHAT!!!

I bought the LOTR 2 DVD then I stayed up till 1:00 AM in the morning to see it!
                          *screams insanely* RIDE NOW RIDERS OF ROHAN!!! TO THE RUIN!!! AND TO THE END OF THE WORLD!!! that's from the LOTR 3 trailer...I can't wait too see it.... *laughs insanely* Legolas Rocks! Gimli Rocks! Aragorn Rocks!!! Everyone Rocks!!! except Sam and Frodo that is...*screams insanely again* THE MATRIX ROCKS!!! All the movies that are going to come out this year rock!!!....*slowly the insanity pass away*... slowly...
                          Comradely, Diego

Blow wind, come wrath; at least I will die with the harness off my back.
                          ------------------------------------------------------------
                          "I know you've come to kill me. Shoot, coward, you will only kill a man." - Che

"Be a real

Comment

I can't enter the Chat!

Anyway, I must of bought SYWTBAW...eh...[mutter]4 years in Spain...read with teache when given choice...a year...[/mutter] About 5, maybe 6 years ago. I desperately needed something fantasy and in English. This popped up in Amazon and had very good reviews. I didn't know anything newer than HW had been published since a couple months ago. I'm hanging on my dad's neck for them. I neeeeed!

----

Magic Butter, better than normal on your toast.

Comment

quote: Originally posted by Birdhead:
                              But if you had a copy from five years ago, didn't it mention somewhere that it was a sequel?
                              No, it didn't... Although now that you mention it, it should have. All the other books say that they're in the Young Wizard's series... I have no idea why SYWTBAW didn't.

Omnia mutantur, nihil interit.

Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
                              Last edited by Garrett Fitzgerald; December 4, 2008, 03:51:25 PM. Reason: fixing html
                              I will rejoice in the moonlight;
                              I will dance in the rivers of my tears;
                              For I am joyously, wonderfully alive!

Make your own laws or be a slave to another man's. -William Blake

School is hell with flourescent lighting.

Comment

Working...
                              X