No announcement yet.

What first got you into the YW series?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Around 10 years ago, I picked up High Wizardry in...a KMart or something. My family was going on a long driving trip and I needed something to read on the way and it looked interesting.

It was a couple of years before I discovered it was part of a series, but when I did, I immediatly bought all the other books.

While I like almost all of the books in the series, the first three remain my favorites to this day.

~Anna/Pont/Blue (I have far too many names

Comment

It was the middle of Grade 7, just before Christmas; so about four years ago. I was wandering the school library looking for something to read in the few days between the end of school and Christmas, when I was guaranteed to get books. I spotted High Wizardry sitting on display and thought it looked interesting. I could tell it was the third book in the series, since it had a big 3 on the side, but presumably the first two weren't there, so I signed it out instead.

There went my plan for the book to last several days. I think I finished it in about a day and a half. Some of the more scientific aspects confused me, but overall I really enjoyed it, and after Christmas I went to the public library and got SYWTBAW. Deep Wizardry I bought after, and I got AWAb from the school library. The Wizard's Dilemma came out in paperback that fall, and I've slowly but surely collected the rest of them as they've come out.
      ------------------------------

Et meme si la route est bien longue a la fin,
      Et meme si la doute nous fait serrer les poings
      L'amour nous rassure, brise les murs d'incertitude...

Comment

It was 1984 or '85 and I was hungrily devouring the whole science fiction and fantasy kids section in the Mount Vernon NY Public Library before moving on to the adult section. I didn't buy my copy until 1993 when I saw the omnibus edition available from the Science Fiction Book Club.
        "Poets are regular people who live down the block and do simple things like wash clothes and stir soup." - Naomi Shihab Nye

Comment

The first time I saw SYWTBAW was when my mother and I stopped briefly at a bookstore some ways from home. It looked interesting, but I had no money. So I filed the info away in my mind.
          Much later, browsing through a local used-books store, I saw it again and remembered it. So I bought that, along w/ DW and HW. I remember that I read HW before DW, because I was so eager to read about Dairine's becoming a wizard. Impatient, aren't I?
          I lurk. It's what I do.
          "Always put off until tomorrow what you can do today."

Comment

I picked up my copy of "Supoort your Local Wizard" (First 3 stoties) through SciFi book club (A long time ago, I was in my teens, an I'm 32 now). I needed more books since I was out of reading material, and they were offering one of those 12 for the cost of 3 specials or something. It was one of the books I selected trying to fill my quota of books.

I've read and re-read the book, at least 6 times by now. I read TBONWM and TSTQ when I discovered they existed, and a few years ago found out through an at-work book sale that WA existed. I devoured it quickly

Just recently I decided to look up the series online and see if there were any more, to my great surprise there are 4 more books I'd never known about. Unfortunately I let people know I'm looking for them, so I can't go buy a copy until after Christmas for fear of upsetting someone's gift-giving.
            -Positronic Cat
            (I have sat between the great lion statues, hoping for a glimpse of the future.)

Comment

I basically just saw it in the library, i year or two ago. When I saw the title, I basicaly was shocked. (I kind of had the same feeling nita got when she saw the manual in her library). I was a bit dissapointed when I discovered it was just a book, but I still checked out. And guess what?I LOVED IT! Of course, wouldn't you know it, It took me two years to find the second book. SInce then I have been reading like crazy trying to make up for lost time.

Originally posted by EragonKit:
              i had read all of the books in the fantasy section of a library and one day i found so you want to be a wizard. i decided that i would read it. i was hooked instantly i had read it at least times that weekend. it is now my favorite book.
              I have one thing to say to you. Eragon rocks, And I LOVE THIS SERIESE!

Merged two posts
              I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.
              For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

...It's strange the way i found out about the series. I've had so you want to be a wizard on my book shelf for as long as i can remember...my dad says he got it for me when i was like 2 i didn't read it until 7 yrs old, and i only found out in the last 3 years that there were more of them... so it was quite a shock actually
                ---------------------------------------
                YW Chat room link. http://client00.chat.mibbit.com/ Type in nickname and #youngwizards for channel.
                "in remembrance of Peter Murray,5/16/06,dai stiho

Comment

Monkey, everybody knows the answer to life the universe and everything: 42. Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy. The real question is what is the question!
                  I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.
                  For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

Actully my sister brought for a book report and i was like thats so stupid! She never finished it so i picked it up casue i was bored..i couldnt stop! I GOT SO OBESED! The books are so great! It would be cool to have like all the new ones i have a old version of the first..
                    bYE BYE aLL
                    tORI
                    Love and be loved

Comment

I was just kinda looking around in the library, and I noticed it on the shelf. It was really funny when I was reading the first book to, as that's exactly how Nita gets her manual. XD I liked it, so I got the other books from the library too (They had everything up to Wizards Holiday, I had to buy Wizards at War)
                      Oops

Comment

I spotted it in a barnes and noble ( i'm a good book spotter) and kinda picked it up and glanced at the back. then i looked inside. i got really intriged, and I bought it and DW and HW at the same time. and now i'm obsessed, which is the basic concensus. (tori, could you fix some spelling? I'm wishing i could fix it this instant)
                        "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

...and eyes, sweet as honey, soft as moss, that hold in their black vessels the bitterness of old wounds and the tired peace of growing wisdom.

Comment

well i foued the book and at first I thought it would not be good then I put it on the shelf then tookit off and I did this about 100,000,000 times then my Dad said "JUST GET THE BOOK" so I did and know my dad has to drave to the boarders book store abouot.... once a week to get me a new one ....

Comment

I...don't know, actually. I think I was just scanning along the shelf in the book store and my eyes just sort of found it. You know that feeling you get when you see a book you've never seen before and you know "This one's going to be good?" It was that feeling.
                            And the Dragon's song, so wild and strong,
                            Fell from the sky like rain
                            Upon my soul; which, watered well,
                            Bloomed with a joy no words can tell
                            Where once was a dusty plain.

-A verse from the Song of the Winged Ones

Comment

yha ... what book are you on that DD wrote I am on nuber 4!

Comment

The first time I ever saw the YW series was a really long time ago, and I saw the first volume at the local library, with one of the older more "spooky" looking covers. I was intrigued, but didn't read it. Later on I saw my friend reading it and recognized the series and read it for myself and was... ahem... blown away. YW turned out to be totally beyond awesome. As soon as I read it, I was addicted and it was love at first read. <3

Comment

Working...
                                X