No announcement yet.

What first got you into the YW series?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well I started them this year anyways I needed a new book for school so I went thier libary and I looking some fansaty books(I LOVE Fansaty) then I saw The 2 other ones I notice it was a seris so I ask the person where the first one was she showed it to me I like them ever since
    Hi!!

Comment

• The omnibus edition (containing the first three books in the series) snagged me in my hometown library when I was in middle school, so probably about 1997 or 1998. I devoured them, then read them once a year for the next couple of years, and never dreamed that more existed. Then, to my great delight, I discovered A Wizard Abroad in Books-a-Million one day, and have been in love with this series ever since.
      "Go ahead! Panic! Do it now to avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!"

Comment

• While I was playing Deathball I found a solid color all blue book that said "shooffi snorgelnook" (shoe-fee-snore-gel-nook) which means
        "So You Want To Be A Wizard"
        Dai!

P.S. gone libraring

Comment

• I found mine at Title Wave, this used books store. Well, the person working there recommended it to me, since I'd read all the other fantasy book that sounded interesting, and I fell in love. Unfortunately, they didn't have DW, so I had to read HW after SYWTBAW.
          "at least i thought it was a wall. It sure felt like one. It was hard, it was flat. It stretched out on either side of me. You know... wall." -Bobby Pendragon

Comment

• I have always loved witch/vampire/supernatural books. One day in B&N when I was maybe. . . between ages 9-11, the book caught my eye and the rest is history.

Comment

• I think my first YW book (SYWTBAW) was used. Lol it was actually only this summer and my dad was trying to get me to start reading some more (ever since school started I've kinda just been watching TV and stuff) so he brought a giant pile of novels into my room. So one day I got bored and picked the most interesting looking one out of all of them (which just so happens to be SYWTBAW). After I read the first book, I asked my dad if I could buy the second and since then, I've been pretty much addicted. Lol I'm currently on the eighth book.

Comment

• I don't remember ever having posted in this thread and there's a lot to look through, but if I did it's been over a year, so...

A friend of mine who learned I like fantasy recommended I read something, anything by DD, so I looked in my local library's catalogue to see if they had anything of hers. They didn't, so I went to the nearest big city to find out if they did, which is where I found On Her Majesty's Wizardly Service (To Visit the Queen, to US readers.)

So strictly speaking, I didn't start out with the YW series proper, but with Cats of Grand Central - and reluctant though I am to admit it to a thread-full of YW fans, I still prefer the feline-wizard novels to the human ones up to this point. I do love the YW series, yeah, but I prefer the cats. The only YW novel I could find in my nearest libraries - this was before I had a debit card, so I couldn't get any on Amazon or suchlike - was A Wizard Abroad. Funnily enough, that happens to still be a major favourite of mine in the series, too...
                Las Vegas Boulevard is jammed, and I'm in love...

Comment

• have to give her some credit...

I got into it when my big sister started reading it ( I don't know how she got into it.) so.. I guess I have to give her some credit...

I didn't particularly like SYWTBAW, except mostly for Fred (he saved the whole thing !!!!)It was definitely denser and harder to follow than the others. I gave up. (That was when I was around 9.) A year or two later I decided to give it another chance. I fought my way through SYWTBAW, got into DW, and soared through HW... I was hooked... haha

Comment

• I was in a used & new bookshop when i was, i dunno, 10-ish? running my finger along the books when SYWTBAW snagged me, but i think my mom thought i was too young for it (cover was of nita & kit walking on air, with lightning bolts) years later, i was buying books on amazon when i saw it on the sidebar of recommended reads....
                    Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?

-The Book of the Dead
                    --sabriel

Comment

• A few years ago I went to the bookstore and SYWTBAW caught my eye because it sounded very fantasyish. I LOVED fantasy, and still do, but now I'm more science fictiony. Well, I liked it, but I thought it was kinda slow and didnt get all the terms like "temporospatial claudication" and "white hole". So I stopped reading the series after the second one. A few months ago I got hooked on every thing outer space, so by the time I picked up SYWTBAW again, I actually understood what it was talking about, and loved it. Now I'm on the third book. Should take me a few hours.
                      Last edited by estar9821; August 20, 2011, 09:09:35 PM.
                      "This will look great next to my restraining order from Leonard Nimoy!" ~ Sheldon, Big Bang Theory

Comment

• I was in seventh or eighth grade and I kept seeing it in the library. I don't know why I didn't take it out the first time, but it kept catching my eye and I picked it up severla times and saw the cover and went, 'O, right, that one- I should take it out someday.' And one day I did... When I told my dad how much I loved it, he told me he had all the audiobooks. Practically as soon as he put them on my ipod, my entire family got strep. Everyone else spent it wandering around the house like ghosts, drinking tea and moaning. I stayed in my bed for about a week (it was winter break) and finished the entire series. Well, except AWAl and WH, I got those later.
                        I know the answer! The answer lies within the heart of all mankind! The answer is twelve? I think I'm in the wrong building.
                        -- Charles Shulz

Comment

• I don't know if I answered in this thread already ... I can't help but thinking I did. Neways, in between Harry Potter books I was searching for something similar (which this really isn't) and then the SFBC had been selling a compendium I think of the first three books, which I missed buying (thank God) and then I came across the book with the covers by the guy who did the cover for the "So you want to be a wizard" twentieth anniversary edition. Then I bought those. In between buying them though, I checked them out of the library, and then bought them because I loved the covers.

Obviously, I fell in love with the first book, there's just something about a talking car and parrots with smart mouthes that you don't get in a lot of modern books. That and the whole 80's vibe going through the book. I might have just imagined that but it felt really like it was of that time ...

I've loved the books since. Though I wish they could get that guy to do the covers for the new books ... *sighs* and I wish I could remember his name I really like his art.

Comment

• My friend told me that it was a REALLY good series(but apparently she's not even entering the WoM contest- she can wait) and so I started reading it. It was kind of confusing at first, but I kept reading it and it was REALLY(used again) fun, so I finished the first 8 books in 3 weeks. I think that's really all...

Comment

• I was in the library tonight with my friend, and I found their copy of So You Want to be a Wizard. This is the first copy I have seen of the book, of any book in the series. This is the copy that intrigued me. And I took it down and read the back even though I know it by heart, read it slowly, lingeringly, remembering. And then I hugged it to me, hard, because I actually felt real affection toward it. Not toward the book in general, not toward the series in general, toward that copy. Love is strange, love of books doubly so.
                              I know the answer! The answer lies within the heart of all mankind! The answer is twelve? I think I'm in the wrong building.
                              -- Charles Shulz

Comment

• My mom read the first three as a teenager and when I got into middle school she suggested I read them I read the first four and stopped for a couple of years. Sometime this year I decided to reread the first four and then I bought all the rest and just kept reading them. It is actually amazing how few of my friends have ever even heard of the series, only one of them ever has.
                                "These are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others."-Groucho Marx

"What is scientific fact? An oxymoron. Science does not deal in facts. It deals in hypotheses, which are never fully and finally correct."-Orson Scott Card

Comment

Working...
                                X