No announcement yet.

What first got you into the YW series?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I read "Deep Wizardry" when I was...12? Yeah, 12. I picked up the Corgi edition in my school library: this beautiful image of a shark arcing over the water. I would love to find that cover again. I still remember it.

I snapped up "So You Want To Be A Wizard" when I saw it one day in the fantasy bookstore I frequented. I could never get a copy of "Deep Wizardry" because it was harder to find the books at the time. I didn't even know "High Wizardry" existed till I saw it on a boy's bookshelf three or four years later.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________
    "Meddle not in the affairs of Orcs, for you are crunchy and we aren't fussy about condiments."

Comment

• I found the first book when I was on thanksgiving vacation (sort of ironic seeing how I give thanks everyday that I found the book)I was supposed to be shopping for my sister, and I went into waldenbooks/borders(even though she does not like to read) *shakes head sadly at the thought* I was running my hand along the shelf and it was sticking out. accidentally I knocked it over, picked it up, and got hooked. In the store there was only SYWTBAW and HW, so I did not know the other ones existed. I sat on the floor and started reading it, because I coud not put itdown. When my parents finally found me I was already at the part when the sun goes out on N/K's ordeal. They made me put it away and got it for me for my birthday. The only problem was that this was in November and my birthday is in April!!I had to wait a whole FIVE MONTHS!!!! It was horrible, almost like a punishement, but I finall got it and read it and found all the rest in the series, until I had to wait another TWO MONTHS to get WAW. Well, now i'm hooked and the rest is history.
      ~We're the kinda friends that kill each other for a handful of Doritos and in the end we don't say sorry we say Haha! Too bad!!~. Errors have been made. Others will be blamed.

Comment

• Wow, it's amazing how many people describe getting hooked on the YW series when it "caught their hand". I say that's amazing because that's exactly how Nita find the manual. So we're finding the books how Nita found the manual, seems like their could be some deductive reasoning here
        "...For my own part, I known my job; my commission comes from Those Who Are. My paw raised is Their paw on the neck of the Serpent, now and always..." - The (Kitty) Catechism
        Define the universe and give 3 examples.

Comment

• i know what you mean...maybe the stockers leave it out on purpose for the irony of it all. :P i'm envious of those who have managed to have such book perfect experiances, since i don't think mine was anything like that...more catching of the eye then hand (i decide whether to look at a book and see if i want to read it by title mostly, and if the title catches me i'll read the back, or front flap...not that that stops me from running hands over book shelves every once in a while. :P
          I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.
          For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

• Well... I first got hooked when i was just looking at the library shelves for something to read - I'd picked out A Wizard Abroad a few minutes earlier (it had been in a different section of the library, for some reason) and had picked it up as it was set in Ireland, where I live. - Then I saw SYWTBAW and High Wizardry on another shelf, and picked them up. I somehow didn't notice that the second two were by the same author as the first one was, and left it behind, as I'd already filled up all my space on my library card. I read them, was hooked, and returned to the library a few weeks later, and noticed AWA. Hooked again! At that point, I didn't realise that there were more that four YW books, and was a little disappointed.

Imagine my delight when someone on a Diana Wynne Jones forum(my second favourite author, ) idly mentioned that DD had written eight books... Thanks to Amazon, I soon had them all!

Comment

• Well I was in Borders, looking for a book, and I saw the series - I'd been looking for awhile and it was just there. I got the first two books that day, and soon owned them all - they were in paperback (up to a wizard abroad). I think I ran into unpublished books there, but I'm not sure - I can't tell times so much because I don't actually own WD, or a wizard alone. I think that that must have been one of the best days of my life (not saying the best - I've had lots of them). I could walk into that store and show you just where they were - though typically I go to Barnes and Nobles. I am also happy when a bookstore has all of the ones in the series - some don't.
              "And on he went, out of sight in unhurried grace; the true dark angel, the unfallen Destroyer, the Pale slayer who never really dies -- seeking for pain to end." Deep Wizardry, page 355 Listen, and I'll tell you a story... of the wind in the trees, and the sun, the moon and the stars... of all of Earth dancing

Comment

• My story is pretty normal. I wanted another book to read, because I had finished most of my books. I never go to the library, so i asked my mom to recommend me a book. She was reading WAW, and told me to go look for the first one, so i decided to, and i liked it.
                "If his grin was any wider the top of his head would have fallen off"
                -Terry Pratchett
                Candyman Jr, Master Procrastinator, Joe Green, Vashmata, Master of Technology

Comment

• It's-a-me! I'm back after being gone for a whopping one week.

But I've just came back to revive this thread, because if I don't now, it'll wind up closed. I'm still going to be absent for a few more weeks, unless there's some unforeseen event in which I must post, such as this situation.

We have a lot of new members who're posting, and who've registered after the last post in this thread, so... I figured I'd post in it for all the newbies to be able to see, and share their stories in it.
                  "...Some of growing up is the knitting together of our cognitive webs, and some things take time and experience to make sense...." - Taran

Comment

• Good idea Eric! I wouldn't have seen this thread! Ok, so I first found the series at the library. actually the library I found it at reminds me of how I envisioned Nita's library... strange... anyway, so I was wondering along the shelves of books, running my hand along them- I sometimes like to do that, and this bool was sticking out. i would have ignored it, but the sticker on the binding was poking out and it poked me. I don't know, but it did it hard. So, I pulled out the book to see what it was called, and I started to read it, because I am addicted to fiction and was looking for a good book to read that I hadn't already read.I was really interested, so I took it home and read it that night. ans that's how I got into the YW books- even though it's probably not as interesting as some, it's the truth.
                    Believe something... and somewhere, it's happened

Comment

• I think I might have posted here before...but that was a while ago...

I might have already said this, but I too was snagged by the first book in my local library (closed now for reconstruction, sadly) and I checked out the book and read it in one night. A few days later, I asked the librarian if I could possibly buy the book from the library, because at that time they were selling the books that were in bad condition, and the cover of SYWTBAW was all messed up, with most of it missing. The librarian did let me buy it, and last year they sold me the second and third books, which were actually in good condition (each book, first to third was 25 cents each).

I've checked the rest of the books out of various libraries, and listened to the audiobooks on netlibrary.com so much that they won't let me check them out anymore.
                      Dif-tor heh smusma.

Comment

• Did I tell you that I skipped church to read AWA? The first one I ever read.
                        the most amazing band in the world... The Science of Sleep... www.myspace.com/thescienceofsleepar

Comment

• Well...
                          I was in the library on a rainy afternoon when I was 10. My mom was checking out her books, so I went in the back to see if, by any strange chance, there was a book that I hadn't read. Sure enough, I find, jammed behind a pile of Christmas books, "So You Want To Be A Wizard". I picked it up, ordered the rest of the series, and the rest is history...
                          What is the Meaning of Life?
                          Read. Write. Dance. Live.
                          ...Dai Stiho!

Comment

• I went to the library the other day, I needed to see if they can give me some community service hours, but anyway, I went to the YA section and I was curious if SYWTBAW was going to be there.. But that one in particular wasn't there but three others were. I kind of laughed a little because that library was the place where I found SYWTBAW. It's nice to see that others are reading it now.
                            Time passes. Even when it seems impossible.
                            Even when each tick of the second hand aches like the pulse of blood behind a bruise.
                            It passes unevenly, in strange lurches and dragging lulls, but pass it does. Even for me.
                            Check out my video: LET GO

Comment

• A 24 hour car trip with SYWTBAW. Deep Wizardry, and Wizards Holiday for only entertainment.
                              I can create a world, out of letters and words. I can make you believe something in a paragraph. I can make you love someone in a page. I can make you go places that don't exist in a book. That's all the magic I need. [url]http://melpomene.freeforums

Comment

• another wolf!
                                I wish i could read in the car... I makes me sick, so I only can listen to books on tape. but I think it was really interesting that every time i went there there was only the next YW book there... and they never seem to be in the library catalogue either. I wish there were more people here(where I live) who read the YW books... but I seem to be the only one.
                                Believe something... and somewhere, it's happened

Comment

Working...
                                X