No announcement yet.

What first got you into the YW series?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My mom handed me a book with a picture of a girl and a boy walking on air up to a hole in the sky on the cover and said, "Read this, I think you'll like it."

About two years later, I own a copy of every book.
    Trouble is, someone changed the location of normal and didn't bother sending me the map.
    ~Nita, A Wizard's Dilemma

Comment

• Welcome, Faer!

I got to the YW series through Diane's The Wounded Sky, which my next-door neighbor lent me my freshman year at Brown. I promptly picked up everything I could find by Diane, and have been stalk^H^H^H^H^Hreading her ever since. :-)
      "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

Comment

• The title So You Want to Be A Wizard caught my eye, and so i picked it up read the back, was interested so got it and read. It only took me about a month to read the next 7 book and part of AWOM. They are so good i couldn't put it down. Went to work exhausted a couple of time. haha
        I'm just sayin'!

Comment

• Originally posted by AMLJLCDD:
          Sure enough, I find, jammed behind a pile of Christmas books, "So You Want To Be A Wizard".
          That's so cool! That's like how Nita finds the manual. Sort of.

Comment

• "Every oak tree started out as a couple of nuts who stood their ground."
            -anonymous

Comment

• When I was 13, my dad had a long-distance girlfriend who would send me packages full of random gifts and stuff. One box contained a collection of Edgar Allen Poe poetry, a glass bottle containing a deed to some property on Atlantis (seriously!), and the Support Your Local Wizard omnibus. The one that has the first 3 books in it, and has the hideous purple cover art . I looked at it and went "Ew, that looks dorky." But a few days later, I was bored and decided to give it a chance, and that was it. I've been a devoted fan for the past 15 years. (:
              Nanu nanu.

Comment

• About three months ago at my town's public library, there was a poster that said: If You Liked Harry Potter, Read These Books. The first one on the list was So You Want To Be A Wizard. It sounded good so I tried it out. Now I have read all the books and am a big fan.
                Ars longa, vita brevis
                (Art is long, life is brief) -- Seneca

Comment

• Originally posted by wolf_wizard:

I wish i could read in the car... I makes me sick, so I only can listen to books on tape.

Wolf_wizard: Wow, That would be so hard for me not to be able read in the car. When I ever go in the car, even just for a 15 minuete ride, I ALWAYS read.
                  Ars longa, vita brevis
                  (Art is long, life is brief) -- Seneca

Comment

• Hi Daisy! Welcome to the forum! Just a quick note, try not to post to posts consecutively - you can mesh it into one post. I you forgot to say something, there will be a small folder with a pencil eraser over it at the top right or your post. It lets you edit it. Dai!

I haven't really seen any If you read this then read... signs, but I know what you are talking about. I have also read all the books and can't wait to read AWoM. I don't read every single car ride, because I talk too - but if more than two people are in the car, I usually read. I don't like to mention it, but thank goodness because I do work in the car too... Reading is however, far more enjoyable and would be worse to lose.
                    "And on he went, out of sight in unhurried grace; the true dark angel, the unfallen Destroyer, the Pale slayer who never really dies -- seeking for pain to end." Deep Wizardry, page 355 Listen, and I'll tell you a story... of the wind in the trees, and the sun, the moon and the stars... of all of Earth dancing

Comment

• I read all the time too, usually even if it's only a 5 minute ride. Unluckily, I somehow lost my book (Lords and Ladies, by Terry Pratchett), and I haven't been reading in the car since.

By the way, I also get carsick reading, but I'm so engrossed in reading that I never notice until later.
                      "If his grin was any wider the top of his head would have fallen off"
                      -Terry Pratchett
                      Candyman Jr, Master Procrastinator, Joe Green, Vashmata, Master of Technology

Comment

• I was introduced to this series when I was about five, with my dad reading me the first two books before bed. Since then I would occasionally have nightmares involving two kids, a dragon, moving trees, statues coming to life and well any other scary parts. However I had no clue (or interest where these dreams came from)

Well I continued to ignore my dreams until over a decade later I read Harry Potter and thought that the series was a rip off, but a rip off of what? I soon remembered being read a book, and asked my parents about it, but they had no memory of it, and given the vast number of books we had in the house trying to find it would take an extraordinary amount of time.

I soon got that time when I was grounded for, well lets just say I was unwizardly. I remember going threw every book in my house's library, starting from the top which was unfortunate as they were at the bottom. I ended up reading several dozen books before finding So You Want to be a Wizard.

However my grounding period was over and I did not read it till months later. Further more the copies of the books were each really old and did not mention any of the sequels. I went though another ordeal to find an read all of those.

Comment

• I first came across them when I found the first three books at a middle school book sale. Proceeded to buy them, love and read them to death, then forgot about them once high school hit.

About a year ago, I'm looking through the sale section of my college's bookstore, and what do I find besides hardcovers of W@W and A Wizard Alone. Upon realizing what I found, I immediately began to squee and caper about like some figure of madness, stopping only long enough to throw money at the clerk and dash home. Since then, I've been working to get a complete collection.
                          If you choose not to decide, you still have made a Choice.

Comment

• I was twelve years old, and I had just renewed my library card for the first time since I was about six or seven, I think. I was determined to only take out two books at a time, not that it ever works, I am more likely have five or six out. Anyway, one, or maybe both of the books, were So You Want to be a Wizard, and Deep Wizardry. I read them and I got hooked.
                            I stand tall, proud, brave, straight, and strong.
                            Fairest and Fallen, greetings and defiance.
                            ~Book junkie~

Comment

• Truthfully, I was about the age of 10, and my mother started taking my sister and I to the library. I began skimming for books, and I was looking that bordered around the subject of science, but mainly. I read the first book in a day, and from then on, I kept reading the others. Now, I look forward to more books coming, and I can't but ask myself about the changes that each character goes through. The books somehow relate in a human way to everyone, and that makes me want to keep reading the series.
                              Magic exists everywhere you look because you choose to see it. Magic exists inside of me because I welcome it. Magic and energy are one and the same. Energy and magic will always exist.

Comment

• One of my school freinds in 5th grade got me started on the book series.
                                So You Want To Be A Wizard meant a lot to me. It showed that there are promises in life that we don't know about until they are right before our face.
                                "This is our shame-
                                this is the whole Ocean's glory:
                                this is the Song of the Twelve." (DW 316)

Comment

Working...
                                X