No announcement yet.

Great words list

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ha, fandom is a great place to adopt and invent cuss words, though I prefer using my own. The most common I've seen is "frakking"- care to remind me what show that's from?

As for my favourite words, top of the list is 'counterintuitive'. Because quantum mechanics is just that way.
    Effervescent is probably somewhere in the list- I first came across it earlier this year, in Nathaniel Hawthorne's "Dr. Heidegger's Experiment". Greatly enjoyed the short story (especially the description of the study); hated the analysis. XD
    Others include misanthrope, strange quark (it's just not the same until you put them together), algorithm, elegant, dimension, radiosity (POVRay term), transcendence, luminescence, amoeba ...
    -Tell me and I may remember; show me and I'll understand; involve me and I'll never forget. Thank you, PM. Your light lives on.

Comment

Originally posted by A Traveller with Magic:
      The most common I've seen is "frakking"- care to remind me what show that's from?
      Battlestar Galactica, if I remember correctly. It seems some set designer with a sense of humor had one of these in Adama's washroom recently...
      "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

Comment

it's also moved to veronica mars, (frakken) i think, but that's more of a joke than anything else. :P i wonder what curses will replace the ones we have now...they probably won't be NEARLY as rediculous as those we created in english class, for elizabethian times. :P
        I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.
        For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

Kriff (STAR WARS)
          Stang (STAR WARS)
          Agoraphobia
          Gorram (FIREFLY)
          Tridecalogisms (Midnighters)
          Most any thirteen letter word
          Wolfishness
          Warmongerings
          Insuborinate Subordinations (cause it's just plain constradictory)
          Dessometrics (Midnighters)
          Duct tape is like the Force. It has a Light Side, a Dark Side, and it binds the Universe together.
          "Oh. So...what, you liked it 'cause it was shiny?" - Logan Cale
          "I'm sixteen. Of course I'm hungry." - Ben Skywalker

Comment

Oh does anyone know the word for a fear of big words I was told by somebody but I can't remember. All I remember is that it itself is a huge word. I also like the word Snarge which is the remains of a bird after it goes through a jet engine. There are scientists where all they do is study snarge.
            "These are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others."-Groucho Marx

"What is scientific fact? An oxymoron. Science does not deal in facts. It deals in hypotheses, which are never fully and finally correct."-Orson Scott Card

Comment

I don't know the word you mean, but I believe the word for a fear of butterflies is ledropthophobia.
              About fantasy/SF cursing: I caught my brother saying dar'vit once. Oh, how I laughed at him. though I do say zarking. And for about a week my friend and I would keep calling each other turlingdromes and falling over laughing.
              I know the answer! The answer lies within the heart of all mankind! The answer is twelve? I think I'm in the wrong building.
              -- Charles Shulz

Comment

I found it it's Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia thats the fear of long words. and it's one of the longest words ever i think. how would you like to hear that but be scared of the word so you couldn't even say what you had, that would be weird.
                "These are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others."-Groucho Marx

"What is scientific fact? An oxymoron. Science does not deal in facts. It deals in hypotheses, which are never fully and finally correct."-Orson Scott Card

Comment

Great Words-Defenestrate

I don't know if this counts as a great word, but I just LOVE the word defenestrate.

Comment

Ummm....I had a good one....now I can't think of it....ummm...CRYPTOGAMIQUES, STYLOGRAPHIQUE, XYLOGRAPHIQUES, therem those are the longest words with no letters repeating.
                    "This will look great next to my restraining order from Leonard Nimoy!" ~ Sheldon, Big Bang Theory

Comment

Ok, I actually just made a list like two nights ago of ten words that perfectly suit what they describe. Here it is:

1. crystal
                      2. dumpling
                      3. toffee
                      4. toothpaste
                      5. opera
                      6. purple
                      7. rain
                      8. book
                      9. leather
                      10. chiffon

Let me explain the not-very-rational rationality behind each word:
                      1. The word crystal makes me think of a small, very delicate piece of glass being dropped from very high up onto very hard stone and shattering into a thousand tiny pieces. I thought this image was from my own head, but I just realized it's from a bit of the Lord of the Rings movie and I saw it in the Siuil a Run video Emily sent me.
                      2. The word dumpling makes me physically nauseous, and reminds me of little dumpy doughy things in peanut butter sauce and greasy Chinese food.
                      3. Just saying the word toffee makes your teeth stick together. Even when you say it in your head.
                      4. Toothpaste just sounds like something thick and chalky that you squeeze out of a tube. Doesn't it? This makes gel toothpaste completely unnatural and a thing to be wary of.
                      5. The word opera makes me think of a very big, dark room with a brightly lit stage at the front with a background of either a scene in Venice or a balcony and people singing in very high voices. It also makes me think of soggy chocolate cake, but it doesn't suit that image nearly as well.
                      6. There is absolutely no reason as to why I think the word purple suits the color, even in my head. I just do.
                      7. The word rain just sounds... grey and wet and misty, and like water pouring down in absolute sheets. Not fiercely, gently, even, but as if a sink in the sky had overflowed and was running down the counter in that kind of thin wall of water all the way down to earth.
                      8. The word book is so... booky. It sounds like old yellow paper, and smells kind of musty, the way all the best book smells. Not like rotting glue, which is how some old books smell, but like paper. I love the smell of paper. Old paper. Yellow paper.
                      9. Leather sounds like... I dunno, brown. And supple, and leathery-smelling, and soft, and very like a bracelet I own. Which is leather.
                      10. The word chiffon is floaty and light green or lavender or peach or ivory, and rustly, and swirly in the way that it billows around you when you twirl. Don't you think?
                      I know the answer! The answer lies within the heart of all mankind! The answer is twelve? I think I'm in the wrong building.
                      -- Charles Shulz

Comment

I like the reason for toffee, but I've never tried toffee before. What is it like? I've already caught on that it's sticky, but what else is there to it?

Comment

It's chewy... and sweet... and it sticks to your teeth. I think. I've actually never tasted toffee, I am describing taffy. Therefore, I join the quest to find out what a toffee is. Anyone?
                          -- Charles Shulz

Comment

Toffee Quest

Originally posted by Cinnamon Wind View Post
                            It's chewy... and sweet... and it sticks to your teeth. I think. I've actually never tasted toffee, I am describing taffy. Therefore, I join the quest to find out what a toffee is. Anyone?
                            Uhhh... yes, I guess I join the quest too. I've only ever read about it in books, and I know it's chewy, tasty, sweet, and makes you thirsty. I've seen it in stores and know that it is labeled as such: Toffee, and I know that, uhhh... I've never tried it before. Or even seen what's inside the wrappers first hand either. Now, what is toffee?

Comment

I'm fond of the word Zaftig. Why? Because it's the first word in the dictionary starting with Z. ((I found that fun and memorized it.)) **Tries to salvage one liner** I'm afraid i don't get to use the word that often - or ever, really... but once in a great while, i get to come across it and grin. It's fun when your. favorite word pops up after a long wait
                              Last edited by Dragon Writer; December 3, 2009, 04:37:38 PM.
                              I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.
                              For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

Toffee is basically sugar dissolved in water and recrystallised. Its sickly sweet, and often covers apples (toffee apple). Its usually hard and sticky, and makes your teeth hurt, from sticking them together, biting into it, and from the sweetness.

My favourite word at the moment is journeying - although that will probably change in the next few days as my trip comes to an end.

I also like 'molybdenite', because its a fun word to say.

Comment

Working...
                                X