Great words list

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great words list

A place to discuss weird and wonderful words. Moving the discussion out of the Poetry thread, since it was introducing a decided factor of topic drift, and is certainly a big enough topic to fill its own thread.
    New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Hmmm... Great words list? Did you post it somewhere? Can you give me a link to it? Can I contribute to it? Do you want the more complex meaning of "Psychoneurotically disturbed?" Some other words are Deflagrate (to burn violently) Neophyte (beginner or amateur) Antepenultimate (third to last) Phantasmagorical (really horrible and creepy) Anthropomorphic (half human, used by DD in W@W) and last of all:
    pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis, the longest word in the english language (it is a rare lung desiese) read my sig, it pretty much describes me
    Dif-tor heh smusma.

Comment

kk - The Great Words List exists primarily in the hypocanthus of my brain, though it has been known to turn up in the Sahara Desert looking for interesting words in Swahili.

pneumonocoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis?!! ??!! *jaw drops* Hope I never get that, can you imagine trying to tell people you have pneumonocoultra...(don't make me spell it again)??!!

YR: gotta love the poem about love!
      "...For my own part, I known my job; my commission comes from Those Who Are. My paw raised is Their paw on the neck of the Serpent, now and always..." - The (Kitty) Catechism
      Define the universe and give 3 examples.

Comment

hahahahahahahaha!!!! I just love big words! It becomes difficult to write poems using them though. Do you think you could post the words list here? You just have to remember all of the words! pleeeeeeaaase post it! I need to enhance my vocabulary! Pleeeeeeeeaaaaaaaasssseeeeeee?!
        Dif-tor heh smusma.

Comment

hey i know that one gigo! But I thought it was spelled pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicavolcanoconiosis. Never use that for hangman by the way; there's hardly a letter not in it XD.
          "Half of the ehhif on the planet go to bed with empty stomachs: the other half die of eating themselves sick...." -Rhiow,The Book of Night With Moon

Comment

I used it for hangman once. It took my uncle a looooooooooong time to guess it. It turns out that there are a lot of letters not in it. and gigo, please please please post some of the great words here! I like inordinately huge or complicated words! They make my day brighter when I can use them and see the shocked reactions on peoples' faces! Please post a few of them! oh, and the more complex description of psychoneurotically disturbed (in case you want it) is "A person who does crazy things (running around screaming, writing crazy things (poems in my case), eating too much sugar (in my friends case) etc.) without any sign of desiese of any kind." I still think I'm at least partly pschoneurotically disturbed.
            Dif-tor heh smusma.

Comment

Aren't we all? (psychoneurotically disturbed, that is). And gigo has a confession to make *hangs head and scuffs imaginary sand with toe* I don't actually have a "Great Words List" that I can remember, I mean, I like words, but the list itself was kind of a joke. If I had one, "psychoneurotically" would totally be the first one on the list, but... *squirms* well... It's about time we start one, though, since it seems like a lot of people would be interested, considering the website.

I guess, for my brand-new-all-in-my-brain words list... 1.) "psychoneurotically disturbed" 2.) "Fantabulous" which I'm not sure is a word, but a cross between fantastic and fabulous and sounds pretty darn cool. 3 and 4.) "Omniscient" and "omnipresent", which mean, respectively, all-knowing and in-all-places-at-all-times. AND 5.)"Superkallifrajalisticixpeallidocious" gotta have the classic (which I have no idea how to spell).

So, now I do have a Great Words List! And I'm sure there'll be more to add, considering your vocabulary kk.
              "...For my own part, I known my job; my commission comes from Those Who Are. My paw raised is Their paw on the neck of the Serpent, now and always..." - The (Kitty) Catechism

Comment

OOH GREAT WORDS! Ok, so I realize this is slightly innappropriate, but I don't mean it like that, I just like the way it sounds. 1.Lingerie I LOVE the way that word sounds. 2.Spoony, the single most hilarious word ever 3.Tempestuous-I said it in English class and no one knew what it meant 4.Uh oh, another slightly innapropriate one that I just like the sound of-epididymus. 5.Ophidiophobia-it means a fear of snakes 6.Sussurus-I'm not sure I spelled it right, but it's got the most amazing sound

I loooooooove random words. They make me happy.
                The Taiko Dodo and Mitten of Insanity
                I promise not to funfun anymore
                Be happy cause life is good

Comment

I think my little sis's ditionary has this page-long scientific word in it... I'll try to find it. I just learned a new one, multifarious, and used it in my thesis. My strategy is to use a many complicated words as possible to make it seem good. And it does sound like everyone must be psychoneurotically disturbed... so, lacrymosity, taciturn; it's basically the complex ones not so much as the long ones for me. I have a list. I'll find its many iterations and return with it.
                  "Half of the ehhif on the planet go to bed with empty stomachs: the other half die of eating themselves sick...." -Rhiow,The Book of Night With Moon

Comment

can we put silly words in here, like words you think feel awesome to say, or what? like absopositively? and whatchamacallit?

Comment

If it's a Great Word, post it. Real words, play words, long words, short words with about a thousand meanings...just no obscene words please.

Comment

Onomonopea is one of my favorites. It sounds like what it means.
                        Hy gododin cataan hue
                        Hud a lledrith mal wyddan
                        Guance ae bellawn wen cabri
                        Varigal don Fincayra
                        Dravia, dravia Fincayra

Comment

Except it's spelled "onomatopoeia". And it isn't one. I mean "susurrus" is an onomatopoeia. But onomatopoeia itself isn't.

W.I.T.: Posilutely.

Ok, this isn't necessarily about a specific word, but I was reading a Joss Whedon comic, and one character said something that I just loved because it was ungrammatical but perfect in that Joss-way:

"Why aren't you awesomed by me?!"

Oh, and for those who are into spelling bees... you have to see what word they gave Julie Andrews when she was a guest speller at The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee (it's a stage musical).
                          New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

Man! Y'all beat me to Supercalifra-I'm not gonna try to spell the rest. Ah well. Here's one: Anatidaephobia--the fear that somehow, somewhere, a duck is watching you. And Sarchasm--the gulf between the author of ironic wit and the reader who doesn't get it. Heeheehee.

Try the Buzzwhack website...there's some pretty funny ones.
                            I choose my friends for their good looks, my acquaintances for their good characters, and my enemies for their intellects. A man cannot be too careful in the choice of his enemies. I have not got one who is a fool.--Oscar Wilde

Comment

Validation
                              because so many people are searching for it, and often in the wrong places

Speaking of swahili, sassa is "hello." I love pieces of foreign languages.

Guess what. XD I taught myself integreation by parts tonight, the day before the ap calc exam. XDDD (integration is a good word, no?)
                              Gigo: Hey, it's the person who puts 'asian' in 'caucasian'. Hi, Gryph. | | | wildflower: Hmm... should I side with "Gryph is more insane" based on conclusive evidence, or "Sharky is more insane" based on tradition? | | | [url="http://mariposa-mentiro

Comment

Working...
                              X