No announcement yet.

Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know. Oh, when I do my research, I do it thoroughly, don't doubt it. I'm not really complaining- I actually CHOSE to research her, Bourassa and Stowe from a list of ten names.

I'm just not all too interested in her work. No doubt, they are very good. I'm simply not interested though.

Bc, Prince Edward ISLAND. There's only ONE island! Good observation- yes, Montgomery was from Prince Edward Island herself.

Kitsune Rei

Comment

True, but Rose mentions that what's-her-face is 'going to have to order puppies and rats.' AHEM! *apologetic grin* But honestly, Chinese used to think foreigners ate puppies. *sigh* I guess...for the time...oh well.

"That's right," he said. "We're philosophers. We think, therefore we am."
      -- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)
      *Look kindly upon the decaffienated one*
      http://pub15.ezboard.com/ftimeheartf...opicID=3.topic
      My art place thing - http://paperdragoness.deviantart.com
      OK, so ten out of ten for style, but minus several million for good thinking, yeah?
      --Douglas Adams, HHGG

Comment

Thing is, going back over the posts, it looks like Quill was talking about Under the Lilacs, not Eight Cousins. And I have to admit, I barely remember Under the Lilacs.
        New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

Whoops, whoops, this is my fault for not paying more attention. The stereotypical portrayals of Chinese are mainly in Eight Cousins, mostly when Rose visits the warehouses with her uncle. The marriage of one of Rose's friends to a Chinese gentleman is in the sequel, Rose In Bloom.

Comment

I wonder if it was a deal like Fagin and Riah in Dickens. Apparently, there was a Jewish lady in Dickens' acquaintance who took him to task for the ugly stereotype that was Fagin, so when Dickens went to write Our Mutual Friend, we got Riah. I wonder if someone Chinese-American gave Alcott a little personal heart-to-heart about Eight Cousins.
            New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

Papercrane- Let's be frank about this. If you were starving to death, would you eat a dog, or die? It's rare, but it happens when people are hungry.

Alcott? Margaret Alcott? Canadian... wrote a lot of books... and if you are in Reach for the Top, they ask you a lot of questions on her.

Kitsune Rei

Comment

Sure, but we weren't talking about Survivor. If you read the book, the only reason the girl assumes she might be fed a rat is because the people hosting her to tea are Chinese.

This is triply offensive to someone who's Chinese, because it's never been true. It was an invented slam on Chinese that was cooked up by what we'd now call white supremicists in the 1880s American West and published as if it were fact, and undoubtedly swayed people into voting for the Chinese Exclusion Act of 1882 (a law that did its best to kick Chinese out of the US).

Most people aren't familiar with Asian-American history, but Chinese immigrants in the American West were systematically (and legally) persecuted.

Lynchings (you couldn't testify in court if you were Chinese in California), miscegenation laws, restrictions on movement, residence, employment, exclusion from citizenship and protection of laws, mandatory registration, etc. were all part of the package. Because folks believed the rat story which made it easier to demonize the Chinese and blame them for taking away jobs (actually, the Chinese were something like .002% of the population).

Just saying. Stereotypes can sometimes be dangerous weapons. Champion them at your own risk.

Comment

Quill!! <squee!!!!> They're on Amazon!

The Secret Country
                  The Hidden Land
                  The Whim of the Dragon

Comment

Aurora: That's not the point. I mean, I think during one war Chinese at dogs regularly, and I understand that. But...I think kli6 explains it best. Also, we're talking about Louisa May Alcott. I think we mentioned that a page or two back.
                    <sort of related> Is there an Asian History week or month or day or whatever? I mean, speaking from my statistically-challenged position I'd say there are a sizable number of Asians in America, and we have a Latino something-or-other and a Black History Month...but I have no idea and I have exactly one more minute online.

OK, so ten out of ten for style, but minus several million for good thinking, yeah?
                    --Douglas Adams, HHGG

Comment

Yes, yes, yes!! I have people to tell!! Thank you!!!

Comment

They didn't have WH on Borders...

Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean I'm not being followed...
                        You can tell THEM you're Homeward Bounder.
                        GO TO THE WAR TOPIC
                        "Wisemen talk because they have something to say, fools talk because they have to say something"
                        Comradely, Diego

Blow wind, come wrath; at least I will die with the harness off my back.
                        ------------------------------------------------------------
                        "I know you've come to kill me. Shoot, coward, you will only kill a man." - Che

"Be a real

Comment

papercrane, I think it was May of this year.

A good survey history (not just Chinese-American, but Asian-American overall) is Ronald Takaki's Strangers From a Different Shore. I really regret, now, that I never had the time to take his Asian-American history course when I was at UC Berkeley.

Comment

kli6: Oh, I missed it? *is vaguely disappointed*

--Douglas Adams, HHGG

Comment

No, I was making the point that yes, it is true- but then, if you were starving to death, you'd eat them too. That IS what they do when they are poor and starving in China.

Just like the Witch-hunts...

I'm not American. I'm Canadian. Don't expect me to know much about US history. However, Canada established a Chinese Head Tax in the 1890s, which started at $50 and was raised up to $500 by 1903.

I'm beginning to feel patronised... and I don't like it... This is like arguing with a German over the Second World War and who is a good teacher in the school... Only, see, he respects me to some degree.

~kit.

Kitsune Rei

Comment

Aurora: Yes, I know. I did say. But that's not the point. Look, nobody's trying to patronise you and we do respect you a lot and I think you shouldn't read into stuff so much.

--Douglas Adams, HHGG

Comment

Working...
                                X