No announcement yet.

Has anyone read books by Tamora Pierce?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes! Another RosethornLark shipper. I didn't think of it at all when I first read the books (probably because I was 9), but when I reread them it seemed obvious. Why are there so many gay characters in the Circle books, and so few in Tortall? *clings on to ridiculous theory that Numair is secretly gay*
    -Dreams are nice, but sometimes you have to live in reality. -Perhaps, but dreams are MY reality.
    -It's only impossibe if you believe it is.
    -Existence is belief. I believe in magic, so it's real to me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Silverclaw View Post
      Yes! Another RosethornLark shipper. I didn't think of it at all when I first read the books (probably because I was 9), but when I reread them it seemed obvious. Why are there so many gay characters in the Circle books, and so few in Tortall? *clings on to ridiculous theory that Numair is secretly gay*
      It's kind of sad that three lesbians (Lark, Daja and her girlfriend) and a bisexual woman (Rosethorn) can be classed as "so many gay characters", from where I stand, given how many characters are in the average series... am I the only one who thinks that?

Anyway, yeah, The Will of the Empress gives Lark and Rosethorn's relationship right away for people who couldn't see it in The Healing of the Vine. I love that. *G*
      Las Vegas Boulevard is jammed, and I'm in love...

Comment

• Yes, you're probably right, though I meant in comparison. Though I suppose there are a few in Bloodhound. Unfortunately, there's not a lot of gay characters in fantasy for young people. Sadly, three actually is more than usual. I have no idea why.
        -Dreams are nice, but sometimes you have to live in reality. -Perhaps, but dreams are MY reality.

Comment

• Tamora Pierce!

I love Tamora Pierce's works of writing! I have read Trickster's Choice(<awesome!!!) and part of Trickster's Queen but I don't really like the other ones...But Trickster's Choice is one of my faves!
          (True,) the white hole said. (my name is Khairelikoblepharehglukumeilichephreidosd'enagooun i--) and at the same time he went flickering through a pattern of colors that was evidently the visual translation."Ky--elik" Nita began. "Fred," Kit said quickly.

Comment

• I liked Trickster's Queen a lot too. Who was your favorite character? Personally, I liked Dove a lot. On another topic, what do people think about the book that's supposed to come out about Numair?

Comment

• I have every book written by her in both the Tortallan series and in the Circle of Magic Series. She is my favorite author (sorry Diane (your #2).
              If in a dewdrop there is a world of struggle, what happens when our dewdrop falls?
              Some people are like slinkies, pretty much useless, but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down the stairs.

Comment

• I love ALL of TP's books, every single one, but not so much the Beka Cooper books.Others than that EVERYTHING goes.....I am really excited about the numair books that are coming out soon, I just can't wait!!!!! If you have read all of the Immortalls books, or atleast up to Wolf-Speaker, Then you should read Half-Human, edited by Bruce Coville. It includes a short story about a tree that got turned into a man by a strange mage called Numair.....it made me happy when I RANDOMLY saw that book and I thought OMG Tamora Pierce.....MUST READ.....needless to say, that was the first book I got out of the library that day........It was realy cool!!!I liked the Kel books because she seemed the most human of them all, BUT, Diane might be my favorite.....or maybe Alanna, but then again, Kel is amazing too..... I like them all equally, I gues.....GO TP
                All good books are alike in that they are truer than if they really happened. And after you are finished reading one you feel that all that happened to you and afterwards it all belongs to you: the good and the bad, the ecstasy, the remorse, and the sorrow, the people and the places, and how the weather was.

Comment

• I haven't read all her books, but I am working on them, and I really like them so far. I just wish they were longer... I actually don't buy books under three hundred pages, unless I love the author or know I will read the book many I times (I read all my books many times, so I still buy books under three hundred pages... but if it is a new author and I'm not sure, I try to go through the library)

Since I'm not very far... Beka Cooper and Alanna, mostly, and suggestions for which of her books I should read first?

Dai : )
                  "And on he went, out of sight in unhurried grace; the true dark angel, the unfallen Destroyer, the Pale slayer who never really dies -- seeking for pain to end." Deep Wizardry, page 355 Listen, and I'll tell you a story... of the wind in the trees, and the sun, the moon and the stars... of all of Earth dancing

Comment

• I've read all of her books, except for Bloodhound. I read the first chapter, but then I moved to college. I guess I'll have to go see if I can find it at the library. But I certainly love them. The Immortals quartet is my favorite.

Comment

• A friend and I were discussing pairings in books and we ended up having a rather interesting conversation about the Beka Cooper books.

Me: I just realized something. If you take the five main characters, (Beka, Ersken, Rosto, Anniki, and Kora) and put any two of them together, it more or less works.
                      My friend: *looks at me doubtfully* RostoErsken?
                      Me: I quote, "handsome as the sunrise, if you like that sort of boy".
                      My friend: OK, BekaKora?
                      Me: *after I've stopped laughing,* Oh c'mon. That would totally work.
                      My friend: AnnikiErsken!?!?
                      Me: Yeah well.... I'll work on that one.

Anyway, now that I've rambled on, what do people think about pairings in Terrier and Bloodhound? So far, we haven't seen much but BekaRosto, and some KoraErsken, (and BekaDale, ugh), but we can still speculate, right?

Comment

• BEKAROSTO FTW!!!! Anyway, there's Tunstall and Lady-Knight-Whose-Name-I-Can't-Remember. I always thought they were adorable together. *shudders at the thought of Beka Dale* Down with RiverBoy! Up with the Rogue!

What do you think of Kel's various pairings in her books?
                        Duct tape is like the Force. It has a Light Side, a Dark Side, and it binds the Universe together.
                        "Oh. So...what, you liked it 'cause it was shiny?" - Logan Cale
                        "I'm sixteen. Of course I'm hungry." - Ben Skywalker

Comment

• What exactly, does "FTW" mean? For the world? Flying terrible wangdoodles? Frogs talk wildly? Okay, the last one was unlikely. Yes, I agree. BekaDale: ugh. I frankly didn't really like any of Kel's pairings, probably because I didn't like Kel much. I know she's everyones favorite, but righteous people drive me crazy in real life, and book characters have a similar effect.

Mod comment: For The Win - gf

I see. I still don't get the connection, but thanks.
                          Last edited by Silverclaw; December 17, 2009, 08:47:29 PM.

Comment

• Me too!!

I absolutely love her books! I started reading them when I was in 5th grade, and random quotes from her books always pop into my head, whenever some kind of situation reminds me of what happened in one of her books.

Comment

• I love her books. Even though I am kindof old for them now, I started reading them ages ago, so I don't think I will ever stop.
                              Smile, I suggest reading the Tortall books in order. So The Lioness quartet would come first, then The Immortals, then Protector of the Small, and then Trickster's Choice and Queen (I can't remember the names of that duo). THe Beka Cooper ones I see as coming last because even though they technically happen before the others, I see them as being easier to understand once you are immersed in Tortall. Like a prequel, but its a pre-series. (Is there a name for that?)

And I totally understand having random quotes drift through my mind.
                              You know that an author is good because you can't get certain lines out of your head.

Additionally, I get how some people might not like the characters because they are too goody-goody and such. But I see it more as they face tough decisions and constantly make the right choices. Kel was the most impressive to me just because she was the one without any special powers. She did it all (well mostly) on her own.

Comment

• I wouldn't say Kel's my favorite. In fact it's a tie between Daine, the first books I read; Aly, she's so funny!; and Beka, cause she's just cool and it takes a whole different approach to Tortall. In fact the Beka books show us plenty of the darker side of Tortall, which I love more than most.
                                Duct tape is like the Force. It has a Light Side, a Dark Side, and it binds the Universe together.
                                "Oh. So...what, you liked it 'cause it was shiny?" - Logan Cale
                                "I'm sixteen. Of course I'm hungry." - Ben Skywalker

Comment

Working...
                                X