No announcement yet.

Has anyone read books by Tamora Pierce?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was wondering what people thought of Bloodhound. I thought it was good, but Dale was annoying and Rosto, Anniki, and Kora weren't in it enough. And frankly, however dramatic they try to make it sound, counterfeiting really isn't a very interesting crime.
    -Dreams are nice, but sometimes you have to live in reality. -Perhaps, but dreams are MY reality.
    -It's only impossibe if you believe it is.
    -Existence is belief. I believe in magic, so it's real to me.

Comment

• Comment

• I see what you mean about the emotion counting more than the crime. And it adds an interesting twist. It's easy to be righteous about murder, but counterfeiting is a bit more ethically ambiguous. Speaking of ethics, has anyone noticed the dogs are pretty much guilty of police brutality? Maybe it's just me, I always side with the villains. Sorry about how little sense this post makes.
        -Dreams are nice, but sometimes you have to live in reality. -Perhaps, but dreams are MY reality.

Comment

• I LOVE TAMORA PIERCE!!!!!!!!

I first found out about her when my family and I were camping in vermont and we went to a second-hand bookshop in montpelier, and I had to decide between a book i could get at any bookshop and a book I had never seen before and looked perfect for me. of coarse I chose the second one which resulted me in reading every book there is of hers except the circle books, I didn't really like them. my brother thinks I'm a geek.

I have to say, my fav books are the trickster books with aly-she rocks. the whole spy thing is pretty cool... even though i love knights too. the books just seemed more modern, and i liked that.
          "Just how have I failed to notice Neets is hot?" ~Kit

~Lover of great books ever since she could read~

Comment

• I wasn't as much a fan of Bloodhound as I was of Terrier, for most of the same reasons that you (Silverclaw and dorotheia) have already stated. Counterfeiting can be a serious crime if you think of the fact that ALL of their currency was coin and not paper backed in faith... but I see your point too... I didn't like some of the other things in it, but I'll keep my opinion on those to myself because it's just a personal bone...

I've been thinking of rereading those... maybe I'll listen to them again, I have the audio of some of them...
            There is Always DEEP Shadow where there is MUCH Light!
            "I will meet the terminally clueless today...idiots and those with hairballs for brains.... I do not have to be like them, even though I would dearly love to hit them hard enough to make the empty places between their ears echo..." Rhiow - TVTQ

Comment

• Oh please tell us what you didn't like, this is a discussion thread. I'm curious now.

Comment

• I really like Tamara Pierce. I've read her first 3 quartets that take place in Tortall. I haven't gotten to the library yet to read the two new books. Are they good?

NoxLight - I agree. I also think that the Lioness quartet is her best one from Tortall (that I've read so far).
                Shoot for the moon. If you miss, at least you'll be among the stars. ~ Les Brown

Comment

• Mona0622: yeah. i love them. I liked the first one better though... the second one was not as focused on the problem as the first one is. and personally, I'm a B/R fan. you'll understand that once you read the books.
                  "Just how have I failed to notice Neets is hot?" ~Kit

~Lover of great books ever since she could read~

Comment

• Yes, the two new ones are very good. I also liked the storyline of the first better, but the second was ok too, and introduced some awesome characters, like Okha.

Comment

• I forget this thread was even here!

Well, I had a friend that bugged me for years to read Tamora Pierce, so I started the Lioness Quartet last week. I think I have all of The Immortals, but I need to check... I got a ton at a used bookstore yesterday, so I'm not really sure what I have.

I loooove the Lioness Quartet, as it seems everyone does... I really like Alanna as a character. She's not to stereotype-y as one of those oh so common rebel, independent girls, and her story still stands out from the other girl disguised as boy books I've read.
                      "at least i thought it was a wall. It sure felt like one. It was hard, it was flat. It stretched out on either side of me. You know... wall." -Bobby Pendragon

Comment

• I love Tamora Pierce! I have pretty much all of her Tortall books and the Circle Quartet. I think my favorite is the Beka Cooper series though. Don't know why. Just like them best. But the Lioness quartet is right after.

Comment

• When I saw this thread, i thought i would ramble on about how AWESOME Tamora Pierce is, but everything that I wanted to say was already said!!!I didn't like the Trickster books, the Circle Opens, or the Will of the Empress, or the Beka Cooper books as much as the others...mainly because it was more centered around the fighting and violence. I did like Melting Stones, but it was a little dull.Kel, Alanna, and Diane are my favorites. I have read all her books, and one short story about the tree that was turned into a man when Numair turned Tristan Staghorn into a tree in Wolf Speaker.
                          that's all for now..... Go Tamora Pierce!!!!!!!
                          All good books are alike in that they are truer than if they really happened. And after you are finished reading one you feel that all that happened to you and afterwards it all belongs to you: the good and the bad, the ecstasy, the remorse, and the sorrow, the people and the places, and how the weather was.

Comment

• Re: Bloodhound/Counterfeiting -- I remember reading a post on Pierce's LJ in the middle of writing Bloodhound where she said something to the effect that she had written herself into a corner with the counterfeiting plotline and didn't know how she was going to get out of it. Sounds like she didn't quite manage, huh? I had Bloodhound in my pile of books to browse at Borders the other day, but got bogged down in the middle of "A Fine Romance: Hollywood/Broadway". I may have to go back and get it this weekend, since it's on the bargain table. (And re-order Witch High -- maybe this time I'll actually be able to pay for it. :-) )
                            "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

Comment

• Zirsta, really? Alanna seemed a pretty typical character to me, though I wouldn't go so far as to say stereotypical. Everyone seems to like the Tortall books better then the circle ones, I wonder why? I like the plots of the Tortall books better, but I personally think the Circle ones are better written. It seems like the Tortall books, especially SOTL, go a little overboard on the obvious themes. I have absolutely nothing against books with political agendas, but it's nice when they're at least sort of subtle.

Comment

• *wanders into thread and raises hand in agreement* I'm a fan, too. Not terribly keen on Alanna, haven't finished reading the Protector of the Small series, but I adore all the Circle books, and I'm very definitely a Rosie/Lark 'shipper... I've always had a hard time picking my favourite character of that series, though. I like most of them.
                                Las Vegas Boulevard is jammed, and I'm in love...

Comment

Working...
                                X