No announcement yet.

Has anyone read books by Tamora Pierce?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yeha, i've read them, me favorites are the circle of magic. haven't read them in a long time though, she should continue the series, after the Circle opens. They're good, what other books has she written?

Comment

YAAHHHH! those books are awesome! Tamora happens to be my fave fantasy author in the entire universe!!! i'm using wayyyy too many !! marks, but i mean all of them!!! i've read the Lioness quartet, the Protector of the Small quartet, the Trickster set, the Wild
      Magic quartet, and many of the Circle Opens and the Circle of Magic ones, along with a lot of others. i could ramble on for hours aboout all her characters, really, i could...but i have a feeling you people would get bored...so put it this way, she is brilliant!!!but maybe i will ramble a little...i understand why some people disliked them, because the falling-in-love-thing at the end is a bit cliche, but i am a bit of a hopeless romantic, so of course i love them. i enjoyed all her characters, so don't ask me to choose a fave. i have traits from all of them, which helps me relate to them, and makes the whole thing a whole lot cooler. one thing that was really cool was that i learned alot fromkel, obviously one of my many favorites. no one is going to read this, it is way too long, but oh well.

-peri!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS the Terrier????? enlighten me!!! please!

PPS IT IS MY 100TH POST BIRTHDAY! WOOOOOOOOOOT!

Comment

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">It's not too long, Peridexis. AS far as Terrior and the upcoming books...Tamora Peirce's website has a list of upcoming books and a little about them.
        Here's the link...http://www.tamora-pierce.com/newbook.htm</span>
        ~~~~~~~~
        Should the Transcendent Pig be reading this post...What's the meaning of life?

Comment

The Powers bless you, J*8!!! i am so going to that site and drooling over the discriptions. this will probably end up a one-liner...oh well. it will be one of my few. mostly i just ramble, which makes the post longer.

-peri

Comment

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">You're welcome. It is a good site to know about, even if it doesn't have lots of insane people talking about books...
            like this...
            </span>
            ~~~~~~~~
            Should the Transcendent Pig be reading this post...What's the meaning of life?

Comment

I love Tamora Pierce. I have read all of her books, Tortall and Emelan alike. I personally like the Protecter of the Small and the Cirlce Opens Quartet the best. My favorite book is of course Tricksters Queen.

Comment

I grew up with Tamora Pierce's books. I like Tortall as well, but I have more of a soft spot for Circle of Magic etc. I read Circle Reforged and it was remarkably good.

However, I think her real skill is running her board, sheroes central.

Comment

They are all fantastic, I'm waiting for this latest audiocast to be written down and released (I'm a bookworm, not a tapeworm) and really look forward to anything else she does. I am really looking forward to the book she's going to do on when tris goes to lightsbridge, although I have some reading to catch up on. Well, I hope this is well received, and sorry, I haven't been here for a LONG time

Comment

I love her books, and I've read all of them. My favorites are the first two lioness books, and Squire, but I really like the Emelan books, too. Tamora pierce is definitely one of the best fantasy writers of our time, along with DD, of course

Comment

I'm thinking of reading these books...are they really that good? i'll probably wait before checking it out of the library, anyways, but it's good to know before i actually check it out...I probably need to read it any way, since a couple dragon game members are using references to it in posts and i need to make sure it's compatible...ooops...i'm ranting...Sorry about that! Bye! *goes off to unknown lands such as "the pm club...party mood" and other topics/forums....
                      I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.
                      For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

They're fun reads and decent books, but I wouldn't call Pierce one of the best fantasy writers (or even best YA fantasy writers) of our time. Her main characters are blatent Mary-Sues (and, oddly enough, have gotten worse instead of better - Aly in Trickster is the biggest Mary-Sue I've ever read), the stories aren't particularly deep or complex, and most of the characters aren't really that fleshed out.

On the other hand, don't get me wrong, I do love her books (at least the Tortall ones). They're fun reads, the stories are engaging, and I care about the characters (even, many times, the peripheral ones). Also, her actual writing skills have improved over the years (and books), so the later books are better than the earlier ones (except for the Mary-Sue bit), and she hasn't been afraid to take chances from time to time - hurting or even killing main characters if the plot calls for it, which in a violent medieval-style world is appropriate.

I always suggest that anyone going to read her books read them in order - i.e., if you're going to read the Tortall books, start with Song of the Lioness quartet, then read Immortals, then Protector of the Small, and then the most recent pair, Trickster. I imagine it will make more sense (characters from previous books are included in later series) and also, like I said, her writing improved over time as she wrote them.

(Er. No, I haven't reread a number of her books recently, no...)

Blue~

Comment

Ah, so it's klind of a robert asprin read...his books aren't mary su characters, but they have little filling and the story lines don't have that much deph to them, so i think it's an apporpriate annalogy...I might read them for the same reason i read his books: Sometimes after i reading a book that makes you delve into the pyschology of the character till it hurts, though its always enjoyable, it's GOOD to read a book that you can just relax and enjoy...me and my friend actually got mad once when his stories DID have a complex and interesting tail...i don't READ THEM FOR THAT!
                          I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.
                          For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

I haven't liked her new books all that much Lady Knight, the Trickster books were definitely not her best work, and the Will of the Empress wasn't as good as the original circle books, but the Lioness quartet, immortals, circle of magic, remain excellent young adult fantasy.

Comment

I love Tamora Peirce's books; they're outstounding, and she's an amazing author. The Lioness quartet is one that I can read again and again because I love the story. While they're ungodly fluffy (and I can only take fluffiness in small doses), the plot is fun and exciting.

I didn't like the Circle of Magic or her newer ones as much; The Song of the Lioness is still my favorite.
                              Gigo: Hey, it's the person who puts 'asian' in 'caucasian'. Hi, Gryph. | | | wildflower: Hmm... should I side with "Gryph is more insane" based on conclusive evidence, or "Sharky is more insane" based on tradition? | | | [url="http://mariposa-mentiro

Comment

I LOVE her books! I read all of them, though my favorites are the Immortals quartet, but that's just cuz I'm nutty about animals. I think that sometimes the fluffiness does get a bit much, but other than that. It's all good.
                                Tourist, Rincewind decided, meant "idiot".
                                Terry Pratchett, The Colour of Magic
                                Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.
                                Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

Comment

Working...
                                X